PDA

View Full Version : "Proficient Motorcycling"

pritch
7th May 2011, 12:56
Following a discussion on KB, I have been contemplating the challenges that may arise with motorcycling as one gets older. The American author David L Hough was involved in the discussion, if indirectly, so I thought the least I could do was read his books.

The books “Proficient Motorcycling: The Ulitimate Guide To Riding Well” and “More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering The Ride” are written for Americans so some of the information has to be translated into right-hand-drive English.

Mr Hough has ridden in many countries including this one. He compares riding styles and accident rates in the US and Europe and his conclusions as to the differences are interesting and not without relevance to us.

Both books are oriented to road riding rather than track skills and Mr Hough
raises some interesting points. He doesn't always indicate what is correct and what is not, sometimes leaving it up to the reader to make their own decision after careful consideration. This particularly in instances where the apparent safest choice may actually be illegal.

There are two instances in which he discusses things that have been occupying my mind of late. One such involves speed of overtaking and the possibility that it may be safer to overtake at an illegal speed rather than spend an inordinately long time on the wrong side of the road. After all it really is the “wrong” side of the road. In the USA, as in New Zealand, however, the Police officer will likely remain unimpressed with your explanation as to the rationale for your increased velocity.

Recently while on an intercity ride I was overtaken by another rider, we'll refer to him as Bigbike Bob. I had been aware of Bob in my mirrors for a while but was somewhat underwhelmed by the manner in which he overtook me as well as the cars in the vicinity. For the next 100ks or so I had a good oportunity to observe Bob's style.

Bobs riding was very dignified and unhurried, he seemed to be cruising at about 115kph, when he came upon another vehicle he overtook it presumably still doing 115. Wherever the other vehicle was at the time. Many of his passing maneuvers were made in places I would not have attempted to make a pass because of insufficient visibility or oncoming traffic. It was almost as if Bob was confident that his bike was big enough to flatten the latter.

In comparison to Bobs dignified progress, my style seemed almost frenetic.
If I didn't feel there was sufficient clear road ahead I would slow to the speed of the obstructing vehicle until a suitable opportunity arose which then necessitated a downchange, or two, and rapid acceleration to a speed probably considerably in excess of Bob's.

To the car drivers being passed I may well have appeared a hoon in comparison to Bob, I felt a bit that way myself. It's probable that the Highway Patrol would concur with that view too. I have thought about this a lot since, and still don't have a definitive answer so I guess this remains a work in progress.

More controversially perhaps, Mr Hough also discusses overtaking on yellow lines . In the USA, as here, there were places where it was patently unsafe to overtake. People were hired, paint was purchased, and yellow lines were painted.

These guys need to be kept busy though, and there is a big stock of paint, so they keep on painting. There are now yellow lines where there has never been an accident, nor is there any great likelihood of there ever being one. To rub salt into the wound, in recent years one such has appeared right outside my gate.

In some circumstances Mr Hough postulates that the elevated view and superior performance available to the motorcyclist may permit an overtake to be made in safety despite the yellow line. He is not advocating stupid riding or dangerous overtaking, and again the Police officer will remain unimpressed by your explanation, whatever that is.

Ultimately I found Mr Hough's books wide ranging and thought provoking, and thinking about your riding can't really be a bad thing. I was told that nobody in NZ has the rights to import the books so mine came from amazon.com

Blackbird
7th May 2011, 15:01
Ron,
I completely agree with your sentiments arising from David Hough's book. With the on-going work I've been doing with David particularly on ageing riders for his forthcoming new book, my respect for him continues to grow. There's no doubt that he's experienced, smart and very perceptive. However, I think he has a rare skill in presenting his case for acquiring better skills in a manner that engages people rather than frightens them. His holistic approach works very well. Incidentally, David says that no-one was interested in picking up his book because of the "driving on the right" American content. Having read the book from cover to cover several times, I found that you mentally compensate for this and it's no detraction at all.

Your comment about a bike having superior performance to the average car got me thinking. You'd expect a Ferrari driver to have superior skills if he was going to use a reasonable percentage of its performance. The same applies to bikes and whilst I believe that the average rider is a bit better than the average cager, a rider needs to be a whole lot better before they can feel any sense of vindication. I don't believe the average rider is a whole lot better.

That may sound like heresy and piss a whole lot of people off but it's been rammed home pretty forcibly in recent times. I'm going through the Institute of Advanced Motorists Observer (Advanced Instructor) programme at present and it's painfully clear how much there is to learn!:yes:

Incidentally, the IAM book "Advanced Motorcycling - the essential guide" 978-0-9562239-1-3, is also superb. One of my textbooks for the course. Also from Amazon UK, 10 quid.

Viking01
7th May 2011, 15:01
Did a "double-take" when I read this post. I have recently purchased the same two books, and am currently partway through the second of them. While (as you say it is written for a US audience), they have some good content. One of them has some very clear and well written material on cornering, that probably explains some of the dynamics better than many other motorcycling books I've bought and read. Cheers.

Usarka
7th May 2011, 15:50
To the car drivers being passed I may well have appeared a hoon in comparison to Bob, I felt a bit that way myself. It's probable that the Highway Patrol would concur with that view too. I have thought about this a lot since, and still don't have a definitive answer so I guess this remains a work in progress.

They'd think you're both hoons and idiots.

Awesome post though.

awa355
10th May 2011, 13:31
Are these books only avalible through Amazon?

gijoe1313
10th May 2011, 13:37
I have these very books myself and have thought quite often about the knowledge and ideas presented. It was actually good to have the ideas written for the American roads as it made me think more about how it applied to our roads.

An excellent read and I have lent my copy out to others (but buggered if I can remember who has it now!)

Must go back and have another re-read since its been a while I last perused its pages! :scratch: I have seen copies of it at Borders a long while ago.

jaffaonajappa
10th May 2011, 22:28
Excellent post, im off to Borders on the weekend. Cheers.

pritch
10th May 2011, 22:48
As I mentioned I was told nobody has the rights to import the books, and as Blackbird mentioned that was because of the L H drive thing. Amazon.com do have the books.

mazz1972
24th May 2011, 12:22
As I mentioned I was told nobody has the rights to import the books, and as Blackbird mentioned that was because of the L H drive thing. Amazon.com do have the books.

Fishpond have the 2nd edition of Proficient Morotcycling, albeit it ships from the US. (http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Proficient-Motorcycling-David-Hough/9781933958354?cf=3&rid=1484417033&i=1&keywords=proficient+motorcycling)

Ender EnZed
24th May 2011, 15:44
Ultimately I found Mr Hough's books wide ranging and thought provoking, and thinking about your riding can't really be a bad thing

+1

Incidentally, the IAM book "Advanced Motorcycling - the essential guide" 978-0-9562239-1-3, is also superb. One of my textbooks for the course. Also from Amazon UK, 10 quid.

Currently unavailable. Any other suggestions on where I might get a copy?

Blackbird
24th May 2011, 16:29
+1

Currently unavailable. Any other suggestions on where I might get a copy?

Temporarily unavailable? did they give you a chance yo be wait-listed? They did with me and it took just over 3 weeks for it to come. If not, let me know. I have a mate who is an IAM Observer in the UK and he may be able to get a copy. IAM NZ aren't set up for UK books yet as far as I know.

Geoff

Ender EnZed
24th May 2011, 17:00
Temporarily unavailable? did they give you a chance yo be wait-listed? They did with me and it took just over 3 weeks for it to come. If not, let me know. I have a mate who is an IAM Observer in the UK and he may be able to get a copy. IAM NZ aren't set up for UK books yet as far as I know.

Geoff

Amazon.co.uk says "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available.", which I've done. Was that the same for you?

Amazon.com says "Out of Print--Limited Availability." and has no options other than to put it on a Wish List.

Blackbird
24th May 2011, 17:07
Amazon.co.uk says "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available.", which I've done. Was that the same for you?

Amazon.com says "Out of Print--Limited Availability." and has no options other than to put it on a Wish List.

Yep, I think that was the notice I got from Amazon UK. If you sign up and don't hear within 3 weeks, I'm pretty sure I could get you one.

Ender EnZed
24th May 2011, 17:38
Yep, I think that was the notice I got from Amazon UK. If you sign up and don't hear within 3 weeks, I'm pretty sure I could get you one.

Thanks for the offer, if nothing seems to have happened in a few weeks I might take you up on it.

santoy
25th May 2011, 08:47
My first post, apart from an introduction in the New Member Speak, so be kind. The IAM book "How to be a better rider" is available on the IAM website e-shop - £10. Not sure about P&P. Don't know the rules on link posting, but it's easy enough to find through Google. I have the Police Riders Handbook, from which I've learnt a fair bit, and have just discovered the local library has 2 of Mr Hough's books, so I'll browse before I buy.

Blackbird
25th May 2011, 09:27
Hi Santoy and welcome!

Do you happen to know whether IAM is active in Australia? A mate in Melbourne was asking. Funnily enough, when I did a Google, it came up with an IAM name in Tassie but I got the impression that it was a private training school with a similar name.

santoy
25th May 2011, 14:32
Hi Santoy and welcome!

Do you happen to know whether IAM is active in Australia? A mate in Melbourne was asking. Funnily enough, when I did a Google, it came up with an IAM name in Tassie but I got the impression that it was a private training school with a similar name.

Thanks for the welcome, Geoff. I gave the Tassie IAM guys a call today, just out of interest. They are not affiliated, but claim to be in the same family, whatever that means. They also said no other branches in Australia. They do source some manuals and training material from IAM UK. I enjoyed a quick browse through your blog early this morning too.

insane1
23rd July 2011, 19:06
did a search on whitcoulls website ,the first book is avaliable as an e-book not sure bout second one well worth a look.

Blackbird
23rd July 2011, 22:49
David's working on 2 new books. The first will be out later this year and is sort of a replacement for Proficient Motorcycling, but with totally new material. I've had the privilege of seeing some of the chapter drafts and they're superb. Still worth getting Proficient Motorcycling 2nd edition though. US$16.47 through Amazon USA.

His second book is specially for ageing motorcyclists (ummmm.... like me :facepalm:) and deals with how to prolong your riding career. It's going to be another impressive best seller.

Old Steve
31st July 2011, 21:36
David's working on 2 new books.
His second book is specially for ageing motorcyclists and deals with how to prolong your riding career.

I'd be interested in that second book. Having started riding at 61 and found out how exciting motorbike riding is I want to be on two wheels for as long as possible to make up for lost time.

BMWST?
31st July 2011, 21:56
i agree with his overtaking philosophy,and i can confirm the cops take a dim view of it...ie you are speeding.No excuses.I still overtake briskly,in car and on bike.

Blackbird
1st August 2011, 14:02
I'd be interested in that second book. Having started riding at 61 and found out how exciting motorbike riding is I want to be on two wheels for as long as possible to make up for lost time.

Steve,
Don't know whether you've seen my blog and the posts about ageing riders that started the dialogue with David, but chech these posts if not:

http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/02/whats-age-got-to-do-with-it.html

http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/02/ageing-motorcyclists-follow-up.html

You might also be interested in (almost) free advanced training with the Institute of Advanced Motorists. If you are, sent me a PM and I'll give you some info. I'm overseas at present but back at the weekend.

Cheers,

Geoff

insane1
4th August 2011, 10:11
blackbird what a find well worth reading,wahts this institute of advanced motorcycle training thing ?.

Blackbird
5th August 2011, 20:32
blackbird what a find well worth reading,wahts this institute of advanced motorcycle training thing ?.

Sorry about the delay in responding - been overseas until today.

Have a look at these links first and if you're interested, I'll give you some specific details about how you get a free assessment. The whole training is virtually free of charge as formally-qualified advanced riders give their time to raise skills of those with less experience:

http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/04/advanced-riding-masterclass.html

http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/06/tour-de-thames-and-something-more.html

http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/06/advanced-rider-training-reflections-so.html

http://rogerfleming-raftnn.blogspot.com/2011/08/first-iam-observed-ride.html

It's not just limited to people with performance bikes - one chap is doing it on a Vespa 200.

PM me if you want more details after reading those links.

Cheers,

Geoff

Bison
8th December 2012, 04:46
I met David in Billings Montana just days after he had printed the book and have the first autographed copy as a souvenier. I reference his book in some of my "expert" reports dealing with motorcycle riding techniques and the Courts also accept and recognize his approach and expertise. He is somewhat unconventional in his approach but gets his point across well and makes for easy reading, specially for the layman or beginner rider.

Blackbird
8th December 2012, 05:45
I met David in Billings Montana just days after he had printed the book and have the first autographed copy as a souvenier. I reference his book in some of my "expert" reports dealing with motorcycle riding techniques and the Courts also accept and recognize his approach and expertise. He is somewhat unconventional in his approach but gets his point across well and makes for easy reading, specially for the layman or beginner rider.

Yep, he has the rare ability to break down a complex subject into easily understandable language. He also comes across as a humble guy as opposed to a "guru". His new book was released a few months ago and it's probably his best yet. Some really interesting research material I haven't seen elsewhere. My review here:
http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/mastering-ride-2nd-edition-david-l-hough.html