PDA

View Full Version : V-Rod and Street-Rod day at WMC

Hitcher
26th June 2005, 14:40
Thanks to a phone call yesterday morning from Jim2, we both managed to spend some time in the saddles of the new Harley Davidson V-Rod and Street-Rod, courtesy of Wellington Motorcycles.

This was a first for me on a few fronts: First time ride on ANY Harley; first time ride on a big V-twin; first time with indicator switches on both grips.

After completing the requisite paperwork and deciding on a suitably tortuous and challenging route, Jim2 hopped on the Street-Rod and me on the V-Rod.

Fired it up. It sounded like a Harley. Levers, pegs and controls all pretty straightforward (apart from the ignition switch stuck under one's bum). Clicked into first, wait for a break in the Saturday morning traffic, and then off down Kent Terrace to the first set of lights.

First impression: The engine is gorgeous. It doesn't feel like a twin. And it likes to rev out.

Second impression: Nice horn.

Third impression: Now where's that ferkin left indicator switch?

After a brief discussion outside Regional Wines and Spirits, we meandered up and around Mt Victoria, around through Roseneath and back down to Evans Bay Marina. There are some nice, tight turns in here that are good for testing the low speed performance of bikes as well as the brakes. The V-Rod scored well on all counts. The noise coming out of the back of Jim2's Street-Rod was gorgeous!

Noting that the road through the Shelly Bay Air Force base was closed, we went to Plan B, and excurted through Miramar and over the hill to the Worser Bay Yacht Club prior to our first bike change at Seatoun.

My turn now on the Street Rod. Surprisingly comfortable. Fumble with the indicators and then off after Jim2.

First impression: Wow, these bars are wide.

Second impression: Where's the instrument panel?

Third impression: What a beautiful gearbox!

We continued around the South Coast and up the inappropriately named Happy Valley Road, stopping just before the Brooklyn shops for a tyre kick and a ride change. And then back to WMC.

Never again will I pour scorn at a Harley, certainly not those with the new generation Porsche engine and gearbox. They are a stunning unit. Not much vibration and happy both to lug and rev out. Nicely responsive to the throttle and with a delicious exhaust note. The Street-Rod we had had custom pipes and was more of a full-noise experience than was the V-Rod.

The Street-Rod was a real surprise. Surprisingly agile -- very happy to weave cats eyes at 70kmh -- and with a nice taut chassis. The Brembo brakes gave it heaps of smooth stopping power. At first flush the seat felt a bit hard on the nether regions, but after a few ks I would have felt comfortable riding it all day.

I was disappointed both with the choice of graphics and the location of the instrument panel on the Street-Rod. Whereas on the V-Rod these were just about perfectly located for a rider of my build.

Jim2 may have some thoughts about his riding experiences that he may like to add.

I realised afterwards that I really miss riding a naked bike...

James Deuce
26th June 2005, 16:56
I don't have much to say except to reiterate your points really.

They are both excellent motorcycles. That's right. Irrespective of our desire to label and categorise "things", both 'Rods are just great motorcycles. In fact, if their low speed steering wasn't a little odd in that they tend to flop around under about 30 km/hr, they'd make a near perfect motorcycle for NZ conditions.

The Street Rod was the one for me, though Hitcher made it look like a toy - he was all elbows and knees!

If I'd known I was on Mr Dundon's personal ride, I don't think I would have chucked it about quite so much!

Lou Girardin
27th June 2005, 09:33
Hee Hee! more converts. But they don't sound like Harleys.

skidz
27th June 2005, 11:08
Yeah, if your gonna ride a Harley, you should make sure it's a real Harley your riding. I had a go on a V Rod one time, and yes they can go and handle pretty good as well. try out a couple of others and see what you think.

sels1
27th June 2005, 15:00
both managed to spend some time in the saddles of the new Harley Davidson ...

Yeah, you guys were out for ages..... :nono: :rofl:

But it was quite fun and interesting to try the Harleys out, I can now see the attraction of the cruiser style bike (more comments on the other WMCC thread)
And while you were away I got to try the Trumph Rocket........ :whistle:

Hitcher
27th June 2005, 20:34
Yeah, you guys were out for ages...
And while you were away I got to try the Trumph Rocket...
Rocket? What Rocket?

And what was it like?

Big Dave
27th June 2005, 22:38
Rocket? What Rocket?

And what was it like?

Like nothing else you have ever ridden.
It's a word I tend to try and avoid when describing bikes, but....'awesome' is an appropriate adjective for a Rocket III.

Lou Girardin
28th June 2005, 09:42
Rocket? What Rocket?

And what was it like?

I'll let you know when I snaffle it one weekend.

skidz
28th June 2005, 10:16
Like nothing else you have ever ridden.
It's a word I tend to try and avoid when describing bikes, but....'awesome' is an appropriate adjective for a Rocket III.
Those Rockets are a work of art. A mate has one, and he just loves it. He's a bit worried about his licence cos they are too easy to get up to speed.

sels1
28th June 2005, 15:28
Rocket? What Rocket?

And what was it like?

I'm not big into cruisers, and I dont use the word much either, but like Big Dave says..... awesome.

Dafe
29th June 2005, 19:12
Well, Its nearly a week now and I can't stop thinking about the VRSCR Harley Streetrod.
I've been running calculations over and over.
Interesting to see everybody talking so highly of the RocketIII though. So I'm gonna check it out in the weekend. I'll have to ride the VRod and the Rocket III to get a real good comparison.
Man, those cruisers just Rock! The Rocket III looked to big to me but I'll try it just because you guys are rating it!
Out of curiosity, did anyone try the VRod and Rocket? Whats you comparison opinions?