PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgghh. Li'l Ratty shat himself. Let the side down he did.

Ixion
26th June 2005, 23:44
(interesting lesson in not jumping to conclusions though)

Finished werk today, with an hour or so of daylight left. So it seemed a good idea to take Li'l Ratty for a short pootle . Up to Silverdale, along the Wainui Rd to Kaukop and back down SH16.

All good and pootling along happily at 110 or so. Then a guy in a V8 Commodor comes up behind and zips past and starts winding in some serious speed . Oh , be my guest, happy to have you in front. First in line, cops the fine.

And I'd been hankering to know what Li'l Ratty would wind up to . So, here I had a rabbit to hide behind. Off we go, and he was going at a nice clip (either that or he though I was racing him, which I wasn't . I just wanted him flush the cops out).

Anyway after a bit of good fastish stuff (well fastish for me anyway, I know it's nothing to you sportsbikers), Mr Rabbit turns off down a side road.

Oh well, that was fun (just over the (imperial) ton indicated by the way - about what the spec claims allowing for speedo error).

Sit up, back off throttle and allow engine braking to take me down to about 90kph. Nice and legal again. Then open the throttle to pootle off again.

WTF. Something is sick. Misfiring stammering jerking like a sick thing. Oh shit shit what have I done. Over-revving ? Bent valve ? Cam chain jumped ? Oh bugger

Pull in the clutch and coast down to about 20kph. Hm, idling OK, no nasty noises, no sign of oil , blip it a bit, sounds OK. check plug lead other obvious stuff. Hm, maybe I just fouled a plug - or the vibration shook some shit into the carby? Pain if it's a plug cos I haven't got a plug spanner with me. In fact I have no tools whatsoever. Nada. Zilch. And the plug is one of those stupid 18mm ones, that no-one will have a spanner for.

However, fouled plugs on a 4 stroke will often clear themselves. So, press on and see,

So on I go but the misfiriing is getting worse and now it's being accompanied by some ferocious backfiring through the exhaust, and a distinct lack of power.

Hell, maybe I did bend a valve. Shouldn't have though, cos I had a coupla thousand rpm left (it's overgeared)

Head for home, boy. Turn left at Waitoki instead of right. Stagger along spluttering and coughing at 90kph. Until it starts missing REALLY badly, slows down to about 50kph and then makes a FORMIDABLE exhaust explosion (I had to check I hadn't blown the innards out of the silencer) , and the motor stops completely. Oh hell, bugger of a place to break down too.

Coast to a halt, what have I broken. Sounds serious. Fark, I should never have gotten carried away. The biker gods are punishing me for breaking speed limits. Or something.

Hm. Odd. I don't have any electrics. None at all. Whats going on here.

Very odd. Pull off the seat (a major task in itself I may add), and check battery. Looks OK. Hm, reset the circuit breaker. Ah, we have power. Try to start. Eureka, at least it starts (always a relief, that) . Off again, and a mile up the road, it's splutter, bang, bang , durrrgggghhhhh again. And again, no electrics.

I know you're impatient people, so I'll skip the logical trouble shooting process and tell you the result. Dud tail light. Yep, all of that, due to the tail light.

Bad bit of design, the cable for the rear lights runs through a hole in the bulb holder. Which is earthed, And vibration had chafed the wire on the metal until it wore through. Since I ride with lights on , the short was enough to knock out ignition , but because it uses a circuit breaker instead of a fuse, it didn't blow immediately. Backfiring was just the unburnt mixture going off. And eventually the short lasted long enough to pop the C/B.

So I had my first roadside repair session in quite a while.(By now twas too dark to risk riding without lights unless I really had to) . With only a Swiss Army knife for a toolkit (thank heavens I had that though).

Some inspired rewiring later, push the button, off we go and it's all good . Wahoo.

Until I start down Albany Hill.Splutter bang Durrrgggghhhh. Bugger. Stop, check my jury rig wiring, looks OK, restart, and off again.

Get as far as the Harbour Bridge, and durrrggghhh again. Luckily just by the bit where the cops hang out, where there's plenty of room to stop. Jury rig still looks good, restarts OK, and off again. Hm what's going on now. Over the bridge (fingers crossed) OK, and then into Hobson St (going to go down Gt Sth Rd, don't fancy the motorway on a dodgy bike). And durrrrggghhh. Except this time I noticed it happened just as I indicated.

Seat off again, and I realise whats happened. The original short got things hot enough to cook the loom, so that now the indicator and brake light wires are naked under the loom covering. And able to touch the equally naked earth wire. So when I brake or indicate it shorts.

More on the spot rewiring gets me a brake light, and I just won't use indicators (hand signal instead).

All good after that, and home OK. All fixed now, nice new wiring, lotsa silicone, and some revised mountings.

Shame on you Li'l Ratty, letting the side down.

Goes to show not to jump to conclusions though. Cos it happened immediately after I backed off from fanging it, I assumed that I'd overstressed something. Nothing to do with it, just a coincidence. But who would have though misfiring, backfiring and jerking under load would be a faulty tail light !

Must organise some sort of tool kit too. I've gotten complacent about the reliability of Jap bikes. Oddly I do carry a reasonably good kit on the Whale, just cos it's got plenty of room. Trouble with Li'l Ratty , is it doesns't really have a tool box. I'll have to improvise something.

justsomeguy
27th June 2005, 00:49
Wow, I'm impressed......

Ixion is KB's MacGyver

:not: :not: :not: :not::not:

Ghost Lemur
27th June 2005, 01:19
Wow, I'm impressed......

Ixion is KB's MacGyver

:not: :not: :not: :not::not:

You and me both.

*files that piece of information away in the "I hope I never need to bloody know that" box*

scumdog
27th June 2005, 08:33
Had an electrical problem with the Sporty that was a bit of a mystery - like yours.

While cruising at 100k or so the rev counter would wobble up and down and then sometimes sit at 8,000rpm - then it would be o.k. for a bit, also at times the engine would crank over slower than normal when I hit the button. sometimes.

Once after having a bit of a 'tinker' I discovered the earth lead loose at the battery (have had this problem on my last H-D, ONLY on the earth, :weird: ) and after tightening it the problem went away - but then returned intermittently (sp), though maybe the battery was getting stuffed - it's now over 7 years old.

Had the bike out a couple of days ago and it was doing that 8,000rpm thing again, "aha" thinks me "earth lead loose at the battery again" and I shot back home, the lead seemed o.k.but gave it a tighten-up - and no difference!!
Back to the workshop and clean up lead, battery post and check the + side just to be sure - STILL does it!! argh.

Mongoose turns up and we go through the "check everything routine" and now the bike won't start - worse, when I hit the start button the dash lights went out!!, then Mongoose wiggles the earth strap and the dash light flicker on then off as he moved the lead so at least we know roughly what to do.

But no, half an hour of file-and-emery-cloth cleaning it STILL does it but now it seems that moving the frame end of the neg. lead has the most effect, a check of the bolt there shows it's still tight.

O.K., rush to end of story, the earth strap had broken just above where the terminal end is crimped on at the frame end and this was hidden by the protective sleeve, dont ask me how that happened as there is NO movement down there, maybe in the past somebody heaved too hard on the lead while trying to hook it up to the battery???

Biff
27th June 2005, 10:34
Well done Ixion. A lesser mortal would have shat their pants and called in a tow truck. Have a drink on me for your ingenuitability. :drinkup:

thehollowmen
27th June 2005, 10:55
Good work for an on-the-spot diagnosis.

No way in hell I could have done anything like that.
KUDOS

Ixion
27th June 2005, 11:02
Well done Ixion. A lesser mortal would have shat their pants and called in a tow truck. Have a drink on me for your ingenuitability. :drinkup:

Heh, back in the days of Briddish bikes you HAD to be good at roadside mechanics. Twasn't a proper ride unless at least one person had their bike dismantled by the roadside. Those wooden picnic tables make really good workbenchs.

Haven't had to do any roadside wrenching for a few years now though.

Eurodave
27th June 2005, 11:17
What???, No toolkit??? Are you mental??[Waynes World]the reason you broke down was actually that you had inflamed the biker gods by blatantly flouting Murphys Law & not carrying a toolkit. The aforementioned Gods chose to remind you that a swiss army knike is no real substitute for decent tools [or a brick & a cold chisel if you ride a Harley or anything Old British]. You should know by now that the tool you dont carry is the exact one that you will need in the event of a breakdown
Them new fangled japanese bikes have lulled us all into a false sense of security.... Beware!!!

Ixion
27th June 2005, 11:23
What???, No toolkit??? Are you mental??[Waynes World]the reason you broke down was actually that you had inflamed the biker gods by blatantly flouting Murphys Law & not carrying a toolkit. The aforementioned Gods chose to remind you that a swiss army knike is no real substitute for decent tools [or a brick & a cold chisel if you ride a Harley or anything Old British]. You should know by now that the tool you dont carry is the exact one that you will need in the event of a breakdown
Them new fangled japanese bikes have lulled us all into a false sense of security.... Beware!!!

Yeah, I got to sort out a toolkit . Thing is, there's nowhere to put it, just a tiny recess behind the tail lamp, might hold a plug spanner at most.

At least Briddish bikes did have really big tool boxes. Hm, odd that wonder if they were trying to tell us something ?

BMW, I carry a goodish kit, cos there's heaps of space for it. Carry jumper cables, and rope, and all that sort of stuff too. And if I go for a proper ride I always carry one, but this was just an after work pootle.

Eurodave
27th June 2005, 11:25
Dont forget the extra chain link [ esp for the Beemer :rofl: ]

Wolf
27th June 2005, 11:30
Well done, Ixion. Would've screwed me for certain - I'd've been the one shitting myself and phoning a mate with a trailer.

A wiring issue. :oi-grr: Jeez! Who'd'a thought?

Have to get you to take my GSX250 for a ride so you can work out why it dies on you 2 mins up the road. :devil2: (It does have a tool kit in it in case your pocket knife is not sufficient...)

Eurodave
27th June 2005, 11:30
Actually, if youve got a little extra room ,a can of compression, a tin of elbow grease , a sky hook & a long weight[wait] wouldnt go amiss!!!

Blackbird
27th June 2005, 11:31
Proud of you - great tale. That horrible sick knot in your stomach when things go pear-shaped miled from home is most unpleasant!

Geoff

Ixion
27th June 2005, 11:45
Stupid double post., please ignore. Sorry

skidz
27th June 2005, 11:50
Good to see you can work out your problem. I would have found the first pub to have a think about the situation. (Never can tell how long it would take.)

Lou Girardin
27th June 2005, 11:51
Had an electrical problem with the Sporty that was a bit of a mystery - like yours.

While cruising at 100k or so the rev counter would wobble up and down and then sometimes sit at 8,000rpm - then it would be o.k. for a bit, also at times the engine would crank over slower than normal when I hit the button. sometimes.

??

Dead giveaway that, a harley tacho at 8000. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DingDong
27th June 2005, 11:53
Great find.. a stroke of genius, I would have pushed it in the drain and hitched home.
Nah not really, I've come across this before but it was caused by a short closer to the battery that heated the wires and melted the insulation... it was over-charging for some reason. I think I ripped that bike to bits for a farm hack after that. :yes:

scumdog
27th June 2005, 11:54
Dead giveaway that, a harley tacho at 8000. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Made an impressive photo though, told everybody I was doing 105km in 2nd gear at 8,000rpm!!! And some believed it!! :rofl: