PDA

View Full Version : 2 degrees 3G wireless modem issues

scissorhands
7th April 2011, 11:42
The software that my Huawei 2 degrees 3G USB stick is crap and my cpu and memory were well up, you can reconfigure connection via dialup in network connections. By passing said software means SMS will not work and data balance only via my2degrees, but CPU usuage on my netbook is back to 1-5% instead of 20-50%.

The more expensive Huawei wireless router only works on USB power or battery for 3-5hours.
CANNOT LEAVE ON A/C POWER ON A WINDOW SILL which is how these are normally located:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I'm thinking of buying and window placing an a/c powered wireless 3G router with voip so 3G connection is always on and strong/fast.

Otherwise I get up to 2.5Mbtps speeds on the Huawei usb dongle thingy

avgas
7th April 2011, 12:21
You can create your own modem connection. So long as the drivers are installed.

Simply go to create your own modem connection. Select the huawei device as the port. and set the dialling number to *99#.

Whenever you want to connect to the net go "start" "connect to" "huawei...."

scissorhands
8th April 2011, 08:15
yep, thats how CService at 2 degrees recommended I do it too. Much better

Some replacement software from Huawei would be good, the SMS was a handy feature.

Anyone know of good cheap a/c powered 3G routers with phone like voip built in?

scracha
18th April 2011, 20:08
yep, thats how CService at 2 degrees recommended I do it too. Much better

Some replacement software from Huawei would be good, the SMS was a handy feature.

Anyone know of good cheap a/c powered 3G routers with phone like voip built in?

Both the Netcom and Edimax (WL6200W3N $99) ones do a fine job. For "always on" though, your biggest issue is that the Huawei USB sticks seem to overheat. Don't know any with VOIP gateways (I guess it's a gateway device you're after). If you want one with battery power, better failover options and rock solid reliability then the Edimax WL6120W3N ($170) is fantastic kit. Both units do port routing and dynamic DNS updating. You'll likely have to change the default APN to allow incoming traffic on unusual port numbers.

If you've got the money, throw your Huawei USB stick on trademe (or keep it for when you're travelling), purchase a Bigpond 3G21WB (or older 3G9WB) on ebay and bung in your SIM.