PDA

View Full Version : Normally a box containing motorcycle parts would...

98tls
4th April 2011, 15:51
Have me :woohoo:for joy but this one not so much.After much consideration i went ahead and shelled out for a brand spanking new tank for my old TL (worth about the same) and though its pretty i cant help but think of other stuff i would rather have bought,never mind its here and as its forecast shit weather i will set about coating the inside of it with tank sealer tomorrow as it seems Suzuki didnt bother with the original,what is it with manufacturers of motorcycles ie this and the likes of swingarm bearings devoid of lube from the get go.

Maha
4th April 2011, 16:00
You going to use a Pors kit for the inside?

98tls
4th April 2011, 16:03
You going to use a Pors kit for the inside?

Yea mate,when my oem one started to go bad i tried to save it with the kit but it was past saving sadly.

98tls
4th April 2011, 16:33
Pics of the old one before and after soldering,got worse and rotted out all around fuel pump.

BuzzardNZ
4th April 2011, 16:52
only problem with a brand new tank, is that it makes the finish on the rest of the bike look crap in comparison.

98tls
4th April 2011, 16:55
only problem with a brand new tank, is that it makes the finish on the rest of the bike look crap in comparison.

Not a problem,most of its been covered in the clear plastic from near new,compared it today and to the naked eye no difference.That clear stuff is magic,not one stone chip on a 13 year old bikes fairings,fork legs etc.

BIG DOUG
4th April 2011, 18:10
Yea its piss poor they don't seal tanks,harley are the only company I know of who do seals there tanks

scumdog
4th April 2011, 18:29
Pics of the old one before and after soldering,got worse and rotted out all around fuel pump.

Wow Mike, that's pretty bad for a bike that I don't consider 'old'!:shit:

98tls
4th April 2011, 18:38
Wow Mike, that's pretty bad for a bike that I don't consider 'old'!:shit:

Indeed mate,shocking eh.As where the swingarm bearings all those years ago when i bought the thing,though it was near new i took it to bits to have a gander and found it almost devoid of any lube in places where there should have been plenty,not just a Suzuki thing i would say.Thank fuck the rest of the bodyworks plastic eh.

nallac
4th April 2011, 18:38
+1 to what scumdog said...

Its not that old at all.........

Elysium
4th April 2011, 18:46
Surely fuel tanks don't rot that quick do they?

Yea its piss poor they don't seal tanks,harley are the only company I know of who do seals there tanks

Really? I'd assume most bike manufactures did.

98tls
4th April 2011, 19:01
Surely fuel tanks don't rot that quick do they?

Really? I'd assume most bike manufactures did.

Just like you/me/everyone would assume they would encase bearings in lube,mines proof that tanks do rot that quick,the things been housed in a garage for the last 10 years so theres no putting it down to the elements.The rest of it is as new,actually its better.

98tls
4th April 2011, 19:09
+1 to what scumdog said...

Its not that old at all.........

Much of the bloody things pretty much new mate:innocent:

pete376403
4th April 2011, 19:12
[QUOTE=Elysium;1130027977]Surely fuel tanks don't rot that quick do they?/QUOTE]

Second only to 70s/80s exhausts.
Consider the "inside of the tank' environment - continuously washed in solvent (so no oily coating will ever survive), containing some water (from either condensation or crap handling by fuel companies) which always sits on the bottom of the tank. In that light it's a wonder that tanks last as long as they do.

98tls
4th April 2011, 19:22
[QUOTE=Elysium;1130027977]Surely fuel tanks don't rot that quick do they?/QUOTE]

Second only to 70s/80s exhausts.
Consider the "inside of the tank' environment - continuously washed in solvent (so no oily coating will ever survive), containing some water (from either condensation or crap handling by fuel companies) which always sits on the bottom of the tank. In that light it's a wonder that tanks last as long as they do.

About it pete,over the years ive had many laughs at peoples reaction when i start the TL up on Sunday mornings at bike rallys after its sat outside all night,it has a clear clutch cover and it completely clouds over on start up so i have people coming out with "your sumps full of water mate" and similar.Clears up 5 minutes later.Amazing how much moisture gets inside even a motor.Couldnt find a pic i had of it covered up in white milky shit.

98tls
4th April 2011, 19:37
Found one,fwiw.