PDA

View Full Version : It ain't the tool...

SPman
27th June 2005, 07:38
Came across this editorial in Motorcycle Online. For those with subs - http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/05_Aint_The_Tool/index.motml

For those without - thought I'd print it out -
It Ain't The Tool<o ="">

</o> Editorial By Fred Rau - April, 2005

I remember once, back when I was about 11 years old, watching a pitchman at a carnival as he demonstrated a gyroscopic toy that he balanced on a string between his hands. He made the toy run back and forth on the string, turn upside-down, do somersaults and all kinds of other incredible stunts. I just had to have one, and shelled out my whole month's hard-earned allowance of $5.00 to get "one of the last ones left." Naturally, after getting back home with my prize, I found that I couldn't make it do any of the things the carney had demonstrated. It ended up in the back of my closet, an embarrassing reminder of how I'd been taken.

Months later, when confessing to my Grandfather about what had happened, he pulled out an old pocketknife he always carried with him and held it up in front of me.

"Remember when I carved you a toy airplane out of a block of wood with this knife?" he asked.

"Sure, Grandpa."

"Well, if I sold you this knife," he said, "do you think you could carve your own toy airplane with it?"

"No, Grandpa. I don't know how."

"Exactly; it took me years to learn, and lots of practice. It ain't the tool, boy. It's the man operating it. Just like with your toy."

A couple of years later, that lesson stood me in good stead when a small-time con man came to a playground in town and gathered a large crowd of pre-teens around himself by showing off with a yo-yo. I have never, before or since, seen anyone make a yo-yo do the things that guy could. Of course, after his demonstration, he opened up a suitcase full of brightly-colored yo-yos and started selling them to all the kids for a buck apiece. Several kids ran home to break open their piggy banks, just so they could get one. I was about the only holdout--standing there thinking about that gyro toy, and what my Grandpa had said.

Of course, none of my friends could ever get their yo-yos to do any of the tricks they'd seen. Most of the toys broke after just a few hours of trying, anyway, as they were very cheaply made. If that guy is still alive today, I'll bet he's on Channel 99 at 3:00 a.m., selling "kitchen magicians."

Fast-forward another forty years later. I am riding up one of my favorite canyon roads, following my good friend Walt Fulton. We are just out for a little Sunday morning putt, but even when he's just dawdling along, Walt is a challenge for me to keep up with. Some of you older guys might recognize the name, but for those who don't, Walt is a former factory team racer for two different major motorcycle manufacturers, a four-time Daytona winner and the guy who wore the helmet camera that filmed all those famous on-track racing scenes in the movie "On Any Sunday." Even now, over 30 years later, Walt doesn't own a car, rides every day, and works as both a motorcycle riding instructor and a motorcycle accident reconstruction expert. I have never met, and probably never will meet, anyone with a greater understanding of the dynamics of motorcycling, or the skills to utilize that knowledge so effectively.

Anyway, there we were tooling up the mountain, when we came up behind two young men on what appeared to be very new and expensive hyper-bikes. One was definitely a Hayabusa, and I think the other was a CBR of some kind, though it'd been repainted and all the badging was removed, so I couldn't be sure. Both bikes sported aftermarket exhausts, and from their sound, probably had their engines tricked out, too. The riders both sported very expensive racing leathers, color-matched to their machines, complete with titanium kneepucks and those stylish new "humps" on their backs, to reduce air turbulence from the helmet when you are "tucked in." In all, they looked like very serious riders.

However, the illusion was quickly dispelled as we went around a few curves together. Though their engines screamed a beautiful note as they revved up and downshifted, and each rider hung radically off his bike to touch a knee to the tarmac, their line through the curves was wide and undisciplined, and their bikes' lean angles were actually fairly moderate. Everything about their appearance gave the illusion of speed, except the actual speed just wasn't there. Nor was the control, as they exited each turn far too wide, and well out of position to set up for the next.

It just so happened that on this particular day, rather than riding one of his newer, faster bikes, Walt was "exercising" a 15-year-old BMW Boxer of his that had, as I recall, about 250,000 miles under its wheels. The Boxer was bone stock, and by Walt's own admission was, "overdue for a whole new suspension," because it was "handling pretty badly."

Despite all that, after following the two superbikes through a couple of more curves, when they swung wide through a long, right-hand sweeper, Walt simply downshifted the old Beemer and zipped past them both in a heartbeat - on the inside. He never changed his position on the seat, or did anything trendy like sticking a knee out. He just leaned over, nailed the throttle, and smoothly and quickly knifed through the turn. I don't think either of the guys he passed even hit the apex of their turns before Walt was out the other end, straightening up and accelerating away.

Being a much less accomplished rider, I waited for a longer, straighter opportunity to pass, and caught up with Walt at a pre-determined coffee shop a few miles away. As we sat there warming up and relaxing, the two pseudo-streetfighters buzzed past and Walt said, "I was hoping they might stop in here. I would really like to try to talk them into getting some decent training. It's not just that they'd enjoy riding so much more, but if they keep up like that, somebody is going to get seriously hurt." I nodded in agreement as he continued, "It's a shame that so many of these young riders nowadays think it's all about buying the best or fastest or most expensive bike they can find. Or maybe even worse, that they think that if they buy the trickest Yoshimura exhaust can, or trendiest race tire or Ohlins suspension or whatever, that it will make them ride better. Sure, those things will give you an edge, but only if you've already mastered the basics - and they don't have a clue."

At that moment; for the first time in over 40 years, I saw my Grandfather's face again, and heard those words: "It ain't the tool, boy - it's the man operating it."
"Nuff said..

WildBoarMouse
27th June 2005, 07:55
Nice... :yes: No need to say anything else. :)

Motu
27th June 2005, 09:12
Seen that one many times of course.

Back when I was riding trials in the early 80s we had a change of ''tools'',light weight bikes were coming out and our big old Bultaco's were seriously hampered as they set the sections to take points out of these little bikes.So we had to change our tools too to keep up,not new bikes,but just something lighter,taller and narrower.One of our top riders was going to ride in England and was due to leave in a couple of weeks,his bike already sold.So he rode a last trial on an old bike he had at home,a ''round head'' Sherpa,about 1964 vintage - it was a difficult trial,some sections almost impossible....but he still won,on a bike so uncompetitive it wasn't funny.The flashest latest tool on the block isn't gunna do you any good if you don'y know how to use it.

myvice
27th June 2005, 20:33
Truer words are seldom spoken.
The more I learn, the more I love riding.

ZorsT
27th June 2005, 20:41
I enjoyed that read, thanks for sharing SP

k14
27th June 2005, 21:21
Ditto, very very true and very good read.

XP@
27th June 2005, 21:37
{Smug Grin}
Been there... Turangi - Taupo.
passed and lost the 600. The 1000 decided my F650 was fair game (but not on the bends) so I left him to collect the points (which he did about 5 km's out of Taupo ;-)

That made up for all the times it had been done to me in the past.

FROSTY
27th June 2005, 21:56
ohh soo true so very very true

Beemer
4th July 2005, 16:58
So true, you could give me a superbike and even if I could touch the ground, there is no way in the world I would be able to utilise more than say one percent of its potential.

But on my old RG I was pretty good! I learned very quickly when I got my first bike that looks can be deceptive - the prettiest bikes weren't necessarily the fastest. My husband has a couple of 20 year-old bikes and he still manages to keep up with the best of them on the road and at track days - but that's because he knows the bikes inside and out and also he can ride well.

As for me, even with the best tools in the world, even with endless practise and a huge rise in my skill level, I will never be Walt!

justsomeguy
4th July 2005, 17:04
Two Smoker on a RG150 vs the big boys on their 600's and litre bikes......

MR on Sulav's dirt bike vs the big boys on their 600's and litre bikes.........

It ain't the tool......

Check my sig.....

SuperDave
4th July 2005, 17:56
Thanks for that post man, enjoyed reading it.

crashe
4th July 2005, 18:19
That was great reading... and so true.

Drew
4th July 2005, 18:34
How very cool, but methinks the people who should read it, will consider themselves the master of the tool, and not the aprentice.
I know I think I'm pretty good, and although I don't make it easy for anyone to breeze by me, I'm sure it will happen soon enough. :yes:

RiderInBlack
4th July 2005, 19:53
I remember being tought that lessen on a ride with the BOP CC. One of the riders had an old Norton Commando. I was on a VFR750. Ooh, I could pass him on the straight, but as soon as the twisties come he'd catch me and I'd soon be seeing his rear disappearing in front of me:rofl:

Lessens learnt:

Ride to your ability not someone elses.
Don't under-rate a rider based on what he is riding.
Remember how long you have been riding and allow time for you skill to grow. The other riders you are riding with could have been riding a lot longer than you, so don't feel bad if they are "out riding" you.

EnzoYug
16th January 2008, 14:10
*bump*

for the newbies.

clint640
18th January 2008, 12:32
True indeed. About the time I thought I was getting pretty good on my old TDR 250, had done a few track days & lots of riding on it, I met up with a guy with the same bike, pretty std like mine, on a twisty road I knew well. I had some good road rubber on, he was on adv style semi knobs. Hmmm... I'll have the edge with my sticky tyres thinks I...

Where'd he go? :laugh:

Clint

pete376403
19th January 2008, 22:53
When I started riding speedway it was on an old JAP. I "knew" that if I had a better bike I'd go faster. Got a 2v Jawa just about the time when 4v motors where coming in.... I just "knew" that if I had a better bike I'd be faster. Got a 4v Weslake...then a 4v Jawa that used to be David Barghs (a very fast rider from the late 80's). No-one was going to catch me now... got totally blown away by Merv Hogson from Fielding riding a JAP.

El Dopa
20th January 2008, 08:43
we came up behind two young men on what appeared to be very new and expensive hyper-bikes. One was definitely a Hayabusa, and I think the other was a CBR of some kind, though it'd been repainted and all the badging was removed, so I couldn't be sure. Both bikes sported aftermarket exhausts, and from their sound, probably had their engines tricked out, too. The riders both sported very expensive racing leathers, color-matched to their machines, complete with titanium kneepucks and those stylish new "humps" on their backs, to reduce air turbulence from the helmet when you are "tucked in." In all, they looked like very serious riders.

However, the illusion was quickly dispelled as we went around a few curves together. Though their engines screamed a beautiful note as they revved up and downshifted, and each rider hung radically off his bike to touch a knee to the tarmac, their line through the curves was wide and undisciplined, and their bikes' lean angles were actually fairly moderate. Everything about their appearance gave the illusion of speed, except the actual speed just wasn't there. Nor was the control, as they exited each turn far too wide, and well out of position to set up for the next.

Despite all that, after following the two superbikes through a couple of more curves, when they swung wide through a long, right-hand sweeper, Walt simply downshifted the old Beemer and zipped past them both in a heartbeat - on the inside. He never changed his position on the seat, or did anything trendy like sticking a knee out. He just leaned over, nailed the throttle, and smoothly and quickly knifed through the turn. I don't think either of the guys he passed even hit the apex of their turns before Walt was out the other end, straightening up and accelerating away.

Sooo, what we're saying here is that its OK to overtake newbies on the inside on a public road, when they clearly don't know what they're doing and might not even know you're there. Doesn't matter if you scare the snot out of them and cause them to lose concentration.

Good lesson. :)

90s
22nd January 2008, 14:25
Sooo, what we're saying here is that its OK to overtake newbies on the inside on a public road, when they clearly don't know what they're doing and might not even know you're there. Doesn't matter if you scare the snot out of them and cause them to lose concentration.

Si tio.

With power and knowledge comes great responsibility ... livened up on the odd occasion by grinding the less-able into the dirt. Can you have total control of the tool and still be one?

McDuck
22nd January 2008, 18:31
Nice artical. It is an atitude thing ultamatly. If you think you are the best you will never lern anything. If you are the best but reilise there are still things you do not know you may see a rider of over all lesser skill doing somthing and then you employ it and do it and become better. That is how the best keep improving not by goign to sombody better altho that can help.

clint640
23rd January 2008, 14:02

Cutting up n00bs is indeed bad form, but if said n00b still hasn't realised you're there & let you past after 1/2 a km they probably need a wake up call anyway

People on big sprotsbikes (ie not a n00b in this country) can often be really good at going faster than anybody else down the straights, then painfully slow through the turns. Going round the outside is way more dangerous if they're all over the road than passing the noddy on the inside.

Clint