PDA

View Full Version : Roadsafe (Wellington)

Eurygnomes
27th June 2005, 10:23
Hey guys,

Just wanted to advise any newbie/wannabe Wellington riders that the roadsafe course offered by Andrew & Linda Templeton is absolutely brilliant. I went to the learn to ride one too ("gear change? there are gears???") before doing the basic skills handling course, and though the day was long, kinda cold and overcast, I had a great time, so great big ups to Roadsafe. :niceone:

The one thing that DID surprise me though, is the number of people who turned up to basic skills on their own bikes. Now, presumably, we were all there to get our certificate so we could get our learners. Which means...that if they don't have their learners - they're riding illegally. I can totally comprehend the belief that 'I want to use my own bike' and 'It's good to build up skills on my own bike' etc...but breaking the law to do so? I'm not the goody-two-shoes I probably sound like :innocent:, as I do like the odd :spudbooge:, but come on fellas (and chick!), sort it out! :(

My $0.02 worth.
Nomes

Beemer
30th June 2005, 12:12
Andrew and Lynne have been running these courses for years and were a great help when I was learning to ride. Lynne is more patient than Andrew!

I already had my learner's licence when I went on one of their courses and did theirs mainly because the guy who took my initial course didn't impress me very much and I wanted to brush up on my skills before getting my restricted. So I rode there and back on my own bike - quite legally - and you could find some of these others were in similar situations. I doubt the Templetons would condone anyone breaking the law. In some cases they have picked up people's bikes for them and taken them to where the training was taking place. They did that for me once before I had much confidence, and then Andrew rode my bike home with me on the back.

Take advantage of any training you can get from them, they really do a great job - they train the motorcycle posties too - or they used to.

Jonty
30th June 2005, 12:24
I agree I just passed the CBTA full course yesterday and Andrew was great. You do learn a lot and your riding can improve dramatically by fixing a few minor points with your riding. I have to say though, that a whole day on the ZXR trying to do stoppies and riding in circles gives you one hell of a sore ass!!! (and that is not from the pillion practice :nono: )

Course recommended!! :Punk:

MoFunthanmost
30th June 2005, 21:49
Roadsafe ARE awesome - did the learn to ride and handling cert with Andrew, back in March and will (hopefully) be doin my CBTA restricted with them soon.
:)
have recommended them to EVERYONE i know, and now they are too!

But i too was a tad surprised at the number of people that brought their own wheels. from a scooter, to a 600cc sports beastie, over half the people doing the cert rode in without licences, and rode out too.
:eek5:

jimdaworm
2nd July 2005, 19:11
I was on that course and I had a friend drop off his zzr 250 at the bottom of the parking lot rarther than riding it there myself :ride: Although I did ride it up to the top carpark.... :whistle:

nudemetalz
30th July 2005, 14:37
My wife did a course through them and couldn't say enough positive things about them. She said that Andrew is very hard if you make a mistake and has little patience. To this I said back to her, "do you want to survive the streets or not ?" You don't get a second chance in real situations if you don't have the skills. (sort of akin to Basic Training in the Army)

I'm considering doing one of the advanced skills just to brush up on.

Cheers

Drum
4th August 2005, 22:27
Hey, how much are these courses to attend? Do they lend/ rent you a bike if you dont have one?

Str8 Jacket
5th August 2005, 08:21
Hey, how much are these courses to attend? Do they lend/ rent you a bike if you dont have one?

It cost me around $300 for the whole day. That's the learn to ride and basic handling and included the bike hireage for the whole day. Definately a worthwhile day!
Check out the website - www.roadsafe.co.nz (http://www.raodsafe.co.nz)
BTW - Welcome to the nut house! :ride:

Sparky Bills
5th August 2005, 09:34
I went through them.
Was god to have people actually willing to get more bikes out on the road.
Very easy to talk to aswell.

Andrew and I just have some different ideas regarding riding on the road.

Drum
6th August 2005, 21:08
Thanks guys. I'll be heading there next weekend. Another crusty cager finding freedom!

SPORK
10th August 2005, 22:14
It cost me around $300 for the whole day. That's the learn to ride and basic handling and included the bike hireage for the whole day. Definately a worthwhile day!
Check out the website - www.roadsafe.co.nz (http://www.raodsafe.co.nz)
BTW - Welcome to the nut house! :ride:
Hmm... Digging up a thread maybes, but who cares.

I want to get my learners, so where's the best place to get my BHS Cert. so I can go on to do the theory? I don't want to spend $300 to learn how to ride (pretty sure I can do that well enough to pass) and I remember SC telling me about some place in Masterton that does it all (bike hireage included) for about $70.

Any reccomendations/warnings? Keep in mind I'm in the Upper Hutt/Boganville/Wellington area.

Cheers.

Jonty
11th August 2005, 08:13
Spleen, the roadsafe BHC (if you can ride already) is only $160 I think, with bike hire included and is done in Wellington CBD Clifton Carpark. The $300 is if you need to do the "learn to ride" course earlier in the morning (before the BHC). This is not compulsory and is recommended for people who have basically never ridden a bike :Punk:

DemonWolf
11th August 2005, 08:20
hmmm... sounds like a good idea. Must plan a trip down to Welly very soon by the sounds of it.

SPORK
11th August 2005, 08:50
Spleen, the roadsafe BHC (if you can ride already) is only $160 I think, with bike hire included and is done in Wellington CBD Clifton Carpark. The $300 is if you need to do the "learn to ride" course earlier in the morning (before the BHC). This is not compulsory and is recommended for people who have basically never ridden a bike :Punk:
Hmm, that sounds good. But being a PoorArsed kid, I was wondering if there a cheaper option?

Ninja Edit: Or does that $160 include the scratchy test? 'Coz then it would be choice.

Jonty
11th August 2005, 09:11
Hmm, that sounds good. But being a PoorArsed kid, I was wondering if there a cheaper option?

Ninja Edit: Or does that $160 include the scratchy test? 'Coz then it would be choice.

Sorry, you gotta pay extra to scratch - another lot of dollars :no:

Charlie
11th August 2005, 16:02
Yes I did this course too and finished off with doing the handling skills cert. Was great and they are very willing to spend extra time with you to get you to pass.
Laughed though at the number of people who turned up to sit the handling skills cert on a SCOOTER! How is that fair????????? :weird: Its NOTHING like a bike! (sorry scooter riders).

Drum
21st August 2005, 08:44
Completed my learn to ride and basic handling skills yesterday, and what a bloody great day it was! Only dissapointment was having to drive home in my car. Thats the missus' transport from now on! Scratchie this coming week, eyes wide open for a bike, and I'll see you all out there. By the way, had to chuckle at the guy who turned up on his harley and then had to ride a GN125 for the afternoon. Ouch, that hurts the pride eh!

250learna
26th August 2005, 21:37
done CBTA for restricted with Andrew, was impressed by his knowledge, give he does seem to like himself a bit much but he is very qualified so he can justify it :hitcher:
Either way it was a great day, cuple hours in the classroom watching videos and going over basics, then riding for about 6 hours i think. He was most helpful and had us all well prepared for the test at the end of the day.
Took us on a nice road and a carpark for different aspects of the course, i dont have any regreat about taking the course, and would suggest it to others.

If you are interested in doing riding courses you should definitly give roadsafe a buzz

louisb
31st August 2005, 18:06
Hey Hey Hey... I just passed my full licence CBTA test with Roadsafe Wellington. Woohoo. I'm stoked. Full Licence at last!!

office boy
27th March 2006, 17:56
I just completed this course and found it really really useful. I've returned to riding after a 15 year break and this course was hugely helpful. Three hours of classroom work and five hours carpark and open road practice. Very practical. I feel more confident and safer on the road now - the wet commute to work this morning was a good test.

Most fun moment (not at the time though): braking practice and getting the back wheel of the ground...

Totally recommended for newbies and returning riders.

RnB Fan
29th March 2006, 14:10
I too did my Basic Handling Skills and my restricted through Roadsafe. Absolutely brilliant course and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone returning to riding or just starting out. I learnt more in one day than I could have in months on my own.

I was one of the people that turned up on their own bike for my BHS course. Most of the others hired bikes but I'm pleased I used my own bike as it gave me a lot more confidence and a greater understanding of what my machine could and shouldn't do. I didn't feel too bad taking my own bike when the next guy turned up to BHS on a 1440 Harley!!! At least mine was only a 250!