PDA

View Full Version : Light and indicator upgrade on a Bandit 250. Help!

Beren
2nd May 2011, 09:23
So I've had my new bike all of two days and already I want to change something... but I think it is about the only thing I would play with!

I really want to upgrade the headlight power, and since I have hazards on the bike i want to upgrade the hazards to LED's so I can leave them on happily while lane splitting on the way in to Auckland.

Unfortunately the bike came with no manual, and a reasonably prolonged google hasn't helped on what fits the bike. If anyone has a pdf manual lying around that they wouldn't mind sharing that would be awesome.

Also has anyone here done this to a bandit before - if so any advice would be appreciated!

Many Thanks

EB255GTX
2nd May 2011, 09:41
So I've had my new bike all of two days and already I want to change something... but I think it is about the only thing I would play with!

I really want to upgrade the headlight power, and since I have hazards on the bike i want to upgrade the hazards to LED's so I can leave them on happily while lane splitting on the way in to Auckland.

Unfortunately the bike came with no manual, and a reasonably prolonged google hasn't helped on what fits the bike. If anyone has a pdf manual lying around that they wouldn't mind sharing that would be awesome.

Also has anyone here done this to a bandit before - if so any advice would be appreciated!

Many Thanks

What problem are you trying to solve by changing the indicators to LEDs? Are you worried about brightness? power consumption? wear and tear?

the wear and tear would be the only reason to change to LEDs, but you then give up some visibility as they are not as good from all angles as a bulb....

With the headlight part - be careful how much extra power you squeeze in there, you can melt wires if you put something in that draws heaps more current, and people have melted the headlight reflector or the plastic casing in the past from putting stupidly powerful bulbs in there that the manufacturer never designed the bike for.

Beren
2nd May 2011, 10:15
Hmmm the thought about changing to LED's is because when lane splitting I think I am going to do so with hazzards on... as that means they will be on for 20 mins a day running constantly I thought that it might run through bulbs fast if left standard.

I will know a bit more about the headlight over the coming weeks... but will be riding both ways in the dark so a little more power seemed like a good idea. Not sure how much I can usefully put through the headlight.

EB255GTX
2nd May 2011, 10:20
I think you get like 55W and 65/70W depending on your bulb type so you should be able to go up a bit, but don't go to 120W or something crazy!

With the indicators, maybe the easy thing to do is leave them as is, then the first time one blows, replace it and note the day it went, then when the same one goes again you will know how long they are going to last. It might be long enough that you don't care!

If you go LED, don't forget you need resistors across them so the indicators flash at the right rate, or you replace your flasher with an upgraded one.

bogan
2nd May 2011, 10:36
With the headlight I think it pays to put a relay and decent guage wire up to it, as a small voltage drop across the standard wires (fairly common on some bikes) is a large drop in brightness, if it doesn't make much difference you are then set up to run a more powerful bulb.

EB255GTX explains the indicator situation well :yes: and make sure you get E marked lenses if it's not just a bulb swap (not even sure they make bulb swaps for filament to LED).

EB255GTX
2nd May 2011, 10:40
Yeah the relay is a good call for any high power thing that you add on to your bike!

I guess you guys would be familiar with Trade Me/ It's new to me, I'm used to ebay but only because I haven't been in NZ long - anyway there are automotive LED bulbs everywhere on Ebay so probably Trade Me as well - they go in place of the standard bulb, i.e. inside the lens and reflector. You can't tell from the outside apart from the flash being instant on and off.

Beren
2nd May 2011, 12:28
Actually I think what I might do is wander along to Repco and see if they do a straight upgrade bulb that sits in the same fitting and just see how much difference that makes. I was thinking about creating a front light with an superbright LED array but I think that might be a long term project.

EB255GTX
2nd May 2011, 12:32
Actually I think what I might do is wander along to Repco and see if they do a straight upgrade bulb that sits in the same fitting and just see how much difference that makes. I was thinking about creating a front light with an superbright LED array but I think that might be a long term project.

oh sorry buddy i meant for the indicators - here is some i found on Trade Me:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Bulbs/auction-372315759.htm

There's all sorts of shapes and colors available, that's just an example of what I mean

Beren
2nd May 2011, 12:41
I am actually thinking of upgrading both. The headlight is probably the more important of the two, though I need to see what I can safely put in there.

banditrider
2nd May 2011, 19:54
Try Powerbulbs (http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=43) for a +80, +90 or +100 bulb (just do a search for your fitting and wattage). As long as the reflector in the headlight is good these will really give you more light for the same wattage as the original.

Based in the UK but free worldwide delivery and cheaper than here...

The bulbs are more fragile than standard - I get around 20,000k from the +80's.

davebullet
2nd May 2011, 21:14
I second banditrider - check out powerbulbs for a cheap and quick upgrade replacing with a brighter (same power consumption) bulb.

The other thing to check is the condition of the reflector? Is it tarnished / old and crappy? Maybe time to replace the globe (is it a naked? didn't look to closely)

Lastly - if you are feeling more adventurous - check with a multi-meter what the voltage is at the headlight. Old / high resistance wiring can lose volts = loss in brightness. Putting beefier cable in with a relay direct of the battery can boost lost voltage.

DrunkenMistake
2nd May 2011, 21:43
Forget your hazards man, If they cant see a headlight glowing in their mirror then they aint gonna see hazards that are behind it, Im all for LED indicators and tail lights tho, they are brighter but I believe they are more important in the looks department I havnt got them on my bike (Yet) but following my mate on his R6 with an intergrated LED Tail light/indicators, I found during the day you cant see them too well

Oh and your looking at like the likes of $150 for LED indicators front and back, including resistors

LBD
3rd May 2011, 01:33
the wear and tear would be the only reason to change to LEDs, but you then give up some visibility as they are not as good from all angles as a bulb...

The super bright TUV approved Rizoma LED indicators I fitted to the monster were very much brighter and were visible from a good arch....would highly recomend them...not cheap however...