PDA

View Full Version : There must be something wrong with me

Mom
17th April 2011, 20:07
I am sitting here tonight, listening to some very squally and blustery weather, thinking how cool it will be to be out there tomorrow, on Millie, on my way to work.

I have a perfectly good car in the gargre, just back from the panel beaters (I got snotted by rocks from a truck the week before I got Millie), with a brand new, almost all over paint job, and I am not remotely tempted to "drive" to work.

:woohoo: Bring on tomorrow!

DMNTD
17th April 2011, 20:09
I disagree madam...I would say that it shows that maybe, just maybe there isn't something wrong with you :blink: :shit:

YellowDog
17th April 2011, 20:12
I must say, I do also look forward to my ride to work.

Edbear
17th April 2011, 20:12
Supposed to be fine tomorrow... :scooter:

Highlander
17th April 2011, 20:13
I understand.
Have not taken the car to work in 5 years.
Several times my wife has listened to the rain in the night and said "you can take a car tomorrow" to which I reply "Why?"

The ride to work is the highlight of my working day.

FJRider
17th April 2011, 20:16

Wear the right gear ... at it usually will be fine ... regardless of the weather ... :yes:

Mom
17th April 2011, 20:19
I understand.

The ride to work is the highlight of my working day.

I love the big grin factor that starts my day :yes: It is a bit of look at me! I cant deny that, look at me, I am riding to work and having a blast :yes:

I really love the end of the day, pootling past the queues of cars. That is when my grin is biggest I thnk :shutup:

Oh, I took advice too, and now meander past cars on the median, you should see that grin :sunny:

AllanB
17th April 2011, 20:23
Cold and peeing down in Christchurch today.

Me - I enjoyed the ride in the XR6 - leather seats, heater, roof. Yep a car day. Plus I had a trailer load of garden stuff to take to the tip.

In my defence I did give the tank, tail and guard on the Hornet a coat of polish and wax and cleared my bench top in anticipation of popping in a set of new fork springs next weekend. :yes:

Grant`
17th April 2011, 20:27
You have to own a car to be able to actually take it in stead of the motorcycle, So even if I didn't want to ride I would have no choice.

Edbear
17th April 2011, 20:56
You have to own a car to be able to actually take it in stead of the motorcycle, So even if I didn't want to ride I would have no choice.

I feel for you mate, that must really suck! :innocent:

Oakie
17th April 2011, 21:15
Yeah. You know you're alive in the wind and rain. Quite often find myself laughing at myself at the silliness of it all on a really bad day ... and love it!

bogan
17th April 2011, 21:26
tomorrow? fuck all this talk has made me tempted to go for one now! If only I had a better headlight :facepalm:

Blackshear
17th April 2011, 21:27
I have a 25km commute to work each day, I wish I could make it longer but at 6am I'm lucky enough to have not fallen asleep again.

Best part is probably the onramp though, pity the tyres are never warm enough for it, nor the surface a comfortable kind of dry. Managed to bang 110 out of it saturday morning though :woohoo:

Grant`
17th April 2011, 21:39
I feel for you mate, that must really suck! :innocent:

Nah its by choice, Don't need to run a car so i don't bother, you soon learn to adapt thats for sure.

Although a van is on the cards at the moment, so I can cart the bike to the track instead of having to ride there and back lol. :facepalm:

Edbear
17th April 2011, 21:42
Nah its by choice, Don't need to run a car so i don't bother, you soon learn to adapt thats for sure.

Although a van is on the cards at the moment, so I can cart the bike to the track instead of having to ride there and back lol. :facepalm:

Hence the Smiley... It was my attempt at wit, but I guess I was only half... nevermind... :bye:

steve_t
17th April 2011, 21:47
Mom, there's nothing wrong with you at all! There's something wrong with me though. I often choose to ride to work even though I have a work vehicle with petrol paid for :blink::shutup:

baptist
17th April 2011, 23:15

:blink:... I prefer the ride home myself...:laugh:

unstuck
18th April 2011, 06:44
My last job was 73kms away,27 on gravel 2-4 am starts 14-16hr days,Had a choice of vehicles to use but just loved the ride,and waking everyone up along the way .And thats in southland where it aint warm.:sunny:

Str8 Jacket
18th April 2011, 07:04

I hear ya.... southerlies, rain and hail on my way in on the piddly lil FXR this morn. Loved every minute of it! :)

Maha
18th April 2011, 07:06

Looked out the window this morning?....:blink:

DMNTD
18th April 2011, 07:17

Yep...cloudless and perfect! :woohoo:
Gotta love a 3 day weekend

Edbear
18th April 2011, 07:58

Yeah, and took a pic of a beautiful rainbow! Oh, by the way, I was very much mistaken... :innocent:

steelphoenix
18th April 2011, 08:45
Best part is probably the onramp though, pity the tyres are never warm enough for it, nor the surface a comfortable kind of dry. Managed to bang 110 out of it saturday morning though :woohoo:
Love that onramp! Especially zooming past the lines of traffic waiting for the ramp signals (though not this morning). If I tried to knee-down ever, it would be there. Need better wet tyres, though...

I hear ya.... southerlies, rain and hail on my way in on the piddly lil FXR this morn. Loved every minute of it! :)
Was absolutely pissing down at 6am when I went in to work... Couldn't agree with you more! :)

martybabe
18th April 2011, 08:57
At one point in my rather nomadic life I lived about 500 metres from the Fire station where I worked. Despite the fact that I could have crawled to work in my PJs, I kitted up and road to work every day, rain or shine. I wasn't gonna let the convenience of living close to work spoil the joy I had riding there! quite often the ride was the highlight of my day.

Strangely the commute home often took an hour or two, bloody traffic :innocent:

KiWiP
18th April 2011, 09:02
The Russians have an apt saying.

"There is no such thing as bad weather there is only bad clothes"

which applies to many activities, skiing, scuba diving (in the UK), being Borat.

I agree, nothing abnormal in the OP, every ride lifts the spirits. If it doesn't get back into the car withe the radio and a coffee. Ppah! no chance

Swoop
18th April 2011, 12:32
It is genuinely perplexing why people park their bike for winter.
Shitty, raining days are some of the best possible. The traffic can be far worse in winter, when the kiwi driver is incapable of coping with a spot of water on the roads or their windscreen.

You get to refine smooth riding skills, arrive at your destination dryer than those who take the car "to stay dry" and then get drenched in the 30second walk to their building.:facepalm::rofl:

Tunahunter
18th April 2011, 13:04
I disagree madam...I would say that it shows that maybe, just maybe there isn't something wrong with you :blink: :shit:

You got that in one buddy

MarkH
18th April 2011, 13:58
perfectly good car

That contradiction in terms is known as an oxymoron!

When it is wet I am glad to not be in a car commuting around Auckland - the traffic f'n sucks when it's wet!
Wet weather = overpants & overgloves + lane-splitting passed all the cars that are barely moving! I find that it is only wet on the other side of my gear - not a big problem.

Maha
18th April 2011, 14:29
Yep...cloudless and perfect! :woohoo:
Gotta love a 3 day weekend

Thursday cant come around fast enough....:scooter:

That contradiction in terms is known as an oxymoron!When it is wet I am glad to not be in a car commuting around Auckland - the traffic f'n sucks when it's wet!
Wet weather = overpants & overgloves + lane-splitting passed all the cars that are barely moving! I find that it is only wet on the other side of my gear - not a big problem.

Ours has just been resprayed at no cost (thanks to a truck and some loose rocks) and looks like it did the day we bought it.
The wind gusts and squally rain here today is an arse, supposed to die away this afternoon, hope so anyway for Annes sake. Rain I can do, wind I can do, but put them both together and its a different story:blink:

Big Dave
18th April 2011, 14:34
>>There must be something wrong with me<<

Taste in men, Sweetie.

Maha
18th April 2011, 14:35
>>There must be something wrong with me<<

Taste in men, Sweetie.

I can hear you ya' know...:yes:
Besides, I taste alright...:love:

Toaster
18th April 2011, 14:41
I am sitting here tonight, listening to some very squally and blustery weather, thinking how cool it will be to be out there tomorrow, on Millie, on my way to work....:woohoo: Bring on tomorrow!

In this wind riding should be a blast!:innocent:

Camshaft
18th April 2011, 16:32
I have a 25km commute to work each day, I wish I could make it longer but at 6am I'm lucky enough to have not fallen asleep again.

love that onramp, got my first tiket there racing a guy on a honda 1000 we were both doin about 120 in the transit and he got us for unsafe passing manouvers or sumthng bullshit.

Mom
18th April 2011, 18:28

It was a bit blustery in parts but no real problems at all. Laughed like a drain on my way to work, the roads were wet and it was raining. There was a big truck coming towards me, totally obliterating everything alongside it with the tyre spray.

Total WHOOSH of white out, accompanied by a mad cackle :killingme

School holidays rock! No traffic!

Owl
18th April 2011, 18:38
I take my bike to work about once a year. It's had its trip this year, on the back of the ute:blink:

baptist
18th April 2011, 18:59

The only thing that got a blast this morning was me, all over the road! and a note to myself, when it looks like rain, put the wet weather gear (I carry) on:facepalm: first cold and wet arrival of the year... such a nana :cold::argh::cry:

skinman
18th April 2011, 19:08
have to say I am glad I have a heavy bike when its blowing, hell of a cross wind around Karaka on the Mway

Fatt Max
18th April 2011, 19:14
Firsttime on the bike this morning for two weeks. Unfortunatley my bosses hired me cars to get around Aussie.

So, needless to say I has fanging to get back in the saddle this morning. yeah it was blowing a gale and raining but it was brilliant. Its the start to my day that I simply cannot do without. I missed riding while I was in Aussie, couldnt wait.

And then, there is the ride home, the only thing that makes my usual day at work worth the bother.

Know how you feel mate.

Diagnosis: Mom, there is feckity feck all wrong with you.

Now, if you were to say you thought pies were a bad choice, welll..........

Toaster
18th April 2011, 19:24
I take my bike to work about once a year. It's had its trip this year, on the back of the ute:blink:

Well I hope you rode the bike while it was on the back of the ute.:blink:

Owl
18th April 2011, 19:36
Well I hope you rode the bike while it was on the back of the ute.:blink:

No, but I drove really really fast so at least the bike looked cool:facepalm:

Old Steve
18th April 2011, 20:11
Even though I've got my full license now I appreciate my limitations and this morning, wet and wild wind, wasn't the right time to test them. So the car was driven to work this morning. But the weather cleared after lunch and it really hurt to have to drive home in such perfect bike riding weather.

Tomorrow is going to be fine, and I'm riding the bike to work come what may. Because after work I'm riding it to the bike shop and leaving it there while I have their demo Kawasaki W800 overnight. So thats an hour or so riding before I take it to the Ulysses meeting, and I'll be up before dawn Wednesday morning taking it up the Kaimais and back before work.

Tomorrow's going to be a fantastic day.

swbarnett
18th April 2011, 21:08
Indeed, no day at work can be totally bad if it starts and ends with a ride!

Mom
18th April 2011, 21:12
I appreciate my limitations and this morning, wet and wild wind, wasn't the right time to test them.

I so hear you! Never go out and about unless you know you can laugh in the face of the elements, but...

Never be afraid to face your demons, because one day you ARE going to get caught out, and be forced to ride the weather you are given.

I am buzzing being able to face what ever the hell Mother Nature chucks at me. Cold is my demon, I need to get on top pf that :yes:

Spearfish
18th April 2011, 21:15
at least 10 characters.

KiWiP
18th April 2011, 21:28
Cold is my demon, I need to get on top pf that :yes:

I refer you to my earlier post. Good clothing = comfy riding

The Swedes have it sussed (ok they are well 'ard b@stards but hypothermia isn't a factor of attitude)

http://youtu.be/3ykPzm_6Kmk

Edbear

The only thing that got a blast this morning was me, all over the road! and a note to myself, when it looks like rain, put the wet weather gear (I carry) on:facepalm: first cold and wet arrival of the year... such a nana :cold::argh::cry:

have to say I am glad I have a heavy bike when its blowing, hell of a cross wind around Karaka on the Mway

I love days with wind gusts of 120-40kph, with those head winds combined with the max speed of the moped can almost get an idea what riding a bike feels like.......
at 160 kph.........:facepalm: ah well, one day.

170km/h out Manukau Heads today...

Mom
I love days with wind gusts of 120-40kph, with those head winds combined with the max speed of the moped can almost get an idea what riding a bike feels like.......
at 160 kph.........:facepalm: ah well, one day.

Ah, head winds :scooter:

It is the sideways ones that I watch for. I was almost disappointed tonight coming home. Even my boss had warned me about the winds, so I was prepared to get a bit of a smacking. Even in the really exposed areas of my trip, it was blustery at worst.

I was practising my grip with the knees, loose on the arms, riding pose all the way home.

Toaster
19th April 2011, 19:43
170km/h out Manukau Heads today...

I prefer 200km/h at Pukekohe....

Stylo
19th April 2011, 19:55
I prefer 200km/h at Pukekohe....

200 k's ?

Too fast for me mate:innocent: