PDA

View Full Version : F`ed Xr250 whats Wrong And how can i fix it

crazyxr250rider
26th June 2005, 17:25
I was ridi up gravel road and was leting the clutch out and the kick start flew down
i was in 3rd gear now in 1,3,5 gear when i let out the clutch out the kick start flies down and because of the auto decop it stops running :mad: :mad: :weird:

merv
26th June 2005, 18:27
Never seen that happen before so I'm no expert on the problem. However, does it feel like the return spring is still OK, i.e. when you kick start does the lever pop back up OK?

If it doesn't right itself you are going to need to pull the right side case off the motor and have a good look at the kick start mechanism and try and figure what has gone wrong with it.

crazyxr250rider
26th June 2005, 20:01
Never seen that happen before so I'm no expert on the problem. However, does it feel like the return spring is still OK, i.e. when you kick start does the lever pop back up OK?

If it doesn't right itself you are going to need to pull the right side case off the motor and have a good look at the kick start mechanism and try and figure what has gone wrong with it.
kick start returns fine not spring every thing works fine in 2,4,6 gear

Paul in NZ
26th June 2005, 20:32
I've got NO idea how a Honda gearbox works (and not keen on finding out) but as a guess.....

Depressing the kickstart will turn summat in the box to turn the gearbox input and thus the engine. Doubtless there is a dog clutch, or something to do this attached to something in there that only goes 1 way. Soundslike something broke and now it turns with the gears on that shaft?

Get yourself a parts book or an exploded diagram and should not be too hard to nut out? Probably a 50c part and a $1000 labour bill deally!

Cheers

Paul N

or ask on a XR forum - must be one!

crazyxr250rider
26th June 2005, 20:43
I've got NO idea how a Honda gearbox works (and not keen on finding out) but as a guess.....

Depressing the kickstart will turn summat in the box to turn the gearbox input and thus the engine. Doubtless there is a dog clutch, or something to do this attached to something in there that only goes 1 way. Soundslike something broke and now it turns with the gears on that shaft?

Get yourself a parts book or an exploded diagram and should not be too hard to nut out? Probably a 50c part and a $1000 labour bill deally!

Cheers

Paul N

or ask on a XR forum - must be one!
Yeah same old story cheap part big bill

Brian d marge
26th June 2005, 20:48
I was ridi up gravel road and was leting the clutch out and the kick start flew down
i was in 3rd gear now in 1,3,5 gear when i let out the clutch out the kick start flies down and because of the auto decop it stops running :mad: :mad: :weird:

Off the top of me head ... Can you kick the bike over ...If so the Ratchet pawl arrangement is ok ,, Sounds like the Retun spring is either A broken or B come out of its Slot ( difficult unless installed wrong )

In the mean time you can disconnect the cable ( waste of time those things , though the do reduce the loading on the kickstart arrange a little bit )

and use the time houred method of a bungy cord to hold the Kick start lever up

They If I remember often go like that and the repair isnt so difficuly ( it was 5 years ago since I did that prob on an XR ,,,so

Take the clutch cover off and have a look ( be careful there is a washer/shim that falls into the crankase easily ,,,,

Stephen

crazyxr250rider
26th June 2005, 20:58
Off the top of me head ... Can you kick the bike over ...If so the Ratchet pawl arrangement is ok ,, Sounds like the Retun spring is either A broken or B come out of its Slot ( difficult unless installed wrong )

In the mean time you can disconnect the cable ( waste of time those things , though the do reduce the loading on the kickstart arrange a little bit )

and use the time houred method of a bungy cord to hold the Kick start lever up

They If I remember often go like that and the repair isnt so difficuly ( it was 5 years ago since I did that prob on an XR ,,,so

Take the clutch cover off and have a look ( be careful there is a washer/shim that falls into the crankase easily ,,,,

Stephen
dont think its the return spring i let the clutch out the kick screeches then flies down only does it in 1,2,3 gear operates normal in 2,4,6

Brian d marge
27th June 2005, 03:34
dont think its the return spring i let the clutch out the kick screeches then flies down only does it in 1,2,3 gear operates normal in 2,4,6

The Screetch sounds like a bearing ( metal on metal sort of like fingernails on a blackboard), and it only does it in those gears sounds like either the kick start gear plain bearing has gone ( the only Manual I could find is the XLS 250 which should be similar to the XR ,,( stand corrected ) and yup if the kick start gear which operates on the lay shaft has/ binding due say a shagged bearing ...this would cause a problem only when some gears are engaged ( and would cause the kickstart lever to go flying down .... and or one of the main/layshaft bearings ,,, the trouble is I cant remember the exact layout ,,I have tried downloading Manuals ,,but its just causing my PC to freeze( one of them unfroze for a seck thanks Adobe !! ) Either way that clutch cover is coming off not to difficult ,,,but when you put it back on the kickstsrt shaft may need to be rotated slightly to engage ..

Sorry I cant be much more help , As I said it was nearly well 1994/5 ish the last time I did a XR kickstart!!

If you can find an online manual ,, Then I could be of some more help

Kind regards Stephen

crazyxr250rider
27th June 2005, 21:06
could you please post the site you were gtting the manual off
that would be a big help
PS is your cr silver had one awhile back

crazyxr250rider
27th June 2005, 21:12
And i was told a week before xr250`s indestuctible (First xr and first 4 stroke)

Brian d marge
28th June 2005, 01:30
I play about with bikes for a living, I had a vague rememberance of what was in side So I just went looking for the same type of Engine ...

IF you take things slowly its pretty straight forward ,, The thing is you want to Just take the clutch cover off ,,,,, and have a look for obvious damage ,,,around kickstart area ...then make a decision ...( If you go further than that , the clutch centre nut and pressure plate bolts are areas to stuff things up ,,,,,)

the link I used is this (http://www.motomatsuo.com.br/download1.htm)

I used the XLS 94 to 2000

But there you go ....

NordieBoy
28th June 2005, 08:57
And i was told a week before xr250`s indestuctible (First xr and first 4 stroke)

We just stripped mine down the other weekend to get overbored and the cams look like new and the bore is perfect.
Looks like the rings havn't sealed properly though as there is a lot of crap on top of the piston so it's going to get run in hard this time.

Oh and it's 26 years old and gets raced in Classic MX :D

crazyxr250rider
1st July 2005, 17:53
We just stripped mine down the other weekend to get overbored and the cams look like new and the bore is perfect.
Looks like the rings havn't sealed properly though as there is a lot of crap on top of the piston so it's going to get run in hard this time.

Oh and it's 26 years old and gets raced in Classic MX :D
well its fine from the botom of the cylinder up BUT every thing else is fucked
turns out ive twisted the internals of the gear box and bent the front sprocket shaft :oi-grr: :mad: :oi-grr: any one got a spare motor just lying around
no? ahwell. do xr400s break as easily?

XTC
2nd July 2005, 14:49
turns out ive twisted the internals of the gear box and bent the front sprocket shaft :oi-grr: :mad: :oi-grr: any one got a spare motor just lying around
How'd you do that??

DingDong
2nd July 2005, 15:18

??? thats the first I've eva.... someone might be bull shitting you to make some extra cash... you wouldnt be able to change gear with that shaft bent... actually you would need a sledge hammer to bend that shaft... is the casing cracked or leaking from the front sprocket?

somethings fishy... oQo<

Ixion
2nd July 2005, 15:47
??? thats the first I've eva.... someone might be bull shitting you to make some extra cash... you wouldnt be able to change gear with that shaft bent... actually you would need a sledge hammer to bend that shaft... is the casing cracked or leaking from the front sprocket?

somethings fishy... oQo<

I've twisted both mainshafts and layshafts in gearboxes before now. Dunno about bending them though.

NordieBoy
2nd July 2005, 19:13
But doing that to a pre RFVC XR engine?

Wow!

You da man! :D

PS. I got a complete 6 speed bottom end for $120 off TradeMe but you can't have it :p

crazyxr250rider
3rd July 2005, 16:48

somethings fishy... oQo<
Yep its leaking oil from where the front sprocket shaft

crazyxr250rider
3rd July 2005, 16:50

somethings fishy... oQo<
Yep its leaking oil from where the front sprocket shaft comes out

crazyxr250rider
3rd July 2005, 16:53
But doing that to a pre RFVC XR engine?

Wow!

You da man! :D

PS. I got a complete 6 speed bottom end for $120 off TradeMe but you can't have it :p
could you send it to taranaki give you $314 for it as thats what a new shafts gona cost

NordieBoy
3rd July 2005, 21:15
Go to a wreckers and get a cb250rs engine.

You should be able to get a complete engine for $150-200 or so.

Tried EconoHonda?

Get hold of your local Classic Motorcross Club and ask around.

I'll have a 5 speed bottom end for sale eventually but not for 6 months or so.

Try this one also on TradeMe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/Frames-bodywork/auction-30480280.htm)...

most parts for the bike are here, the engine is stuffed run out of oil ,the head is missing. no plates on the bike, will sell parts sepratly just ask and i will start another auction. will get pictures soon.
Buy Now of $150...

crazyxr250rider
4th July 2005, 12:57
Go to a wreckers and get a cb250rs engine.

You should be able to get a complete engine for $150-200 or so.

Tried EconoHonda?

Get hold of your local Classic Motorcross Club and ask around.

I'll have a 5 speed bottom end for sale eventually but not for 6 months or so.

Try this one also on TradeMe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/Frames-bodywork/auction-30480280.htm)...

Buy Now of $150...
Are cb250 motors the same as 91 xr250`s didnt know they were RFVC
feeling a bit distressed as i dont have a lot of money

NordieBoy
4th July 2005, 18:16
Oops...

Somehow thought yours was preRFVC.

My bad.

Ignore me.

I'll just go and sit in the corner now...

Sensei
4th July 2005, 18:41
Are cb250 motors the same as 91 xr250`s didnt know they were RFVC
feeling a bit distressed as i dont have a lot of money

Hey Dude have you tryed Craig Baileys 06-2784756 or Taranaki Motorcycle
Wreckers 7594002

crazyxr250rider
5th July 2005, 15:40
Oops...

Somehow thought yours was preRFVC.

My bad.

Ignore me.

I'll just go and sit in the corner now...
dont be ashamed cb400 `s are RFVC

crazyxr250rider
29th July 2005, 14:03

somethings fishy... oQo<
he he its broke allrigh snaped in two
$1250 worth of parts and labor