PDA

View Full Version : Not being an off roader

Bonez
29th June 2005, 07:10
I'm seriously considering an off roader in about 400-500cc range-inspired by Motu no less :drinkup: Having just bought the '88 GB400, fine for gravel I might add but want something a bit more purpose built, logic dectates that it will probably be 87-90 Honda Xsommit. Mainly because of engine spares, filters etc, interchanability more than anything else. I have a habit of collecting spares for my bikes "just in case". Now I'm 6' and around 75kgs, hence my nickname. What should I be checking for before finally hand the dosh over. It'll most likely be through a bike shop as one of the road shitters will be used as a trade-in. Thanks for any constuctive assistance. Any unconstructive assistence will be suitably punished by having there thottle arm removed and be slapped around the ears with the soggy end :devil2:

chris
29th June 2005, 08:56
How far off road do you plan to go? Adventure riding, trail riding, enduro riding etc.

skidz
29th June 2005, 09:01
Just chuck some knoblies on your GB400 and have some real fun.

Bonez
29th June 2005, 09:12
Just chuck some knoblies on your GB400 and have some real fun.Hmmm good point. :yes:

Bonez
29th June 2005, 09:16
How far off road do you plan to go? Adventure riding, trail riding, enduro riding etc.Basiclly the same places the CB550s been-beachs, mud tracks, gravel roads, paddocks etc etc. You know the usual road bike places..............

Motu
29th June 2005, 09:22
It depends on what you want to do with it - if you just want an off roader TradeMe is your oyster...going dualpurpose is a tough one,it depends on how far you want to lean in either direction...compromise,compromise,compromise,you never get it right.A late 80s XR is most likely what you need,the 400s are not common,but very good,the next step up is an XR600,a bit of a handful in the dirt if you aren't used to them,that much power is a lot to cope with.Try for a disc brake on the rear,just so much better than a drum.

But knowing where and what you like to ride,if you want to expand on that - I reckon you'd just love a Transalp...if you can find a cheaper older one.

Oscar
29th June 2005, 09:37
Nuthin' wrong with a XR250 - slightly geared up (one tooth on the countershaft) they are quite capable on the road. Much easier for a n00b off road, too. Just avoid the '84-'85 vintage, and they are very reliable.

Bonez
30th June 2005, 08:28
Nuthin' wrong with a XR250 - slightly geared up (one tooth on the countershaft) they are quite capable on the road. Much easier for a n00b off road, too. Just avoid the '84-'85 vintage, and they are very reliable.Thanks for the advice guys.

XTC
30th June 2005, 08:35
Saw this on tm the other day. Looks like it's in nice condition too.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Adventure-dual-purpose/auction-30167981.htm