PDA

View Full Version : Biker sets new speeding record

Coyote
26th June 2005, 18:52
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15620134%255E29677,00.html

bugjuice
26th June 2005, 18:55
that's hardly trying, is it? I've done worse..

What was the speed Top Gear got to when the speed trap didn't fire? Was something like 170mph..

NC
26th June 2005, 18:58
I take it wasn't on the Autobarn then?

:)

NC
26th June 2005, 18:59
that's hardly trying, is it? I've done worse..

What was the speed Top Gear got to when the speed trap didn't fire? Was something like 170mph..
Did you get it printed in the paper :msn-wink:

scumdog
26th June 2005, 19:24
I take it wasn't on the Autobarn then?

:)

Just in case Hitcher doesn't notice that posting, - the word is Autobahn. :whistle:

NC
26th June 2005, 19:26
Just in case Hitcher doesn't notice that posting, - the word is Autobahn. :whistle:
Oh for fuck sakes!

So I can't spell! Who gives a fucken fuck? If I really cared, I'd spell check. I don't so get over it...

GROOMER
26th June 2005, 19:32
Don't suppose it could've been Sir Ghost Rider maybe? ;)

scumdog
26th June 2005, 19:32
PMS? it was WIND-UP o.k.? a wind-up!

Now tell my you weren't trying to wind me up?

bugjuice
26th June 2005, 19:41
Don't suppose it could've been Sir Ghost Rider maybe? ;)
spirits can ride uncaught.. GR died a while ago now, didn't he..?
rip gr..

nc, I got it printed in me head, on kb, and have Swanny to back me up, cos I was backin him on the run..

NC
26th June 2005, 19:50
PMS? it was WIND-UP o.k.? a wind-up!

Now tell my you weren't trying to wind me up?
Oh it must be PMS, because that’s the only possible diagnosis of the problem. Maybe you should write a thesis with Hitcher about my un-educated slack-arse attitude towards my spelling ethics. I never showed an interest at school, never really appealed to me. It was more of escapism.

I’d like to thank you both for pointing out my spelling mistakes.

NC
26th June 2005, 19:56
rip gr..

nc, I got it printed in me head, on kb, and have Swanny to back me up, cos I was backin him on the run..
I don't think he died eh? I think it was one of those dumbarse rumours that go around. Like that dude that off Jackass that supposedly at 1kg of salt and died.. WeeMan I think it was..

Zed
26th June 2005, 20:09
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15620134%255E29677,00.htmlNew "unofficial" speeding record in "Germany" you mean. Guess 250kmph is extremely excessive to them...I don't think it would break any records over here though!

Was talking to someone today about a rider in the US who apparently got caught doing road speeds in excess of 320kmph!! Crazy Americanos. :crazy:

GROOMER
26th June 2005, 20:19
rip gr..

Nah they're making a GR2005 so I don't think so?
You're not thinking of the Black Prince are ya?

marty
26th June 2005, 20:20
considering a good number of german cars are speed lmited to 250k, and from what i've seen it is pretty common practice to sit on said limiter on the autoBAHN, how is this news?

myvice
26th June 2005, 20:35
New "unofficial" speeding record in "Germany" you mean. Guess 250kmph is extremely excessive to them...I don't think it would break any records over here though!

Was talking to someone today about a rider in the US who apparently got caught doing road speeds in excess of 320kmph!! Crazy Americanos. :crazy:
On that note, jap cars are limited to 180 while euro ones (ex Porche, Ferrari, ect) are limited to 250. Sad, I dont know why, maby a tyre thing?

onearmedbandit
26th June 2005, 20:47
Ghost Rider isn't dead, even seems to confuse him with the guy who did the Paris Ring.

Yes a trooper in a helicopter did 'officially' time a 1000cc bike at 205mph. It went to court but he was not charged with that exact offense. Huge debate on American bike forums over this event. The rider worked for a bike store and other than a aftermarket pipe the bike was standard. I think it was an SP-2, may have been a CBR1000RR, regardless neither bike is capable with just a pipe. He actually logged onto a sportbike forum in America I frequent and told his side of the story.

Virago
26th June 2005, 20:48
Oh for fuck sakes!

So I can't spell! Who gives a fucken fuck?.........
We do - and that should be "fucking fuck" :rofl:

Coyote
26th June 2005, 21:18
considering a good number of german cars are speed lmited to 250k, and from what i've seen it is pretty common practice to sit on said limiter on the autoBAHN, how is this news?
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I posted it up on here for those who are interested, and if you aren't, ignore it.

I'd be lucky to go anywhere near 250 for a while

bugjuice
27th June 2005, 09:39
Nah they're making a GR2005 so I don't think so?
You're not thinking of the Black Prince are ya?
well I can answer that by sayin :unsure: who..??
I was told by a few people that the 'last ride' DVD was just that.. Unless (cos you don't see his face), it's a 'new' GR tryin to fill the boots of the boss...???

R6_kid
27th June 2005, 10:04
deal i heard was GR clipped a truck lane splitting at 270kmh... and not many come back from that. Apparently its his brother continuing the family business, hopefully he choses a slightly different business tactic to sell videos :yes:

Lou Girardin
27th June 2005, 10:16
Oh for fuck sakes!

So I can't spell! Who gives a fucken fuck? If I really cared, I'd spell check. I don't so get over it...

Spellcheck is USenglish, they'll spell it the way you did.

Lou Girardin
27th June 2005, 10:19
On that note, jap cars are limited to 180 while euro ones (ex Porche, Ferrari, ect) are limited to 250. Sad, I dont know why, maby a tyre thing?

A driver has just got off a speeding charge in Scotland, he was checked by laser at 210 k's. The catch was that he was driving an import WRX with the speed limiter still operative = max 180. A touch embarrassing for Plod.

bugjuice
27th June 2005, 10:28
A driver has just got off a speeding charge in Scotland, he was checked by laser at 210 k's. The catch was that he was driving an import WRX with the speed limiter still operative = max 180. A touch embarrassing for Plod.
That story is in a bike mag actually, was meant to post something about it.
The mag says that he was clocked doing 131mph but the car is still restricted to 108mph, like you mention, Lou.

It also says, that the same gun was point at a brick wall. It recorded the brick wall doing 58mph... think we should start a new thread to slag off speedguns (but not cops)

chris
27th June 2005, 10:43
No, you can quite happily walk into a Ferrari showroom in the UK and buy something capable of 200mph.

bugjuice
27th June 2005, 10:44
most european cars (like beemers and mercs) are limited to 155mph.. exotics like ferraris generally aren't limited

ManDownUnder
27th June 2005, 11:04
It also says, that the same gun was point at a brick wall. It recorded the brick wall doing 58mph... think we should start a new thread to slag off speedguns (but not cops)

Was that the V6 or V8 wall (I like the V6 turbo's personally - they're fuel efficient while maintaining the ability to get up and go when needed.

bugjuice
27th June 2005, 11:07
Was that the V6 or V8 wall (I like the V6 turbo's personally - they're fuel efficient while maintaining the ability to get up and go when needed.
yeah, but then there's those stupid <s>dicks</s> bricks who add NOS etc.. don't they learn? :brick: handle like a brick shit house too...

Ixion
27th June 2005, 11:13

Nah, it was a K series BMW wall. Don't you know they're called the "Flying brick" :rofl: :rofl:

XTC
27th June 2005, 13:17
Oh for fuck sakes!

That should be "Fucking" NC..... :rofl:

mikey
27th June 2005, 13:47
the ghost rider story/legacy isnt dead, but im sure a fuck load of the guys who have dressed up an ridden as ghost rider have died, just wouldn be cool to show the crash footage, would hurt ""ghost riders"" reputation. anyway. im ghost fucking rider now.

ManDownUnder
27th June 2005, 13:59
New "unofficial" speeding record in "Germany" you mean. Guess 250kmph is extremely excessive to them...I don't think it would break any records over here though!

Yeah BUT - it depends where in the States you are...

Death valley... I'd be doing 320 as well just to make it through before I shrivelled up in the sun...
MDU

onearmedbandit
27th June 2005, 14:02
No, you can quite happily walk into a Ferrari showroom in the UK and buy something capable of 200mph.

He said ex(cluding) Ferrari, Porsche, etc.

bugjuice
27th June 2005, 14:03
He said ex(cluding) Ferrari, Porsche, etc.
:brick: I thought is was 'ex' as in 'example', not 'excluding'..
ma bad..

Virago
27th June 2005, 15:50
We do - and that should be "fucking fuck" :rofl:
Oh dear, my first ever negative rep for this - obviously someone can't take a joke........ .

No problem - have a nice day! :ride:

Lou Girardin
27th June 2005, 16:07
That story is in a bike mag actually, was meant to post something about it.
The mag says that he was clocked doing 131mph but the car is still restricted to 108mph, like you mention, Lou.

We need one of those high speed brick walls to run interference on our next day ride.
I want to see the cops do a rolling stop on one.
Or use spike strips.
Or shoot out it's tyres.

Besides, these inaccuracies are due to operator error.

In the same edition of Bike, they report a Senior Police Officer in the UK calling for a ban on speed cameras. On the basis that the don't work and just alienate people from the Police.
Their road toll this year has increased to where it was in 1993.
Sound familiar?
The road toll in the Waikato so far this year has equalled all of last years.
No wonder the LTNZ has dropped the "Safety" from it's name.

Ixion
27th June 2005, 16:09
We need one of those high speed brick walls to run interference on our next day ride.
Or use spike strips.
Or shoot out it's tyres.

Why would they ? 58mph is less than 100kph, The brick wall was not breaking the speed limit. So it must be safe, surely ?

Of course, it could be argued that the wall is by definition a built up area, and therefore carries an automatic 50 kph speed limit wherever it goes !

ManDownUnder
27th June 2005, 16:15
Or use spike strips.
Or shoot out it's tyres.

What happens if you're holding the speed camera and sneeze? Would it pick up the speed of the flying bits?

(Sorry - but I actually did wonder about it...)
MDU

scumdog
27th June 2005, 16:21
What happens if you're holding the speed camera and sneeze? Would it pick up the speed of the flying bits?

MDU

How old ARE you???? I use to worry about things like that when I was 12!!

When I was 14 I had graduated to thinking a handl-bar mounted slug-gun that fired a slug in the direction of the radar would fool it - I mean who ever heard of a BSA Bantam doing 280milesanhour??

Tada! the cop would be 'fooled' into thinking the radar was crook. (well that was MY cunning plan) :weird: :wait: :rofl:

bugjuice
27th June 2005, 16:22
Why would they ? 58mph is less than 100kph, The brick wall was not breaking the speed limit. So it must be safe, surely ?

Of course, it could be argued that the wall is by definition a built up area, and therefore carries an automatic 50 kph speed limit wherever it goes !
a brick wall caught doing 58mph is often in a 30mph speed zone.. gets you a court appearance, doesn't it...??

Mr Wall, how do you plead on the count of speeding in a built up area?

Virago
27th June 2005, 16:42
a brick wall caught doing 58mph is often in a 30mph speed zone.. gets you a court appearance, doesn't it...??.......
Only if the police can produce concrete evidence!

Ixion
27th June 2005, 16:45
How old ARE you???? I use to worry about things like that when I was 12!!

When I was 14 I had graduated to thinking a handl-bar mounted slug-gun that fired a slug in the direction of the radar would fool it - I mean who ever heard of a BSA Bantam doing 280milesanhour??

Tada! the cop would be 'fooled' into thinking the radar was crook. (well that was MY cunning plan) :weird: :wait: :rofl:

Had I had a few years more to work on mine, and devise a way to plane even more off the head without the fins falling off, I would have had a go at it !

spudchucka
27th June 2005, 17:45

MDU
If its a quiet night shift tonight I'll try and get some speed readings off my snot and let you know tomorrow how the tests go.

Bob
27th June 2005, 20:43

Glad you mentioned this one... as it became pretty evident fairly fast that the speed was based on some inaccurate clocking:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=5380&highlight=205MPH

As you say, it is an unofficial speeding record in Germany - the land that wanted to impose a compulsory 100bhp restriction. 260kmph is what, about 150mph? Or less than the top speed of a CBR600F?

I think it is pretty certain that has been exceeded elsewhere by, oh, anyone who owns a Blackbird... or a Haybusa... or a Freblade... or a lot of people who own sports 600s...

madboy
27th June 2005, 21:07
I think it is pretty certain that has been exceeded elsewhere by, oh, anyone who owns a Blackbird... or a Haybusa... or a Freblade... or a lot of people who own sports 600s...I couldn't possibly confirm nor deny that a sports 600 is capable of exceeding 250km/h on a public road... but I'm sure I can think of at least one 600cc sportsbike that would smile for the camera (front on of course) if the local boys cared to roll out a van in an area with enough run up. Unfortunately the only cameras I seem to line up are pole mounts, which don't get bikes at all.

It's pretty lame that they think 250k is a big speed. I mean, hello, sure it might sound scary to all the do-gooders out there who think their diesel people movers are the shiz, but have they ever ridden a thou? How many thou owners haven't seen 250? Oh well, whatever sells papers I guess.

And re: the car limiter debate... it's all politics, the reason for the Japs and the Germans having different limits. I'm not sure if other European nations have joined the "voluntary" agreement. But then who wants to try cracking 250k in a Volvo?

madboy
27th June 2005, 21:08
Actually, Spud, what's the NZ record? Either camera or radar/laser?

spudchucka
28th June 2005, 11:51
Wouldn't have a clue about that, sorry.

spudchucka
28th June 2005, 11:58
If its a quiet night shift tonight I'll try and get some speed readings off my snot and let you know tomorrow how the tests go.
It seems that I can sneeze at about 120kph. The little squirts of pepper spray up the hooter used to make me sneeze were a bit unpleasent though. Oh well, the things we do in the name of science.