PDA

View Full Version : Restricted licence course

Krusti
29th June 2005, 08:08
Forgive me for being a dumb arse but I understand that Son can do a riding course which will cut down his restricted licence time. Can any one tell me what it is called...what is involved...roughly how much...and where he can do it in the mighty Waikato?

When I did my licence I just rode around the block!....and it shows:whistle:

Thanks guys

placidfemme
29th June 2005, 08:31
Forgive me for being a dumb arse but I understand that Son can do a riding course which will cut down his restricted licence time. Can any one tell me what it is called...what is involved...roughly how much...and where he can do it in the mighty Waikato?

Thanks guys

Hi Krusti... I'm not too sure where you can get it done, but I hear that "Pass Right (Rite?)" that do lessons for cars/trucks licenses, they also do the advanced rider safety course, which reduces your time. If I remember correctly it costs $200+. It would be better if you posted this question in the main "General" section. Not too many bikers (the ones that have done the course) look in the 250 section.

Good luck

thehollowmen
29th June 2005, 11:42
Defensive driving course cuts 6 months off, that costs between $50 and $120 depending. Any of your local driving schools can do that. That takes about 2 hours a night for 3-4 nights (sometimes spread over weeks)

Some places, (auckland, wellington, christchurch) can do a CBTA course ($200-$250) which takes a full day. This cuts 9 months off your restricted period.

If you're over 25, it cuts off even more. defensive driving still cuts off 6 months (I think, I'll just go check) and CBTA course means you can go for your full straight away.

thehollowmen
29th June 2005, 11:45
f you are under 25 years of age, you can apply for your full licence once you have held a restricted licence for 18 months. This time can be reduced to 12 months if:

* you have completed a driving course approved by the Director of Land Transport Safety; and
* you began the course no less than 6 months after receiving your restricted licence.

If you are aged 25 or over, you can apply for your full licence once you have held a restricted licence for 6 months. This time can be reduced to 3 months if you have completed a driving course approved by the Director of Land Transport Safety.

yeah, the CBTA for an over 25 cuts it off completely

Squiggles
29th June 2005, 13:48
where can i find out about a cbta course? :)

thehollowmen
29th June 2005, 15:08

Christchurch (http://www.driveschool.co.nz/Courses/Service/Detail/Product/14/Motorcycle_Courses/CBTA_FULL_Motorcycle_Course.html)

Penrose (http://www.passrite.co.nz/cycles.asp)

Wellington (http://roadsafe.co.nz/courselist/courselist.htm)

Hope that helps

justsomeguy
29th June 2005, 15:14

www.passrite.co.nz

justsomeguy
29th June 2005, 15:16

Thanks guys

Hi fella......

The CBTA course will cut his time down from 6 months on the learners to 4 months and costs $285 - but you only save 2 months......

The restricted to full costs the same $285 and halves the term from 18 - 9 months. -But I think you need to hold your restricted for at least 9 months before you apply.

crashe
29th June 2005, 16:25
Just throwing in a question here......

- Does that make a difference if say the young fella is well under the age of 18... will they still do it for someone so young.

- Will that put the cost up more for him, being so young.

Krusti's lad is still very young.

I reckon that Josh is itching to get rid of that yellow tag hanging off the back of his bike.

Krusti
29th June 2005, 16:32
Just throwing in a question here......

- Does that make a difference if say the young fella is well under the age of 18... will they still do it for someone so young.

- Will that put the cost up more for him, being so young.

Krusti's lad is still very young.

I reckon that Josh is itching to get rid of that yellow tag hanging off the back of his bike.

Hiya Crashe

He's itching to get off his 250......Altho I can't shake him on my thou the little bugger:whistle:

Krusti
29th June 2005, 16:34
Hi fella......

The CBTA course will cut his time down from 6 months on the learners to 4 months and costs $285 - but you only save 2 months......

The restricted to full costs the same $285 and halves the term from 18 - 9 months. -But I think you need to hold your restricted for at least 9 months before you apply.

Hi fella er ra ....

How many demerits are you allowed to have before they say sorry sonny you have to do the full 18 months?

justsomeguy
29th June 2005, 17:09
Hi fella er ra ....

How many demerits are you allowed to have before they say sorry sonny you have to do the full 18 months?

They are pretty strict. Don't know the exact number. However all applications are handled on an individual basis.

crashe
29th June 2005, 17:48
Hiya Crashe

He's itching to get off his 250......Altho I can't shake him on my thou the little bugger:whistle:

Gee he has not long just brought the 250.....
Whats the rush to get a bigger bike ?

Do you think he is really ready yet to go onto a bigger bike...
or do you think he should wait out till the time is legal to do it...
Is it the time factor or is it easier to pay the money to get it sooner.

You know how he rides etc... as he has ridden many kms with you.
Yep I know he has been riding for some time, even longer on farm bikes.

I sometimes wonder if the young ones are just wanting to get onto the bigger bikes to just be like the big boys.... and maybe they are rushing it too fast.
And can they really handle all that extra power from the bigger bikes.

walk'n
29th June 2005, 21:36
Hi ya
Hamilton Motorcycle Riding School does the cbta course as well, don in Nawton by the railway line.

Cass

Krusti
30th June 2005, 06:43
Gee he has not long just brought the 250.....
Whats the rush to get a bigger bike ?

Do you think he is really ready yet to go onto a bigger bike...
or do you think he should wait out till the time is legal to do it...
Is it the time factor or is it easier to pay the money to get it sooner.

You know how he rides etc... as he has ridden many kms with you.
Yep I know he has been riding for some time, even longer on farm bikes.

I sometimes wonder if the young ones are just wanting to get onto the bigger bikes to just be like the big boys.... and maybe they are rushing it too fast.
And can they really handle all that extra power from the bigger bikes.

As soon as he is allowed he will probably trade up...Personally I would say he is a quicker and more mature rider than alot of guys 3 times his senior. He has not only ridden with me but also with a couple of my mates who are very good riders who have taken him under their wings.

As long as he shows maturity I'm behind him 100%.....and normally I am!:rofl:

Speaking of power.....his 250 will sit with my 1000 and tops out 220 plus...it's a rocket.

The two of us have just finished building his car....not bad for a cow cockie

Squiggles
30th June 2005, 07:54
Prerequisites for Full course:

1. That you are the holder of a Class 6 Restricted licence.

2. That you are the holder of a Class 1 Full licence and have held that licence for more than 2 years.

3. That you have a clean record of driving.

No 2 eliminates any chance for me :( i dont even have my car learners ><

Krusti
30th June 2005, 07:58
Prerequisites for Full course:

No 2 eliminates any chance for me :( i dont even have my car learners ><Stupid thing is you are probably allready a better driver than those cage drivers!

Squiggles
8th July 2005, 09:21
tell me about it!... but i think these holidays are a good time to go and do my scratch and win test :P do you get time off or anything from your car license for having a higher class of your bike license?

Blackbird
8th July 2005, 11:55
http://www.yellow.co.nz/site/fischerandassociatesltd/. That's the Hamilton motorcycle traing school. I put myself through Ward Fischer' Advanced course about 3 years ago to see what bad habits I'd picked up. Best thing I'd done in years! From memory, it was over 3 hours of 1:1 instruction. The part I enjoyed most was emergency braking. At the end of the session, I'd got the 'bird braking so hard that my wrist and elbow joints were creaking!

Geoff