PDA

View Full Version : help a bike noobie

mops
9th December 2003, 22:36
Hello everyone.

Now, i do not own a bike, but always wanted to. I would like to get my first bike, do the license, etc, etc. I have few questions. I would like to start with a standard road bike (excuse me if i get the technial terms wrong, i do know stuff about cars and computers but not bikes yet :) ).

What would be a good bike to start ??? I only drove few 50cc schooters before. i dont want it flash neither i need it any fast, but I want it cheap to run and easy to maintain, cheap to insure (3rd party only), etc. probably once i got my full license for a bike i'll sell that and get something else. please recommend make an model.

Now, would a budget of $1000-$2000 be siutable for a start ??? that must include the bike itself and any accesories i'll need (eg. helmet). while i'm at it, what accesories will I need for standard road use ??? if 2k is not enought, how much would i need ???

whats the typical fuel consumption of a typical =<250cc bike ???

what kind of insurance premium am i likely to pay ??? 3rd paty only, i'm 22 years old, male, clean drivers license for last about 5 to 6 years, for last two years driving turbocharged subaru ???

thansk heaps in advance.

marty
10th December 2003, 03:16
have a look at this thread - stay away from these if u are a genuine noobie

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1339

marty
10th December 2003, 03:18
then have a read of this one for the low down on good noobie bikes - can't really go past a GN250 or vt250 i reckon

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1123

riffer
10th December 2003, 06:59
Here's one on trademe for 2K.

I reckon probably $3500 all up if you add decent riding gear to the price of the bike.

One of these will cost bugger all to insure. Ask jrandom about them:

&nbsp;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/mcat-0001%2D0026%2D1255%2D/0001-0026-1255-1285-/auction-7563035.htm

Sharkey
10th December 2003, 07:33
Welcome to motorcycling. Your preference for a good reliable bike, not too fast, cheap.... Admirable. But give it, say three weeks, and you'll be hankering for that 19000 rpm redline.

In terms of gear, don't sell yourself short. You DEFINATELY need a new helmet. Never buy a second hand helmet. Never. Ever. You can pick entry level skid lids for about $250.

As well as that you will NEED good gloves and a proper motorcycling jacket. Leather is probably better, but synthetic is usually cheaper. Maybe $350 for a new cheap jacket and gloves. If you value your legs you will also need trousers and boots. Lots of people don't get these, myself included, but after having a crash and narrowly missing massive grazing, I won't be riding without them again. Jeans are hopeless. Often you can get awesome deals in the T&E for clothing. Just be patient.

jrandom
10th December 2003, 08:39
Originally posted by celticno6
Here's one on trademe for 2K.

That's a good deal, assuming the bike has no hidden greeblies (it shouldn't). TPF&T for you on an FXR (based on what I pay) should be about $150 PA, not too bad eh?

Don't listen to these guys sitting on your shoulder tempting you with a 19K redline. Yes, you will *want* it, but one of the sporty 4-cyl 250 Jap imports will have quite a few years and kays on it when you get it and you don't sound like you're the type to have several hundred dollars sitting around at short notice for new expensive gubbins and bits when it suddenly Fails to Proceed. Better to have a bike that works as a transport appliance when needed in your situation. For comparison, an FXR makes maybe 22bhp at the wheel, a Kwak ZXR250 puts out 37 or so (based on a dyno chart I saw hanging off one at Red Baron). The ZXR will get to 190kph, the FXR won't do more than 130 normally but will hit 150 if you wind it on over a flat bit of motorway.

If you *do* get an FXR make sure you get it rejetted as per the recommendations of the guys at the Colemans Suzuki workshop (unless it's already been done). And I would *STRONGLY* recommend an investment of $260 on a pair of Pirelli MT75s (call Leading Edge). They'll probably save you a spill or two in the wet over the stock tyres.

FXRs get about 25-30 kms per litre.

can't think of much else...

[EDIT: oh yeah, buy a NEW HJC, they're the best 'budget' helmet brand, don't even think about a secondhand brain bucket, get a secondhand leather jacket, pants and gloves from wherever, if you don't want to buy flash waterproof riding boots at least do yourself a favour and ride in something sturdy with some ankle protection, and knock yerself out mate! :niceone:]

Jackrat
10th December 2003, 09:50
Mate,Welcome aboard,I am as usual going to disagee with a little the other guys say.The agree part first but,buy a good helmet,NOT SECOND HAND.
Now the disagree part,,Buy a cheap bike,remember you ARE going to drop this thing,You can get something like an AX100 Suzuki cheap as,I don,t recommend going any bigger than 100-125cc and the list is endless,buy a two stroke for eazy DIY maintainance.If this is your very first bike ever be prepared to come off a few times so keep in mind what can break.Don,t buy anything with a fairing.You will find a bike for under a grand if you don,t go after some squidy bloody race rep, type bike.Keep in mind this is for learning,showing off comes later.
When you are ready you could get a good price for that Subaroo,
an buy a real nice bike.Get into the real deal.May the force be with you.
Cheers.

James Deuce
10th December 2003, 10:08
What they all said, including the contradictory bits.

Try to find a bike that fits you reasonably well so that you aren't uncomfortable when riding for more than an hour. Make sure that you can easily see the instruments at a glance and more than your elbows in the mirrors.

Most of all treat the experience like an adventure and HAVE FUN!

jrandom
10th December 2003, 11:00
Originally posted by Jim2
Try to find a bike that fits you reasonably well so that you aren't uncomfortable when riding for more than an hour.

Difficult to figure out when getting a first bike but yeah, after 150kms or so on the FXR I need to get off and sit on my hands for ten minutes before I can feel my fingers again. Bzzzzzzzzzzz... probably not likely to avoid this in a cheapie small commuter unfortunately.

riffer
10th December 2003, 12:13
Jeez, jrandom, I'd love to just have sore hands after a ride.

Try 50kms on my fizzer. It's gotta have the most painful seat I've ever experienced.

I swear its trying to push me apart about the bit where my legs meet my hips.

You get off that thing walking like John Wayne :eek:

But a small price to pay for what it feels like when you pull back the throttle in 3rd gear...

jrandom
10th December 2003, 12:18
I swear its trying to push me apart about the bit where my legs meet my hips.

Hmmm, I keep hearing that... :eek:

Big Dog
10th December 2003, 16:24
Welcome Mops,
their not wrong,
You will fall off (this is not a bad thing the earlier the better.)
Buy brand new helmets they start from $199 if you shop around.
Buy what you want and can afford not what others tell you.

If you can't afford lessons get a good book (try the library). Mates can teach you how to use the clutch etc but you will need professional advice on technique, we all have our bad habits even if we don't know what they are. You don't need to die for someone elses bad habits.

Take someone who knows about bikes with you to buy it. Avoid drum brakes at the front and buy a good lock.

Most of all have fun.

IMHO your first spill will decide if your a biker or "I once owned a ...". If your well and truly bit you will be back on quicker than a heroin addict after an overdose.

Sharkey
11th December 2003, 07:06
Now don't get me wrong. I am all for buying something cheap and nasty to start with because falling off is a given. All I was saying was that after three weeks you'll be hankering....

I was lucky enough to get a cheap as chips, beat up old zxr250 that didn't notice a few extra scratches.

Happy hunting.

matthewt
11th December 2003, 09:59
Try 50kms on my fizzer. It's gotta have the most painful seat I've ever experienced.

Nah, try the MV with a swollen testicle !!&nbsp; Then you will know what a painful ride feels like.

&nbsp;

riffer
11th December 2003, 10:13
Guess I don't really want to know how you got a swollen testicle but I guess, if you've got a few kids like I do, it's probably for the same reason - snip!:gob:

matthewt
11th December 2003, 10:35
Guess I don't really want to know how you got a swollen testicle but I guess, if you've got a few kids like I do, it's probably for the same reason - snip!:gob:

Yup, 4 kids so did the snip thing.&nbsp; No pain util a slight infection and then one testicle balloned.&nbsp; I was testing the waters (so to speak) on Monday night so I rode to the local video store.&nbsp;OUCH!!!!!&nbsp; On Sunday I have to ride from Picton to ChCh and was getting seriously worried about whether I'd be able to do it or not.&nbsp; Am now on some good anitbotics so feel much better.&nbsp; Should be OK for Sunday but if not I might post a message and see if anyone from Wgtn feels like playing delivery boy (or girl) for me :D

LB
11th December 2003, 17:54
Hi Matt. So that's why you couldn't make lunch last week.....

Hamish would see his way clear to do the delivery job on Sunday if you like. Let us know......

matthewt
11th December 2003, 20:50
Originally posted by Lynda Blair
Hamish would see his way clear to do the delivery job on Sunday if you like. Let us know......

Yer but would I get the bike back ???&nbsp; or would the trip meter just read 2,500k from Picton to ChCh ;)

LB
12th December 2003, 04:33
After a quick look at the map, Hamish tells me it's 3,895km Picton-Chch.

Did you hear about Stephen's "four passes in one day" trip?
I've started a new thread.

bikerboy
12th December 2003, 08:31
I'm the first to admit I'm not the fastest off the mark but I can't make the link between advice for a begining biker and swollens testicles?

Is it me or are we way :Offtopic: ,,

:p

bikerboy
12th December 2003, 08:34
I'm the first to admit I'm not the fastest off the mark but I can't make the link between advice for a begining biker and swollen testicles?

Is it me or are we way :Offtopic: ,

:p

matthewt
12th December 2003, 08:38
It branched off when celtic thought he had an uncomfortable seat on the fzr.

riffer
12th December 2003, 10:29
Hey, not fair. :(

I now realise that bike comfort is definitely something to consider when you are looking for a bike.

If I had have even thought about the comfort level I would have ridden the bike for a bit longer.

Instead, all I really considered when I took it out for a test ride was how far I could hang my ass of the side before I chickened out ;) and what it went like on full throttle.

In reality though, I have to sit on the bugger for 80-odd kms a day sitting straight up 95% of the time commuting doing 90-110kms an hour.

But how many of us consider things like how we actually ARE going to use the bike when we buy it, compared to a) how it looks, b) how it makes us feel on it and c) how fast it can go.

Am I forgiven now? :rolleyes:

matthewt
12th December 2003, 10:36
But how many of us consider things like how we actually ARE going to use the bike when we buy it, compared to a) how it looks, b) how it makes us feel on it and c) how fast it can go.

OK, you got me there.&nbsp; The first time I rode any MV was when I picked mine up :)

MikeL
12th December 2003, 10:45
Good point, Celtic. Comfort is something that usually comes a lot lower on the priority list than other factors, particularly performance and price. Moreover on a short test ride you can't really guage what it will be like after several hours.
After about 3 or 4 hours on my Honda I start to become aware of back, bum and wrist fatigue, whereas on the Suzuki (tourer, upright position, higher bars) I can ride all day without any discomfort. The design parameters of a sports bike mean that comfort is always something of a compromise, whereas a cruiser and also a tourer put comfort ahead of absolute performance. If you do commuting, long-distance touring as well as track days it would I think be impossible to find a bike that is equally competent at all 3 tasks. So clearly you need more than 1 bike...
:2thumbsup

matthewt
12th December 2003, 10:46
Hey, not fair. :(

I probably should of clarified my other comment, it was me that branched it off and not celtic.&nbsp; I was trying to point out a comfy seat can be very relative.&nbsp; Combined with low bars the MV/916 riding position has been known to make grown men cry.

SILVER SUZI
12th December 2003, 14:39
Uncomfortable on a bike? Doesn't adrenalin dull the pain? The only thing I find uncomfortable on my bike (1989 GSX750) is when it's pissing with rain cause Iaint got the nads to push it as hard.
And seen as we're :Offtopic: I am a member of the snip club too. With much the same side affects!:argh:

Back to the original topic all the previous advise is well worth heeding. A new lid, along with being the olny safe option also gives you the best visability (new visor) which is important, especially for a newby.
My first bike was a nice looking dog! As I biught on looks not advice (I had none). But it was good having a dog to learn on. Learning on a rocket before you can handle it can be fatal.
Once you find a slower bike boring motivation to get a better one will help you find the reddys!

Hope to see you on the road!

James Deuce
12th December 2003, 17:23
Uncomfortable on a bike? Doesn't adrenalin dull the pain? The only thing I find uncomfortable on my bike (1989 GSX750) is when it's pissing with rain cause Iaint got the nads to push it as hard.
And seen as we're :Offtopic: I am a member of the snip club too. With much the same side affects!:argh:

Back to the original topic all the previous advise is well worth heeding. A new lid, along with being the olny safe option also gives you the best visability (new visor) which is important, especially for a newby.
My first bike was a nice looking dog! As I biught on looks not advice (I had none). But it was good having a dog to learn on. Learning on a rocket before you can handle it can be fatal.
Once you find a slower bike boring motivation to get a better one will help you find the reddys!

Hope to see you on the road!

OK!! That's IT!!

3 blokes in here who've had the snip have had issues with infection and swelling <shudder>

It's taken us 9 years due to many issues to have 2 kids and I was actively considering the snip.
NOT ANYF___KING MORE MATEY!

(Crawls off to bed with icepack firmly in place in groinal region - just in case)

Jim2

LB
12th December 2003, 18:58
And still off topic, I had lunch with another KiwiBiker today (who shall remain nameless unless he choses to name himself) who had REAL trouble after the snip - infection kept recurring for literally months and months.

I also didn't ride my Monster until I picked it up, and I hadn't even seen one as there were (and I believe still aren't) no other 800 Monsters in NZ. However I knew they looked similar to the M620 and the M1000DS.

riffer
12th December 2003, 20:00
Okay, sorry to continue to be off topic, but add my name to the list of those with post-vasectomy complications that continue.

I had a vasectomy May 2001, six weeks before my 1st wife announced she was leaving me - but that's another story, and one that still rankles my 2nd wife.

Operation performed by Margaret Sparrow. All seemed okay at first but after about three days swelling and bruising occurred.

Seems to settle down but then reoccurs every couple of months or so - seems almost like the tubes get blocked up (bloody sore) and then goes away after about three days of pain (like being kicked in the nuts).

Anyway, turns out my dad had same problems - had to find out from my mother as my dad never even mentioned he had had one (typical dads!).

Not sure if I can recommend them to anyone but I guess its better than condoms for the rest of my life.

Okay I'll shut up now... :disapint:

Big Dog
14th December 2003, 16:04
Well no comment on the snip haven't been there. My first road bike was bought without a testride coz I was not allowed a test ride without a license. But comfort was taken into consideration ie it was the biggest 250 avail at the time. Second road bike involved a hour long test ride. Third bike involved doing three laps of my intended commute and a couple of lengths of the north western.

Motu
14th December 2003, 21:24
Well,the snip was not a sucess - oh,they say they'll do it again for no charge,so I can't complain about that eh?

Every bike I buy either doesn't go or has so many things wrong with it that a test ride only confirms it's a piece of shit.Fixing a bike is no challenge to me - getting enough cash to afford a perfect bike is.

k14
15th December 2003, 06:56
I think there are too many guys here that get the short end of the stick. Being 20 i dont think it will be happening to me any time soon, but come on guys. Why don't you get the misses to get their pipes blocked!!! Or am i missing something??

Sharkey
15th December 2003, 07:45
I guess its cheaper and "easier" for the guy to get it done.

I understand that it is reversible, however why you would be mad enough to want to go through that twice is beyond me....

jrandom
15th December 2003, 08:12
I think there are too many guys here that get the short end of the stick. Being 20 i dont think it will be happening to me any time soon, but come on guys. Why don't you get the misses to get their pipes blocked!!! Or am i missing something??

Tubal ligation costs several thousand dollars. Vascectomy costs about $300. And after however-many years of the missus having to remember to take a pill every day and flood her system with synthetic hormones some of us might just reckon it's our turn to look after the issue...

marty
15th December 2003, 08:21
getting the snip is not all bad. i had mine done about 8 years ago - no complications, and apart from a bit of bruising and post 'kicked in the nuts' feeling didn't give me any grief. still - i didn't ride a go fast screamer back then. made the missus happy, and i wouldn't advocate having tubes tied - there is a higher failure and complication rate with that that with any other form of contraception.

anyway mops - has this helped you choose a new bike? i'd still advocate an RS/RGV/TZR/CBR, but if you're going to have the snip, then maybe a GN or GS.......

k14
15th December 2003, 08:51
Well, hopefully by the time i get to that age they would have invented some other way of doing it. Cause i am not going to let a doctor play around in that area :whistle:

matthewt
15th December 2003, 10:13
K14: I guess the main reason we get the snip is that after our wives going through all sorts of stuff having children it isn't that hard given it's a 30 minute procedure and "generally" things go OK.

Having said that my infectecion spread on Friday/Saturday so I'm now on stronger drugs. Took some painkillers and rode the MV from Picton to ChCh on Sunday and had a ball. Great ride down with sod all traffic and I only saw one cop.

MikeL
15th December 2003, 10:37
... had a ball?

!!

:D

mops
15th December 2003, 13:26
thanks guys for constuctive replies.

as for the snip - definitely no, at least at this time.
ok, so i got the info so far :
i need a helmet, jacket, gloves and preferably boots.

as for the choice of bike.... hm.... i'm still confused.

basically i want to bike that i'll learn on, and for riding only in sunny days. i want it cheap and nasty, so i wont be too worried with if it i drop it on the ground or something (you call that spill ???). and definitey yes, something easy to maintain DIY styles :). Ok, i'm thinking hrere of something sub $1k, old and lotsa of kays, bad paint, scratches, but warrantable, etc.

as for books about the techniques of driving a bike/maintenance, what would you recomend ???

as well i do not know anyone who owns/knows stuff about bikes, so i'll need some tips and stuff on what to look for when byuing a bike :)

thanks in advance :)

Hitcher
15th December 2003, 13:37
Hello everyone.

Now, i do not own a bike, but always wanted to. I would like to get my first bike, do the license, etc, etc. I have few questions. I would like to start with a standard road bike (excuse me if i get the technial terms wrong, i do know stuff about cars and computers but not bikes yet :) ).

What would be a good bike to start ??? I only drove few 50cc schooters before. i dont want it flash neither i need it any fast, but I want it cheap to run and easy to maintain, cheap to insure (3rd party only), etc. probably once i got my full license for a bike i'll sell that and get something else. please recommend make an model.

Now, would a budget of $1000-$2000 be siutable for a start ??? that must include the bike itself and any accesories i'll need (eg. helmet). while i'm at it, what accesories will I need for standard road use ??? if 2k is not enought, how much would i need ???

whats the typical fuel consumption of a typical =<250cc bike ???

what kind of insurance premium am i likely to pay ??? 3rd paty only, i'm 22 years old, male, clean drivers license for last about 5 to 6 years, for last two years driving turbocharged subaru ???

thansk heaps in advance.
Have I got a deal for you! I have a Yamaha FZX250 Zeal for sale. In red, 22,000km on the clock, heaps of wear left in its Dunlop Arrowmaxes, a Givi mini screen...
But don't take my word for the capabilities and outright fun of riding a Zeal -- Google it and read the reviews! Lowish seat height if you are vertically challenged or a person who likes to get both feet very down. Great brakes, brilliant exhaust note (for a 250).
If you're in Wellington we could talk turkey (gobble gobble) and once you have your L plate you could take it for a blat.
:2thumbsup

Hitcher
15th December 2003, 13:44
Motorcycling is expensive and, when it comes to bikes, you get what you pay for. Also as a learner you're going to be spending at least four months riding your first bike (fast-track competency-based option for the over 25s) so it's best to get something that goes well and feels good.
If you've going to scrimp on your bike, at least invest in good gear that fits well and is functional. Good gear will set you back over $1,000 -- unless you're never going to go far or ride in the rain (good practice if you aspire to ride a Harley...)
:buggerd:

wkid_one
15th December 2003, 14:18
Motorcycling is expensive and, when it comes to bikes, you get what you pay for. Also as a learner you're going to be spending at least four months riding your first bike (fast-track competency-based option for the over 25s) so it's best to get something that goes well and feels good.
If you've going to scrimp on your bike, at least invest in good gear that fits well and is functional. Good gear will set you back over $1,000 -- unless you're never going to go far or ride in the rain (good practice if you aspire to ride a Harley...)
:buggerd:

I agree. Most new bikers spend all their money on their bike and forget about the gear side of things. As JR said - you are more than likely to fall off - provided you have the right gear on - you are likely to come away with this unscathed.

Be choosy about your bike - the 250cc bike range is over-inflated in price as there is a specific demand for these bikes due to the licensing laws. Also - given the nature of learner bikes - you can buy a whole heap of trouble if the owner hasn't been overly caring about the bike.

Check things like the front fork staunchions near the pinch bolts as these are extremely expensive to replace and will therefore show any major damage from a big off (generally scraps/gouges).

Also - remember, if you are serious about biking - this is only a stepping stone. You are likely to get bored on this bike quickly if you take to riding - so choose wisely. There is nothing worse than buying something you get sick off quickly.

Most of all - have fun.

marty
15th December 2003, 14:30
1985 HONDA CB250RS

Capacity 250cc
Type Road
Location WBOP New Zealand
Price NZ$1,395
Colour Red

Description good 1st bike

Publication BikePoint Forever, Page: 0, NCWM11023-310-007703
.................................................. .....................................

this for sale in matamata. can you really go wrong?

marty
15th December 2003, 14:31
oops here's the picture:

marty
15th December 2003, 14:33
or this in new plymouth for offers on $1800?

jrandom
15th December 2003, 15:43
mops, a CB250RS would be perfect for you by the sounds of it. Them's good bikes, they is.

Post where you are geographically, someone might be able to help out with your search for a bike, learning to ride, finding some gear etc.

mops
16th December 2003, 07:52
damn.

teach that CB250RS looks nice. so is the other bike. exacly what i'm looking for. and even around my price range !!!

i'm in auckland....

another question.

you know... generally cars do abour 200-300 thousand k's without engine rebuild, etc, when driven normally. how about bikes ???

jrandom
16th December 2003, 08:44
generally cars do abour 200-300 thousand k's without engine rebuild, etc, when driven normally. how about bikes ???

oooh errr (sucks teeth) well that depends, dunnit, on all sortsa stuff. How hard-tuned the engine is, whether it's kept running on nice fresh high-quality oil and clean filters, stuff like that. Also depends what you define as a rebuild I suppose.

Some random data - a colleague had a GSX1100 that started smoking and rattling around 130 thousand kays at which point he flicked it - his description of it was "pretty much f*cked". He didn't pay much attention to looking after it during that time though IIRC.

Then again I wouldn't really know would I? Wait for one of the Venerable Aged Bikers to weigh in on this one.

Jackrat
16th December 2003, 08:51
damn.

teach that CB250RS looks nice. so is the other bike. exacly what i'm looking for. and even around my price range !!!

i'm in auckland....

another question.

you know... generally cars do abour 200-300 thousand k's without engine rebuild, etc, when driven normally. how about bikes ???

Bikes,If your talking four stroke Should go 50,000 or so before they start needing work,Cam chains would probably be the most common thing to replace first.It very much depends on the Bike,up keep of maintiance ect.
I had a Suzuki 850G with 150,000 and never been touched,A Harley FLT with 280,000 up,one full rebuild.Bike engines are high performance compared to cars and reqiure owner in put or at lest shop servicing if you want to get the best out of them.There really ain,t any such thing as the average bike or bike owner.Your bike will only return what you put into it.Iv,e come across bikes with super high mileage and also with very low,always due to owner input.
What ever you end up buying,I sujest you get a work shop manual for it,you may not be going to do major work but you can save your self lots of money by just keeping things adjusted right or knowing what to look out for,a manual could be your best friend.I constantly run into guys that can,t even adjust their chains properly,or don,t know things like plug gaps for their big doller bikes.Bike shops love these guys.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

merv
16th December 2003, 10:47
.... and the main thing is don't skimp on doing oil and filter changes and use high quality motorcycle oil.

SILVER SUZI
16th December 2003, 11:43
.... and the main thing is don't skimp on doing oil and filter changes and use high quality motorcycle oil.
My Suzuki had done 46 000k's when bought, did oil and filter at about 50. Bought genuine filter from Colemans (cheaper than after market!), and the guy there told me that I would probably be better off with a good quality mineral oil than synthetic in a bike of that age due to the synthetic being a little more viscious when hot. Anyone got any comments? :stoogie:

merv
16th December 2003, 12:47
The type of oil has been discussed on this forum a bit in the past. What to use is somewhat dependent on the type of motor and how worn it is. If you've got a bike that's reasonably large like Silver Suzi's 750 then 50,000kms is not that great, but if you have a 125 that's revved its guts out then 50,000kms is probably about worn right out. From new it is probably smart to use high quality synthetic or semi-synthetic oil making sure you run the motor in properly and then it should wear very slowly. One school of thought is to run it in on mineral oil for a few thousand kms and then switch. However I gather the issue is if you try to use synthetic in a worn motor or one that has run a long time on mineral oil then you can end up with an oil burning engine.

This is similar to older engines that were designed to run on the older oils. I guess as oils have improved the manufacturers have probably improved their engines with better pistons, rings and bores and tighter clearances and some of the older engines just won't suit the modern low friction oils. Its not much point paying $80 for 4 litres of synthetic if the engine is going to produce smoke from it, you may as well buy the $25 4 litre pack.

Motorcycle oils are said to be designed for wet clutches too so best stick with them and not car oil.

I have gone halfway house with my bikes and use Castrol GPS which is semi-synthetic costing about $40 -$50 for 4 litres. My bikes have not worn enough to ever need topping up between oil changes.

I presume the bike manufacturers know best for their product so at least always stick to their suggested viscosity ratings.

wkid_one
16th December 2003, 14:33
Mangell just cracked his Fazer over 50,000 and it is still running well.

Gotta agree with Merv - oil maintenance is crucial - especially when buying a 250 which usually revs like a sewing machine - all those rapidly moving parts and shitty oil make for costly repairs.

Also - make sure you choose a bike that parts are easy to get a hold of.......

Big Dog
16th December 2003, 16:31
I did 120,000 kms on my Gpx 250 1989. however I change the oil every 6,000 kms checked my chain every 6-900km (lubed and adjusted) and had it serviced by a licensed dealer once a year (and hovered around seeing what he did different).
When I sold it it had a little crash damage but compression was textbook.

Except for the R spec engines, jappa post 85 well maintatined should be good for 150,000 according to the maintenance manager at red baron.

Motu
16th December 2003, 17:07
Um,I'm don't work on bikes much anymore,but cars are my day to day life - all I can say is...ah,shit happens mate - the most carefully maintaned vehicle can turn on you,usually around this of year - but some dickhead who never does a thing can get decades out of a POS.HAH!!! cept for my sister in law...her 96 Commodre hasn't had a service for 2yrs/50,000km and just shit a trans....oh,and you want it fixed before Xmas?,sorry girl,your penny pinching has just caught up with you...you can't afford $3000 before Xmas,well nor can I!!!

marty
16th December 2003, 17:31
those vr/vs commodores always shat the trannies at 200 - 225k's. cheaper to buy a drivetrain from flywheel to driveshaft from a wreckers than it is to fix them

LB
17th December 2003, 04:49
Hamish and I always have our Beemers serviced every 10,000kms as per the manual. We also change the oil (and sometimes filter) half-way inbetween services. Use the $80/4ltr Shell stuff. (we've got a mate who works at Shell so we get it half-price, though would use it even paying full price.) Hamish has over 60,000kms on his R1100S and has had nothing done to it, and no signs of any major wear. My R1150R has almost 50,000kms on it and is going fine.

I agree with what the guys say that generally the better you treat/service a bike the longer it will last.

My Duc - the mechanic at the Ducati shop (who I know and trust) reckons there's no point changing oil halfway inbetween with it. I probably will anyway.

mops
17th December 2003, 20:17
i do realise the importance of oil changes in the eingine. My :love: ,turbo subby gets $100 worth of filter and synthetic every 5000k's. 163000k's on the clock and still going strong :) (knock on wood) :)

question. how much oil does usually go into 250cc bike motor ???

question 2. I just realised, i dont have any place to store/park my bike. I mean, i have no garage, no carport, no sherd and there's no way my flatmate/landlord will allow me to park this ting inside house. any ideas how could i overcome this problem ??? I have big tree in the backyard that i could chain the bike to. what doyathink ???

[edited to correct numerous spelling mistakes]

curious george
17th December 2003, 23:04
question. how much oil does usually go into 250cc bike motor ???

question 2. I just realised, i dont have any place to store/park my bike. I mean, i have no garage, no carport, no sherd and there's no way my flatmate/landlord will allow me to park this ting inside house. any ideas how could i overcome this problem ??? I have big tree in the backyard that i could chain the bike to. what doyathink ???

[edited to correct numerous spelling mistakes]

Question 1: twice as long as a piece of string
(and it depends on the thicknes of the string)

Question 2: Never store bikes in a sherd. Very bad. I would not leave your ting where anybody else can see it either.
Bike chained to tree =good idea, unless tree can ride a bike. Then you have many more problems. Find a quiet shrub instead. Or adjust suspension for big tree.

How about making a small wooden shelter? A wee lean to type thing? Put wheels on it, and ta-da! You can buy them, but some 2x4 and 3mm plywood would suffice. I'll draw a picture if you want.

marty
18th December 2003, 09:22
so which bike did you end up buying? most bikes have a full oil indicator plug which you remove, and fill through the filler until it flows out. the other way is just to search on google the model of the bike, and find the info out that way. there are plenty of people on here that have had all types of bikes too.

mops
18th December 2003, 09:35
i ahvent bought abything yet. I have to sort out my license first. besides, i got to work iout some place to store the bike once i have it.

marty
18th December 2003, 12:12
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/motors/motorcycles/honda_cb250/_review/412119/

http://www.ukbike.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch/reviewsearch_more.cgi?searchstring=gallery10382

http://www.ukbike.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch/reviewsearch_more.cgi?searchstring=10509

http://www.ukbike.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch/reviewsearch_more.cgi?searchstring=9450

http://www.ukbike.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch/reviewsearch_more.cgi?searchstring=9623

http://www.ukbike.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch/reviewsearch_more.cgi?searchstring=9523

hows that for comparisons......

mops
18th December 2003, 12:33
thans mate...
that honda is really looking good....

merv
18th December 2003, 13:52
The amount of oil a 250 takes depends on the type. Two stroke and its only going have a few hundred mill in the gearbox. Four stroke it might have somewhere between 1 and two litres which is engine and gearbox combined. Basically they don't hold enough to bother skimping on so buy good stuff and filters regularly. Filter for my VFR is about $15 - $20 similar price to a car one so they aren't too bad.

fritter
18th December 2003, 21:03
as for books about the techniques of driving a bike/maintenance, what would you recomend ???

For riding technique - has anyone mentioned Twist of the Wrist 1 & 2 (Keith Code) to you yet?

They are about the only books I've ever looked at... there are stacks of websites though.

Bikepoint has some stuff you might want to check out --> http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/clubhouse/advice.asp

If you search you'll find more than enough info... obviously a lot of it will conflict... you need to take everything you hear with a grain of salt. Most of it will come down to experience.

Bike forums are normally good too of course :D

Jay widda 150
16th September 2004, 15:09
yep 3.5k is porb more realistic and gear is MOST important get that 1ST!!! then match a bike with your gears so you look good too :kick:

Devil
16th September 2004, 15:24
yep 3.5k is porb more realistic and gear is MOST important get that 1ST!!! then match a bike with your gears so you look good too :kick:
Ok, enough thread dredging.
Pay attention to what you're looking at.

fritter
16th September 2004, 20:29
geez - it was only 9 months since the last post

rotfl :killingme

ManDownUnder
21st September 2004, 14:32
OH NO!!!!!!

I've just read Jackrat's first posting in this thread... and I agree with him...

OH THE SHAME! :thud: :thud:
MDU

tuscan
22nd September 2004, 14:43
I've got an FXR (cost me 1850) and am 19 years old. My insurance with Protecta (full insurance) costs bout 230 a year.

And I picked up full set of 'budget' gear for $650: helmet, soft armour cordura jacket and pants, leather gloves and boots, from Motomail.

tuscan
22nd September 2004, 14:47
geez - it was only 9 months since the last post

rotfl :killingme

Only notice this now... :Oops:

Macktheknife
31st August 2005, 21:22
Mate,Welcome aboard,I am as usual going to disagee with a little the other guys say.The agree part first but,buy a good helmet,NOT SECOND HAND.
Now the disagree part,,Buy a cheap bike,remember you ARE going to drop this thing,You can get something like an AX100 Suzuki cheap as,I don,t recommend going any bigger than 100-125cc and the list is endless,buy a two stroke for eazy DIY maintainance.If this is your very first bike ever be prepared to come off a few times so keep in mind what can break.Don,t buy anything with a fairing.You will find a bike for under a grand if you don,t go after some squidy bloody race rep, type bike.Keep in mind this is for learning,showing off comes later.
When you are ready you could get a good price for that Subaroo,
an buy a real nice bike.Get into the real deal.May the force be with you.
Cheers.

Welcome Noobie, I agree with everyone else and have a little extra tip for you. Get some lessons from some of the old farts around town, I recommend Lee from Rusty Nuts, he operates a little thing in Otahuhu on Sunday afternoons just for learners and basic handling certs, bike is supplied and very reasonable prices too. Call 021 new rider for info.
Other than that keep the rubber side down and enjoy riding something that suits you.

curious george
1st September 2005, 09:52
Hello? Calling December 2003....... MOps, you still there?

James Deuce
1st September 2005, 10:02
Welcome Noobie, I agree with everyone else and have a little extra tip for you. Get some lessons from some of the old farts around town, I recommend Lee from Rusty Nuts, he operates a little thing in Otahuhu on Sunday afternoons just for learners and basic handling certs, bike is supplied and very reasonable prices too. Call 021 new rider for info.
Other than that keep the rubber side down and enjoy riding something that suits you.

OMG!!! WTF?????

Jonty
1st September 2005, 10:12
ha ha this is hilarious :rofl: Haven't had a chance to check but this noob is probably riding round on an R1 by now!!

People need to check post dates :nono:

Ninja
1st September 2005, 21:53
Good luck with finding a suitable bike. GN250's make a good investment as they are easy to ride and tend to hold their price when you want to trade it for a bigger machine. When you are ready to do the licence check out www.riderskills.co.nz - they provide the bike free of charge for your Basic Handling Skills test.

Sniper
1st September 2005, 21:54
hahahahah, this is the funniest thread dredging ever. Twice its been done, hahah

James Deuce
1st September 2005, 21:55
ROFLMAO - the date of the first post is: 9th December, 2003. Mops probably has their full license now, or didn't bother and bought a WRX or Evo.
Lol

curious george
1st September 2005, 23:02
The name Mops rings a bell..... anyone know him?

Rashika
2nd September 2005, 08:34
I think you guys are really bored...

HA me too!

VasalineWarrior
1st October 2005, 21:59
Try a Suzuki RG 150. Nice and cheap, easy on gas and just enough grunt to not be intimidating but with some scope as your ability improves a bit. Just remember to put 2 stroke oil in it!

BLACKYOSHI1000
2nd October 2005, 12:21
Try a Suzuki RG 150. Nice and cheap, easy on gas and just enough grunt to not be intimidating but with some scope as your ability improves a bit. Just remember to put 2 stroke oil in it!
A LITTLE LATE FOR THAT :slap: THE GUY LOOKING FOR A BIKE IN 2003 WAS ONLY ON HERE FOR 9 DAYS LMFAO

hXc
2nd October 2005, 13:39
OMG!!! WTF?????
BBQ!!!

No seriously guys. Why the fuck don't people look at posting dates??? :weird::weird: