PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade bike jitters?

danielle
4th April 2011, 22:40
Hi all,

So ive had my er6n (upgraded from a fxr150) for about 2 weeks now. And as Palmy weather goes, last Sunday was my first real opportunity for a lengthy ride with some twisties.

Now i don't know if this is normal or not, because i see my friends jumping on and off of each others bike with no issues but i feel like i'm learning to ride again with this new bike. We took the apiti/pohongina loop, and on my first corner i freaked out (even though i know i was going a good speed to get around the corner), put my front brake on just as i started to enter the corner which stood the bike up and totally freaked me right out. The rest of the ride i just tried to concentrate on the things i learnt at the pro rider training day, entering the corner late, moving my weight on the bike etc and i managed to shake it towards the last 20ks.

Is this normal to feel this on a new bike? I feel it just with cornering, and i think its to do with knowing the bikes limits, and how to use the throttle (in slow corner situations). I think experience is the real factor and it looks like i will have to ride more to get it.....what a shame....

I guess i have now answered my own question!:blink: But feel free to comment.

Danielle

hayd3n
4th April 2011, 22:59
yes its just like a new partner you have to learn how far you can push, before they snap at ya

miloking
5th April 2011, 01:33
....put my front brake on just as i started to enter the corner which stood the bike up and totally freaked me right out....

Is this normal to feel this on a new bike? I feel it just with cornering, and i think its to do with knowing the bikes limits.......

Hitting front brake when just entering corner, generaly not a good idea on any bike....

About knowing bikes limits....the bike can go way ...way futher then you think.... 99% of the time rider skill is the limit not the bikes cornering ability....

And even tho its likely that you are completely freaked out on a new bike, its not always the case.... for example i started off on a Bandit GSF400 and then jumped straight on my CBR1000 and on way home (first ride) it felt like i've been riding it for years, when compared to shitty suspension and riding possition of the Bandit...so i guess depends on a bike.

I reckon you need to trust yourself and your er6n more...(i bet it actualy corners like on rails, such a light bike...)

Gremlin
5th April 2011, 01:43
Yep, experience is it. When in the early stages of learning, a bike change can be a challenge. Once you have a few years under your belt, a few different bikes, capacities, etc, it becomes a piece of cake, just like changing cars.

Genie
5th April 2011, 05:16
I'd say it would be quite normal....you've been used to riding a bike a certain way, you were intimate with that bike, you knew it. Now, you riding a complete 'stranger' gonna take a wee while to become intimate with your new bike. All the best, take you time, like anything in life, if you take your time you'll get loads of enjoyment. Stay safe.

Mom
5th April 2011, 06:25
Just take your time getting to know your new bike. As Gremlin says once you have ridden a few bikes it becomes second nature. I just picked up my new bike, and spent the weekend getting to know her. How quickly does she engine brake at this speed to this gear sort of stuff.

How to find the kick stand :o

Enjoy!

sinfull
5th April 2011, 07:19
The Apiti loop prob not the best ride to start out on lol Pleased to hear you made it round !

Yes everyone can and often does get that very same feeling you had entering that corner ! More often than not they hit the rear brake too and well, ya can imagine the panic and what happens when they start sliding as well !

Done it myself on a few occasions, it only takes a fraction of doubt to set it off in ya head and make ya think damn i'm going in too hot !

My answer was track work, lots of it ! Now if that doubt pops in (and it still does) i can fob it off with knowing the bike can lean/take a corner twice as tight !
So in other words confidence in ya bike as well as you ovbviously now having more confidence in your ability after them ride days !

I'd start with tyres (are they the best allrounder you could have on there) and settings (bet ya aint checked them yet)

Have a read of this and maybe get them Manawatu boys to give ya a hand one day !
http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

CookMySock
5th April 2011, 08:02
Hrm, quite unlike another well-known KB lady rider who is ended up in hospital very bent out of shape, at least you are still upright!

It's just a bike. You just steer it with the bars. Thats all!

The ER6N will corner dramatically better than the FXR, particularly at highway speeds, so if you find yourself just slightly quick in a corner just reassure yourself and say out loud to yourself "steer with the bars - just steer with the bars" and watch it all work out. Of course, this is assuming you don't have flat tires, road is wet, gravel on the corner, or going wayyy too quick, or some other anomaly, but even dealing with one or more of those things, you are still better served mumbling the same mantra to yourself and forcing yourself into doing it, even if you don't believe it - 95% of the time it will just work out, and 95% of the time you don't do it will end up in disaster, so just do it.

Really, on such a new and intimidating beast, you should be out on your own just consolidating, or riding at the very front or the very rear of any group if you should be group-riding at all.

Be careful out there. Girlie skin, hair, and bone chips on the road is one of the most terrible things in the whole world. :facepalm:

fatzx10r
5th April 2011, 08:07
Hrm, quite unlike another well-known KB lady rider who is ended up in hospital very bent out of shape, at least you are still upright!

It's just a bike. You just steer it with the bars. Thats all!

The ER6N will corner dramatically better than the FXR, particularly at highway speeds, so if you find yourself just slightly quick in a corner just reassure yourself and say out loud to yourself "steer with the bars - just steer with the bars" and watch it all work out. Of course, this is assuming you don't have flat tires, road is wet, gravel on the corner, or going wayyy too quick, or some other anomaly, but even dealing with one or more of those things, you are still better served mumbling the same mantra to yourself and forcing yourself into doing it, even if you don't believe it - 95% of the time it will just work out, and 95% of the time you don't do it will end up in disaster, so just do it.

Really, on such a new and intimidating beast, you should be out on your own just consolidating, or riding at the very front or the very rear of any group if you should be group-riding at all.

Be careful out there. Girlie skin, hair, and bone chips on the road is one of the most terrible things in the whole world. :facepalm:

are you retarded?

sinfull
5th April 2011, 08:11
are you retarded?
Some say !!!!

Tunahunter
5th April 2011, 08:15
How to find the kick stand :o

I love that comment!

Eyegasm
5th April 2011, 09:46
are you retarded?

Rhetorical question?

I find that looking round the corner is the best thing I can do.
Everything else just falls into place after that. It is an instinct that kicks in.
Do not ask me how it works, don't know and don't care as long as it keeps on doing it.

bastardsquad
5th April 2011, 10:00
Hitting front brake when just entering corner, generaly not a good idea on any bike....

I reckon you need to trust yourself and your er6n more...(i bet it actualy corners like on rails, such a light bike...)

Couldnt agree more. Select appropriate gearing and entry speed before entering corner. If you're braking on entry on the street hard enough to stand the bike up, you're going in way too hot. I ride one of these and they do corner VERY well, mine's on Pilot Road 2 's - recommend these as great tyres for this machine. Sounds like some countersteering practice might help you too....

Tony W
5th April 2011, 15:58
Lots of good comments.
Just keep practising, and in a couple of weeks your new bike will feel like home.
Please let us know how you go.

R-Soul
5th April 2011, 16:10
I'd say it would be quite normal....you've been used to riding a bike a certain way, you were intimate with that bike, you knew it. Now, you riding a complete 'stranger' gonna take a wee while to become intimate with your new bike. All the best, take you time, like anything in life, if you take your time you'll get loads of enjoyment. Stay safe.

She should ride more strangers to get used to it. :shutup:

george formby
5th April 2011, 17:07
Yeah, definitely ride more, the more the better. I went out for a run yesterday. The first time since Paeroa & it felt bloody awful initially. After a few K's & some roadworks to get the body moving I was fine, back in the groove.

Make sure your bike is tickety boo so that it does not worry you. If your riding with others give yourself plenty of room so you can watch the road & control your speed, not other riders. Always physically look were you want to go, your body input will make the bike move easier & react to your input smoother.

I'm pretty sure it's just "new bike" syndrome. I stepped up from a 125cc to a 750cc, what a behemoth it was until I got used to it. Never looked back.

Enjoy!!!!

Mokadah
5th April 2011, 17:22
My ER6N felt very weird after upgrading from a Spada, big and clunky and (to me) scarily powerful. It soon wears off when you get to know it.

Then I bought some proper boots and it was like learning to ride again!

FROSTY
5th April 2011, 17:46
Hi all,

So ive had my er6n (upgraded from a fxr150) for about 2 weeks now. And as Palmy weather goes, last Sunday was my first real opportunity for a lengthy ride with some twisties.

Now i don't know if this is normal or not, because i see my friends jumping on and off of each others bike with no issues but i feel like i'm learning to ride again with this new bike. We took the apiti/pohongina loop, and on my first corner i freaked out (even though i know i was going a good speed to get around the corner), put my front brake on just as i started to enter the corner which stood the bike up and totally freaked me right out. The rest of the ride i just tried to concentrate on the things i learnt at the pro rider training day, entering the corner late, moving my weight on the bike etc and i managed to shake it towards the last 20ks.

Is this normal to feel this on a new bike? I feel it just with cornering, and i think its to do with knowing the bikes limits, and how to use the throttle (in slow corner situations). I think experience is the real factor and it looks like i will have to ride more to get it.....what a shame....

I guess i have now answered my own question!:blink: But feel free to comment.

Danielle

You're going from a super light. easy to toss around 150 to a mid sized/mid weight bike having I'm guessing not ridden other bikes so yes you will notice a fair difference. If you try to ride it the same as you did the FXR you'll think its slow to change direction and really grunty on the throttle. So treating the bike with respect right now isn't a bad thing.
All completely normal. I tend to agree with Sinful -- doing a trackday will help. Think of the track as 4-6 km of road with no cars to distract you.
That said-something else to do is "stop thinking too much"
That sounds contrary to my advice above but what I'm getting at is that part of the whole strangeness of the new bike can be you aren't relaxed physically so you are feeling every jolt and bump. By not thinking too much you may relax and get in tune with the bike.

danielle
5th April 2011, 19:51
I have ridden other bikes including a gsxr600, 900 hornet and vtr1000. Its just this was my first time really in the twisties. I just gota keep practicing and relax.

Thanks guys