PDA

View Full Version : I made a fail

Oblivion
6th May 2011, 16:46
I made a fail today. :yes:

Needed to post something in the mail, So I don the proper gear and go for a ride up to the postbox. I hadn't been riding for a couple of weeks so the bike was really hard to start. I manage to get it started and ride up the road. On the way back, I pull up to the roundabout outside our house. So there I was idling, and the headlight dims, and the engine cuts out. Pulled off to the side and spent 30 seconds to get it started again. (turned the headlight off, and gave it a small push).

I have learnt a very valuable lesson here.

If you haven't ridden your bike for a while, always make sure you spend time idling to charge the battery a bit before you go riding.

I didn't and looked like an idiot. :yes:

bogan
6th May 2011, 16:49
are you sure it is charging properly? wouldn't expect it to cut out from a battery with a low state of charge.

Katman
6th May 2011, 16:49
If you haven't ridden your bike for a while, always make sure you spend time idling to charge the battery a bit before you go riding.

Why?

Riding it will charge the battery faster than idling it.

steve_t
6th May 2011, 16:50
Why?

+1 Just what I was about to say.

I think you need a new battery

Oblivion
6th May 2011, 16:56
Its still rideable to say the least. I just think something is wrong somewhere and I can't be bothered to fix it. I'll just deal with it until I can get my full.

The only problem that I hate is the bike not being able to start with the headlight on. At all actually.

And then I ride with the headlight off accidentally. :innocent:

Edbear
6th May 2011, 17:00
Its still rideable to say the least. I just think something is wrong somewhere and I can't be bothered to fix it. I'll just deal with it until I can get my full.

The only problem that I hate is the bike not being able to start with the headlight on. At all actually.

And then I ride with the headlight off accidentally. :innocent:

I think I see your problem...:yes:

Usarka
6th May 2011, 17:03
I made a fail today. :yes:

Needed to post something in the mail, So I don the proper gear and go for a ride up to the postbox.

You have to ride the bike to get to the letter box? :shit:

Oblivion
6th May 2011, 17:06
You have to ride the bike to get to the letter box? :shit:

My legs were....uh......indisposed......on the footpegs....

AllanB
6th May 2011, 17:14
Bummer - give the battery a good old fashioned charge up - it may be on it's way out if it has gone flat after 2 weeks. It is getting colder and about that time when batteries fail.

Agree re idling - it will not charge much that way. I notice in my workshop manual that max charging for my bike is just on 5,000 rpms .

A good excuse to hoon - 'honest office I had to ride like that as my battery will go flat if I stick to the speed limit'.

A good investment for a bike that sits for a while is a battery tender - heaps of brands out now and they start from as low as $70. Usually some on Trademe any given week.

steve_t
6th May 2011, 17:18
A good excuse to hoon - 'honest office I had to ride like that as my battery will go flat if I stick to the speed limit'.

LOL. Reminds me of the guy that was busted at 140 (don't actually remember how fast he was going but it was quite a bit over) because he'd just washed his car and wanted to dry it :facepalm:

Oblivion
6th May 2011, 17:18
Bummer - give the battery a good old fashioned charge up - it may be on it's way out if it has gone flat after 2 weeks. It is getting colder and about that time when batteries fail.

Agree re idling - it will not charge much that way. I notice in my workshop manual that max charging for my bike is just on 5,000 rpms .

A good investment for a bike that sits for a while is a battery tender - heaps of brands out now and they start from as low as $70. Usually some on Trademe any given week.

The battery itself is only a few months old. The old one was completly dead and wouldn't hold a charge. Put the new battery in and it still takes a while to start.
Methinks I should replace the spark plugs or something. That might make a difference.

steve_t
6th May 2011, 17:20
Check R/R and stator

Oblivion
6th May 2011, 17:20
LOL. Reminds me of the guy that was busted at 140 (don't actually remember how fast he was going but it was quite a bit over) because he'd just washed his car and wanted to dry it :facepalm:

Sorry Officer I was uh.....trying to get to the donut shop before it closes. Want to come? :shutup:

ducatilover
6th May 2011, 17:21
Why?

Just let it idle at 2000rpm :innocent: Most decent condition bike charging systems put out far more than needed (To my little knowledge) the problem is the reg/rec is letting out less as the input voltage is "low"

I think.
Or summat like that. :facepalm:

AllanB
6th May 2011, 17:23
The battery itself is only a few months old. The old one was completly dead and wouldn't hold a charge. Put the new battery in and it still takes a while to start.
Methinks I should replace the spark plugs or something. That might make a difference.

Hmmm, what's the bike?

Oblivion
6th May 2011, 17:25
Hmmm, what's the bike?

87' GN250

Blah blah 10 characters.

AllanB
6th May 2011, 17:26
I agree with you - chuck a new plug in it. Probably go like stink after!

ducatilover
6th May 2011, 17:27
87' GN250

Blah blah 10 characters.
This'll fix it.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq80/n0regret5/gn250-1.jpg

Oblivion
6th May 2011, 17:28
This'll fix it.

Would you like a turbo to go with your bobber sir :innocent:

Oblivion
6th May 2011, 17:29
I agree with you - chuck a new plug in it. Probably go like stink after!

Agree with you there. Because it starts to splutter at low revs nearly all the time.

AllanB
6th May 2011, 17:30
This'll fix it.

That is so cool.

WTF don't the factory do something like that, be a piece of P for them.

Or is it only more mature riders who now find that style attractive? sigh.

Oblivion
6th May 2011, 17:31
That is so cool.

Did you notice the very attractive photoshopping they did with the handlebars :lol:

ducatilover
6th May 2011, 17:35
Would you like a turbo to go with your bobber sir :innocent:
And nitro.

That is so cool.

I want to build one...it's feckin' neat.

AllanB
6th May 2011, 17:43
Did you notice the very attractive photoshopping they did with the handlebars :lol:

Bahahaha - I missed that.

Still it is quite buildable - The tank would be the hard bit.

Which reminds me of a episode of American Chopper when they needed a long tank - instead of building one (requires skill) they bent up a piece of sheet metal and welded it onto the rear of a off the shelf tank and bogged up the rest. Looked great but it was mostly fake!

kiwi cowboy
6th May 2011, 17:47
Sorry Officer I was uh.....trying to get to the donut shop before You guys get there and eat them all. Want to come? :shutup:

Fixed it for ya:yes:

wysper
7th May 2011, 07:48

I didn't notice either :shit:, quite liked the look though.

ducatilover
7th May 2011, 10:55
Who cares if it's shopped? :innocent:
I can see a very very sexy CB350 Twin in my head looking just like that (Just so it sounds right...) :love: It is a delicious looking thing.

Metastable
7th May 2011, 15:55
Check R/R and stator

What he said. mDoesn't sound like a battery. A battery shouldn't just let your bike die if it is running and has started previously, your bike just wouldn't start. Go get the regulator/rectifier checked out.

SMOKEU
7th May 2011, 16:29
I just leave a battery charger hooked up to my bike 24/7 and flick the charger on for a few hours once a week. Seems to keep it charged well enough.