PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed VT 250

BOGAN02
19th April 2011, 22:24
I just got a cheap 87 vt 250 from the bike shop. Its got a knackered engine tho. like as in pistons/conrods/internals shattered. so im wondering if anyone has a engine that they would be keen to part with cheap. Or i was thinking being a yammie fan and all, would it pay off to swap the motor for a xj or xv or something similar. so i would like to know anyones thoughts.

imdying
20th April 2011, 09:08
That all explode, so getting one might be hard.

Not sure how turning it from a crap bike into a crap frankenbike is going to 'pay off'?

bogan
20th April 2011, 09:12
I have one out of an 84 (i think, same as the 86 I swapped it with anyway) that needs new rings if you can be assed doing that?

edit, think the frame is pretty tight around the engine, be a bastard of a jov to swap another one in.

MSTRS
20th April 2011, 09:24
Swapping different years of VT250 engines can be bad enough. various wiring, plugs and electronic components are not always compatible.
I wouldn't care to consider another engine altogether.

BOGAN02
20th April 2011, 23:26
rings would be alot easier than a whole different engine. how much would you want for it? ive been told by every motorbike shop that i should just scrap the engine and part the rest out but thats made me even more determind to get the f%$ker going. haha

bogan
21st April 2011, 10:04
rings would be alot easier than a whole different engine. how much would you want for it? ive been told by every motorbike shop that i should just scrap the engine and part the rest out but thats made me even more determind to get the f%$ker going. haha

Yeh don't think you'd get fuck all when parting out a bike like that.

Hmmmm, $200 for the engine, another hundred if you want a spare frame/wheels etc (missing shock, forks, some plastics, etc).

_STAIN_
21st April 2011, 11:18
carb angle changed as they evolved so airbox will not line up to earlier motor and would need to do hydraulic to cable clutch conversion

bogan
21st April 2011, 11:33
carb angle changed as they evolved so airbox will not line up to earlier motor and would need to do hydraulic to cable clutch conversion

did the heads change? or will swapping the carb boots over sort that? pretty sure I got a spare hydraulic clutch with the engine so as lone as the line length hasn't changed that'll be all good.

BOGAN02
22nd April 2011, 01:09
Hmmmm, $200 for the engine, another hundred if you want a spare frame/wheels etc (missing shock, forks, some plastics, etc).[/QUOTE]

haha i payed $200 for the bike so far. and its got everything there (just the piston, conrods, camshaft are shattered. haha) but yea could be keen ae. might see if i can get a gray import motor on the cheap. saw some pistons from honda japan for roughly $100 nz including shipping.

bogan
24th April 2011, 16:47
haha i payed $200 for the bike so far. and its got everything there (just the piston, conrods, camshaft are shattered. haha) but yea could be keen ae. might see if i can get a gray import motor on the cheap. saw some pistons from honda japan for roughly $100 nz including shipping.

yeh often the cheap bikes urn out not so cheap! the parts are just sitting in my parents shed, so no hurry, but might need a bit of notice o go sort em all out for ya if you are keen.

BOGAN02
24th April 2011, 20:06
yea id be keen in a few weeks gota get some more funds.