PDA

View Full Version : Two Smoker Race report, Rnd 3 VMCC '05

Two Smoker
26th June 2005, 20:08
Hey everyone.

Yep it was that time again that myself, MR and Chloe headed down to Manfield. We managed to leave early just after 3pm, but hit Aucklands fucking traffic and didnt get out of Auckland till 5pm :mad: !!! Anyway, it rained all the way down till we got to the desert road, and wasnt looking good for the next day... Our hopes were raised when the rain eased and we saw dry roads. Best part of the trip was the fact we got to Hooks' place before midnight!!!

Race day, the roads were dry, and the sky overcast. I was hoping for this and also hoping for very little or no rain. Got to the track, signed up, and have our riders brief and what happens??? Its starts BUCKETING DOWN!!! Oh great, supercorsa tyres in the pouring rain... MR had a spare front tyre warmer so it was my mission before race start to get a front paddock stand, that was to no avail, till i went and asked KK, 6chris6 and Nodman if they had a stand... YES they had a trolly jack!!! I now had a hot front tyre!!!

Qualifying: I had been in the wet on supercorsas before, but this was absolutely pissing down... I took it very easy to start off with, just learning the tyre and its characteristics in the dumping rain... I tried putting in some fast laps, but was getting held up by other bikes. Then the race was red flagged due to a guy on the back straight hitting a puddle and coming off. I felt good out there and knew i could go faster, but wasnt expecting a good placing on the grid... To my amazment!!! I got 2nd on the grid!!! Just behind Hayden Fitzgerald (4 seconds behind hehehe) Jason Nairn had bike problems hence the bad placing, and Derek Hill also had bike problems... I managed to get my qualifying time to 1:30.7

Race 1: It was now all about a good race start (something i have to and havnt worked on...) I lined up and the grid, revved my engine less, flag drops, i ease the clutch out... vrrrroooooommmm about 10 bikes pass me, i let out the clutch heaps and nearly go up the back of svs's bike :wacko: I out braked alot of the bikes and settled into 6th place behind svs. I managed to pass svs, but due to my crap start had a long way to go to reel in Geoff Booth... Had a big moment going into the esses, where the front went big time and i did the old foot stamp on the ground and the bike was back up and going again :crazy: . It was really hard catching the front pack, as i was on my production tyres, and they all had wets on :( Had alot of wheelspin exiting corners and on the front and back straight. After about the 8th lap I couldnt feel the ends of my fingers (it was FREEZING) :cold: I finished the race in 5th place 3 seconds behind Geoff Booth after the 10 laps, and got my times down to 1:27.4

Race 2: Due to MR's change in decision not to race and let Nicko ride his bike, i managed to score MR's rear tyre warmer... Now time to finally get a good start!!! I lined up on the grid , revved the engine, flag dropped, slip the clutch.... YES its working!!! then too much clutch!!! wheelspin, then clutch in a bit, no wheelspin!!! I finally did it and managed to stay in the top 5 :yes: :niceone: I was trying to catch upto Craig Sullivan who was infront of me, but then i started to get little clutch problems (nothing major) slowing my top end down a bit... the left into the esses was very slippery and i backed it off there. I was doing well and holding my own in 5th place, have a quick look behind me, and there is svs hunting me down. The white flag waves, and svs out brakes me into the hairpin, stuffed up his line and i got him again.. braking into Higgins and svs got me again!!! but this time stayed infront, entering the sweeper, i out brake svs and go down the inside of him, sweet, now i have to hold him off, crank it over, knee down gas it... svs got a way better exit with his wets, and was coming up my left (should have bloody gone wide!!! hehehe) NNNNOOOOOOOO he JUST beats me to the line by 0.085 seconds!!!! Well done mate, VERY well ridden!!! That left me in 6th place with my best time dropping to 1:27.9...

Im now in 5th place in the championship with 6th-3rd all very close!!!

Im sorting out some wets for the next round, so hopefully can get faster out there...

HUGE thanks to Chloe (my G/F) Sudeep (Motoracer) and Hooks!!! Great to meet Marknz, and to see Lynda and Hamish as well as Garry H (braving the shitty weather) Cheers for the support from Nicko as well :niceone: Looking forward to making to the next one, just have to work out how :wacko: Going to sort out the clutch (i think it was because i used fully synthetic oil) and some tyre warmers...

Cheers, Chris :niceone:

GSVR
26th June 2005, 20:20
Good consistant riding on your part Chris.

You were 5th going into this and coming out 5th still after a totally wet round is great considering the competition on full wets.

See you at the next one.

Coyote
26th June 2005, 21:05
Great write up :niceone:

Glad I couldn't go if it was so wet, I would've had no hope of staying upright :p Hopefully be up for round 4... hopefully

How did the streetstock class go anyway?

ajturbo
26th June 2005, 21:32
great going TS!!!

wish i was there..NOT

in the rain... not much fun for us girly types....

get those wet sorted!!!

andy

gav
26th June 2005, 21:43
Good write up, one thing though, what the ferk were you riding? ZXR400 or GSXR600??

erik
26th June 2005, 22:41
Good write-up :niceone:

Milky
26th June 2005, 22:56
The mighty ZXR400 gav... the suzuki wouldn't have stood up in that sort of rain :bleh:

Two Smoker
27th June 2005, 08:08
Good write up, one thing though, what the ferk were you riding? ZXR400 or GSXR600??

Cheers everyone, I was riding my stock standard ZXR400L8 with SC1 supercorsa front and SC2 Supercorsa rear... To give an idea on the times, if i raced in F2 i would have been coming in the top 8 just behind or just infront of Nicko (who is still getting over the mid set of crashing at taupo)

Sparky Bills
27th June 2005, 08:49
Mate,
Your bloody fast out there!, and on those tyres in the wet!!
Hope ya manage to get down for the next round.

svs
27th June 2005, 09:19
Chris, I said it on the day, and I'll say it again - you're a bloody legend - going that pace with those tyres. I had a few slides with full wets.

Now all I've got to do is beat you in the dry :)

I had some pretty good rides, actually quite enjoyed it, apart from not being able to feel my fingers after about 6 laps.

Managed a 10th and 12th in F2, (top F3 bike in race 1), and a 6th and a 5th in F3. What chris didn't tell you in his write up above, was in the last race, I went to go past him after the start but got sandwiched between him and jason nairn so had to back off. Was about 12th/13th going into the first corner. Had to pick off riders over the next few laps and by about lap 5 I could see chris up front. I knew I could go faster than him in the wet, due to my tyres, so reeled him in. Coming into the last lap I was right on his tail and that's where the fun began. Cheers for the racing.

I'm now up to 7th in the championship, 2 places behind TS. I beat Craig (in the F2 race) and Derek and TS in F3. Now my aim is for a top 5 finish in the dry, and beat Geoff Booth. It's all good.

PS. Someone by TS some wets on wheels. I know he'd beat me then but he'd be up with the best of them.

Motoracer
27th June 2005, 11:22
I couldn't have been more impressed from your efforts Chris! Very, very well done and thanks for everything! :)

Sudeep.

mikey
27th June 2005, 16:06
hey dude,

why do you always thank your gf, she dont make oyu race any faster, tyre warmers do.....

Two Smoker
27th June 2005, 18:15
hey dude,

why do you always thank your gf, she dont make oyu race any faster, tyre warmers do.....

She keeps my bed warm, and she pays for my food, and supports me... she is also going to (hopefully) buy me some tyre warmers....

k14
27th June 2005, 18:22
Awesome effort man, keep it up. Good idea to get some wets, if you do I can guarantee it will be dry next round.

Two Smoker
27th June 2005, 18:37
Awesome effort man, keep it up. Good idea to get some wets, if you do I can guarantee it will be dry next round.

Yep LOL!!! Thats why im going to get some new Supercorsa's too.... man over a grand on tyres :crybaby:

Sensei
27th June 2005, 19:28
Hey 2 Smoker did you see a mate of mine racing He was on a GS450 Suzuki in the pre 89 class & on a Motomorini 350 . Name John Carter he's about 45Y's old is winning the pre 82's on the Morini . ??

Two Smoker
27th June 2005, 19:34
Hey 2 Smoker did you see a mate of mine racing He was on a GS450 Suzuki in the pre 89 class & on a Motomorini 350 . Name John Carter he's about 45Y's old is winning the pre 82's on the Morini . ??

Nah sorry mate i didnt, whats his race number? ill keep an eye out...

Sensei
27th June 2005, 19:41
Will check him out tomorrow should know have welded some stuff up on his bike a coulpe of times .

Firefight
27th June 2005, 19:51
hey Chris, great write up, you are doing so well for a nana :ride: , good on you for thanking your G/F, its good to have a partner who supports you as well as keeping your bed warm, and paying for your food(not to mention the fact that shes a HOTTIE) look after her mate, shes a keepa.

F/F :ride:

neil_cb125t
27th June 2005, 21:54
Top write up from top bloke!
I wish i could move up to "tyre warmers" and "Slicks"
Have to say have one set of tyres can be easier to pick chose, but the down side is ending up like my best mate johnboy!! :doh:
I know how he feels, I quald 2nd in 150's lined up for race one and my throttle cable fell out of the carb!! just fell the fuck out!! :mad:
So no show for me in street stock but thought would punish my RG in F3 for pissing me off so much. End Result :
26th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in both races!!! ON a 150, Me a 90kg dude on road tyres! the rain def leveled some of the playing field!!
:Punk:
I too had a bad round thou, in race 2 for 150's got the start down pact and lead for 8 laps which i was over joyed for!! i got pasted 2 times but got steve back both times within the lap, even pulled a second or 2 on him but decided to follow th GP guys throu higgins, got their line... paid the price. Rg's dont have ground clearance like GP's lost the back end low sided bummer!! :weird:
Didnt let go of he just picked her up. After steve missed running over me Cheers for that by the way!!!
Then kicked her over and made it home 3rd,
was happy to finish, but gutted to not take her home after the prom! :hug:

Good day hope to ddo better next round, reverse mean more of my fav lefties!!

FROSTY
27th June 2005, 22:13
onya chris--good ta see ya getting the results of ya labours.
looks like youre on the hunt for some wets dude.

Kwaka-Kid
27th June 2005, 22:13
shot dude! Thanks for your advice on the day aswell chris, and wicked writeup - was better to actually be there for a change and on the track at the same time.

LB
28th June 2005, 05:26
What a shitty day weather wise it was on Saturday - one of the coldest I've ever known at Manfeild (and I've been going there a few years now!)

Some very good racing guys, well done.

sarg
28th June 2005, 07:28
What a shitty day weather wise it was on Saturday - one of the coldest I've ever known at Manfeild (and I've been going there a few years now!)

Some very good racing guys, well done.
well done Chris TOP Effort

nicko
28th June 2005, 17:29
Cheers everyone, I was riding my stock standard ZXR400L8 with SC1 supercorsa front and SC2 Supercorsa rear... To give an idea on the times, if i raced in F2 i would have been coming in the top 8 just behind or just infront of Nicko (who is still getting over the mid set of crashing at taupo)

Yeah bro, you would have smoked me! Those are some awesome times for what you are on, think you can tick off mastering the wet (wanker) :p

ktulu
28th June 2005, 17:54
Yeah top effort fuck face

Two Smoker
28th June 2005, 18:59
Cheers everyone :niceone: especially you Nicko (wanker) hehehe.... Sooooooo how about a van ride down next round?????

That Guy
5th July 2005, 15:01
Awesome Chris. Don't forget to remember us KBikers when you're swanning around with your entourage and RC211V when it comes to getting some free passes for us to a GP sorted out will ya. Riders usually get 10 pit passes per race......