PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on gear

sefer
27th June 2005, 11:10
Ok, my last thread asking opinions on stuff... honest :)

I've narrowed down the gear I'm most likely to buy two a few items (assuming nothing better comes along) and am really wanting some opinions on the stuff, a couple of items are well reviewed/tested, items that have been mentioned on KB before, but a couple have not.

So...

Jackets: The Spool 'kit' as advertised by Motomail (Jackets TAG, pants Vigor) ($270 + postage)
Dririder nordic (I'm 80% sure it was a nordic 3, but i'd have to re-check that) ($199, while still on special locally)
OR one of the cheaper leather jackets via Lifestyle imports or trademe ($280)
(I would condsider one of the import jackets, but 6 weeks is a while to wait..)

The thing there being that if I get one of the jackets I'm less likely to have enough cash to get proper pants, if I get the kit they'll be there.

Helmets: HJC CL-14 ($199 + shipping via Motormail ($250 local)
Nitro 311-V ($150 local- Discontinued line?)
Nitro 510-V ($199 local)

I'm unsure of the safety standards given to the Nitro lids since there not the 'standard' ones usually seen. 311-v seems to be a discontinued line as their no longer on their site.

So anyway, at this time those are my best options I think, so who can tell me a little, give me some opinions? Primarly on the Nitro helmets and Spool Jacket, as these are the things I can't find much info on.

Thanks guys, your all a great help :)

Lou Girardin
27th June 2005, 11:55
Ok, my last thread asking opinions on stuff... honest :)

I've narrowed down the gear I'm most likely to buy two a few items (assuming nothing better comes along) and am really wanting some opinions on the stuff, a couple of items are well reviewed/tested, items that have been mentioned on KB before, but a couple have not.

So...

Jackets: The Spool 'kit' as advertised by Motomail (Jackets TAG, pants Vigor) ($270 + postage)
Dririder nordic (I'm 80% sure it was a nordic 3, but i'd have to re-check that) ($199, while still on special locally)
OR one of the cheaper leather jackets via Lifestyle imports or trademe ($280)
(I would condsider one of the import jackets, but 6 weeks is a while to wait..)

The thing there being that if I get one of the jackets I'm less likely to have enough cash to get proper pants, if I get the kit they'll be there.

Helmets: HJC CL-14 ($199 + shipping via Motormail ($250 local)
Nitro 311-V ($150 local- Discontinued line?)
Nitro 510-V ($199 local)

I'm unsure of the safety standards given to the Nitro lids since there not the 'standard' ones usually seen. 311-v seems to be a discontinued line as their no longer on their site.

So anyway, at this time those are my best options I think, so who can tell me a little, give me some opinions? Primarly on the Nitro helmets and Spool Jacket, as these are the things I can't find much info on.

Thanks guys, your all a great help :)

We can do the CL14 at AMPS for $169.00, then you can afford the Dririder jacket. We can't match the $199 on that though.

sefer
27th June 2005, 14:56
Yeah I know about that deal, which is great! but none in my size :(

Lou Girardin
27th June 2005, 15:13

What's your size, I'll try and get one.

sefer
27th June 2005, 17:09
Thanks that'd be great :)

A small in the CL-14. Funny really since I'm a large in the CS-10.

myvice
27th June 2005, 19:41
Whomever you get whatever off, make them thro in a balaclava as well.I use one every day caus the helmet makes a hell of a racket in the washing machine!
And it stops my face being seen through helmet penatrating goggles! :raghead:

sefer
27th June 2005, 20:16
LOL :) I've actually got to get one too, having long hair can be a pain in the arse when your trying to put your lid on, need something to at least attempt to hold it in place for 10 sec.

Bonez
27th June 2005, 20:24
Don't forget a set of para rubber yellows and a stout pair of gummies just in case.....................

madboy
27th June 2005, 20:49
I've got a Nitro 510, but can't say I've tested it. Having been down the road at low speed, I can assure you that my investment in the cheapest proper pants I could find has well and truly paid off. I wouldn't be without them for the world. I commute every day on the bike, and they've lasted me a year and one bin so far... with no end in sight yet. That's a lot of use for bugger all money.

I ride with a cheap Technic jacket, cheap pants (don't even know the brand but $199), Nitro helmet, the cheapest waterproof sports boots I could find ($300) and a couple different pairs of gloves depending on the season/style of riding I'm into that day.

IMHO if you're on a budget buy the cheapest set of everything so at least you've got some coverage over everything. No point in having a flash helmet or jacket if it's your wrist and legs/hips that take the impact.

Lou Girardin
28th June 2005, 08:23
Thanks that'd be great :)

A small in the CL-14. Funny really since I'm a large in the CS-10.

I've just checked and the distributors have a small in stock. I'll order a couple today, they'll be here tomorrow. Come into AMPS and check them out.

sefer
28th June 2005, 15:06
Great thanks a lot. I'm actually in chch, but I'll give sales an email right now and sort it out.

Thanks again, I'm really greatful.

sefer
28th June 2005, 15:26
Email sent :)

Thanks again Lou, this will help my gear buget heaps.

On a second note, do you think the Dririder jacket is likely to be a better buy than the Spool kit? I'm probably still a little short for new pants, but maybe I could pick-up something secondhand if I brough that.
(I'll have to check the model thou, looking at other places prices I am thinking I've got the wrong model. I didn't look while there so am really basing the model on the style/features.

Also, is CE armor (I know it's a safety standard type thing) better than something just advertising itself as double density foam?

Lou Girardin
28th June 2005, 15:41
Email sent :)

Thanks again Lou, this will help my gear buget heaps.

On a second note, do you think the Dririder jacket is likely to be a better buy than the Spool kit? I'm probably still a little short for new pants, but maybe I could pick-up something secondhand if I brough that.
(I'll have to check the model thou, looking at other places prices I am thinking I've got the wrong model. I didn't look while there so am really basing the model on the style/features.

Also, is CE armor (I know it's a safety standard type thing) better than something just advertising itself as double density foam?

Personally I prefer Dririder, but Spool's OK. What size pants do you take? We have 30 and 32 Teknics left over from the sale @ $226.00 inc.

Pwalo
28th June 2005, 15:54
HJC helmets work very well. Crash tested mine when I high sided on the m'way. Helmet was knackered but I've still got a face, and only suffered a mild concussion.

My Orina jacket and overtrousers were written off but the armour did it's job.

I've got a Dri Rider Nordic jacket, and a pair of their winter gloves which I'm very happy with.

IMHO get the best gear that you can afford. Spray it with some Sno Seal or Knik Wax water proofer stuff, keep it clean and you'll be set.

Oh and get a pair of reasonable bike boots as well.

Flyingpony
29th June 2005, 09:18
Which shops are you price checking and finding the best deals in?

I've still to purchase a kit but find everything so expensive and beyond budget, how depressing.

Does anybody know where in Chch they sell second hand, not crashed, quality bike gear?

Lou Girardin
29th June 2005, 12:30
Which shops are you price checking and finding the best deals in?

I've still to purchase a kit but find everything so expensive and beyond budget, how depressing.

Does anybody know where in Chch they sell second hand, not crashed, quality bike gear?

2nd hand textile carries the risk of not knowing if it leaks until it's too late.

Bonez
29th June 2005, 12:42
2nd hand textile carries the risk of not knowing if it leaks until it's too late.Hense my suggestion of a banana suite..........

sefer
29th June 2005, 20:04
Well I found HJC CL-14s today at Eric Woods for $199 while looking at jackets. I had previously not been there since most their stuff is expensive.
Nitros at Street and Sport for $150, or leather direct for $199 (311-v and 510-v)
I've had a look around at second-hand gear at the local pawn shops and cash converters, but haven't found much, and what I have found has been really over priced.

Check out all the stores atm thou, most have specials going.

sefer
30th June 2005, 11:12
Anyone got an opinion on Wintex gear? I was looking at this (rather ugly, but new) set. Does anyone know where I could check sizings out?