PDA

View Full Version : Sun glare - I find it fun dodging traffic...

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 20:26
So on the road after going through some twisties on Scenic Drive, we were following a cage up a hill and the sun was in front of us but hidden by the crest of the hill, as we near the top the sun blinds us and the car in front, the lady in the car slams on the brakes and comes to a sudden stop, unfortunatley i could hardly see this thanks to the glare and the only thing i could see was the gixxer in front of me come to an abrubt stop, then having to guess where the car was go around to the other side and brake hard. what kind of dumbass brakes so damn suddenly with someone behind you? wish she stayed long enough so i could give her wing mirror a small tap.

superman
11th April 2011, 20:41
what kind of dumbass brakes so damn suddenly with someone behind you? wish she stayed long enough so i could give her wing mirror a small tap.

Doesn't matter if she's a dumbass. If you had of hit her backside that would have been your fault, and money out of your pocket to pay for the damage. That's why you have a safe following distance incase of any reason for a vehicle in front to stop suddenly.

Was in a car with my dad and he slammed on the brakes when about 12 ducks were crossing the road. Car behind smacks straight into the back of us, entire front of his car crushed in and our back pretty munted. Was expensive for him, free for us except a bloody hassle.

Surely you would have known where the sun was and that you were coming up the crest of a hill, why would you be so close behind a car that you wouldn't be able to stop way before her?! Sounds like asking for trouble.

ellipsis
11th April 2011, 20:43
...its a tough life out there matey...awareness of what is gonna happen next is nigh on impossible...but in this instance its fairly unreasonable to blame another uneducated or inexperienced person on the road for you being unaware...the sun has been coming up in the east and setting in the west,around evening time longer than I can remember...aint gonna change either..

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 20:48
I was maintaing a safe following distance thats why i didn't smack up her ass, and in that situation you would more so expect someone to slow down, not throw on their brakes, but to make sure that i am thinking of all possibilities i always look up, just incase a 747 is crash landing and i need to move to the left or right.

Mom
11th April 2011, 20:50
At this time of the year we all need to be very aware of sunstrike and take action to ensure we are not totally blinded.

To the driver of that car, you should have been going much, much more slowly anticiapting the sudden blindness thatt was about to be your world, so you did nto have to throw the picks on and suddenly stop.

To the OP, you also should have been very aware of what potentailly could happen due to the fact the the silly bint in the car in front of you was not slowing down in anticiaption of the low sun. Take responsibility for your own safety on the road, knocking a wing mirror off in this instance is WAY out of line. You were travelling too fast for the conditions :yes:

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 21:01
I will also say that it's damn hard to anticipate somebody emergency braking when you cant see them, or does everybody just slam on the brakes when they can't see the car in front properly? :shit:

FJRider
11th April 2011, 21:02
... as we near the top the sun blinds us and the car in front, the lady in the car slams on the brakes and comes to a sudden stop, unfortunatley i could hardly see this thanks to the glare and the only thing i could see was the gixxer in front of me come to an abrubt stop ....

Soooo .... if she didn't brake ... what would you have done ...

continued at the posted speed limt maybe ... ??? :innocent:

... without being able to see much ... even if you knew the road ... :facepalm:

you wouldn't be able to see where everybody on it was ... :blink:

Mom
11th April 2011, 21:06
I will also say that it's damn hard to anticipate somebody emergency braking when you cant see them, or does everybody just slam on the brakes when they can't see the car in front properly? :shit:

If you could not see them then you were going too fast for the conditions. She was in a car FFs, you should be able to see one of those up ahead.

As an aside there was a young fella killed up this way a couple of years ago. He was blindly going about his commute and due to sun strike did not see the truck up ahead had stopped. He paid a HUGE price for that.

SLOW DOWN when the sun is low!

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 21:13
Can i use the age old excuse "she was invisible?" lol

CookMySock
11th April 2011, 21:14
Was in a car with my dad and he slammed on the brakes when about 12 ducks were crossing the road. Car behind smacks straight into the back of us, entire front of his car crushed in and our back pretty munted. Was expensive for him, free for us except a bloody hassle.Thats a fucking stupid and dangerous thing to do. What if it was a 44 tonne truck and trailer unit up your arse? Do you think for a second he would have still stopped if he saw the car coming up quick behind him? Do you think for a second that even checked the rear vision mirror before taking that action? :facepalm:

What is even more stupid and dangerous, and that you don't understand that it was stupid and dangerous.

Run the fucking ducks over FFS.

superman
11th April 2011, 21:15
I will also say that it's damn hard to anticipate somebody emergency braking when you cant see them

I feel like Katman... but... if you can't see the car in front of you then you shouldn't be riding. Just like in very very heavy fog. In this case you knew that the sun would appear over the crest, and if the car all of a sudden cannot see in front of itself should she slowly coast to a stop? Or stop quickly incase there is a child on the road or a cow or anything, she can't see shit! She has no visual guide, and to keep going and slowing calmly could be the worst decision to make.

Granted she shouldn't have been going so fast as to cause her to commit such an action.

superman
11th April 2011, 21:17
What is even more stupid and dangerous, and that you don't understand that it was stupid and dangerous.

Run the fucking ducks over FFS.

Did I ever agree with my dads actions in that situation?! It was his driving, his decisons. Honestly chill out you douche.

Read posts completely and don't add in your own little ideas, I was just saying that if a car does stop suddenly and a collision occurs it is deemed the rear vehicles fault. I was in no way saying that if ducks cross the road you should slam on your brakes. :blink: Obviously I needed to make that more clear to you?

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 21:21
She should have already been scanning the road ahead of her for anything that could cause a problem, and there was nothing ahead of her, no cars, no children, just a nice easy corner.

And i never said that i hadn't slowed down, it's the fact that the sun had blinded me so much that all i could see was the back of the bike in front of me.

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 21:30
I feel like Katman... but... if you can't see the car in front of you then you shouldn't be riding..

Here's an example, your riding at night time and there is an easy corner up, you have looked as far as possible ahead and scanned for any potential danger to arise, there is none. you have a queue of cars following you (2 seconds behind) you see the car lights coming around the corner and you obviously slow down in anticipation to the blinding that is about to occur. The car gets around the corner and stuns you with his headlights, you can't see shit. do you focus on getting around the corner as we all have to do, or do you slam on your brakes every single damn time you can't see a thing?

FJRider
11th April 2011, 21:32
She should have already been scanning the road ahead of her for anything that could cause a problem, and there was nothing ahead of her, no cars, no children, just a nice easy corner.

And i never said that i hadn't slowed down, it's the fact that the sun had blinded me so much that all i could see was the back of the bike in front of me.

I think it difficult to scan the road ... if ya can't see the fucking thing ... :yes: :lol:

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 21:35
I think it difficult to scan the road ... if ya can't see the fucking thing ... :yes: :lol:

that's why you look before your blinded lol

superman
11th April 2011, 21:36
Here's an example, your riding at night time and there is an easy corner up, you have looked as far as possible ahead and scanned for any potential danger to arise, there is none. you have a queue of cars following you (2 seconds behind) you see the car lights coming around the corner and you obviously slow down in anticipation to the blinding that is about to occur. The car gets around the corner and stuns you with his headlights, you can't see shit. do you focus on getting around the corner as we all have to do, or do you slam on your brakes every single damn time you can't see a thing?

Ahhh touche. :yes:

Ok if I was the person at the front as you say, I would continue around knowing that the cars headlight would soon pass and visibility would quickly be returned.

If I was second and the person at the front slammed on their brakes I'd think they were a fucking idiot in doing it for such a situation. But they do have every right to slam on their brakes in a situation they deem to require immediate action.

FJRider
11th April 2011, 21:37
that's why you look before your blinded lol

You had problems seeing at the crest ... why would she NOT ... ???

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 21:40
Ahhh touche. :yes:

Ok if I was the person at the front as you say, I would continue around knowing that the cars headlight would soon pass and visibility would quickly be returned.

If I was second and the person at the front slammed on their brakes I'd think they were a fucking idiot in doing it for such a situation. But they do have every right to slam on their brakes in a situation they deem to require immediate action.

So you see my predicament? i wasn't riding stupidly and kept a safe following distance and hence why i didn't take her up the ass. i just dislike silly decisions, oh and Mom i most likely wouldn't take her wing mirror off, just venting. I reserve that for the real fuckheads in Auckland

FJRider
11th April 2011, 21:43

Actually ... the correct action of an experienced driver/rider would be to look down at the left-hand side of the road (at the continuous white line) ... not directly at the oncoming car lights (you go where you look remember ... )

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 21:43
You had problems seeing at the crest ... why would she NOT ... ???

Because you can see around the curve as you are coming up the hill, it's not a steep hill or obstructed by much

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 21:46
Actually ... the correct action of an experienced driver/rider would be to look down at the left-hand side of the road (at the continuous white line) ... not directly at the oncoming car lights (you go where you look remember ... )

And that wouldn't be covered under "getting around the corner"

FJRider
11th April 2011, 21:47
Because you can see around the curve as you are coming up the hill, it's not a steep hill or obstructed by much

by much ... ??? If you didn't anticipate HER actions ... you were the one in danger of causing an accident ...

marie_speeds
11th April 2011, 21:47

Get it all the time on the NW...what really amazes me are the ones crawling aong without sunnies...ffs a cheap pair from the $2 shop would do the job...

But how's this for a laugh...a friend got slammed into from behind whilst stopped at a red light. The offending driver couldn't understand why his car did not automatically stop because it was brand new and had sensors on it that are supposed to detect when the car is too near an object...:blink:

FJRider
11th April 2011, 21:50
And that wouldn't be covered under "getting around the corner"

Most experienced drivers/riders don't have a problem with it ... if you do ... perhaps you're not ...

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 21:53
Get it all the time on the NW...what really amazes me are the ones crawling aong without sunnies...ffs a cheap pair from the $2 shop would do the job...

But how's this for a laugh...a friend got slammed into from behind whilst stopped at a red light. The offending driver couldn't understand why his car did not automatically stop because it was brand new and had sensors on it that are supposed to detect when the car is too near an object...:blink:

:facepalm: stupid technology, and fj, you can't anticipate absolutley everything, what if a meteor struck you in the back of your head? have you installed a rear view pointed up so that you can anticipate that sort of thing happening, because unlikely as it is it could very well happen.

zeocen
11th April 2011, 21:55
I've got nothing to add to the topic, just came by to have a quick lol at DangerousBastard telling someone off about their road craft.

lol.

superman
11th April 2011, 21:56
The offending driver couldn't understand why his car did not automatically stop because it was brand new and had sensors on it that are supposed to detect when the car is too near an object...:blink:

Campervan... Cruise Control... Crashes while he's boiling the kettle. :facepalm:

FJRider
11th April 2011, 21:57
:facepalm: stupid technology, and fj, you can't anticipate absolutley everything, what if a meteor struck you in the back of your head? have you installed a rear view pointed up so that you can anticipate that sort of thing happening, because unlikely as it is it could very well happen.

When shit happens ... and it will frequently on the road ... :yes:

remember ... and you will be aware next time ... :yes:

It's called experience ... for a reason .. :yes:

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 21:57
Most experienced drivers/riders don't have a problem with it ... if you do ... perhaps you're not ...

And i said i had a problem with that? what the problem was, is that trying to emergency brake when you can't even see what your braking for is not the most enjoyable thing to be doing.

FJRider
11th April 2011, 22:03
And i said i had a problem with that? what the problem was, is that trying to emergency brake when you can't even see what your braking for is not the most enjoyable thing to be doing.

You must have had a problem with it ... you were the one bitching about it ...

If you cant see ... braking is usually the first option ...

marie_speeds
11th April 2011, 22:08
Campervan... Cruise Control... Crashes while he's boiling the kettle. :facepalm:

Really? that's hilarious...did some idiot actually set their campervan to cruise control and then wandered off? I'll google that now for a giggle:laugh:

The Singing Chef
11th April 2011, 22:13
You must have had a problem with it ... you were the one bitching about it ...

If you cant see ... braking is usually the first option ...

I have no problem cornering with cars lights in my face at night, nor do i have a problem cornering with sunstrike, essentially it is the same thing, what i so have a problem with, is the objects that appear into that blind stop created by the sun and staying there.

superman
11th April 2011, 22:17
Really? that's hilarious...did some idiot actually set their campervan to cruise control and then wandered off? I'll google that now for a giggle:laugh:

I'm not sure it's true, was a story told to me but I never checked out its validity. Have a feeling it might just be one of those urban legends. :yes:

FJRider
11th April 2011, 22:33
I have no problem cornering with cars lights in my face at night, nor do i have a problem cornering with sunstrike, essentially it is the same thing, what i so have a problem with, is the objects that appear into that blind stop created by the sun and staying there.

Get used to it then ... expect such ... and you may live longer ...

Camshaft
12th April 2011, 07:01
shit some of u guys are just out to pik a fight. im the guy on the gixxer that is refered to in earlier posts and was maintaing a good 50m following distance as i had already estabilishd she was 45-55 yr old female in a swift (TROUBLE) and knew that the sun was going to give trouble but nothing could have warned you to a full stop from 80 to 0 in v8 supercar style speeds. there has never been a time , in a cage bike or any other vehicle where the glare has been so bad that u have to stop in the middle of the open road.

You idiots, its more dangerous to stop and risk killing urself and a family that happend to ploughs into the back of you because u chose to stop on the open road. NO IFS BUTS OR MAYBES.

Camshaft
12th April 2011, 07:12

you just sound like a dick, trying to pick at everything, if u were in the position that is described u would have beeen angry at that bitch to as the glare wasnt toataly blinding hence the fact we both stopped in time but it was one of those this could have gone alot worse thn it did moments and stopping on open roads is basicaly never ok.

and i dont no, maybe youve never ridden at night before as your mummy and daddy dont let you out after dark or ur just plain to scarred of the boogy man but when jackasses come around a bend with high beams on you loose all vision, nomatter where you look. A real rider adjusts to each situation as it arises in the safest way possible , he doesnt sit on kiwi biker and reads scripts from a text book tryin tell others how great he is in his leathers on his 0bhp computer chair.

Maha
12th April 2011, 07:16
shit some of u guys are just out to pik a fight. im the guy on the gixxer that is refered to in earlier posts and was maintaing a good 50m following distance as i had already estabilishd she was 45-55 yr old female in a swift (TROUBLE) and knew that the sun was going to give trouble but nothing could have warned you to a full stop from 80 to 0 in v8 supercar style speeds. there has never been a time , in a cage bike or any other vehicle where the glare has been so bad that u have to stop in the middle of the open road.

You idiots, its more dangerous to stop and risk killing urself and a family that happend to ploughs into the back of you because u chose to stop on the open road. NO IFS BUTS OR MAYBES.

Agreed, but heres the thing, when following a car/s, bike position is paramount, just like group riding on bikes. Your options are limited if you dont have an 'out route' at all times. The person in front will mostly just be thinking of themself 100% of the time, as should you (the follower) should be.........I know I do.

Camshaft
12th April 2011, 07:25
Agreed, but heres the thing, when following a car/s, bike position is paramount, just like group riding on bikes. Your options are limited if you dont have an 'out route' at all times. The person in front will mostly just be thinking of themself 100% of the time, as should you (the follower) should be.........I know I do.

totlay agree and thats why im yet to have an accident where im at fault. or where my actions could have avoided an accident

Owl
12th April 2011, 07:32
she was 45-55 yr old female in a swift (TROUBLE)

How about a 38-42yr old female in a Swift?:whistle:

CookMySock
12th April 2011, 07:40
Did I ever agree with my dads actions in that situation?! It was his driving, his decisons. Honestly chill out you douche.Alright. Sorry. </10 chars>

Eyegasm
12th April 2011, 08:24
:rofl:

This thread is full of win.

:facepalm: