PDA

View Full Version : Ducati 999. I feel dirty...

White trash
6th April 2011, 17:00
2002 and Ducati unveiled to the world its long awaited replacement for the stunning, but long in the tooth, 998. The last in a long line of 916 shaped machines and for my mind the single best looking production sports bike ever built. I'd ridden a 916 and hated everything about it except the sound it made. Still had wet dreams over how it looked though.

So the covers came off the triple nine and once the camera flashes finished blinding the public, I gasped. Then gagged. Then threw up in my mouth a little. Then I laughed. I wondered out loud to anyone who'd listen, just how the spaghetti slurpers in Bologna had for so long built a machine no one could even come close to in styling, had dreamed up this monstrosity. I didn't give a flying rats about adustable seating, rear sets or steering head. More power, who gives a shit. Proper swingarm, doesn't matter. "LOOK at the thing, it's fucken terrible" I proclaimed loudly.

Move forward nine years and I'm wondering if I'm getting old. RB Auckland had recently traded a 2004 example, 2 owners with only 26000kays and we were lucky enough to be getting it. "Good stock" I commented.......... then wondered if I'd actually just said that or thought it privately. Turns out I'd said it, not sure where it came from.

So the bike arrives and I'm looking at it carefully. It's stunning! Very minimal in its design and approach, the friggen rear cowl doesn't even cover the muffler for Christs sake! Adjustable subframe and rearsets to suit varying body shapes suddenly seems cool, as does the quick ride height adjuster. Levers, resevoirs even the sidestand are all stylishly crafted and look exotic. I'm getting a little chubby here, weird.

So I thought I'd better take it for a quick spin and see if it disappoints as much as the 916 did all those years back. My riding style has changed a little in the past ten years after all.

Typically slow to crank starter mottor lugs the engine over a couple of times before she fires into life and begins idling perfectly, Termignoni muffler bellowing out that Testastretta for the whole neighbourhood to goof off on. Get some temperature on the dash before disengaging the rattly dry clutch and grab first gear. No Chain snatch or engine lugging as I pull away strikes me as a bit weird, this is a Ducati isn't it? As the road speed increases I'm instantly aware of the very tall gearing but intrigued at the lack of vibration. Hand on heart, this is the smoothest V-twin I've ever ridden. Low revs, low speed there's a bit of a vibe that makes the mirrors fuzzy but feed it a handfull and instead of lurching and snatching like an SV1000 does for instance, there's just tonnes of drive and glorious V-twin music.

Shortcut to the motorway and through the Dowse drive interchange, there's a little bit of steering effort required, more than say an R6, but the bike is impeccably balanced and confidence inspiring. As I accelerate through the rev range I'm rewarded with fantastic acceleration, building stronger as the tacho climbs. Like all good italian rev counters there's no redline so I grab gears at around 10K, bike's still pulling hard at these revs though. The speedo's reading some pretty silly numbers so I peg back on the throttle and grab the last two gears into sixth. From memory the motor's turning over at a very lazy 3750 at 100kph but still gives really good drive if you twist the wrist. Inspiring performance is how I'd describe it. Yes an R1 or a GSXR will thrash the hell out of the 999 in a straight line but somehow I just don't care any more. Braking for some lights from 100kph and the front end feels great, nice and compliant but still offering a heap of feedback through the Pirelli Diablo. Brakes are as you'd expect from Brembo monoblocks, more than adequate in their power but offering superb feel through the semi radial master cylinder and lever. Being Italian, braded lines are standard.

I managed to get a quick run through some constant radius turns, and oh yes, this thing holds a line and feels soooo predictable. The Diablos aren't my first choice of tyre and for a bike like this, likely only to see dry days in perfect weather I'd personally go for something a little more track focussed. That's just me though.

Unfortunately, there was work to be done so with much regret I headed back towards work. Grinning like a loon and imagining the fun that could be had with this bike on a nice twisty, empty road.

I'm back at work. Without a word of a lie, I have NEVER ridden a bike that I've wanted to own as much as this one. I'm totally smitten and don't even want to sell it to make money so I can maybe one day afford a nice bike again. Every single thing about this bike turns me on. I can live with the sore wrists and left forearm pump from the stupidly heavy clutch actuation. The heat from the exhaust making my nuts sweat is reminding me of what a glorious, emotive machine that I'm riding.

It's coming home tonight so I can take photos of it in my garage and I can then dream of what it would be like to not have four beautiful kids and one beautiful Ducati instead.

I'm off for a cold shower then I've got nine years of apologising to Pierre Terblanche for sullying his genius and good name for the same time.

My god I'm in love.

EJK
6th April 2011, 17:07
Hot damn</10char>

Maha
6th April 2011, 17:38
Thats alot of lovin' right there....:love:

Kickaha
6th April 2011, 17:58
I'm off for a cold shower then I've got nine years of apologising to Pierre Terblanche for sullying his genius and good name for the same time.

My god I'm in love.

Pierre is responsible for all the ugly ones, I wouldn't bother apologising just yet

AllanB
6th April 2011, 18:10
A chubby, sweaty balls and a cold shower required.

You should buy it.

The kids will understand and they don't really need blue-ray players and 50 inch TV's.

Hasn't that designer just gone to Norton?

Kickaha
6th April 2011, 18:29
Hasn't that designer just gone to Norton?

That's Norton well fucked then :facepalm:

White trash
6th April 2011, 19:02
Got it home. It may or may not wheelie. Depends who's asking.

I'm running off to Las Vegas to get married to it...................

Cloggy
6th April 2011, 19:18
Hmmm, Dave (RevDJ) hasn't found this thread yet.:scratch:

Not a bad sales tactic though, now everyone will want to buy this bike. :yes:

blackdog
6th April 2011, 19:21
Hmmm, Dave (RevDJ) hasn't found this thread yet.:scratch:

Not a bad sales tactic though, now everyone will want to buy this bike. :yes:

Ross too. I'm sure they'll both be along shortly to confirm the wheelie thing.

White trash
6th April 2011, 19:23
Ross too. I'm sure they'll both be along shortly to confirm the wheelie thing.

I "imagine" it'd be one of the easiest bikes to wheelie ever made. And I've imagined a few wheelies on a few different bikes in my time.

carbonhed
6th April 2011, 19:34
What a great write up... they look a lot better in the flesh than in any photo I've ever seen. Dave's is lovely... used to belong to Glen Williams I believe... it's particularly nice when it's switched off :yes:

Taz
6th April 2011, 19:44
I have struggled to wheelie Cary's convincingly and I usually don't struggle to wheelie.

White trash
6th April 2011, 19:48
I have struggled to wheelie Cary's convincingly and I usually don't struggle to wheelie.

Are you for real? Ray Charles just called and said that Helen Keller taught him how to wheelie one.

Edit: I've just been informed prolonged wheelies can cause issues with oil spillage due to the placement of the crankcase breather. I'll knock that shit off now.

blackdog
6th April 2011, 19:58
I'll knock that imaginary shit off now.

:shit: :woohoo:

White trash
6th April 2011, 20:01
:shit: :woohoo:

Whoops. Thanks.

grantnz
6th April 2011, 21:31

ha ha, I know how you feel

pete376403
6th April 2011, 23:34
Sounds very nice - any idea why the previous owner got rid of it? I'd imagine a bike as good as this would be a keeper.

Paul in NZ
7th April 2011, 08:12
As you age and the bikes become more seen the wierdness seems to disapate...

Of course the REAL difference is that while you once looked at it asking, hmm, would I buy that?, now you are thinking, crikey, how can I sell that?... Time and circumstance changes a man...

Riff Raff
7th April 2011, 08:44
Ah! Now I know why there's no ring on my finger....

Paul in NZ
7th April 2011, 08:51
Ah! Now I know why there's no ring on my finger....

No the real reason is that you are far to nice and understanding... Let me know if you need a course in creative nagging and whistful sighing 101

Drew
8th April 2011, 09:41
I don't think it's just cos he wants to sell it, I couldn't shut him up about the thing when he got it home.

I never really looked at the bike objectively when I rode one, I only had it to race the hillclimb, and it was surprising how close I came to winning on it.

Crasherfromwayback
8th April 2011, 10:04
I "imagine" it'd be one of the easiest bikes to wheelie ever made. And I've imagined a few wheelies on a few different bikes in my time.

Ride a gen two Hayabusa and get back to me Sonny. By the way...they're still the ugliest Ducati EVER made.

Paul in NZ
8th April 2011, 12:11
Ride a gen two Hayabusa and get back to me Sonny. By the way...they're still the ugliest Ducati EVER made.

Not even close - have you ever seen an Apollo?

Crasherfromwayback
8th April 2011, 12:13

Hahaha...yeah think I've seen a picture of one some time ago. Funky!

riffer
8th April 2011, 12:23

You've obviously blanked the Paso out of your mind dude.

Crasherfromwayback
8th April 2011, 12:32
You've obviously blanked the Paso out of your mind dude.

Yeah...as we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. And I actually appreciate some folk love the 999. I actually thought the Paso was ok. I guess the main shock to me was, the 916 shape to the 999 was a huge backward step in styling to me. The 999 was for sure a far better bike to ride though.

jim.cox
8th April 2011, 13:42

Or worse, an Indianna

Mind you the current StreetFrrightener is pretty bad too...

johan
8th April 2011, 15:03
the 999 reminds me of this bad boy

racefactory
8th April 2011, 16:06
Nice read man, good shit. Get some pics up of that thing.

It looks shit in some photos like the one there at red baron but I know these things look awesome.

congrats.

Dogboy900
8th April 2011, 16:08
A great write up on it.

Sadly no matter how nice it is to ride I am not sure I could buy one after years of making fun of Ducati's breaking down and calling them Du Crappies. My friends might laugh me into oblivion! (That and the price tag of course!)

John_H
8th April 2011, 21:59
Great bike. Dave's only gripe to me has been the meager 150kms he can get from a tank of fuel if he nurses it along.

Rhys
8th April 2011, 22:27
Great bike. Dave's only gripe to me has been the meager 150kms he can get from a tank of fuel if he nurses it along.
you don't buy a ducati for its fuel economy :shit:

mikeey01
8th April 2011, 23:43
Nice write up WT.

So why do you buy a Ducati?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/90921-Wot-s-the-Ducati-difference?p=1903060#post1903060

eelracing
11th April 2011, 05:25
Pierre is responsible for all the ugly ones, I wouldn't bother apologising just yet

That's Norton well fucked then :facepalm:

I don't agree at all coz as a designer he had the balls to stamp his own mark on the what is afterall an iconic bike...hell how do you follow on from the 916 series?
If you have any brains you don't try in the first place.The current 1198 is really only a uninspired up-date of the 916 at best.The 999 is it's own bike and a fucking bargain at current second hand prices,if I was a pasta fan i'd snap one up in a second.

I do like the Motard and Paul Smart/classic replica's and if he puts that kind of thought into Norton it can only lead to good things.

The worst thing Norton could do is be like Triumph and take historic names like Bonneville and Thruxton and ...well,you've seen the results.

Devil
11th April 2011, 10:30
I didn't know you could string that many words together, Jimmy. :drinkup:

Nice, will have to try one some day.

codgyoleracer
12th April 2011, 08:24

They do wheelie aye,......... Show me any other nigh on ten year old bike that still looks like its making statement in the current day. The 999 is the banker of the family & they are good buying at the moment. The red framed Testastreta motors pump out a lot more neddies though and i preferred the fairing design of those ones.

The earliest 916 is the other choice, but park it dont ride it - (unless you feel fit enough to be pushing it on the odd occasion) :-)

Ducky848
12th April 2011, 11:43
I still think the 999 is a bit ugly compared to the 916 and 1098 shape. It's almost like they tried too hard with the 999 to make it different from the earlier generation.

SPman
12th April 2011, 17:41
When the 999 came out, I went urrrrrgh with the rest. These days I quite like it - in fact - I prefer it to the 1098's - as Jimmy says - quite clean and minimilist. We get the whole gamut out our way, of a weekend (2 Desmosedicis and a Bayliss replica 1198 last weekend, a pair of 998s the w/e before that, and 996's, a dime a dozen - also a nice 999R - it looked neat and trim beside the others)
I'd like one, actually.

Crasherfromwayback
12th April 2011, 17:59
also a nice 999R -

I got to ride a black 999S. I think the black suited it better than red, as it hid it's shape a bit. It was fantastic to ride.

grantnz
12th April 2011, 19:59

Has Dave ever ridden one? At 100kms the fuel light comes on at Manfeild trackdays and you still have 4 litres left. Touring with a pack on the way to Burt Monro rally at 135 to 140km/p/h you get 200kms before the light comes on and you have 3.5 to 4 litres left.
(16 litre tank)
Done 46,000 kms now over 3 years and service costs at 20,000km ($858.00 ) and 40,000 kms
( $720.00). Change oil and filter every 5,000 kms.
Michelin Pilot Powers last 7,000km on the back because they have suspension that works ( 3500 to 5000 km on the TLR 1000 Suzuki)

John_H
12th April 2011, 20:08
Has Dave ever ridden one? At 100kms the fuel light comes on at Manfeild trackdays and you still have 4 litres left. Touring with a pack on the way to Burt Monro rally at 135 to 140km/p/h you get 200kms before the light comes on and you have 3.5 to 4 litres left.
(16 litre tank)
Done 46,000 kms now over 3 years and service costs at 20,000km ($858.00 ) and 40,000 kms
( $720.00). Change oil and filter every 5,000 kms.
Michelin Pilot Powers last 7,000km on the back because they have suspension that works ( 3500 to 5000 km on the TLR 1000 Suzuki)

Yes he owns one.

98tls
12th April 2011, 20:29
Nice write up WT.

So why do you buy a Ducati?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/90921-Wot-s-the-Ducati-difference?p=1903060#post1903060

Read that and had a chuckle to be honest,Ducatis history is full of fuck-ups for sure,owned a few myself way back inspired by the olds mans 860 (not so much) 78 900ss and 80ss,made the mistake of buying when old enough first an 89 750 Sport (:facepalm:) which would have to rank in the top 10 fuckups of all time then almost as bad a 900ss post Cagiva.Twice bitten so never again did i venture back.Got a good mate with an 851 though his reason for not riding it has nothing to do with keeping it nice.All that said n done i would almost sell my soul for 78 900ss,that was a Ducati with a difference,the rest of em has about as much so called "lack of character as a Jappa".:shit:Actually chuck in a Hailwood rep (just to shut Kickaha up):innocent:

Crasherfromwayback
12th April 2011, 22:46
:Actually chuck in a Hailwood rep (just to shut Kickaha up):innocent:

As long as it's a Mille. Much better than the 900.

jim.cox
13th April 2011, 09:02
As long as it's a Mille. Much better than the 900.

No way Dude - the 1982 / 1983 model is better - stronger, simpler and lightrer - AMHIK