PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Bandit 1200?

BASS-TREBLE
11th May 2011, 15:22
I'm thinking about possible bikes to get possibly after winter and I like the sound of a later model 1200 Bandit due the simplicity and torque.

I would like some thoughts from past or current owners giving the good and the bad.

I know that they are basically bored out GSXR oilboilers so they are pretty much bullet proof.
What are things the main things that go wrong with the B12s, if anything?

Has anyone done a S to naked conversion? I prefer the look of the naked front end but there don't seem to be too many around, if any.
I'm sure it can't be all that hard but would like to hear from some that have done it.

Also, what things should I plan to invest in? Other than exhaust and jetkits?

Cheers guys

ellipsis
11th May 2011, 15:29
...never heard anything but good about them..a friend sold his to upgrade to a new machine,,,ended up going back to the fellow he sold it to and pleaded with him to sell it back to him..got it to..its also naked...he,s a very happy chappy on his old and trusted jappy, again...

banditrider
11th May 2011, 20:00
I did 44,000k's on a K2 and 20,000 odd on a K6. My only mods were for gear carrying and a muffler. Never had any mechanical issues. Economical, grunty and fun. Cheap basic tourer. Rode my mate's K6 (70,000+ km) the other day and it still put a grin on my face. Have seen one with 186,000km on it - I don't think that they can die...

AllanB
11th May 2011, 20:03
Also have a look at the GS1200ss - basically the bandit engine.

I enjoyed mine :yes: Seen a naked one - looks cool.

yachtie10
11th May 2011, 20:08
seen a few nakeds around
had one great bike

try this site for what you can do with them as far as performance
http://www.holeshot.com/

chanceyy
11th May 2011, 20:09
Love mine, great for touring, (after a seat mod) really enjoy the roll on power & the engine braking, a very flickable machine :)

I have found it to be a rather forgiving bike of my wee mistakes !! :innocent: (and before everyone jumps on the bandwagon I learnt the lesssons)

have been fortunate to ride a few bikes over the last few yrs and yet my bandit still makes me smile as soon as I jump on ;)

Hitcher
11th May 2011, 21:02
Suzuki made millions of them. Often copied by other manufacturers, rarely beaten.

mulletman
11th May 2011, 21:21
They came out naked :yes:, what about a GSX1400:woohoo: oil boiler, naked, fully adjustable suspension front and rear (12s arent) 124nm of torque from 2500rpm:shit:

jaffaonajappa
12th May 2011, 00:14
wellllll......what about an 80's Katana or GSX? - And then spend some dollars on it..... a unique bullet proof sport/tourer vs yet-another-bandit?

BASS-TREBLE
12th May 2011, 10:23
Thanks for the input guys. So long story short there is nothing to worry about.

wellllll......what about an 80's Katana or GSX? - And then spend some dollars on it..... a unique bullet proof sport/tourer vs yet-another-bandit?

Mate don't get me started, I'm trying so bloody hard to buy a bike i can leave at least semi stock. My current FZR has every part you can think of fiddled with :innocent:

Banditbandit
12th May 2011, 12:24
I have a naked 650 Bandit (K5 oil-boiler) and a faired 1250 (injected liquid-cooled). Love them both - stunningly fun bikes ... no problems at all. I have a friend with a 1200 - done around 150,000ks on it and all he's done is changed the plugs, oils, tyres and chain ... he's had no issues at all ...

The only negative thing I've ever heard about Bandits was a guy I met who sold his because "it was too good" ...

jaffaonajappa
12th May 2011, 21:32
I met who sold his because "it was too good" ...

I can kinda relate to that. Assuming we are talking about Sole/Main bike - its a love affair really isnt it? something exciting.....keeps the ticker turning over......Otherwise we would all be riding R series Beemers or Hondas :P

I sold my Kwaka 600 for a guzzi Sport, years ago. slower, heavier, Farrr less reliable, but goddamn it was a satisfying ride.

imdying
13th May 2011, 11:40
Bandit 1200s any good... well, I've never ridden one, but I can tell you that I've yet to come across anyone who didn't enjoy them; even the UK sportsbikes magazines, and they're pretty hard on anything that doesn't conform to their tastes. Given that, I imagine they're a hoot.

terbang
13th May 2011, 11:47
Did 40K on a 98 1200, Europe, Australia and NZ. One of the best bikes I've owned and ridden. Bullet proof with lots of mega grin factor and I wish I had it now.:yes:

BASS-TREBLE
13th May 2011, 21:26
Well the feedback is just getting better and better isn't it.

So what are the common mods to make it just that little bit better?

Seats?
Exhausts?
What else?

Hitcher
13th May 2011, 21:45
Heated grips
Suspenders
Screen, if it's faired

banditrider
13th May 2011, 21:48
Or time for some piccys?

Only mods I did were mufflers and luggage (pack rack on the K2 and Givi panniers & topbox on the K6). Actually the same muffler was on both Bandits and is now on my mate's one...

Pussy
13th May 2011, 22:11
I'm thinking about possible bikes to get possibly after winter and I like the sound of a later model 1200 Bandit due the simplicity and torque.

I would like some thoughts from past or current owners giving the good and the bad.

I know that they are basically bored out GSXR oilboilers so they are pretty much bullet proof.
What are things the main things that go wrong with the B12s, if anything?

Has anyone done a S to naked conversion? I prefer the look of the naked front end but there don't seem to be too many around, if any.
I'm sure it can't be all that hard but would like to hear from some that have done it.

Also, what things should I plan to invest in? Other than exhaust and jetkits?

Cheers guys

There is a nice Pommy spec naked Bandit 1200 in New Plymouth Motorcycles at the moment. It's immaculate.
Full power jobby, too

AllanB
13th May 2011, 22:51
Mods.

Pipe usually.

Decent tyres.

After that it's all yours!

Hitcher
13th May 2011, 23:14
Goodness me. I forgot "muffler". I suppose that could be because I had a Leo Vince SBK fitted prior to riding the Not-Technically-A-Bandit out of the dealer's showroom. Perhaps.

blackdog
13th May 2011, 23:32
Suzuki made millions of them. Often copied by other manufacturers, rarely beaten.

Have had bandits. Hard to beat.

MaxCannon
14th May 2011, 00:19
I had a 1999 Mk1 Bandit 600S

Previous owner had fitted braided brake lines and stiffer fork springs.
I fitted better brake pads and Pilot Rd 2s
Everything else was stock.

As a do everything, cheap and reliable bike it was excellent.
A doddle to ride anywhere, great in traffic, good on the open the road and pretty capable at the track.

I think the only issue I had on mine was a fuel leak from the fuel tap.
Didn't stop the bike, just caused it to run rich till the tap was replaced.

Maki
15th May 2011, 09:21
Seems like a nice bike. What I might like is an updated version of this:

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bike/gsf650l0/

Is any bike along those lines available with fuel injection, 600cc (for ACC rules) and a diet (weight cut down to about 200kg instead of 240kg)?

Hitcher
15th May 2011, 12:14
Is any bike along those lines available with fuel injection, 600cc (for ACC rules) and a diet (weight cut down to about 200kg instead of 240kg)?

You're missing the point. That's a bit like asking if Harley Davidson makes a light bike with ground clearance, sharp steering, decent brakes, and an inline four.

Maki
15th May 2011, 15:45
Thanks, H. I sort of suspected that.

Stylo
17th May 2011, 18:47
And I always wondered why my old '95 Bandit had an eta at the crank of 90 something Hp's when the Hayabusa , with only a few more CC's ...doubles the HP and increased torque to boot. Acknowledge the compression ratio difference but ...surely there's more to it ...fuelling ? , mapping ?

Maybe a few more things too equalled the price difference, it's all in the R&D I guess...

imdying
18th May 2011, 09:26
And I always wondered why my old '95 Bandit had an eta at the crank of 90 something Hp's when the Hayabusa , with only a few more CC's ...doubles the HP and increased torque to boot. Acknowledge the compression ratio difference but ...surely there's more to it ...fuelling ? , mapping ?

Maybe a few more things too equalled the price difference, it's all in the R&D I guess...Shape of the torque curve, and at a guess, the height of the red line.

White trash
18th May 2011, 09:44

Maybe a few more things too equalled the price difference, it's all in the R&D I guess...

By your reckoning, because a 250gp bike has 100hp (or thereabouts), your GSXR1000 should therefore produce 400hp.

Doesn't quite work like that..........

jaffaonajappa
18th May 2011, 16:56
my two litre POS car does 100hp.
my one litre bike does 100hp.
Most 600's now do well over 100hp.

Its almost like HP has more inputs than Only CC's?

Stylo
18th May 2011, 18:57
By your reckoning, because a 250gp bike has 100hp (or thereabouts), your GSXR1000 should therefore produce 400hp.

Doesn't quite work like that..........

Keep taking the tab's White Trash, Doh !

Your figure's , not mine ...seems you've missed the point completely...

nzspokes
24th March 2012, 18:16
I sat on one of these today. Really nice.

So one with 60ks on it is just run in then?

BASS-TREBLE
24th March 2012, 19:17
I sat on one of these today. Really nice.

So one with 60ks on it is just run in then?

Yeah nearly, due for it's first oil change too

nzspokes
24th March 2012, 19:21
Yeah nearly, due for it's first oil change too

It just seemed a bit cheap for what it is. But then I looked and they all seem to go for about the same. Not a bike thats been on my radar before. Went to look at a CB1300, but this looks more practical. Bit lighter to.

ellipsis
24th March 2012, 19:35
...my mate sold his , got another marque, went in search of his old bike and successfully bought it back, happiness restored..

nzspokes
7th April 2012, 22:39
Any problem areas to look for on a bandit 1200? They seem pretty solid.

BASS-TREBLE
8th April 2012, 10:39
The only main thing is the 2001 models had an oil burning issue but this was recalled so there is a high chance it was fixed by the owner at the time. They should have receipts if this is the case.

Other than that nothing bandit specific that I can think of at the moment, just be sure it was regularly serviced etc.

mrchips
9th April 2012, 08:35
The only main thing is the 2001 models had an oil burning issue but this was recalled .... just be sure it was regularly serviced etc.

+ 1

Traded my old cbr1000f for a 02 's' model & using as a commuter bike. Cheaper to run than my CBR + just love the torque wave of the 1200.

Valve adjustments required every 12,000km. 'Screw & lock nut' type so can do yourself in a couple of hours if you are mechanically minded keeping maintenance costs down.

I've been told these bikes are uber reliable.

Usefull Bandit info found here .....Link to Bandit forum (http://www.banditforum.co.uk/forum/)

rustic101
9th April 2012, 09:49
You may also want to check this Aussie site out too. A very useful resource with a few Kiwis thrown into the mix. Also has links to other Bandit sites.

http://nswbandits.forumotion.net/

nzspokes
14th May 2012, 20:18
What kinda Ks do you Bandit riders get out of a tank?

Hitcher
14th May 2012, 20:31

Depends on the Bandit and its tank size. 15 litres (4 in reserve in a 19 litre tank) drizzled through a GSX1250FA L0 averaging 20l/km is 300km. Easy. Mrs H's GSF650S K6 does better economy but her fuel pick-up means that her Bandit has fuelling issues before its Big Blue Cousin does.

nzspokes
14th May 2012, 20:35
Depends on the Bandit and its tank size. 15 litres (4 in reserve in a 19 litre tank) drizzled through a GSX1250FA L0 averaging 20l/km is 300km. Easy. Mrs H's GSF650S K6 does better economy but her fuel pick-up means that her Bandit has fuelling issues before its Big Blue Cousin does.

The one im thinking about is a 2000. It sounds better than my 400.

rustic101
14th May 2012, 20:39

There are some variables with this the main one is how you ride her. If you open her up expect a lower fuel return, then again most Bandit riders don't by a 1200 or 1250 for the fuel economy ;) You will love the torque :)

nzspokes
14th May 2012, 20:53
There are some variables with this the main one is how you ride her. If you open her up expect a lower fuel return, then again most Bandit riders don't by a 1200 or 1250 for the fuel economy ;) You will love the torque :)

Realize that but getting a general idea. But I would have thought having one wheel in the air would improve economy. :eek:

v twin
14th May 2012, 20:57
I rode with a guy who had a jetted/exhaust b12 and it flew.... definately held its own (just)with 5 other sports bikes round the smaller roads, pretty bloody good when you could pile a heap of luggage and the family on it to.

Yep ridden hard it was always in the gas station before my fuel light even thought about coming on.

I rode it to...seemed to love the front wheel in the air, not trying but it seemed to come natural on that machine.

Only other thing a know about them apart from the fact that it was bullet proof is if your gona ride it hard then watch the ground clearance when cornering, at least that one seemed to hit pegs early. great fun bike!!!

FJRider
14th May 2012, 20:58
... But I would have thought having one wheel in the air would improve economy. :eek:

No ... more drag ... :shifty:

But it does reduce front tyre wear, so the opportunity to save is still there ... :laugh:

banditrider
15th May 2012, 19:55
I used to get 270-300km from the 20L tanks on my K2 & K6 Bandits. Most was about 330km - put 19.8L back into the tank...

K6 average economy over 44,500km was 5.8L/100km, K6 was 6L/100km over 20,000km.

BASS-TREBLE
15th May 2012, 20:33
I get 6l/100km regularly on mine. K6, stage 1 and Slip on. Mainly commuting, not being a nana but trying to stay within the law most times.

I'm running slighly rich throughout the rev range (in exchange for torque) so if I were to adjust that it would be in the 5's for sure.

nzspokes
15th May 2012, 20:39
Is there much difference between a 2000 and 2002? They appear to look the same.

nzspokes
26th May 2012, 18:36
Ok, looks like Bandit it is. Ive got one lined up depending on sorting the deal and test ride. God it sounds good with its flash can.

Questions

Are the headlights good?

What petrol grade to run them on?

Will hot girls swoon when they see me on it?

banditrider
26th May 2012, 18:54
You were looking at a bug-eye weren't you? If so, lights not too bad but not sure how easy they are to upgrade...

A guy accidentally ran his on diesel during a GC a few years back...I was too mean to put in anything other than 91...

Will you have a full face helmet on?

Damantis
26th May 2012, 18:59
Ok, looks like Bandit it is. Ive got one lined up depending on sorting the deal and test ride. God it sounds good with its flash can.

Questions

Are the headlights good?

What petrol grade to run them on?

Will hot girls swoon when they see me on it?

Liked it immensely tho felt VERY strange jumping from my Fireblade to the Bandit and back. Ergonomics were great, tho I suspect the seat could be better. It had a touring screen which worked well. It didn't feel fast but did feel powerfull! Very flickable and nimble for a big bike, though sitting so upright was a bit disconcerting at first. I don't think hot girls will swoon though. The only thing deterring me from getting one is the "old mans bike" look about them. That's just my taste though.

nzspokes
26th May 2012, 19:39
You were looking at a bug-eye weren't you? If so, lights not too bad but not sure how easy they are to upgrade...

A guy accidentally ran his on diesel during a GC a few years back...I was too mean to put in anything other than 91...

Will you have a full face helmet on?

Yeah its an english K1.

Full face. :killingme

nzspokes
27th May 2012, 22:35
Another question, can you get speedo faces in Ks, bike is from england so its in MPH.

Also found this, made me LOL

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-478483560.htm

Maha
28th May 2012, 07:23
Another question, can you get speedo faces in Ks, bike is from england so its in MPH.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-478483560.htm

Those bars are shit and would have to go but other than...nice.
What the hell is that contraption hanging from the right bar grip region?

nzspokes
28th May 2012, 07:32
Those bars are shit and would have to go but other than...nice.
What the hell is that contraption hanging from the right bar grip region?

Its a oxford throttle cable warmer.

Tigadee
28th May 2012, 10:01

Now that's a real sports cruiser! LOL

A throttle cable warmer? Really? :baby:

nzspokes
28th May 2012, 10:05
Now that's a real sports cruiser! LOL

A throttle cable warmer? Really? :baby:

Yup, they fit them to help control power bands.

Tigadee
28th May 2012, 11:25
Wow, learn something new everyday... Cheers.

Maha
28th May 2012, 17:45
Wow, learn something new everyday... Cheers.

....and square wheels really were invented before round ones.

ellipsis
28th May 2012, 17:53
....and square wheels really were invented before round ones.....

...I have a 17 inch front but am looking for a rear to match...they are becoming like hen's teeth to find....if anyone has one PM me ...

nzspokes
28th May 2012, 20:14
Theres a K1 Bandit in my driveway..........

God its fun.

Madness
28th May 2012, 20:37

Thank fuck for that.

Ender EnZed
28th May 2012, 21:06

God its fun.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Tigadee
28th May 2012, 21:23
Woohoo! :woohoo: Pics! Pics!

nzspokes
28th May 2012, 21:23
Photos will happen when its not pissing down. But top box was fitted in the rain.

Utenz
28th May 2012, 21:54
Will hot girls swoon when they see me on it?[/QUOTE]

No.

EJK
28th May 2012, 22:18
What was the bike you had before? 200cc? How does it feel stepping up?

nzspokes
28th May 2012, 22:20
What was the bike you had before? 200cc? How does it feel stepping up?

Was on 400. And the real problem I had with it was comfort. Bandit solves that with a big hunk of torque.

I cant see needing to change gears much on them.

Tigadee
28th May 2012, 22:23
Photos will happen when its not pissing down. But top box was fitted in the rain.

Make sure you apply that Inox stuff you got the other week generously - keeps the rust away for a looooong time!

banditrider
29th May 2012, 17:53
I cant see needing to change gears much on them.

Just stick it in 5th...

nzspokes
29th May 2012, 18:15
Just stick it in 5th...

Im learning that.

Bikes been modded. Just found Hyabusa shock conversion.

ducatilover
29th May 2012, 18:17
Im learning that.

Bikes been modded. Just found Hyabusa shock conversion.
I think pictures are well overdue mate :mad:

nzspokes
29th May 2012, 18:23
This is the dealers pic. Now has top box. Proper photos will be tomorrow. :clap:

ducatilover
29th May 2012, 18:36
Love the 6 piston callipers!!!!!!:drool:

Fast Eddie
29th May 2012, 19:54
Make sure you apply that Inox stuff you got the other week generously - keeps the rust away for a looooong time!

whats this inox stuff??

the mrs gn rusts like its going out of fashion if it even looks like its going to rain.. trying crc and autosol but its not working, there is already rust on the headlight chrome

Tigadee
29th May 2012, 21:12
whats this inox stuff??

http://www.inox-mx3.com/product_detail.php?productID=3&pageID=APPLICATIONS

I've put this stuff on my new cheap BBQ from The Warehouse on the joints, screws and bolts. I didn't think to put it on the body which has black paint or maybe even glavanising [at least I'd hoped it was].

Now after 3 months, the body has rust spots but the parts I'd applied this stuff on and worried about still look new! :facepalm: Lesson is to apply liberally all over...

pzkpfw
29th May 2012, 21:53
Valve adjustments required every 12,000km. 'Screw & lock nut' type so can do yourself in a couple of hours if you are mechanically minded keeping maintenance costs down.

I like screw and lock over buckets and shims (which scare me shitless) - but 12,000 km seems "often".

Do these two facts apply to the current (2012) models?

nzspokes
29th May 2012, 23:26
So Bandit lovers, what revs are you on in 5th at 100k? I suspect my gearing has been dropped. I think mines about 3200.

Headlights are average, I will try to lift them a little higher. They see a bit spot focused.

It has a stutter at low rpm, or cruising rpm. Dealer said that was normal with the pipe if has. I suspect shes to lean.

Pretty happy with the suspension setup. Best ive ridden. Got to get used to how easy it is to tip in compared to my old bikes.

But my god that motors a gem.

ducatilover
30th May 2012, 00:12
No stutter at any RPM is right.
What RPM is the stutter at? If midrange esque or when you pile on a ton of throttle, lift the needles.

nzspokes
30th May 2012, 06:51
No stutter at any RPM is right.
What RPM is the stutter at? If midrange esque or when you pile on a ton of throttle, lift the needles.

Nah its in the idle circut range. I reckon idle jets to small with the pipe. Its not bad. Its going back to dealer next week for some work and thats one thing they are lookin at. I do wonder if its got a jet kit.

Morcs
30th May 2012, 12:21
I just bought the trade in as my new scooter :)

mrchips
30th May 2012, 18:34
So Bandit lovers, what revs are you on in 5th at 100k? I suspect my gearing has been dropped. I think mines about 3200.

Headlights are average, I will try to lift them a little higher. They see a bit spot focused.

It has a stutter at low rpm, or cruising rpm. Dealer said that was normal with the pipe if has. I suspect shes to lean.

Pretty happy with the suspension setup. Best ive ridden. Got to get used to how easy it is to tip in compared to my old bikes.

But my god that motors a gem.

Mine has a aftermarket scorpion muffler, starts good on choke, idles smooth, silky smooth in any gear at any rpm but it hates 4th gear at 50km /hr @ 2k rpm, stutters like a bastard & just want's to let rip ! It seems to cope better if i leave it in 5th at 50km/hr. I'm suspecting some shit in the pilots.

fyi 100km/hr rpm is approx. 3700.

Jet kits seem to be popular for these bikes but I can't be arsed. They hauls arse like a V8 in any gear / any rpm & fuel economy is great.

pzkpfw, 2007 onwards bandit are bucket / shim. Mine had done 25,000km before i done a valve adj. They where a bit out of spec but not too bad.

nzspokes
30th May 2012, 21:38
Mine has a aftermarket scorpion muffler, starts good on choke, idles smooth, silky smooth in any gear at any rpm but it hates 4th gear at 50km /hr @ 2k rpm, stutters like a bastard & just want's to let rip ! It seems to cope better if i leave it in 5th at 50km/hr. I'm suspecting some shit in the pilots.

Jet kits seem to be popular for these bikes but I can't be arsed. They hauls arse like a V8 in any gear / any rpm & fuel economy is great.

pzkpfw, 2007 onwards bandit are bucket / shim. Mine had done 25,000km before i done a valve adj. They where a bit out of spec but not too bad.

Did a riderskills course for 3 hours on it today. Then went and did SASS. Bikes just awesome.

Cool on the revs.

I may get a jet kit in at some stage but this bike is for riding not working on.

Managed to get some dry corners in today, it handles well.

mrchips
30th May 2012, 22:07
I may get a jet kit in at some stage but this bike is for riding not working on

Amen to that !

Tigadee
30th May 2012, 23:40
I just bought the trade in as my new scooter :)

Congrats! Hope it gives you heaps of enjoyable riding as it did the previous owner...:niceone:

nzspokes
31st May 2012, 18:24
Are there upgraded headlight bulbs for these? It uses a bulb Ive not come across before. My low beam is a bit dim.

Andy67
31st May 2012, 18:31

Maaate what you doing in 4th at 50........

ducatilover
31st May 2012, 18:35
Are there upgraded headlight bulbs for these? It uses a bulb Ive not come across before. My low beam is a bit dim.

No doubt, I can get cheap HID kits for GN250s, so there will be uprated bulbs for the Bandit. :2thumbsup

nzspokes
31st May 2012, 18:41

I reckon if you wanted you could get rid of 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Just use first and 5th. Torque a plenty.....:banana:

banditrider
31st May 2012, 18:53

Because you can on a Bandit - torque! I do the same now on my Connie and sometimes am pulling less than 2,000rpm - no stutter. My DL on the other hand needs 3,000rpm or she misbehaves...

ducatilover
31st May 2012, 18:59

My 600 tootles fine at 50k in 6th :sleep:

neels
31st May 2012, 19:03
My DL on the other hand needs 3,000rpm or she misbehaves...
Strange thing, I've got a ducati that's a bit like that.

Test rode a bandit when I was bike shopping, certainly a lovely flat torque curve, if anything too smooth and not enough kick you in the pants when the power comes on.

Couldn't get past having bars like my trail bike on the thing though, and mrs liked the seat on the duc better than the bandit, so happy wife on the back = more riding time.

Good to see nzspokes has finally found a new bike.....:bleh:

banditrider
31st May 2012, 19:10
My 600 tootles fine at 50k in 6th :sleep:

At the moment?:whistle:

Yep big twins are like that - my VTR was the same.

ducatilover
31st May 2012, 19:19
At the moment?:whistle:

:weep::weep::weep::weep:
Not 'till I put a new reg/rec in it and tune it :mad:

nzspokes
31st May 2012, 19:36

Test rode a bandit when I was bike shopping, certainly a lovely flat torque curve, if anything too smooth and not enough kick you in the pants when the power comes on.

Couldn't get past having bars like my trail bike on the thing though, and mrs liked the seat on the duc better than the bandit, so happy wife on the back = more riding time.

Good to see nzspokes has finally found a new bike.....:bleh:

Nothing flat about my one, With the mods ive found and the pilot screw adjuster covers drilled out I suspect some tuning. Then again its only 800cc bigger than my last bike.

I may drop some flat bars on mine later on. I dont like the set back of the stock ones.

But back to the bulbs, are they a standard type?

nzspokes
31st May 2012, 19:37
:weep::weep::weep::weep:
Not 'till I put a new reg/rec in it and tune it :mad:

Dont worry, after a shower I will parcel it up for you and book the courier. :niceone:

I did look up where you were just in case it was riding distance.....

ducatilover
31st May 2012, 19:40

I thought they'd be H4?

ducatilover
31st May 2012, 19:42
Dont worry, after a shower I will parcel it up for you and book the courier. :niceone:

I did look up where you were just in case it was riding distance.....

Awesome!
It is riding distance :D :bleh:

nzspokes
31st May 2012, 19:45
I thought they'd be H4?

H1? Its a little all glass thing. Super easy to pull out.

I thought one was dual filament but turns out they are both single.

ducatilover
31st May 2012, 19:48
H1? Its a little all glass thing. Super easy to pull out.

I thought one was dual filament but turns out they are both single.

Have another looksie, think I might have some somewhere, I'm sure one of my BMWs used them. :cool:

nzspokes
31st May 2012, 20:31
Heres a pic of the bulb. Is that H1?

ducatilover
31st May 2012, 20:37
Looks to be a Hella HB4 to me, H1 are long and self earthing (only 1 elec pin on them) from memory.

nzspokes
31st May 2012, 20:48
Looks to be a Hella HB4 to me, H1 are long and self earthing (only 1 elec pin on them) from memory.

That looks like it. Sweet. So you get the whole fitting with it?

Your parcel is pack and ready for collection.

ducatilover
31st May 2012, 20:54
That looks like it. Sweet. So you get the whole fitting with it?

Your parcel is pack and ready for collection.

Yeah whole connection, buy them off the net and do some research in to colour temp and what not, it'll be better and cheaper than say RIPCO. BMW E36/E46 3 series without projectors use them, so they're a common bulb.

:2thumbsup I'm all excited about taking the 600 out (if it plays ball after I toyed with the carbs again)

BASS-TREBLE
31st May 2012, 22:12
Nothing flat about my one, With the mods ive found and the pilot screw adjuster covers drilled out I suspect some tuning. Then again its only 800cc bigger than my last bike.

I may drop some flat bars on mine later on. I dont like the set back of the stock ones.

You will most likely find that it never had pilot screw covers if it was NZ new. Any holes drilled in your airbox etc?

Congrats on the purchase by the way:niceone:

Teeza
31st May 2012, 22:18
Had a 1998 Bandit 1200. It was awsome on the road and the track!

nzspokes
31st May 2012, 22:28
You will most likely find that it never had pilot screw covers if it was NZ new. Any holes drilled in your airbox etc?

Congrats on the purchase by the way:niceone:

Was new in england. imported in 03. Ive not looked around the airbox, where would it be on the air box?

nzspokes
31st May 2012, 22:48
Interesting info on the lights

High beam = 9005
Low beam = 9006

Don't forget, the beam is adjustable. Not just the pattern placement either. You can adjust the canister back and forth to accomodate most bulbs. Since you are experiencing poor light output, you might want to try making adjustments to the canister placement.

To clarify a little, the headlight adjustment bolts found in the owners manual are the ones I'm talking about. Each canister has 3 adjustment nuts. The book says to use 2, but if you turn them all equally, you can move the focus or gain more room for the bulbs.

nzspokes
1st June 2012, 06:08
Now confused, manual says bulbs are 51w and 51w/60w. Should both headlights be on when Im on dip?

banditrider
1st June 2012, 07:05
Now confused, manual says bulbs are 51w and 51w/60w. Should both headlights be on when Im on dip?

Nope, just the one.

nzspokes
1st June 2012, 07:30
Interesting thread on bandit lights

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=2982.0

Morcs
1st June 2012, 09:17
Interesting thread on bandit lights

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=2982.0

Hey Robert did you richen the mixture on the GPZ when you threw the k&n in?

BASS-TREBLE
3rd June 2012, 09:48
Was new in england. imported in 03. Ive not looked around the airbox, where would it be on the air box?

Generally it is on the top of the airbox and is able to be seen with the seat removed. I cant remember the size but 30-40mm I think.
It is one of the first things that is done to help the engine breathe so it will be a dead giveaway for mods/jetting.

nzspokes
3rd June 2012, 11:00
Generally it is on the top of the airbox and is able to be seen with the seat removed. I cant remember the size but 30-40mm I think.
It is one of the first things that is done to help the engine breathe so it will be a dead giveaway for mods/jetting.

Had a look and nothing. The jet kits seem to come with allen head screws for the float bowls also which mine doesnt have. Ive found a stage 1 kit in aussie so will head down that path. Not intrested in max power output on this one. Stage one is just a tidy up on the stock settings and no airbox mods.

nzspokes
4th June 2012, 08:21
Pic at last. Been to busy riding. Oh I love that motor. Ive not reved it out yet but wow.

mrchips
4th June 2012, 08:45
Pic at last. Been to busy riding. Oh I love that motor. Ive not reved it out yet but wow.

The motors are very cool, huge difference to my SV. B12's are quite nimble bikes for the size too !

Nice one..... I've been on the lookout for some of those crash bars.

nzspokes
4th June 2012, 09:14
The motors are very cool, huge difference to my SV. B12's are quite nimble bikes for the size too !

Nice one..... I've been on the lookout for some of those crash bars.

Engine bars here, http://www.justbandits.com/shop/product.asp?numRecordPosition=4&P_ID=170&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=85

I may put some highway pegs on them. Will help with the hips.

blackdog
4th June 2012, 11:12

Ahem. I hope you are going to update the oil boiler thread. Nice bike mister.

nzspokes
4th June 2012, 17:42
Ahem. I hope you are going to update the oil boiler thread. Nice bike mister.

Theres an oil boiler thread?

Speaking of oil, what oil is best for these and how often?

Boob Johnson
4th June 2012, 17:49
Theres an oil boiler thread?

Speaking of oil, what oil is best for these and how often?
Every 6 months or 5,000km's.

nzspokes
4th June 2012, 18:10
Every 6 months or 5,000km's.

What type of oil is best, brand?

Boob Johnson
4th June 2012, 18:24
What type of oil is best, brand?
How long do you plan on keeping the bike & your budget would dictate what you use. Just go to your local Super Cheap Auto & ask for directions to the motorbike oil section. Last service I did I used some semi synthetic Castrol which is a cheaper oil. If you intend to keep the bike long term & do some major miles & your budget allows it, get fully synthetic maybe but first check the manual to see what Suzuki specify for that model.

nzspokes
4th June 2012, 18:33
How long do you plan on keeping the bike & your budget would dictate what you use. Just go to your local Super Cheap Auto & ask for directions to the motorbike oil section. Last service I did I used some semi synthetic Castrol which is a cheaper oil. If you intend to keep the bike long term & do some major miles & your budget allows it, get fully synthetic maybe but first check the manual to see what Suzuki specify for that model.

Its a keeper for sure. I read somewhere to not use synthetic in them.

blackdog
4th June 2012, 18:55
Its a keeper for sure. I read somewhere to not use synthetic in them.

I ran a good mineral oil in mine. The best deal I get at my bike shop the same time I pick up a filter.

nzspokes
4th June 2012, 19:03
I ran a good mineral oil in mine. The best deal I get at my bike shop the same time I pick up a filter.

Cool. I will be changing filter at each oil change to.

Looks like I need to get the dealer to fit a new gasket to the exhaust joint under the motor. Just moved it and it sounds like its leaking a bit. Guess thats not a big deal.