PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

Dean
29th April 2011, 14:00
Really keen on doing full licence asap the waiting time has well passed, was wondering if I could get the down low, some advice etc please. What will be expected? Do they go Nazi if you just wear a helmet and gloves? How did you find your test?

(I know..search bar and all but)

Shyt my bad was supposed to go in newbie biker section.

4AGE
29th April 2011, 14:01
Why would you not want to wear at least a jacket?

yod
29th April 2011, 14:07

indeed

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/137374-I-think-this-is-quot-road-rash-queen-quot-from-a-few-years-ago?highlight=brittany+morrow

Nasty
29th April 2011, 14:15
Are you ready to sit your test - you don't seem to know the legal requirements at this stage if you are asking those questions.

Katman
29th April 2011, 19:54

It would hide his muscles.

Mom
29th April 2011, 20:42
Shyt my bad was supposed to go in newbie biker section.

Stop fucken trolling Dean, surely you dont want me to ring around and find you out again :sunny:

Get on with it lad!

varminter
30th April 2011, 20:25
Just helmet and gloves is fine.....perhaps a posing pouch too, just for modesty sake?

Dean
30th April 2011, 20:51
Nah just curious, saw a guy wearing helmet and gloves doing a licence test of some sort thought it was a bit odd.

It would hide his muscles.
haha tight leather jackets are a must jj

Are you ready to sit your test .
I hope so, been practising a fair bit.

Stop fucken trolling Dean, surely you dont want me to ring around and find you out again :sunny:
:blink: tis bit creepy

Mully
1st May 2011, 13:07
The law is only that you have to wear a lid - they can't fail you if you don't wear anything else.

Book a lesson with an instructor to give you a once-over before you do the test.

Make sure your bike is legal (WOF, etc) and everything works (horn etc) and off you go.

superman
1st May 2011, 13:24
Do you lose out all your money if it's pissing down and refuse to ride in unsafe weather?

Though I guess unless it's absolutely blowing a gail and hailing it'd be all good. But strong gusts are a bitch on the little fulla.

Mully
1st May 2011, 13:33
Do you lose out all your money if it's pissing down and refuse to ride in unsafe weather?

Though I guess unless it's absolutely blowing a gail and hailing it'd be all good. But strong gusts are a bitch on the little fulla.

Yep - probably. I doubt the testing guys will do it for nothing next time.

I think the logic is "You should be able to ride in any conditions" - I'd be surprised if they didn't allow for wind gusts on the test.

Old Steve
1st May 2011, 17:58
I was warned when I booked both my 6R and 6F tests that it would go ahead irrespective of weather unless flooding made any section of the road unpassable.

varminter
1st May 2011, 19:59
I believe it will be canceled if there is a plague of frogs or a hail of locusts.

Mully
1st May 2011, 20:54
I believe it will be canceled if there is a plague of frogs or a hail of locusts.

Well, yes, but you'll have to pay LTNZ again.

C.Linnell
4th May 2011, 12:50
Agree with getting an instructor to check you out. The defensive driving guy who ran the course I did (to reduce my waiting time) pointed out a couple of road rule things that I could have been doing better.

Keep in mind the person following you around will almost certainly not have a motorbike license of any kind, so make sure everything you do "looks" safe as well as is safe.

Also: pre-arrange with the tester what you'll do if you can't hear them through the mic. They'll usually be fine with you pulling over, but make sure to discuss it.

Lastly, don't kiss ass, but do make sure the tester likes you.

Old Steve
4th May 2011, 18:16
Just some basic points Dean.

You can't check your mirrors too often, check them every 15 to 20 seconds, make exaggerated head movements so the tester knows you're checking your mirrors. When you mount your bike, before you start your engine, just put your hands up to your mirrors as if adjusting them.

Look over your shoulder if changing lanes and pulling out from a stop on the side of the road, exaggerate the head movement, this will earn you brownie points from the tester and could save you from a nasty test failing accident.

When you do the hazards recognition bit, identify the car following you as a hazard too (thats the tester, he's still a potential hazard). Identify any changes in road surface too, prove you're a savvy bike rider. Exaggerate moving the bike away from painted road markings, go right around pedestrian crossing diamonds and speed numbers painted on the road.

Watch your speed, better to be a little slow than go over the posted limit. I only had to ride in 50 and 70 kn/hr zones for my 6F.

Check your indicators, get into the habit of clicking them off every 20 - 30 seconds throughout the test.

Good luck.