PDA

View Full Version : Bhs! (Ricardo S)

Ricardo S
9th April 2011, 20:32
hey guys and girls, gotta say, i've been stalking this forum for quite some time now. love how entertaining and informative some of the threads are.

i used to ride motorbikes back in Brazil and since i came to NZ never had the chance - that is, until now :)

so, after about 10 years off the bikes i went to do the BHS today and i expect to do the scratch and win this week. got a few mates riding already and hopefully i'll catch up next time.

congrats to "badboy" and "daniel" and the other guy that passed the test with us.

and lastly, thanks Phil, Ian and the ninja guy (sowwy missed ur name) from riderskills for the good training and assessment today.

cheers,
Ricardo

superman
9th April 2011, 20:58
This is hardly as exciting a thread I was expecting to be! But good on ya for passing the NZ govt version of how good you need to be to get on the road. Set the bar low don't they :yes:

hellokitty
10th April 2011, 07:16
Set the bar low don't they :yes:

I have been told by a few people (instructors) that they test will become harder in July/August - you will need (not sure how much) hours of professional instruction etc...

YellowDog
10th April 2011, 08:05
I have been told by a few people (instructors) that they test will become harder in July/August - you will need (not sure how much) hours of professional instruction etc...

I have a work colleage who passed his I-Endorsement and now does BHS examinations at the weekends.

FAIL, FAIL, FAIL unless you are able to demonstrate more than just basic skills to scrape through.

Is he a lifesaver or a spoilsport ?

superman
10th April 2011, 10:31

Ooo that sounds promising. Same with car license?! :shit: NZ might actually be finally getting somewhere. :yes:

Riderskills
10th April 2011, 21:04
hey guys and girls, gotta say, i've been stalking this forum for quite some time now. love how entertaining and informative some of the threads are.

i used to ride motorbikes back in Brazil and since i came to NZ never had the chance - that is, until now :)

so, after about 10 years off the bikes i went to do the BHS today and i expect to do the scratch and win this week. got a few mates riding already and hopefully i'll catch up next time.

congrats to "badboy" and "daniel" and the other guy that passed the test with us.

and lastly, thanks Phil, Ian and the ninja guy (sowwy missed ur name) from riderskills for the good training and assessment today.

cheers,
Ricardo

Well done Ricardo and Daniel, pleasure working with you. For those that don't know, Ricardo bought his brother a nice birthday present and paid for his training and test.

Be safe,

Philip

Ricardo S
10th April 2011, 21:55
This is hardly as exciting a thread I was expecting to be! But good on ya for passing the NZ govt version of how good you need to be to get on the road. Set the bar low don't they :yes:

yeah, indeed they do set it a bit low. it was way harder to get the license back in brazil but hey, over there we go strait to a unrestricted license. i was really happy cuz after so long since i last had a go with bikes i was feeling really comfortable

Ricardo S
10th April 2011, 22:07
Well done Ricardo and Daniel, pleasure working with you. For those that don't know, Ricardo bought his brother a nice birthday present and paid for his training and test.

Be safe,

Philip

hey Phil! nice to see you here... let me ask you, do you rent those bikes for the day?
a friend of mine just bought a bike and i was thinking in maybe getting a bike on Saturday and go for a ride with him. he doesn't have much experience and it would be nice to find a quiet place for him to practice.
cheers,
Ricardo

ps. i'll try to do the multiple choice test tomorrow at AA CBD so hopefully i'll be holding my learners by then.

Ricardo S
11th April 2011, 17:35
woohooo passed the theory test today :D - now shopping for a bike... does anyone wants to trade in a toyo gt4?

GPXchick
11th April 2011, 18:08
Good On you Ricardo. Now be safe wear the gear and remember you are invisible to all other motorists. Welcome to Learner Land :) :ride:

YellowDog
11th April 2011, 18:31
woohooo passed the theory test today :D - now shopping for a bike... does anyone wants to trade in a toyo gt4?

Congrats to you.

Take your time 'cos there will be some winter bargains around pretty soon :yes:

CatTheBrat
11th April 2011, 19:26
Good feeling ay Ricardo! I got my BHS cert with Philip in January and my learner about a month ago and a Ninja last week! I am really surprised that it is legal for me to go out on the road on a motorbike just with BHS. Lots can go wrong when faced with impatient NZ motorists - even with an L plate, some just don't care and want to get where They're going. I was lucky to have some biker mates behind me to keep traffic off me for my first ride this weekend.
Good luck with the shopping! :niceone:

Ricardo S
12th April 2011, 00:51
Good On you Ricardo. Now be safe wear the gear and remember you are invisible to all other motorists. Welcome to Learner Land :) :ride:

good point there, i'll make sure to keep both eyes on the traffic..well at least most of the time :)

Ricardo S
12th April 2011, 00:54
Congrats to you.

Take your time 'cos there will be some winter bargains around pretty soon :yes:

when do you think it's the best time of the year to buy a bike? i mean, probably it takes a while until the cold reflects in lower prices, but how long???

cheers,
Ricardo

Ricardo S
12th April 2011, 01:07
Good feeling ay Ricardo! I got my BHS cert with Philip in January and my learner about a month ago and a Ninja last week! I am really surprised that it is legal for me to go out on the road on a motorbike just with BHS. Lots can go wrong when faced with impatient NZ motorists - even with an L plate, some just don't care and want to get where They're going. I was lucky to have some biker mates behind me to keep traffic off me for my first ride this weekend.
Good luck with the shopping! :niceone:

Hello Dale,

Nice bike you got there, congrats :)
I've got a friend that just got the license too and he doesn't have any experience so as soon as i get mine we will be doing some rides much like you, it can be quite scary at the beginning but once you raise your awareness a few clicks and become comfortable with the bike you riding it all becomes so much fun!!!

and you know whats best??? you don't forget how to ride :D (i was so happy at the end of the BHS/training cuz after almost 10 years not riding i felt so comfortable on top of the bike)

ohh how i missed it! ;)

cheers,
Ricardo

CatTheBrat
12th April 2011, 13:15
Hello Dale,

Nice bike you got there, congrats :)
I've got a friend that just got the license too and he doesn't have any experience so as soon as i get mine we will be doing some rides much like you, it can be quite scary at the beginning but once you raise your awareness a few clicks and become comfortable with the bike you riding it all becomes so much fun!!!

and you know whats best??? you don't forget how to ride :D (i was so happy at the end of the BHS/training cuz after almost 10 years not riding i felt so comfortable on top of the bike)

ohh how i missed it! ;)

cheers,
Ricardo

Thanks Ricardo. Picked it up at a real bargain price too!!
I have spent a lot of time road cycling so that has defo heightened my awareness, ALWAYS get cut off, or given no room etc, :facepalm: and I was a very polite cyclist too. So that experience helps.
Yup is quite scary! It's mostly having to concentrate on bike coordination being a newbie as well as traffic that made me panic a few times, but will be sweet in no time :D
Glad you're back into it, I've fallen in love with it already :love:

Ricardo S
12th April 2011, 20:34
Thanks Ricardo. Picked it up at a real bargain price too!!
I have spent a lot of time road cycling so that has defo heightened my awareness, ALWAYS get cut off, or given no room etc, :facepalm: and I was a very polite cyclist too. So that experience helps.
Yup is quite scary! It's mostly having to concentrate on bike coordination being a newbie as well as traffic that made me panic a few times, but will be sweet in no time :D
Glad you're back into it, I've fallen in love with it already :love:

good on you for getting the bike! now i'm here...still need to get some equipment and most importantly the bike! i'm struggling so much trying to decide if i conform and get a 250cc or go for something like that: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1130033737

matter of fact i might make a new post and ask around about police encounters... i bet there will be people that was riding a bigger bike on a restricted/learners license over here...

oh btw, there's a quite good post about tips on riding for new riders...that one: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php/49-Survival-Skills
informative with a bit of humor :D

CookMySock
12th April 2011, 21:01
FAIL, FAIL, FAIL unless you are able to demonstrate more than just basic skills to scrape through. Is he a lifesaver or a spoilsport ?People accumulate usable skills and gain experience by just riding around, on account that they aren't complete imbeciles. :sunny:

So it depends on which riding skills they test.

IMO, there is only one critical skill, and that is being able to steer a motorcycle at open-road speeds around an obstacle, AFTER the rider has had a really bad fright. If you can do that - 90% of the battle is won. Unfortunately, people won't want to learn it because its a pain in the arse and they dont need it(sic), and it can't really be externally taught, AND it can't really be tested.

Ricardo S
21st April 2011, 20:15
tomorrow is the day!

Ricardo S
22nd April 2011, 23:16
just rode it to auckland from Tirau this morning!!! no incidents apart from me being 1/2 deaf from the loud exhaust. the bike is more responsive than i first thought it would be, overall pretty satisfied with it.

so far i changed the oil and filter, removed the pack rack and that's all for now but got to get new tyres and do something about the noisy exhaust...

The Singing Chef
23rd April 2011, 17:15
Oi Ricardo, What did you get? pictures please :-) Obrigado

Ricardo S
24th April 2011, 01:18
Oi Ricardo, What did you get? pictures please :-) Obrigado

hey chef, i got a DRZ400SM :D i planned to take some pics today during the trip to piha but forgot the camera... maybe tomorrow if i can remember to get the damn camera lol.

are you brazilian?

cheers

The Singing Chef
24th April 2011, 04:11
Nice! and bugger! wish i had a camera most days. and no just work with a brazilian chef :-)