PDA

View Full Version : Rego on hold

lone_slayer
8th May 2011, 09:16
Hi just a quick note I would be interested in knowing if this has happend to anyone else....

I just put my rego on hold using the online website, I owed bout a month of rego and it let me put it on hold for free.. Last time i went on hold I did it at the post shop and I had to pay for the time that had not been regod before I could put it on hold.
Is this a fault with the website or will I get sent out a bill for the month of rego or will I have to pay when I re-rego.

Hopefully its a "fault" with the online system and a few more kiwibikers can make the most of it....

lone_slayer
8th May 2011, 09:18
Just a add on it does say on the website...

If you don't have a current licence/exemption, the exemption starts from the application date (First you may have to pay any outstanding licensing fees).

So iam thinking yay for me it didnt make me pay.... and other stuff ive done on there I had to pay with my credit card b4 I could finish...

DR650gary
8th May 2011, 09:34
Just a add on it does say on the website...

If you don't have a current licence/exemption, the exemption starts from the application date (First you may have to pay any outstanding licensing fees).

So iam thinking yay for me it didnt make me pay.... and other stuff ive done on there I had to pay with my credit card b4 I could finish...

I just think the website is more forgiving and the person touch is more of a WACK.

We have also done what you have done and there was no issue when we went back in later and reregistered.

lone_slayer
8th May 2011, 09:36
awesome thats great news..... Come on everyone who hasnt gotten around to regoing for a while time to put it on hold.... and not have to back pay ur rego :yes:

I HOPE

dogsnbikes
8th May 2011, 09:43
I just ring them up and its never cost me anything even if I have beeen out of rego..

The post office will be admin fees

Maha
8th May 2011, 09:51
Post the website link.
I need to extend the Yamaha rego on hold because I have a buyer and they dont care if its on hold. Its due in a few days anyway.

crazyhorse
8th May 2011, 09:52
Maybe doing it in person, the agency takes a fee for ever they can.... I've done mine online for the last two times, and I know I was a bit late the first time - but not a month.

Corse1
8th May 2011, 09:59
It only costs you if you leave it longer than the allowed time for notification and not sure what that is.
You can put rego on hold a month after expirey (like i just did recently) and costs nothing online or at VTNZ. If you choose to register the bike before three months is up from the time of expirey (not when you put it on hold) then you pay backdated to the expirey date:angry:

I thought you have until the date when your rego actually totally lapses and need a new plate, to put a vehicle on hold at no cost.

MSTRS
8th May 2011, 11:24
It only costs you if you leave it longer than the allowed time for notification and not sure what that is.
You can put rego on hold a month after expirey (like i just did recently) and costs nothing online or at VTNZ. If you choose to register the bike before three months is up from the time of expirey (not when you put it on hold) then you pay backdated to the expirey date:angry:

I thought you have until the date when your rego actually totally lapses and need a new plate, to put a vehicle on hold at no cost.

Nope. The meter is ticking from the moment your current rego expires. There is a grace period (probably 28 days after first being due) where you won't be charged back rego.

Hopeful Bastard
8th May 2011, 12:06
Post the website link.
I need to extend the Yamaha rego on hold because I have a buyer and they dont care if its on hold. Its due in a few days anyway.

Here ya go :)

https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/LicensingExemption/entry.aspx

8th May 2011, 18:25
I have a rooted shoulder and will be having an op which will keep me off the bike for 3-6 months.
If i put the rego on hold online do i just re instate it online when ready?

Hopeful Bastard
8th May 2011, 18:32
I have a rooted shoulder and will be having an op which will keep me off the bike for 3-6 months.

Uhm.. Not too sure on that one. I know you can Re-License (Register) your vehicles online. But to license them after coming off a hold... I'm not too sure..

I'd be surprised if you couldn't though.

Corse1
8th May 2011, 18:37
Nope. The meter is ticking from the moment your current rego expires. There is a grace period (probably 28 days after first being due) where you won't be charged back rego.

bugger....i must have lucked in then

Hugo Nougo
9th May 2011, 00:54
I've just re-registered after being on hold for 3 months, I did it online and got 13 months rego for the price of 12. You will get a notice approximately a month before the hold runs out, if you check online around that time a month before the hold runs out you'll see it back dated to the end of your last rego one day and the next day your new rego will start from the end of the hold period. It may have been a glitch but I registered the bike 3 weeks ago and it's registered till the 12th may 2012. If you have 2 bikes and don't mind alternating it may be possible to get 2 free months in 6.
I'll check the bill as soon as I find it but i'm pretty sure it was the standard 12 month rate for under 600cc. Anyway must get back to watching the sbk's.

MSTRS
9th May 2011, 09:04
Uhm.. Not too sure on that one. I know you can Re-License (Register) your vehicles online. But to license them after coming off a hold... I'm not too sure..

I'd be surprised if you couldn't though.

Just need a credit card. Or maybe one of those new-fangled debit cards.

DR650gary
9th May 2011, 09:08

In short, yes. If the reg is due now, put in on hold for 3 months, then extend again after 3 months. If you put it back on the road inside the first 3 months, they will back date to the initial expiry date, after 3 months, you can register it any time once you have a wof from that date. We put at least one bike on hold every year over the winter and haven't had an issue yet. So far :shit:

MSTRS
9th May 2011, 09:12
In short, yes. If the reg is due now, put in on hold for 3 months, then extend again after 3 months. If you put it back on the road inside the first 3 months, they will back date to the initial expiry date, after 3 months, you can register it any time once you have a wof from that date. We put at least one bike on hold every year over the winter and haven't had an issue yet. So far :shit:

Can you do that? I thought On Hold is in force for 12 months but can be 'lifted' anytime after 3 months without the rego being backdated . The Wof is a good point - must have one to renew rego.

DR650gary
10th May 2011, 08:54
Can you do that? I thought On Hold is in force for 12 months but can be 'lifted' anytime after 3 months without the rego being backdated . The Wof is a good point - must have one to renew rego.

Nope, minimum 3 months. If you go back on the road inside the first 3, then it is backdated, after that, starts whenever you decide, you just have to keep putting it on hold.

Cheers

ukusa
10th May 2011, 09:08
Nope, minimum 3 months. If you go back on the road inside the first 3, then it is backdated, after that, starts whenever you decide, you just have to keep putting it on hold.

Cheers

just put mine on hold yesterday for 3 months. Yes, 3 is minimum, but it would only let me do 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. Couldn't choose a number in between (I wanted 4 months). It may be different online as to going in to a post office?

DR650gary
10th May 2011, 18:08
just put mine on hold yesterday for 3 months. Yes, 3 is minimum, but it would only let me do 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. Couldn't choose a number in between (I wanted 4 months). It may be different online as to going in to a post office?

Do the 3 months, then again for 3 but go back after 1 and you have your 4.

Cheers

Hopeful Bastard
10th May 2011, 21:39
Do the 3 months, then again for 3 but go back after 1 and you have your 4.

Cheers

Possible.... But wouldn't you get charged back to the time you put the Rego on hold for the second time???

:confused:

ukusa
10th May 2011, 22:27
Possible.... But wouldn't you get charged back to the time you put the Rego on hold for the second time???

the back of my renewal letter says "If a vehicle with an exemption from licensing is licensed before the minimum 3 month period has ended, licensing fees will be payable from the date the last licence/exemption expired"

DR650gary
11th May 2011, 07:56

We have done it for the last few years with at least one bike and have never had a problem, as long as the first 3 month period is completed. Have had the Cagiva off the road for 4 months before, no problem.

Cheers

Corse1
12th May 2011, 07:14
We have done it for the last few years with at least one bike and have never had a problem, as long as the first 3 month period is completed. Have had the Cagiva off the road for 4 months before, no problem.

Cheers

yep this has been my experience also..

short-circuit
12th May 2011, 08:35
Just a question:

If I put a bike on hold with say 5 months of Rego remaining, do I lose the 5 months I had...In other words: Is it better to wait until your current rego period has nearly lapsed before putting it on hold?

DR650gary
12th May 2011, 09:36
Just a question:

If I put a bike on hold with say 5 months of Rego remaining, do I lose the 5 months I had...In other words: Is it better to wait until your current rego period has nearly lasped before putting it on hold?

I have not done it but did ask and they indicated that I had to de-register the bike to get any money back, then re vin later.

Just use the 5 months up. If the bike is going and you are also going, why not!

mazz1972
12th May 2011, 14:39
I struck a strange situation when I tried to renew hubby's rego which had been on exemption.

He has a bike used offroad so rego is on exemption. He decided to do an adventure ride so we went all proper like and did a WOF and then I went to the post shop to reregister it for two weeks only - and what a debarcle that turned out to be!! Three trips to post shop and two phonecalls by me to NZTA later, I finally had the rego sticker in my hot hand!

If I remember rightly (no guarantees there!) there seems to be an anomoly if a rego has been on exemption for more than three months in total, but the last renewal was less than three months ago AND you don't want to pay for less than three months rego. That request *does not compute* in the post shop computers and post shop staff have to phone their helpdesk to get it tweaked in the system. (I don't know whether AA or VTNZ have the same problem).

Interestingly, I asked NZTA about the minimum time a vehicle can be registered for. Provided the you fill in the appropriate form to change the expiry date of your registration (and if on exemption, the initial three months is up), you can register the vehicle for as little as one day.