PDA

View Full Version : New tyres - personal research

Ricardo S
24th April 2011, 00:58
i need to get some new tyres for my bike so i decided to check it out some of the threads and see if i could find some feedback on whats what.
at first it looked like the avon tyres were a way to go, a bit cheaper than the mainstream brands and good quality but now i'm second guessing after reading this thread on another forum where a lucky guy had a bad experience and more ppl started to tip in...

http://www.twistyroad.com/03-crash/30/20101102309.jpg

http://www.twistyroad.com/03-crash/30/20101103360.jpg

the original thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636925

have anyone here had any experience such as this here?

unstuck
24th April 2011, 05:38
Only ever had pirelli sport demons on my vf or gsx, never had any problems with these tires,although they do wear quickly when doing a lot of gravel. Tires in pics dont look too good,never had anything like that happen.:gob:

DEATH_INC.
24th April 2011, 06:51
Haven't run Avons for a while, but only ever had issues with wear, never a failure.
Didn't read the whole thread, but saw mention of the ultra not being recommended by Avon for the st. We see in cars all the time where idiots run tyres without enough load rating for the application, maybe this is the case here?

YellowDog
24th April 2011, 08:33
That's not something you'd expect to see on a back tyre.

I'd say that photo is likely to be a one off duff tyre and not going to be a common fault.

What would be interesting here would be to see the actual age of the tyre (not when it was sold). Older tyres can disintegrate in this way. You can buy new old tyres really cheaply and the seller doesn't tell you how old the tyre is.

If you look on the tyre wall you will see a stamp with the week and year of manufacture on the side in a WWYY format.

Avons are fine.

Owl
24th April 2011, 09:06
I'd say that photo is likely to be a one off duff tyre and not going to be a common fault.

What would be interesting here would be to see the actual age of the tyre (not when it was sold). Older tyres can disintegrate in this way. You can buy new old tyres really cheaply and the seller doesn't tell you how old the tyre is.

Three failures with one tyre type and one rider though?:shit:

Tyre couldn't have been too old, as they were only released around 08 I believe.

Kickaha
24th April 2011, 09:12

It is very unlikely to be a "one off" duff tyre, due to the way they manufacture them you would normally get batches of them, and even that is very uncommon when you consider how many are made

Without stripping the tyre from the rim and inspecting both inside and outside it's nothing more than guesswork on every bodies part as to why it failed

Latte
24th April 2011, 09:13
I've had an avon (viper sport/supersport from memory) front do the same at a track day on the shoulders, turned out to be ~ 4 years old at time of purchase by previous owner.So just put it down to that.

granstar
24th April 2011, 09:18
:woohoo:Ahhh someone looking in the same direction ... saving me searches.

:whocares:
I know Jack about modern tyres for post 80 bikes.

I have Pirelli Sport demon fitted front and rear to my just purchased XJ750.

Question for anyone with experience with these XJ / Pirelli: Are these good tyres,or is there something better to replace them for good old down the road touring use?

aside ... Avon's used on classic British bikes (pre Hinkley) are great, but really good old Dunlops do the trick as they don't need high speed rating :weird:
Some tyres suit different bikes and situations (obvious) it's just getting the right formula.

BMWST?
24th April 2011, 09:25
pirrelli would one of the best tyres made.period.However wether or not they are the correct tyres for your old xj is another point entirely

Kickaha
24th April 2011, 09:34
I have Pirelli Sport demon fitted front and rear to my just purchased XJ750.

Question for anyone with experience with these XJ / Pirelli: Are these good tyres,or is there something better to replace them for good old down the road touring use?

The Pirelli sport demon are good tyres, Bridgestone BT45 are another good option for those older bikes

granstar
24th April 2011, 09:57
Thanx for replies.
Yep realise Pirellis may not be the ones, sortta why asking.

Bridgestone BT45 are they the ones they call Battle axe?

Kickaha
24th April 2011, 09:59
are they the ones they call Battle axe?

They are part of the Battlax range

Ricardo S
24th April 2011, 10:27
Three failures with one tyre type and one rider though?:shit:

Tyre couldn't have been too old, as they were only released around 08 I believe.

yeah, it is kind of strange isn't? i mean, if you have a bad experience with a tyre you'd probably get a different one next time but then, maybe he had a stash of those... we dont know his circumstances.

Ricardo S
24th April 2011, 10:34
I'm actually looking to get tyres for the DRZ-SM. i got a deal on a rear michellin pilot power but as it is a rather soft compound i'm a bit concerned about the mileage i can get from those. i will be mostly using to commute and weekend rides.

if you guys have any suggestions, fire away ;)

Blackbird
24th April 2011, 10:45
I currently have Avon Storm Ultra 2 sport tourers on my Street Triple after having used their original Storm predecessors on my Blackbird for many years. Have done about 7000 km on them now and they're superb, particularly in the wet. They also roll into a corner rather than tip in, giving them a nice even feel. The only problem ever experienced with Avons was when the Storms were first released. This was a manufacturing imbalance with the front hoop but that was fixed by the manufacturer and I got a free replacement.

I'll be going back to a full sport tyre on the Triple next time. I was extremely impressed with the Avon VP2 on the 'bird but its life was a bit limited because of the weight. It will be a lot better on the Triple.

Ricardo S
24th April 2011, 11:25
I currently have Avon Storm Ultra 2 sport tourers on my Street Triple after having used their original Storm predecessors on my Blackbird for many years. Have done about 7000 km on them now and they're superb, particularly in the wet. They also roll into a corner rather than tip in, giving them a nice even feel. The only problem ever experienced with Avons was when the Storms were first released. This was a manufacturing imbalance with the front hoop but that was fixed by the manufacturer and I got a free replacement.

I'll be going back to a full sport tyre on the Triple next time. I was extremely impressed with the Avon VP2 on the 'bird but its life was a bit limited because of the weight. It will be a lot better on the Triple.

nice review from a real world perspective... it got me thinking about the characteristics of a multi compound tyre x single compound tyre. ie. michelling pilot power x pilot power2ct...

by now i'm thinking that the pilot power is a good quality sports focused tyre and it will wear its centre prematurely if compared with its shoulders on a daily commute role...

Blackbird
24th April 2011, 12:39
nice review from a real world perspective... it got me thinking about the characteristics of a multi compound tyre x single compound tyre. ie. michelling pilot power x pilot power2ct...

by now i'm thinking that the pilot power is a good quality sports focused tyre and it will wear its centre prematurely if compared with its shoulders on a daily commute role...

No worries and thanks for the kind words. There's more crap spoken about tyres than anything else and with most modern brands, it's largely down to personal choice although each tyre type will excel in certain aspects of performance. If you're interested in some general ramblings about the different tyre types I've tried over the years and what the experiences have been: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2010/06/tyre-performance-in-real-world.html. I don't think there's much doubt that all motorcycle road tyres have made significant advances even compared with 3 or 4 years ago.

Ricardo S
24th April 2011, 13:17
info found on the www

AVON ($$)
Storm ST - Sport Touring
Viper - Sport
Viper Extreme - Trackday
Distanzia - Street oriented dual-sport

BRIDGESTONE ($$)
BT021 - Sport Touring
BT016 - Sport
BT002 - Trackday

CONTINENTAL ($$)
Road Attack - Sport Touring
Sport Attack - Sport
Race Attack - Trackday
Contiforce SM - Supermoto

DUNLOP ($$)
D220 Sportmax - Sport-Touring (long lasting)
Roadsmart - Sport Touring
Qualifier - Sport
Sportmax GP, D209 or D208GP - Trackday

METZELER ($$$$)
Z6 Roadtec - Sport Touring
M3 Sportec - Sport
Racetec - Trackday

MICHELIN ($$$)
Pilot Road - Sport Touring
Pilot Road 2 - Sport Touring (Dual compound)
Pilot Power - Sport
Pilot Power 2CT - Sport-Trackday (Dual compound)
Pilot Race - Trackday

PIRELLI ($$$)
Diablo Strada - Sport Touring
Diablo - Sport
Diablo Rosso - Sport (New)
Diablo Corsa III - Sport-Trackday (Dual compound)
SuperCorsa Pro - Trackday
Diablo SuperCorsa - Trackday

DRZ400SM replacement tyres size (generally)

120/60/17 Front
150/60/17 Rear

pritch
24th April 2011, 23:19
info found on the www

BT021 - Sport Touring

Z6 Roadtec - Sport Touring

Pilot Road 2 - Sport Touring (Dual compound)

Diablo Strada - Sport Touring

I believe the BT021 has been superceded by the BT023 which BIKE rate as the new pick of the ST bunch.

The Z8 is the current ST tyre in Metzelers excellent Z series.

There is now a Pilot Road 3, but I don't know if they've got here yet.

The Pirelli Angel ST is more recent than the Strada.

All of these are good tyres.

Tyres lose a significant percentage of their stickiness each year and ideally are supposed to be returned to the manufacturer for checking to see if they are still safe after three or four years. Hardly convenient for us, and not having any plans to go back to Germany or France anytime soon I like to buy the current version. Hopefully that should eliminate the possibility of getting lumbered with something that's been laying around in a warehouse somewhere for years.

Ricardo S
25th April 2011, 11:47
I believe the BT021 has been superceded by the BT023 which BIKE rate as the new pick of the ST bunch.

The Z8 is the current ST tyre in Metzelers excellent Z series.

There is now a Pilot Road 3, but I don't know if they've got here yet.

The Pirelli Angel ST is more recent than the Strada.

All of these are good tyres.

Tyres lose a significant percentage of their stickiness each year and ideally are supposed to be returned to the manufacturer for checking to see if they are still safe after three or four years. Hardly convenient for us, and not having any plans to go back to Germany or France anytime soon I like to buy the current version. Hopefully that should eliminate the possibility of getting lumbered with something that's been laying around in a warehouse somewhere for years.

Good point there

Metastable
26th April 2011, 16:00
I don't know if sizing is an issue for your bike with regards to a lot of these tire choices. All I will say is that for street riding, it is hard to go too far wrong with any modern tire as long as they fit your bike properly. The only thing I would probably NOT do is get a tire that is too soft if you are planning to use your bike as a commuter. Also, if buying new, I would want a tire that has decent groves as opposed to a street legal race tire which just has a few more grooves than a cut slick.

OTher than that - I've always had fun with my street tires and just tried different stuff any time I would get a new set. I've had Avon, Pirelli, Micheline, Dunlop, Bridgestone, etc... it's all good.

To be honest, these days (I only have a track bike right now) if I had a street bike I would be using my trackday take offs and putting them on my street ride.... but you have to be comfortable doing that and understand that track specific tires aren't the best bet for the street, but they can be a very cheap option if bought used. However, they don't get up to temperature and may not be as good in rain or cold weather as a more street oriented tire. However, on the street I'm usually riding at a pace that doesn't tax my tires much.

Hitcher
27th April 2011, 14:50
I am underwhelmed by Bridgestone's sport touring offering. Three bikes I've owned have had the old 020s on them as OEM. 4 out of 10, tops. I am appalled that Bridgestone ran these for as long as they did. My current ride has 021s on it as OEM. 6.5 out of 10. Apparently the 023s are better. They'd have to be, and not before time.

(Hitcher's 10 scale is based on performance in wet and dry conditions and on longevity. I expect a sports touring tyre to ride beyond 11,000km)

I've run Avon Storms on my previous FJR1300 (three sets) and on my Aprilia Shiver (one set). They were fantastic. 8 out of 10. Apparently the new Storm IIs are even better.

Pirellis are usually only discussed as sports tyres and are largely the preserve of squids who buy them because they think they're cool and rarely ride them anywhere they need the performance levels that these tyres may impart. Even squids only need sports touring tyres rather than sports tyres, but they're too manly to admit that.

I've run one set of the Pirelli Angel ST. A nice tyre to ride (8 out of 10) but the rear unexpectedly wore itself out down to the steel, deflating my rider confidence index considerable. 7 out of 10.

Conti Motions? I've had one set. These are the only tyres I've ever replaced before they squared off. Average tyres that are horribly skittish in the wet. 4.5 out of 10.

Conti Road Attack IIs? Way better. I had a set of these on my Shiver prior to its demise and was greatly enjoying them in the dry and in the wet. I don't know how well they would have worn but without knowing that would score them an 8.5 out of 10.

Dunlop Roadsmarts? I replaced a set of Storms when we were in Flagstaff Arizona. The nice man at the shop said that Roadsmarts were a good sports touring tyre. He was right. I never wore these out as I sold the FJR prior. But after about 7,000km I really liked them. 9 out of 10 (provisional). I must ask Gary what distance he got off these before replacing them. On that basis these are currently my choice for replacement on the GSX1250FA when the Battlaxes wear out.

Michelin Pilot Road 2. I ran a set of these only FJR1300. Nice to ride on, for a while, until the front tyre wore out. This is the only time I've ever worn out a front before a rear. It ended up with a profile that looked like a cross-section of a wiper blade. The rear was still in reasonable order after 12,500km. Hard to score but on balance I'd go for 7.5 out of 10.

The only other tyres I've run are Metzeler Z6s (not the Interacts which have replaced these). I ran two sets off on my ZRX1200R and just loved them on that bike. I also ran a set on my ST1300 where they went OK. Across two bikes I'd score them as a 7.5 out of 10.

grbaker
28th April 2011, 14:49
++1 for the Conti Road Attach II's. Have a new rear on my guzzi & it wizzes all over the Metzler Z6 it had prior (just steers sooo much better & feels really good).

I also plan to replace the Perreli Demons on my Suzuki with Conti RA-IIs once I get some more wear out of the Demons.

Big note though - these tyres are meant for heavy Sport Tourers.. If you are looking for typre for your DRZ400 then you may want to consider something more affordable... I don't think a 400cc needs or would require such a tire.

Hitcher
28th April 2011, 15:18
Big note though - these tyres are meant for heavy Sport Tourers.

Not true. I've run Storms and Road Attack IIs on an Aprilia Shiver and they both acquitted themselves excellently. There is a heavier type of sports touring tyre built for things like Goldwings but these are rarely discussed on this site.

There are many myths about motorcycle tyres. Sports vs sport touring is one such.

Most riders don't need sports tyres for the type of riding they do most of. Indeed unless you're a bit of a track junkie, you don't need sports tyres on your ride.

Most sport touring tyres warm up quick, stay warm, grip brilliantly in dry, wet and moist conditions, not to mention allow straight and true braking. For an average or even better-than-average rider they'll let you do everything you want to do on the street and road. More importantly, they'll provide several thousand more km of wear than will a straight sports tyre.

If you want to pay for an ego, go for it. Some people probably get wood reading Pirelli and Michelin sports tyre ads. If you're interested in performance and value-for-money, then sport touring tyres are where your mind should wander.

grbaker
28th April 2011, 16:30
I didn't say you couldn't but why would you.

A DRZ400 isn't the heaviest bike out there (damn light really) and I would have thought there is tyre better suited to such a ride (light weight bike on the road). So why look at a ZX class radial tyre if you don't really need one.?

Yer commend re sports tyres a bang on though... many a moons ago I stuck sports tyres on me 250... stuck like glue but it did make any difference to how well I rode or how I rode... it wore out really fast and needed replacing real fast too.

Stylo
28th April 2011, 19:09
Not true. I've run Storms and Road Attack IIs on an Aprilia Shiver and they both acquitted themselves excellently. There is a heavier type of sports touring tyre built for things like Goldwings but these are rarely discussed on this site.

There are many myths about motorcycle tyres. Sports vs sport touring is one such.

Most riders don't need sports tyres for the type of riding they do most of. Indeed unless you're a bit of a track junkie, you don't need sports tyres on your ride.

Most sport touring tyres warm up quick, stay warm, grip brilliantly in dry, wet and moist conditions, not to mention allow straight and true braking. For an average or even better-than-average rider they'll let you do everything you want to do on the street and road. More importantly, they'll provide several thousand more km of wear than will a straight sports tyre.

If you want to pay for an ego, go for it. Some people probably get wood reading Pirelli and Michelin sports tyre ads. If you're interested in performance and value-for-money, then sport touring tyres are where your mind should wander.

Can't say I've read any reviews on the new Metzeler Z8 Roadtech tyre's but I put a set on the 'Busa back in October ( Am I the Guinea Pig ? ) . Done about 6500kms so far including a 'heavy' ( and fast 250 + ) trip for 2300kms in a week, 2 up and loaded and and 10 points, thus far. Be nice to hear any feedback ...my first set of Metzelers , ex Michelin Man .....:yes:

banditrider
28th April 2011, 19:56
I haven't tried Storms on the Connie yet (or on anything else) but I believe that Meanie did and had some sort of issue with one of the tyres and was consequently less than impressed.

The standard Bridgestones that came on the Connie were hopeless. Front only lasted 6,000km while the rear made 9. Pirelli Stradas were a good tyre - I've had 2 sets that went around 11k.

I tried a set of Angels and they felt great on the bike for about the first 2-3k. They then went South very quickly (bike squirming on the road) and were toast not long after 6k.

Michelin PR2's set the standard for me: 2 sets have gone 12k and the current set are on 10. Probably will still go for PR2's for the next set and then see what sort of mileages other Connie pilots are getting on PR3's before I try them.

LBD
28th April 2011, 20:34
Going the speed limit NB on NM Hwy 285 between Roswell and Vaughn (mm 163.7)

Its the aliens wot did it....

Me? I love the bridgestone BT016 tires... improved the Monsters handling... although 5000km of hard riding was the limit with the shoulders totally gone.