PDA

View Full Version : Honda 2010 VTR250 Review

Bowlch
9th May 2011, 13:28
Honda VTR250 2010 Review

Firstly I must let you guys knows I am a brand new rider who has only had his L plates since March. So apologies for any discrepancies / amateur behavior from now on ;-)

Having spoken to Todd at Motomart Wellington, I decided to choose a Honda VTR250 over a Ninja. Mainly due to the fear of having to replace fairings and also the ride height/position seemed more suitable on the Honda. I ended up spending $8500 for the bike (63km’s on the clock), helmet, gloves, trousers, boots and jacket.

Anyway, having got the paperwork completed and gathering the correct safety gear I headed out onto the streets and have hardly left it since!

ENGINE:

The compact iquid-cooled 250cc V-twin engine has decent acceleration, and I’ve had no trouble pulling away from the lights without hardly trying. At 100kp/h the revs hang around 6500. So cruising along doesn’t sound like a stabbed cat. The engine has most torque around the 5000-9000rpm range.

BRAKES:

Up front there is a single 296mm disc with twin piston Nissin calliper. At the rear there is a 220mm single piston Nissin calliper. They have both been able to stop me quick enough in all circumstances so far.

SUSPENSION:

This is the one area of the bike that seems to be a (minor) let down. Non adjustable front fork and a rear mono-shock do the job, but certainly isn’t anything special, but then again on a starter 250cc bike who can complain. The rear shock is adjustable via a threaded collar, but to alter this you need to remove the seat and pull back a rubber flap.

RIDE:

Riding around on the VTR I feel very secure and in charge. It has a 776mm seat height, and I can easily get both feet down at the lights. Having a kerb weight of 161kg combined with the broad bars and low centre of gravity means throwing the VTR around corners is great fun! I can’t help but grin when going over the Rimutakas!

The one thing I’m not 100% happy with are the mirrors, I cant quite get them angled correctly as the range available is quite limited. But with a tiny lean of the head, visibility improves dramatically.

FUEL EFFICIENCY:

The tank has a capacity of 13 litres total. I have managed to average around 300km between fill ups, and that was with me not trying to be fuel efficient ;-) So all in all a very fuel efficient bike.

MODS:

Since purchasing the bike I have had very little altered. I recently had some Oxford Hot Grips installed, as well as a tank protector. Some frame sliders are being ordered soon just in case. Also there's some red rim tape in the post, but god knows when that will arrive.

CONCLUSION:

Personally I have found this little V-Twin to be a fantastic learner bike. Not too powerful, yet enough grunt to make me grin from ear to ear. Ride positioning is comfortable, allowing excellent visibility.

For those wanting to see video. Here is a link from a few weeks past going over the Rimutakas. Apologies for the ride, I promise I've improved since then :-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DG48tRXdWA&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Beren
9th May 2011, 14:15
Honda VTR250 2010 Review...

Good review... if you remember an update in 6 months to update on any issues and what you think of it once the newbie shine has worn off would be cool.

That is also pretty damn good mileage - I'm getting about 200km's a tank on my Bandit, I didn't realise just how much thirstier it was than a newer VTR. (That's on 12 litres before reserve.) I think mine is probably being a little thirsty - but probably being a little heavy handed on the motorway doesn't help.

Bowlch
9th May 2011, 14:37
I'll pop it on my calendar now to remind me :-)

FlangMasterJ
11th May 2011, 21:18
Congrats!

My brother had one. They do everything right the VTR.

davebullet
11th May 2011, 22:03
Nice photos. Worthy of a magazine.

Our 2007 also would get 300+ kms per tank. In fact my better half would consistently get 300kms out of 11 litres when the reserve kicked in. She maxed it at 330kms before filling up (chickening out as I call it - you have to run out of fuel at least once up the Ngauranaga Gorge, but that is another story....)

Husaria
7th June 2011, 15:29
I'm a noob without a bike yet but I REALLY like the VTR250... Any thoughts on it for a learner such as myself?

Thanks in advance!

Jonny

tigertim20
7th June 2011, 16:12
The VTR is an excellent learner bike. go for it.

Husaria
7th June 2011, 16:39
Thanks for the quick reply, I've been trawling the forums for a while now and decided to join so I can participate once I find a bike with my name on it.

Love the naked look of the VTR. Should I spend all the monies and get a new shiny one or go for second hand? Spada/GSF also look nice but I have no idea of the real differences apart from age.

I commute from Auckland city to Titirangi, and always against traffic (laughing at the people not going anywhere in the opposite direction as I glide by), hardly use the m'way so prob won't on the bike either?

Thanks again, I can't wait to actually get one and stop being a wannabe...

BTW, really helpful reading your review Bowlch, I've heard nothing but good things about the VTR as a learner machine, had a geez at your vids too! :rockon:

jaffaonajappa
7th June 2011, 23:16
Thanks for the quick reply, I've been trawling the forums for a while now and decided to join so I can participate once I find a bike with my name on it.

Hi Husaria - welcome to KB!
You have read the KB sections focused on the new riders and recommended bikes?
Quite a few people on here recommend someones Very First bike to be a basic and cheapish one. Dont be in a rush to hit motorways - get some skills up at lower speeds first. After a few weeks/months you may want a better 250.

Ok, some people recommend getting a brand new fully faired 9k 250. /Sigh.

Personally, im loving the wee YZF R15.

good luck in your thread search. Theres heaps of info in here!!

cursivelogic
29th July 2011, 19:21
Thanks for the review! I'm currently looking for a second bike (upgrading from a scooter), and I think the VFR 250 is just what I'm looking for~

Sable
30th July 2011, 03:04
Love the naked look of the VTR. Should I spend all the monies and get a new shiny one or go for second hand? Spada/GSF also look nice but I have no idea of the real differences apart from age.
As far as I'm aware the VTR is a detuned Spada motor with one less gear and a trellis rather than alloy beam frame. All the variants rock.

baffa
28th September 2011, 09:43
Nice little write up.

I bought a 2000 VTR250 a few months back, and have been riding it ever since.

It seems the differences between the years are pretty minor, bar the later models getting fuel injection and a prettier cluster. A second hand one makes more sense to me, seing as it is just over half the price for mine compared to new, and mine had only 25K on the clock when I got it. If you are buying it to learn on, keep in mind you will probably want to upgrade in 2 years time, so spending all that money on a new bike seems a waste, considering as a learner there's a good chance it will get dropped.

I would have to say it is the perfect learner bike. Seeing as someone who is my height (6'2) can fit on it comfortably, and it still has a low enough seat height for shorter riders, it suits just about any shape.
It may not be the cheapest option, and it may be the Hornet's slightly lower spec little brother, but I really rate it.

The 250 hornet has a 4 cylinder motor and slightly better spec, and a big ass rear tyre for a 250, but the V-twin is a better motor for everything but the quatermile imo.

It does have decent torque for a little motor, but I've found spirited runs through the twisties do mean you have to keep the motor on the boil to get the best out of it. But that's what riding a 250 in anger is all about.

The brakes are pretty damn effective too.
I've had to emergency stop a couple of times already due to dumbass cagers, and it will stop quickly, and behave quite nicely too, as long as you dont mind the tail wagging a little bit. :innocent:

I think the only thing I would change is improving the look of the front of the bike. It looks great from every other angle.

otter
28th September 2011, 14:28
I just watched the video...are those the original handlebars?

Bowlch
28th September 2011, 20:26
I just watched the video...are those the original handlebars?

Yes they are.