PDA

View Full Version : Skype via Sony PSP, won't connect

pzkpfw
4th April 2011, 22:15
So: my PSP (3002) will connect to the internet, at home, on my wirelsss network. I use it to go to the Playstation shop and not buy the game$.

Using my PC I finally signed up for a Skype account, and it seems to log on OK that way.

Using the Skype app on my PSP, however, after entering name and password it won't connect... it comes up with a "firewall" type message.

I suspect (for no real reason) it's something to do with what my Wireless router/ADSL modem is letting the PSP do, port-wise.

(It's a Netgear DG834G)

Any suggestions?

Gubb
4th April 2011, 22:24
WPA or WEP?
I had issues with one of them, but can't remember which. After switching the security, it worked fine for me, and was a cool free way to ring home from the States.

pzkpfw
4th April 2011, 22:36
I'm running my wireless on WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

...which is fine for general Internet access. I can browse stuff.co.nz on the PSP (and have been meaning to try the kiwibiker RSS feed on it...)

scracha
18th April 2011, 20:22
I'm running my wireless on WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

...which is fine for general Internet access. I can browse stuff.co.nz on the PSP (and have been meaning to try the kiwibiker RSS feed on it...)

1) Update your PSP to latest firmware.....this may fix it
2) Set the PSP to a static IP (one that doesn't conflict or is higher up the DHCP range) or get the Wifi router to allocate it the same IP address from the DHCP pool.
3) Easiest option is to then set the PSP to the DMZ (demilitarized zone) - might be under NAT on your router.
4) Other option is to open the required skype ports on the firewall (I can't be fucked looking for the port numbers...you've got google)

pzkpfw
18th April 2011, 21:04
4) Other option is to open the required skype ports on the firewall (I can't be fucked looking for the port numbers...you've got google)

Your options are good.

I have googled, and also asked the same question on the skype forum ( http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=809383 ). Haven't found the answer yet. No one seems to have recorded which ports the PSP uses for Skype. (Only how to find/set it, on a PC).

(I can open ports for a specific IP, so if I give the PSP a fixed IP this may be the way to go... just open them all, but only for the PSP.)

((There's also a setting for "Default DMZ Server", which I'll have a crack at too, once I assign the PSP a fixed IP.))

Cheers,

pzkpfw
18th April 2011, 21:36
Well looky there - after I gave the PSP a fixed IP address, then told the router to make it the default DMZ server... I was able to log on to Skype.

Cheers! (If I ever visit earth I'll buy you a beer.)

(The really dumb thing? Once I was able to log on, I could go to a settings screen that did tell me what port it was using.

But, not knowing that port was what was stopping me from logging on.

(It may change everytime, so I'll check it now and then... because then (maybe) I can open that port for the PSP and remove the DMZ setting.))

Edit to add: saw there is a setting in PSP/Skype to make it use "normal" ports 80 and 443 (i.e. regular web type stuff) as a fall-back, so I might try opening those two ports for UDP for the PSP's newly fixed IP, and remove the DMZ thing, and see if it still works....