PDA

View Full Version : Replacment value insurance - does it exist

glegge
11th April 2011, 15:04
Call me daft or a dreamer, but can i get insurance that will pay me out what i will need to replace my bike with a bike the same or near too it.

IE i have a 2002 vfr800, reciently valued at 5750 by an approved dealer in Wellington.

It's got 120,000k's on it, and as the valuer said, it's in good condition for it's age, and has been well serviced and maintained.

It has a top box and rack (GIVI).

What i'd like very much to do, is to insure it so if the worst happens, i can go out and get another bike, with the top box and rack, in very similar condition (ie at least the same year, k's and condition) OR a new bike which would be suitable as a replacment today, and just carry on my life (injuries and emotional attachment to my bike allowing).

In a nut shell, i want to replace like for like (in the first instance) in the case of my bike being written off.

Does anyone know of such a company? or am i bonkers.

thanks.
I'd be interested to hear back - 'yeah try these guys' or 'nah, your bonkers', or 'what your asking for they would never do as it would cost to much' rather than 'it depends on how many owners - etc blah blah blah', or 'what about your riding gear as well, etc etc blah blah'..

MSTRS
11th April 2011, 15:32
All you can do is get a valuation, then take out Agreed Value cover for that amount. Ensure that you redo valuation etc at each renewal, otherwise the policy will likely revert to 'market value'* when you pay the new premium.
As for replacing like for like - that's luck of the draw as to what is available when you are looking. Insurance will just give you a cheque - what you do with it is your business.

* market value is what the insurer says it is...