PDA

View Full Version : Nolan N101 VPS

Lou Girardin
27th June 2005, 09:05
I've been using the N100E for 3 years now, but there have been some things that annoyed me about it. So when the N101 was released it seemed to have fixes for those problems. I'd put off replacing mine till the Eurobike rep came in with the VPS version. VPS stands for Vision Protection System, a fancy way of saying sunvisor. There's a second, tinted, half visor that pivots independantly of the main one. This appealed to me because I often travel to work into the sunrise and go home in the dark, so this sounded like the answer to the problem.
Plus there have been improvements to the aerodynamics, interior liner and flip mechanism so that it has a higher quality feel.
Riding home on Friday night was great, it was pissing down, but because the visor seal didn't leak I could use the pinlock visor and had a totally fog free ride with the visor closed the whole way.
On sunday we went up to Matakohe, so it was the first test at highway speed.
The N101 is a tad quieter and slightly more stable in clear air, but a lot more stable when in turbulent air behind trucks. The VPS visor took a bit of getting used to, having two levels of brightness in your field of vision, but it's not a big problem. I'd still use a full tinted visor on sunny days though.
The VPS visor does not affect the stability of the helmet when it's raised even at highish speeds.
Anyone considering a flip-front should definitely check these out, retail is $575.00 inc.

Jantar
29th June 2005, 00:52
Sounds like a very good helmet. I have had Nolans for a number of years now and find them comfortable and much quieter than most other brands. My current 7 year old N27 is overdue for replacement, but I can't find any shops in my area that stock them.

AMPS
29th June 2005, 08:37
Sounds like a very good helmet. I have had Nolans for a number of years now and find them comfortable and much quieter than most other brands. My current 7 year old N27 is overdue for replacement, but I can't find any shops in my area that stock them.

Check the Nolan website for models, sizing should be the same as for the N27. Then email me for price and availability in NZ.
We can do mail order if you'd like.
Lou

zeRax
1st July 2005, 21:25
got a couple new n61's here, very quiet i thinks :)

btw who was the eurobike rep :E?

Lou Girardin
4th July 2005, 09:08
got a couple new n61's here, very quiet i thinks :)

btw who was the eurobike rep :E?

Chris, up this way.

zeRax
4th July 2005, 19:26
true :O

shot eurobike, proud to be part of the family :>!

F5 Dave
7th July 2005, 12:51
Yeah those trips approaching sunset spent with your hand resting covering your eyes suck. Some just place some tape to close up the aperture, but I don’t want to do that.

So instead I forget about it until next time & then drastically try to invent a cling film strip I could keep in my pocket with some plastic magnets to hold it in place. Tried to order some plastic & aluminium magnets a while back but they took my money & the website disappeared. :oi-grr:

oldrider
13th July 2005, 16:04
Thanks for your thread Lou I have been looking for info on lids as mine needs replacing. I have used BMW flip top helmets for for the last two times. The first one was replaced after I got upside down on my ST1100. The flip top split open and filled my face full of gravel and nasty shit. I replaced that on insurance but they are so bloody expensive now and I dont think they are worth it. I was looking at the Nolan webb site last night and sort of settled on trying out the N101vps. The BMW lid used to sit too far forward but was useful with sun in your face to hide under the top rim to shade the sun. The nolan sounds just right for that problem. I also want a quieter helmet, sick of wind noise. You sound pretty satisfied with your Nolan, does the visor hold firm in the cracked open positions with strong head winds, (like when its raining sleating hailing etc)
I get really pissed off when you have to slow down just cos those damn things keep slamming down and fogging up usually just when you are doing something a little tricky.
So pleased to find your thread, good timing. Cheers John. :ride:

F5 Dave
14th July 2005, 10:05
Read in a magazine a doctor was slamming flip up helmets for the reason you describe. They don’t always stay put in an accident.

Lou Girardin
14th July 2005, 13:18
Thanks for your thread Lou I have been looking for info on lids as mine needs replacing. I have used BMW flip top helmets for for the last two times. The first one was replaced after I got upside down on my ST1100. The flip top split open and filled my face full of gravel and nasty shit. I replaced that on insurance but they are so bloody expensive now and I dont think they are worth it. I was looking at the Nolan webb site last night and sort of settled on trying out the N101vps. The BMW lid used to sit too far forward but was useful with sun in your face to hide under the top rim to shade the sun. The nolan sounds just right for that problem. I also want a quieter helmet, sick of wind noise. You sound pretty satisfied with your Nolan, does the visor hold firm in the cracked open positions with strong head winds, (like when its raining sleating hailing etc)
I get really pissed off when you have to slow down just cos those damn things keep slamming down and fogging up usually just when you are doing something a little tricky.
So pleased to find your thread, good timing. Cheers John. :ride:

If you use the Pinlock visor it won't fog up, even when stationary in pissing rain with the visor fully closed.
I don't travel much over 50 km/h with the visor open, but it does stay open.
I can't comment on noise compared to a BMW helmet, I hear they're very quiet. I wear earplugs anyway.

Lou Girardin
14th July 2005, 13:22
Read in a magazine a doctor was slamming flip up helmets for the reason you describe. They don’t always stay put in an accident.

As Pixie said in a previous post: If the impact is great enough to rip the metal locking lugs out of the helmet, you're dead or paralysed! Same with a full face.
Cheap flip-ups with plastic lugs may be different, but you get what you pay for.

oldrider
25th July 2005, 21:42
Thread info/feadback.
Thanks to Lou I have purchased a Nolan N101vps helmet and it arrived by courier this morning. Ordered Friday. Bloody good service actually.Ups for AMPS.
I am very impressed with quality, style, fit and finish.
Tomorrow I am busy all day and evening so wont get a chance to road test it
until wednesday. Geeese retirement is a pain in the arse, how did I ever find time to go to work!!! Cheers John.

oldrider
26th July 2005, 18:06
Rode my bike tested the new helmet today. Shit-hot, super quiet minimal turbulence effect, VPS worked well but soon as I hit the cold areas the visor fogged up big time. Now I know that I will insert the antifog shield. Nearly tested the new lid in crash situation. Front wheel almost wiped out on ice at the top of Benmore Dam in the shady place when the visor fogged up. too busy thinking about the new helmet going much faster than I should have been. Luckily or I think I would have hit the deck. Really really pleased with the helmet. With earplugs it should be super quiet. People think the TransAlps are gutless but by geeese this one can still scare the shit out of me when I boot its arse but I spose its just the age thingy.
Verdict. Nolan N 101VPS good helmet. AMPS and Lou Girardin good service.
Cheers John.

Lou Girardin
27th July 2005, 08:27
Thanks John, I'm pleased that you're pleased.
Did you get my PM about the BMW lid?

oldrider
27th July 2005, 21:14
Yes I did thank's Lou but there are further complications. I will give you a ring as soon as I get a chance Cheers John.

Littlewheels
31st May 2008, 22:31
Been following this thread a little while. Lou how much are the Nolan N102VPS NCom helmets?, I am going to have to replace my current one
cheers.