PDA

View Full Version : Tamaki Drive incident this morning (2 May 2011)

chasio
2nd May 2011, 11:28
From The Herald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10722856)

"Police and ambulance are at the scene of an accident near the intersection of Tamaki Dr and Ngapipi Rd, where a bus and motorcyclist have collided.

A police spokesman said it appeared the motorcyclist went under the bus just after 9am, but further details were not available as officers were still en-route to the scene.

He said the status of the motorcyclist is unclear, however she was conscious."

My best wishes to the rider for a full and speedy recovery.

That junction has also claimed many a cyclist, to the point that there are flashing signs when a system detects the approach of a cyclist in the cycle lane.

The photo *appears* to show a bus turning right across a biker going straight through, i.e. a driver failing to give way to the oncoming bike. Potentially a classic SMIDSY.

I wonder if motorbikes would activate the system that alerts right turning traffic? Has anyone tried it? Any downsides?

Meanwhile, let's be careful out there.

GPXchick
2nd May 2011, 11:48
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10722856

Latte
2nd May 2011, 11:56
Not good, lots of accidents at the intersection , the right turn into Ngapipi gets a lot of people frustrated.

Edbear
2nd May 2011, 12:14
Not good, lots of accidents at the intersection , the right turn into Ngapipi gets a lot of people frustrated.

Ngapipi Rd. is notorious... Both the intersection there and the road up to Paretai Dr. :bye:

Quasi
2nd May 2011, 12:44
very odd. Headline now says rider is dead.Nothing about it in new article, and she is now a he. Regardless, any rider down is a tragedy for our community. Hope the news is not as bad as it appears
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4950574/Motorcyclist-dies-in-Auckland-crash

sil3nt
2nd May 2011, 12:47
very odd. Headline now says rider is dead.Nothing about it in new article, and she is now a he. Regardless, any rider down is a tragedy for our community. Hope the news is not as bad as it appears
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4950574/Motorcyclist-dies-in-Auckland-crashGreat reporting right there.

YellowDog
2nd May 2011, 13:06
Great reporting right there.

Unbelievable: "He was believed to have been wearing a crash helmet"

FFS :no:

avgas
2nd May 2011, 13:14
bugger.

not many people expect a bus to pull in front of them.

\m/
2nd May 2011, 13:18
Fucks sake, the only motorcyclists I've seen riding without a helmet on the road are the farmers going a short distance at low speed. Stuff are a bunch of knobends.

Bald Eagle
2nd May 2011, 13:19
Fucks sake, the only motorcyclists I've seen riding without a helmet on the road are the farmers going a short distance at low speed. Stuff are a bunch of knobends.

Yeah but they do gender reassignment real cheap :facepalm:

CatTheBrat
2nd May 2011, 13:39
Holy geezus that's put the shits up me - my first ride into work today, via waterfront, I went down there about half an hour before the accident by the sounds of it.. :blink:

I hope stuff.co.nz is wrong - they are dodgy! They have nicked some stuff from my facebook and published it (about cyclone vania while on a cruise ship).

Little Miss Trouble
2nd May 2011, 14:25
Rider is now injured, not dead according to stuff, still conflicting on whether the rider is male or female.

Bloody glad to see your post Dale!!

willytheekid
2nd May 2011, 14:26
Always wondered what the word "special" on buses meant....now I know it may possibly refer to the driver-:crazy:
Poor cross gender rider, hope they find that helmet! :facepalm:

...."A police spokesman said it appeared the motorcyclist went under the bus just after 9am"....looks more like the bus went OVER the bike.

Has journalisim gone the way of the weather report or what?.....cos that reporting is way off!

Thoughts go out to the injured rider and there family & friends.

CatTheBrat
2nd May 2011, 16:41
Bloody glad to see your post Dale!!

Friggin nervous for my first ride home shortly, it's wetter and shittier than this morning. I feel foolish for trying to be so brave in the wet so soon. :no:

mikemike104
2nd May 2011, 16:54
Friggin nervous for my first ride home shortly, it's wetter and shittier than this morning. I feel foolish for trying to be so brave in the wet so soon. :no:

You will be fine, take it easy and keep your distance from cars, because they stop faster than you can. I'm on my ninja on the way home in this shit too, so good luck to us both :scooter:

Gremlin
2nd May 2011, 18:16
Yeah but they do gender reassignment real cheap :facepalm:
That's nothing... now they're apparently bringing people back from the dead!

Rider is now injured, not dead according to stuff, still conflicting on whether the rider is male or female.

The conditions today are certainly not your average rain and wind etc, so be proud you did it. Remember to be smooth, avoid sudden actions such as hard braking, and maintain your space around you.

danchop
2nd May 2011, 18:32
nothing wrong with that intersection and nothing wrong with the weather today...
you see a bus wanting to turn in front of you,just bloody slow down and expect it to do so,cause its an auckland bus and they do what they please..
riders fault

phill-k
2nd May 2011, 18:47
riders fault

Fuck I'd put your hard hat back on if I was u:innocent:

Latte
2nd May 2011, 19:05
Holy geezus that's put the shits up me - my first ride into work today, via waterfront, I went down there about half an hour before the accident by the sounds of it.. :blink:

I hope stuff.co.nz is wrong - they are dodgy! They have nicked some stuff from my facebook and published it (about cyclone vania while on a cruise ship).

I kinda hoped you hadn't seen this , wasn't going to mention it to you.

skinman
2nd May 2011, 19:11
nothing wrong with that intersection and nothing wrong with the weather today...
you see a bus wanting to turn in front of you,just bloody slow down and expect it to do so,cause its an auckland bus and they do what they please..
riders fault

settle petal
Katman will get jealous

yep 'O' for awesum ride home tonight. nothing beats a bit of rain & half a gale.

CatTheBrat
3rd May 2011, 09:12
I don't know about rider's fault! Yeah you should assume it will do so but if it's a last minute decision then not much anyone can do??

Well I was shit scared all the way home and terrified to go through the corners going really wide. I was very lucky to have gwinchy come into town and ride with me. But it was dark by the time we left the city so that certainly increased the shitmypants factor.
But, I made it home with no dramas and one hell of a ride to remember lol I'm lucky to have such a great bunch of biker friends , very supportive :love:

Oleg
5th May 2011, 15:32
Tunes out that i know his parents. And yeah, its a guy. He was on the way to college for exams. Thanks god wearing a full armor. He said that bus simply didn't see him.
result: Few broken bones, broken shoulder, 2 days un-conscious, brain concussion. but shoulder is the worst. Still in hospital, few operations to go but hes getting better.

Edbear
5th May 2011, 17:05
Tunes out that i know his parents. And yeah, its a guy. He was on the way to college for exams. Thanks god wearing a full armor. He said that bus simply didn't see him.
result: Few broken bones, broken shoulder, 2 days un-conscious, brain concussion. but shoulder is the worst. Still in hospital, few operations to go but hes getting better.

Sorry to hear that, but glad he's survived!

Oleg
5th May 2011, 17:27
Sorry to hear that, but glad he's survived!

same here. When i opened the herald and saw a bike under the bus (without even knowing who is the rider) i though that no one can survive it. Got a shock when i found out who the guy is.

Gone Burger
5th May 2011, 17:30

Very sorry to hear of his injuries also. Wishing him a safe and speedy recovery through and through. It will be a touch time for his family, and of course for him. What ever happened I sure wound't wish those injuries on anyone. And from someone who also has a busted shoulder from a recent crash (hehe, thats my smallest issue), it will take time to heal.

I'm thinking of him. My father saw this accident as he lives around the corner. He called me up, as I'm house bound due to my crash, and begged me not to get back on a motorcycle. I felt for him, he was not coping seeing that.

All the best to the rider.

Edbear
5th May 2011, 17:33
Very sorry to hear of his injuries also. Wishing him a safe and speedy recovery through and through. It will be a touch time for his family, and of course for him. What ever happened I sure wound't wish those injuries on anyone. And from someone who also has a busted shoulder from a recent crash (hehe, thats my smallest issue), it will take time to heal.

I'm thinking of him. My father saw this accident as he lives around the corner. He called me up, as I'm house bound due to my crash, and begged me not to get back on a motorcycle. I felt for him, he was not coping seeing that.

All the best to the rider.

Father's are like that... :yes: It's 'cause of :love: