PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for Greg!

SlashWylde
29th June 2005, 10:28
Victim asks young drivers to slow down

"(Greg) Murphy wants to see big changes to NZ road rules, including raising the legal driving age, harsher penalties for speeding, better driver training and power rating vehicles for new drivers so they can't go too fast."

Full article:
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/423466/594359/

zadok
29th June 2005, 10:44
I suspect you are being tongue in cheek with your thread (fair unuf). Better driver training is probably the best suggestion. Whatever rules get changed it still doesn't seem to stop the young male testosterone going rampant when he has a bunch of his mates in his car. I've seen car loads of boys doing crazy things in small cars...not just in V8's. Legislation only goes so far.

bear
29th June 2005, 11:24
I agree that crazy things can be done in any type of vehicle, but surely limiting the power that a vehicle has is a positive. I would say it limits the potential damage as higher speeds are less able to be achieved.

Agree that training and education can go a long way, but the culture is what needs changing regardless of legislative controls.

Big Dave
29th June 2005, 11:26
I agree that crazy things can be done in any type of vehicle, but surely limiting the power that a vehicle has is a positive. I would say it limits the potential damage as higher speeds are less able to be achieved.

OK - so we apply the same formula and ban R1's, gixxers and fireblades?
Where do you draw the line?

Hitcher
29th June 2005, 11:36
Get back in your box, number 51.

bear
29th June 2005, 11:40

My comment was in the context of the thread, being young drivers.

XTC
29th June 2005, 12:06
A "new" rider can't legally ride an R1 etc Dave.

dhunt
29th June 2005, 12:16
What's a young driver? Legally I was allowed to ride 1L bikes since I was 17 and I'm sure lots of people on here would have got a full license since they were 15. My cousin's use to take their dad's 750 for rides when they were 13-14 without any problems etc.

XTC
29th June 2005, 12:25
What's a young driver? Legally I was allowed to ride 1L bikes since I was 17 and I'm sure lots of people on here would have got a full license since they were 15. My cousin's use to take their dad's 750 for rides when they were 13-14 without any problems etc.
That's rather irresponsible of your uncle then isn't it? Hey should I teach my kids to totally disregard the laws by which our society exists? Maybe he was hoping they'd do themselves in? :nono:

Lou Girardin
29th June 2005, 12:26
Harsher penalties for speeding?
What? Summary execution for 11 k's over?
We already have one of the harshest enforcement regimes in the world and it hasn't made one scrap of difference, we're killing ourselves as efficiently as ever.
Training and experience reduces accidents, that's why the cop didn't die under the campervan last week.

dhunt
29th June 2005, 12:59
That's rather irresponsible of your uncle then isn't it? Hey should I teach my kids to totally disregard the laws by which our society exists? Maybe he was hoping they'd do themselves in? :nono:
Actually I'd say no. All my cousins have been riding bikes since they were probably about 6-7 and quite experienced. But this is all beside the point, which was young doesn't mean inexperenced.

Why should people over 25 get their license time periods shortened etc. Hopefully they don't delibratry (sp) do stupid things when they have mates in the cage/bike with them but they will be in the same boat as the 15 yr old probably when it comes to an emgency.

Beemer
29th June 2005, 14:22
It was interesting to watch that item on tv, but I found I had little sympathy for the late driver or for the idiot who survived. Very easy for him to say - with no fear of contradiction - "I told him he was going too fast for that corner because I know that road" and "I asked him to please slow down". I'm sorry, but am I the only one to find those statements a little trite now the guy is dead? By the sound of it he was an accident waiting to happen - been disqualified before, had numerous speeding and other driving offences under his belt, known for driving fast, etc. Hello, but what was this guy doing in the car with him in the first place? If he was his best mate, why had he not had this chat with him before, and if he had, why did he continue getting in the car with him, knowing what he was like?

It's hard to know what the answer is (and getting a driving 'celebrity' involved isn't going to make any difference) - some people get their licence, drive/ride responsibly and never have an accident or do anything stupid. Others have their licence five minutes and kill someone. As long as there are people who think driving like a racing driver on the open road is cool, there will be accidents like this. Speed itself doesn't kill (if it did, every F1 driver would be dead), inappropriate speed, lack of skill and a whole bunch of other factors including weather, alertness, etc. CONTRIBUTE to accidents - they don't CAUSE them.

I'm not sure about raising the age, but perhaps making the test more practical rather than just theory could help. Limiting the engine size is a nice thought, but I wonder if it makes any difference - you can still kill yourself in a 1300 and some of the smaller cars are just as quick as those with larger engines. Perhaps if we banned spotty beanie wearers and those who wear their caps backwards from driving it would be a start! :whistle:

vifferman
29th June 2005, 14:46
Hooray.

For Greg.

Sorry - who's Greg, :spudwhat: and why are we hooraying him again? :confused:

Big Dave
29th June 2005, 15:02

Yeah - wasn't having a go. I just like anarchy.

bear
29th June 2005, 15:41
Hooray. For Greg.

Greg is Greg Murphy by the look of the first post, and we are hooraying as he is advocating for measures tackling poor driver education/skills/attitude amongst young & inexperienced drivers that lead to unncessary accidents and deaths.

JohnBoy
29th June 2005, 15:43
good idea to limit power to noobies in cages, but it dosent detract from the fact that any vehicle is dangerous at any speed.

SlashWylde
29th June 2005, 16:49
Hooray.

For Greg.

You're not being a little disingenuous there are you Vifferman :Pokey: