PDA

View Full Version : Phone or GPS bike mount?

dgre057
6th April 2011, 22:31
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a tidy means of mounting my iPhone on my bike so I can use it for GPS, and ideally also have a handfree headset so I can deal with calls when travelling. There really don't seem to be that many options, all of which are quite pricey. The best I've found, I think, is something called the iBike Rider (http://www.soeasygps.com/shop/). Their prices are also fairly reasonable I think, especially for the headsets...UNTIL you add shipping, which is ludicrous!

The shipping charge seems to be fixed, so I'm wondering if there are any others out there who would like to put in an order together with me and cut the cost of shipping.

Let me know if you're interested! Thanks,

Des

Gremlin
7th April 2011, 01:22
http://www.ramsolutions.co.nz/lifestyle for the mount... :yes:

Headset... bluetooth is the obvious choice, no experience in the options, but there are a few available.

YellowDog
7th April 2011, 06:01
Hi dgre057 and welcome to KB.

There's loads of gear out there and importing a GPS at a huge shipping cost is not the right way to go.

I've seen some of these items floating around at Cycletreads or Colemans. Just keep looking until you are able to get your hands on one you like.

This one looks similar: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/GPS/GPS-accessories/auction-366078371.htm

Good luck,

Nasty
7th April 2011, 06:35
There are lots of choices out there. I had a navman - which I used a ram mount and waterproof box for and that worked as it was designed. I did have issues:

can't change the place you are going without taking off glove as the screen is not very good for that.

I have written with my iphone in a tank bag - overheats and doesn't like it - also doesn't chart it as the gps software uses a shit load of power and is on all the time

I have now got a garmin zumo - which has the bike mount, is wired in and operates the phone and uses my helmit for coms with a scala headset.

I have spent money on each option and to tell you the truth the last one is the only one that has ticked all the boxes - could have save a lot of money just going to one of the more expensive options. cost of the garmin from pb technologies has come down - and I asked for an extra discount .. and the headset is not a bad price either.

mazz1972
7th April 2011, 10:02
This one looks similar: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/GPS/GPS-accessories/auction-366078371.htm

Hubby has one of these for the Navman, very handy. Would do the trick for a phone but might be a bit big?

dgre057
7th April 2011, 10:57
Thanks for all the replies so quick guys!

I've seen the type of stuff on trademe, as well as the ram aquabox. The ram box looked best to me, but as you say mazz1972, all those style mounts seem really huge and some what obtrusive on my handlebars. That's why I liked the iBike case. It's a little smaller, and I think it fits on the middle part under my ignition switch...which will be a lot less in your face than sticking up over my clutch or infront of my indicator/light switches.

I'm planning on hooking up power for my phone, so not too worried about that (ie. not looking to invest in another GPS system), but am reluctant to go way of bluetooth, as I'm lazy to switch it on and off everytime. And because they're pricey as! Whereas iBike sell helmet speakers + waterproof mic system for ~NZ$60.

iBike also sells a iPhone stylus at a reasonable price, which I think will make using it with gloves a little less annoying.

All that to say, I've looked at the case on a stick style systems, and have found a few (cheaper trademe ones, givi from motomail, and ram), and then have seen this velcro on system from iBike. I decided I liked the iBike system the best...and so wanted to see if anyone else out there felt similarly, and wanted to make it a bit more affordable to get one :P

If you know of a solution I haven't seen though, I'm definitely keen to hear about it!

Gremlin
8th April 2011, 02:42
I'd say $60 for all that is going to be a shit system... IMHO.

You get what you pay for. I've binned two bikes with the GPS attached, the second involved tumbling (and I pulled tufts of grass away from the mount). Multiple gravel roads (bumpy as all hell), thundering rain etc, and it's done 60,000km and still going.

However, don't expect change from $5k+ installing all the comms I have.

Anyhoo... just offering my experience...

DR650gary
8th April 2011, 19:38
I'd say $60 for all that is going to be a shit system... IMHO.

You get what you pay for. I've binned two bikes with the GPS attached, the second involved tumbling (and I pulled tufts of grass away from the mount). Multiple gravel roads (bumpy as all hell), thundering rain etc, and it's done 60,000km and still going.

However, don't expect change from $5k+ installing all the comms I have.

Anyhoo... just offering my experience...

$5 K :shit:

I ride my bike :woohoo:

I sits and watches TV :corn:

Can't do the two together :facepalm:

slofox
8th April 2011, 19:50
There are lots of choices out there. I had a navman - which I used a ram mount and waterproof box for and that worked as it was designed. I did have issues:

can't change the place you are going without taking off glove as the screen is not very good for that.

I have written with my iphone in a tank bag - overheats and doesn't like it - also doesn't chart it as the gps software uses a shit load of power and is on all the time

I have now got a garmin zumo - which has the bike mount, is wired in and operates the phone and uses my helmit for coms with a scala headset.

I have spent money on each option and to tell you the truth the last one is the only one that has ticked all the boxes - could have save a lot of money just going to one of the more expensive options. cost of the garmin from pb technologies has come down - and I asked for an extra discount .. and the headset is not a bad price either.

Which of the Zumo's do you have Nasty? My 220 won't do phone as well - it's either phone or Zumo.

I take your point about doing it properly once...which is exactly what I have NOT done...:facepalm:

Nasty
9th April 2011, 09:15
Which of the Zumo's do you have Nasty? My 220 won't do phone as well - it's either phone or Zumo.

I take your point about doing it properly once...which is exactly what I have NOT done...:facepalm:

I have a 660 ... hooks up to the helmit and the phone and has the ability for four bluetooth devices so I guess radar detector if you need one :)

slofox
9th April 2011, 12:45
I have a 660 ... hooks up to the helmet and the phone and has the ability for four bluetooth devices so I guess radar detector if you need one :)

I use the TPX RD which has its own dedicated headset - one ear for the bluetooth link and the other for the RD link. Be nice to have phone AND GPS though...as it is, I usually link to the phone and use the visual cues for the GPS. Works OK I guess...