PDA

View Full Version : 5.8s Drag.

george formby
12th April 2011, 16:42
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V1m1PMXsk-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maha
12th April 2011, 16:49
232:75 mph.....:blink:

george formby
12th April 2011, 16:54

Wot a place to rest the family jewels:blink:

CookMySock
12th April 2011, 19:44
But can it corner? :blink:

FJRider
12th April 2011, 19:52

No corners on that bit of road ... :innocent:

nallac
12th April 2011, 21:07

does it need to..............built for one thing only, an fuck it does it well......

shit 0-375kph in 5.8 seconds........what a rush that'd be..

pete376403
12th April 2011, 21:42
Odd how the best engine technology is based on quite old designs - ie this bike can trace its roots to 1970s 2 valve per cylinder Kawasaki Z1s, just as top fuel drag engines hark back to 1950s Chrysler Hemis.
McGee built a 4 valve Top Fuel engine but could never get it to run with the Hemis.

superman
12th April 2011, 22:11
shit 0-375kph in 5.8 seconds........what a rush that'd be..

Fuck that's pulling almost 2g's. :gob:

Richard
13th April 2011, 15:19

Hi
Did you know that our own Top Fuel Rider Athol Williams has run 238mph on his bike?
Until recently that was the 4th fastest drag bike run in the world.
I even have a Titanium Intake Valve that was in the RB Performance engine that ran that speed.
Just a few days back Korry Hogan ran 255mph.
If you ever get a chance to see a Top Fuel Drag bike run you should..they are incredible.
Thanks
Richard

george formby
13th April 2011, 15:23
Hi
Did you know that our own Top Fuel Rider Athol Williams has run 238mph on his bike?
I even have a Titanium Intake Valve that was in the RB Performance engine that ran that speed.
If you ever get a chance to see a Top Fuel Drag bike run you should..they are incredible.
Thanks
Richard

I did not know that. Thanks Richard.:yes:

Maha
13th April 2011, 15:26
Hi
Thanks
Richard

Many Many years, perhaps late 70's early 80's a few of us were at Meremere night drags...Doug Brown had his jet car there called Wldfire...anyway, later on, we were in the pits and talking to this bloke called Athol. Dont remeber his last name but back then he was talking about putting a V8 into a bike frame..
We were there in the pits with a Morrinsville bloke called Howard Smith, he used to do Chrome work for hot rodders around the Waikato.
Oh the memories.

ducatilover
13th April 2011, 15:29
Odd how the best engine technology is based on quite old designs - ie this bike can trace its roots to 1970s 2 valve per cylinder Kawasaki Z1s, just as top fuel drag engines hark back to 1950s Chrysler Hemis.
McGee built a 4 valve Top Fuel engine but could never get it to run with the Hemis.

Find engine technology that isn't an old design :innocent: With the exception of variable valve timing (in application, the idea is billions of years old)

Not much is new :facepalm:

steve_t
13th April 2011, 15:36
Find engine technology that isn't an old design :innocent: With the exception of variable valve timing (in application, the idea is billions of years old)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Y8QqeuvArE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:innocent:

ducatilover
13th April 2011, 15:38
:innocent:

My mistake, I meant, engines being used in racing :facepalm:
That's neat though!

Steltzer engine design was 50's wasn't it? And the OPOC was well before that.

steve_t
13th April 2011, 15:40
My mistake, I meant, engines being used in racing :facepalm:
That's neat though!

Yeah, I remembered seeing it a few months back. I wonder if it'll ever make it to production. Sorry, I was just being a smart arse :shutup::drinkup:

ducatilover
13th April 2011, 15:46
Yeah, I remembered seeing it a few months back. I wonder if it'll ever make it to production. Sorry, I was just being a smart arse :shutup::drinkup:

They've been using them for yonks. Junker made an OPOC aircraft motor in '32, was a dirty oil burner too :love:.

steve_t
13th April 2011, 15:50
They've been using them for yonks. Junker made an OPOC aircraft motor in '32, was a dirty oil burner too :love:.

Oh yes, Wikipedia shoulda been a first port of call :facepalm:

pete376403
13th April 2011, 22:03
Napier Deltic is probably taking opposed piston to the max.
However WRT to drag engines, old tech, 2 valve, pushrod (the hemi car engines), magneto ignited compared to (say) formula 1 - 4v dohc, variable valve timing, pneumatic valve springs, all the electronic wizardry they can think of, etc.
If any of this stuff would make a difference in drag racing it would be done, yet they always go back to the old stuff - I guess supercharging, 98% nitromethane, hydrazine and other assorted chemicals means never having to say your engine was down on power

ducatilover
14th April 2011, 00:39
Napier Deltic is probably taking opposed piston to the max.
However WRT to drag engines, old tech, 2 valve, pushrod (the hemi car engines), magneto ignited compared to (say) formula 1 - 4v dohc, variable valve timing, pneumatic valve springs, all the electronic wizardry they can think of, etc.
If any of this stuff would make a difference in drag racing it would be done, yet they always go back to the old stuff - I guess supercharging, 98% nitromethane, hydrazine and other assorted chemicals means never having to say your engine was down on power
A huge reason for the pushrod set up is strength.
The resson for 2v is 4v would weld to the heads or melt, the exhaust valves are red hot and igniting the fuel halfway down the run as the plugs are fuuuucked
You can arguably get better fowl from multi valve set ups, but, as above...
In the set up of the cars there is a MASSIVE amount of elec wizardry, weather maps and stations etc etc. Even with mechanical fuel injection one should be looking at cloud cover, air vs track temp, wind speeds etc.
Exciting stuff!

Oh yes, Wikipedia shoulda been a first port of call :facepalm:
It always is :love:

GD66
22nd April 2011, 12:23
Fuck that's pulling almost 2g's. :gob:

I was having a chat at Kwinana a couple of weeks back with Chris Mathieson, who now runs this bike, formerly known as The Hulk, in the ANDRA Pro Series under the Nitro Voodoo banner. There's a couple of Athol's assistants in the crew, by the way, including Roger Bloor. Chris said their data recorders indicate that it's up towards 4g at launch, and nearly 3g at shutoff. Bike weighs over 450kg, and pokes out around 1300 hp from 1500cc...:shit:
Jeeez !

They have a website, http://www.nitrovoodoo.com.au which is quite interesting. Have to agree with Richard, they are awesome to see in action !

sil3nt
22nd April 2011, 20:49
2gs doesn't sound enough. 4 sounds better. That is mental. Top fuel dragsters do 6 :gob:

ducatilover
22nd April 2011, 23:09
2gs doesn't sound enough. 4 sounds better. That is mental. Top fuel dragsters do 6 :gob:

Top fuelers are doing sub 4.5, most only run on a thousand foot track now because they are carrying too much speed to safely stop in most American strips. They must average over 4G for the entire run, to get to 200mph before half track require a bit more than 8G :shit:.
8000hp tends to do that :love:

White trash
23rd April 2011, 07:14
Hi
Thanks
Richard

Athol running out of road :D237101

BIG DOUG
25th April 2011, 17:17
there is a video on korry hogans 255mph run on u-tube,and he has a camera mounted to his helmet and you can see him wrestling it hard at 3/4 track big balls that boy.

Edbear
25th April 2011, 17:47

As has been said, it requires absolute brute strength to cope with the pressures and temperatures, so simple and strong wins! :yes:

I'v e told you a million times, don't exaggerate! :blink:

there is a video on korry hogans 255mph run on u-tube,and he has a camera mounted to his helmet and you can see him wrestling it hard at 3/4 track big balls that boy.

Drag racing either bike or car requires a certain type of person... I couldn't do it! :bye:

HenryDorsetCase
25th April 2011, 20:41
I really enjoyed that.