PDA

View Full Version : Could it be?

James Deuce
9th December 2003, 10:26
That little bits of common sense or public opinion or both are filtering in to parliamentarians?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2752908a10,00.html

Of course the rural comunity has a bit of economic clout so maybe that's what is "driving" this apparent back down.

Having been killed (and thankfully resuscitated) by a drunk driver I'm all for zero alcohol tolerance for teenagers, and a lowered overall level. But the rest of the stuff Swain has been pushing.... sheesh you'd think that people didn't enjoy owning a vehicle anymore - or aren't allowed to....

Jim2

MikeL
9th December 2003, 22:22
Originally posted by Jim2
That little bits of common sense or public opinion or both are filtering in to parliamentarians?

Common sense? I doubt it. Like ethical principles, it has been absent from politics for so long that most politicians wouldn't recognize it if they tripped over it (as most do).

Public opinion is a different matter entirely. At some stage in a parliamentary term the time left before the election becomes equal to or less than the average voter's memory. I suspect that his cabinet colleagues may have reminded Mr Swain of that...

Lou Girardin
11th December 2003, 12:22
Not common sense, public pressure! Writing to media, pollies etc. It's less than interesting to most people, but it works. Threaten pollies with what they fear most - lost votes.
lou