PDA

View Full Version : Tinted Visors

placidfemme
29th June 2005, 13:54
My helmet has a tinted Visor, and I was wondering how many of you have tinted visors.

Apparantly having a tinited visor is not advised... exspecially for night riding... what are opinions and comments?

vifferman
29th June 2005, 13:56
I have a clear and a tinted AND mirrored one. I've stopped wearing the latter now that it's dim in both the morning and evening commutes. While it's a neutral tint, it still makes things a bit dim for me to feel comfy with.

ManDownUnder
29th June 2005, 13:59
I used to but the night riding was too hard. I put a brighter bulb in to compensate but it was too hot and kept burning out every 3 or 4 months etc.

In the end it was simpler to have a clear visor and a good pair of sunglasses. The only time that combo lets me down is in town (no airflow through helmet) on a cold bright morning... the sunnies fog up even with visor up...

But it's not too bad.

MrMelon
29th June 2005, 13:59
I've got a clear one, a tinted one, and a mirrored one. I never use the mirrored one though since the tinted one is just better. I use the tinted one during the day and the clear at night.

Motu
29th June 2005, 14:06
I have a clear visor and wear sunglasses in the sun,sometimes,if I haven't sat on them,I might have some yellow sunglasses that work well in poor light situations.My MX helmet has clear goggles.

vifferman
29th June 2005, 14:10
I have a clear visor and wear sunglasses in the sun
That used to be me. :yes: Yes - that's right - I used to be Motu.
But then the kindly Mr Yamahamahamamaman sold me the X-Vent with two (2!) visors, including the evil tinted/mirrored one, and I transmogrified into vifferman! ...Dinna-dinna-dinna... Vifferman! (previously Motu, and prepreviouslylyly firestormer.

placidfemme
29th June 2005, 14:19
As I mentioned I have a tinted one... I also have a clear one (well it's actually Sam's, but she has a new helmet... so it's OURS lol). I get REALLY bad headaches from any form on glare... mostly sunlight glare... so I wear my tinted visor, with Sunnies underneath... and sometimes that doesn't even help, and I'll still get a headache...

I considered the whole changing visors accordingly to night/day, but then I'd have to carry around the spare visor, which might cause damage to it (As I never know if I'll finish work early when it's light or late when it's dark...) So I always only wear my tinted one...

justsomeguy
29th June 2005, 14:23
I've got a clear visor and a hand that I use to sheild my eyes if the glare becomes too obtrusive......

Don't ride that fast anyway so manage just fine at the moment.

Beemer
29th June 2005, 14:37
I started with a clear visor and sunnies (take your helmet with you if buying them - bummer when you buy a pair and they don't fit inside your helmet or hurt your head!) but bought a dark tinted visor soon afterwards. I find the tinted one pretty good, but haven't used it much since buying a gold mirrored one. I love the look of it and you can perve at guys at the lights without them knowing!

I would NEVER ride at night with a tinted visor - for a start it is illegal so if you get pulled up you could be ticketed, and secondly it really does lower your vision in the dark, making for a dangerous ride home if the area is not well lit. I even find the tinted ones too dark for some winter rides - especially if I am heading home when the sun is setting.

And don't forget (I still do!), the tinted ones are not like sunnies - so they don't afford you any protection from the sun for your eyes or your face. And if you think ski goggles white patches look silly, try one where your forehead and chin are white and the rest of your face is red!

vifferman
29th June 2005, 14:40
And don't forget (I still do!), the tinted ones are not like sunnies - so they don't afford you any protection from the sun for your eyes or your face.
Mine does. :yes:
And I'm sure my wife's mirrored Shoei one does in part, at least, which is why we bought it. But she still wears sunglasses under it, as it's nowhere near as good as the one on my AGV.

placidfemme
29th June 2005, 14:42
for a start it is illegal so if you get pulled up you could be ticketed

Is it really illegal? I thought it was illegal in the UK, but not here...

*still prefers my tinted one... even at night... car lights produce glare too :(*

Lou Girardin
29th June 2005, 14:44
My new helmet has a tinted 2nd visor that flips up leaving the clear one.................clear.
Visor down for bright
Visor up for dark.
What will they think of next?
Wipers?

placidfemme
29th June 2005, 14:52
My new helmet has a tinted 2nd visor that flips up leaving the clear one.................clear.
Visor down for bright
Visor up for dark.
Wipers?

what kind of helmet is that? That sounds cool

Lou Girardin
29th June 2005, 15:45
Nolan N101 VPS, see product reviews.

XP@
29th June 2005, 16:09
Was on my way home last night and there was a chappie on a KTM adventure (which was a lot faster than my shockingly out of tune f650) with an iridium visor... haven't the foggiest how he could see!

Pwalo
29th June 2005, 16:28
Was on my way home last night and there was a chappie on a KTM adventure (which was a lot faster than my shockingly out of tune f650) with an iridium visor... haven't the foggiest how he could see!

I know it sounds bizarre but I found the iridium visor on my old helmet fine if it wasn't pitch black. The gold looked quite cool with the white helmet as well (well almost).

For my new helmet I've got a tinted visor for the bright days but during the winter it's clear visor and sunnies as required. Roll on summer.

Now get that Beemer tuned you lazy sod.

spiller
29th June 2005, 16:28
can you not get light sensitive visors??? My MX goggles are light sensitive and I can't say I've had a glare prob (apart from the odd sunstrike in the morn or afternoon).

XP@
29th June 2005, 16:31
I know it sounds bizarre but I found the iridium visor on my old helmet fine if it wasn't pitch black. The gold looked quite cool with the white helmet as well (well almost).

For my new helmet I've got a tinted visor for the bright days but during the winter it's clear visor and sunnies as required. Roll on summer.

Now get that Beemer tuned you lazy sod.
I guess I am biased against them, after a friend of mine spread his gixxr1100 over a field (100 meters from the 1st to last bit) ... combination of stupidity and dark visor...

crashe
29th June 2005, 16:39
I only have a clear visor...
I wear sunnies during the day...
Plus I have clear nice looking safety glasses at night time....
I do tend to ride with the visor up alot.

I dont like looking throu the tinted visors....
I guess that comes from not like having dark coloured sunnies.

On the top of my visor I have a two inch wide black tape put on there.
That helps in sunstrike... I just tilt my head forward a bit and then I can still see.

I also cant cope with the glare, even if its cloudy, it the bright glare that my eyes dont like. So I wear the sunnies most of the time.

Hitcher
29th June 2005, 16:52
My next plan is to tape over the top few centimetres on my visor to make a winter one for when the sun is low in the sky and I need to shade my eyes from the glare. I'd never use a tinted visor. It's easier to wear sunnies when it's bright.

Swamprat
29th June 2005, 17:41
Hi Thread, i was just reading your post on tinted visors and they are safe to use at night. I ride day and night all year round have done for the past eight years, personally I have'nt had any problems with using a tinted visor, my first visor was black and that was ok, but of late im using a blue iridium i find it helps at night, as when cars come at you with there lights on full or just on the mirror tint helps to reflect the light and not blind you like a normal visor would. but at the end of the day i suppose it comes down to each persons personal choice. Me i dont mind, plus it looks cool too.
Later dude,
SwamoRat.

bungbung
29th June 2005, 17:45
If you have a tinted visor and are going to ride during the day only, it is worth considering keeping a pair of clear safety glasses (or something similar) under the seat in case of running out of daylight. It's not much fun riding at dusk with your visor up and eating bugs.

Not to mention the smarting.

'Course, if one went in yer eye...

dhunt
29th June 2005, 17:55
I have a tinted visor I wear during the day, except if it is raining lots and at night round town. I try to swap to a clear at night if I'm going out of town as it makes life a bit easier.

onearmedbandit
29th June 2005, 18:19
Never heard of tinted visors being illegal at night before, will have to look it up. I have both, but can't be half-arsed to change them. Sure, vision is reduced at night but if you ride to the conditions (ie night time and reduced vision) you should be fine and so far I've had no 'moments', well not that I've seen anyway! If it is too dark, then visor up no problem.

Sutage
29th June 2005, 18:23
I got a mean pair of mirrored aviator sun glasses
tom cruise is so cool

sAsLEX
29th June 2005, 19:35
following MRs race van and TS on his gixxer (in its brief existence) back from Quasis at 10 oclock at night the Iridium was a bit dull, but then keeping up with the van with the visor up in the rain was painful as, my RIDE helmet pretty much stays with an iridium visor as that has a fog city.

my UNI helmet I keep the clear on that with a FOG city as well, and keep a pair of sunnies in the bag for evening sunstrike

DingDong
29th June 2005, 19:42
Transitional... like the presciption glasses or flash weilding helmets.

Now that would be good until someone high beems you.... :no: arrrggggg wer'd everything go!

Two Smoker
29th June 2005, 20:04
following MRs race van and TS on his gixxer (in its brief existence)

Hey mate!!! It still exists... just likes living in my garage until it gets straight again, and is less naked....

Ive got 3 clear visors, 2 iridium and 2 tinted... When racing, i use the tinted if it is sunny or overcast. And use clear when it is raining...

On the road, iridium all the time... unless its a fast road ride in the wet, then its tinted or clear... Commuting with a tinted visor should be fine, as your not going at a pace to slide the bike...

Iridium or tinted visors are not illegal...

MagicMarker
29th June 2005, 21:04
Used to ride around with an open faced helmet, those were the nastiest when riding on motorways, never know what will hit you.

Now I've changed to a helmet with a visor, and have a clear visor and a dark smoke visor and change according to the amount of daylight, heaps better than those opened faced helmets :Punk:

Do the iridium coatings of visors come off after a while? I was just curious about that, cos they look real cool!

Sensei
29th June 2005, 21:24
Have Photocromic lens that changers with the light, clear at night dark in the day light .Very Kool

FROSTY
29th June 2005, 21:36
I prefer a clear visor and sunnies for road riding.With the crap weather lately Im using a clear view visor--orange which makes for sharper definition

Velox
29th June 2005, 23:07
I pretty much always use a dark visor unless it's been raining for a few days and pisses me off enough to swap it over to the clear one. I just ride with it up when I can't see as well (my road has no street lights, which is a bad combination with a tinted visor at night).

scumdog
29th June 2005, 23:16
Hi Thread, i was just reading your post on tinted visors and they are safe to use at night. I ride day and night all year round have done for the past eight years, personally I have'nt had any problems with using a tinted visor, my first visor was black and that was ok, but of late im using a blue iridium i find it helps at night, as when cars come at you with there lights on full or just on the mirror tint helps to reflect the light and not blind you like a normal visor would. but at the end of the day i suppose it comes down to each persons personal choice. Me i dont mind, plus it looks cool too.
Later dude,
SwamoRat.

Wait until the first time a grey car with no lights (when everybody else has theirs on) appears from nowhere one evening just as you pull out of the drive..... :Oops: :doh: :shit:

Lou Girardin
30th June 2005, 09:13
Later dude,
SwamoRat.

Is it also the personal choice of the pedestrian you don't see and kill?

Sometimes I despair at the sheer stupidity of some of these posts!

Biff
30th June 2005, 10:56
My recent(ish) experience with an iridium visor: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=8074&highlight=brown+trouser
There's also some useful information in this thread from a 'lightabsorbtiontypeboffin' from KB.

IMO you should never wear dark or tinted visors at night, they shut out too much light, and it only takes some kid on a pedal bike with little or no visible light to cross you path.......

PF - You're correct about your statement about the use of tinted visors in the UK. If I remember correctly for a visor to be legal it must not cut out any more than 50% of visible light. And iridium visors are a definite no no from what I recall.

I own both a clear and tinted visor for my lid. I never where the tinted one at night or in low light conditions.

Beemer
30th June 2005, 11:42
I knew tinted visors were illegal in the UK and just assumed they were illegal here too, but I can't find any confirmation of this. However, when you see how much light they cut out, only an idiot (and looking cool when you're dead still makes you an idiot) would willingly wear one at night.

I've been caught coming home a bit later than expected and I certainly wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis - it's really tiring trying to concentrate and ensure you see everything. Is there a difference between mirrored and irridium? Mine is actually a gold irridium one but I find I still get burnt in summer if I don't use sunblock.

Photochomatic ones would be great, but they'd be pretty expensive I reckon. Also, I'm not sure if they would work on such a curve. Some aren't quick enough to react when you go into a tunnel for instance, so they could be even worse than tinted ones.

vifferman
30th June 2005, 12:09
Is there a difference between mirrored and irridium? Mine is actually a gold irridium one but I find I still get burnt in summer if I don't use sunblock.

Photochomatic ones would be great, but they'd be pretty expensive I reckon. Also, I'm not sure if they would work on such a curve. Some aren't quick enough to react when you go into a tunnel for instance, so they could be even worse than tinted ones.
Iridim visors are just another form of mirrored surface (different coating). My wife's iridium visor looks a lot less mirrored than my one does. It does cut out a fair chunk of the UV though, because my wife got quite cooked with the clear one on, but finds the iridium one much better. She still wears her sunglasses with it though, as it doesn't cut out enough glare.

There are photochromatic visors or inserts, but they're too slow to adjust, so I reckon they'd be a liability.

2_SL0
30th June 2005, 12:36
I have a tinted visor, plus it has a antifog shield inside it. It was great in the summer. But I found in the winter it has been nothing but a pain in the ass. I put my clear back on. Problem I found is if it rained, from behind my visor it would look like a full on thunderstorm, (As in the the skies had darkened to black.) I couldnt make out the road condition very well. It made it very hard to tell when the road had dried out or when there was a visable slippery patch.
I end up going slower and slower because I cant make out the road surface.

BM-GS
30th June 2005, 13:05
Depends on the tint of the visor - not all are the same.

Arai do a light & a dark tint, as well as clear. I had an iridium Arai one once, but this was a clear visor coated by some 3rd party, and they it was utter crap - but it came in an Arai bag (from the original clear visor). Yes, I bought one, but never again until Mr Arai calls me up & says he's doing them himself. The Shoei one I had a few years earlier was brilliant - a coated tinted visor which repelled water like crazy, and if the coating got scratched I couldn't tell from inside the helmet, as the tint didn't change. A shame my head's the wrong shape...

I use a light tint Arai visor and that does me most of the time. In the summer I commute wearing sunnies cos I leave my visor up. If I'm out & about in the summer I'll wear sunnies behind the tinted visor so I can still see and I don't get my face burned. Arai & Shoei say their tinted visors are uv-proof, and I've been riding with mates with clear visors to prove it.

The tinted visor gets retired in the winter for a clear one. This has 2 advantages:
1. I can see a bit better in the dark, though it made less difference than I expected and the tinted one is perfectly useable at night.
2. The scrapes & scratches are spread between the 2 visors, so each one lasts longer.

JohnBoy
30th June 2005, 13:32
all i just have is a black smoke tinted visor and a clear. i dont get into all that iridium/ chrome stuff.

a mate got me into them a couple of years back and have never look back, only get caught out at the begining of winter when it starts to get darker early and i forget my clear visor.

Hitcher
30th June 2005, 16:09
I have a tinted visor, plus it has a antifog shield inside it. It was great in the summer. But I found in the winter it has been nothing but a pain in the ass.
That's arse around here, sunshine. The neurological condition of your donkey interests us not.

This message has been brought to you by the BDOTGNZA.

Big Dave
30th June 2005, 17:06
I have a pair of wiley X sunglasses that have interchangeable clear and dark lenses. Nifty little pouch slips in jacket pocket.

http://www.wileyx.com/noTearsSeries.php

actually these ones - XL1
http://www.wileyx.com/ntInter.php

I leave the dark visor on the helmet and if the sun sets whilst still out on the bike - pop the clear lenses in the sunnies and ride with visor open.

Not cheap - but excellent product and good enough as stand alone sunnies.
Highly commended.

unhingedlizard
30th June 2005, 21:47
I use a tinted one during the day but if going anywhere where i might be heading home in the dark or rain I carry the clear one with me. I never used to have trouble in the UK with tinted visors. Mind u, i did live in the back of beyond. I have mates in the Uk with fines for tinted or mirrored visors.

Odin
30th June 2005, 22:05
Back in the 90's when i started out i had a helmet with a tinted visor but i don't think thats all that safe in the dark. Maeby it was tinted to much. Now i preffer to just put on the sunnies. I know it appeals to the wannabe cool people (hence i had one) to have a tinted visor but i would not advice it.

bgd
3rd July 2005, 04:06
In the UK all visors have to meet some British standard regarding shatter protection and (I assume) light transmission. They don't approve tinted visors so they aren't legal to use, even for a pillion. No such approval required for sunnies so you can happily wear them as dark as possible with no shatter protection and it's fine - go figure.

As long as you aren't wearing tinted at night plod generally won't worry about the visor and I've never heard of a pillion being ticketed.

Will
3rd July 2005, 09:08
And don't forget (I still do!), the tinted ones are not like sunnies - so they don't afford you any protection from the sun for your eyes or your face. And if you think ski goggles white patches look silly, try one where your forehead and chin are white and the rest of your face is red!

I wear a clear double layer for anti-fog, and wear my supermarket $20 UV sunnies. My eyes are very sensitive to the UV rays now. And it doesn't worry me if I lose or damage the sunnies, just replace them.

Jackrat
3rd July 2005, 10:34
I've just bought a pair of googles that give that fighter pilot look,Waaay cool.I've never really liked visors of any kind,even more so tinted ones.
Like to see the other riders face an feel the wind on my own.I also don't mind the taste of bugs,the Waikato ones are best.

zadok
3rd July 2005, 10:41
I prefer a clear visor and sunnies for road riding.With the crap weather lately Im using a clear view visor--orange which makes for sharper definition
I had a mate with one of those orange visors. He reckoned they were great. I might look into getting one for mine. Do they block out some sun at all, are just enhance vision?

Hitcher
3rd July 2005, 14:11
I struggle with the concept of "enhancing" lenses. Any tint filters light. In bright conditions this is good, because your eyes don't have to struggle with the brightness and glare. On snow or similar conditions where contrast is the issue (e.g. white-out), "enhancing" lenses can be invaluable. But there is usually plenty of light available. Same deal for trap shooters.

Anybody who wears any sort of tinted visor in conditions other than daylight is a certifiable ferkin idiot. In dusk and darkness, your eyes need all the help they can get. Any visor other than a clear one will inhibit your vision. People who think otherwise are deluding themselves and would be better off with a white stick and guide dog.

unhingedlizard
4th July 2005, 09:36
Anybody who wears any sort of tinted visor in conditions other than daylight is a certifiable ferkin idiot. In dusk and darkness, your eyes need all the help they can get. Any visor other than a clear one will inhibit your vision. People who think otherwise are deluding themselves and would be better off with a white stick and guide dog.

Agreed.
I dont wear a tinted visor for looks. Its just that i find sunnies dont cover your eyes enough and i always find them uncomfertable and cause headaches.

Maybe ive just got a wierd shaped head.

inlinefour
31st July 2005, 17:48
However my glasses are self tinting. Good for in the sun and at night :ride:

avgas
31st July 2005, 18:46
i ride with a tinited visor....at night time.
but then again i have sixmonthold syndrome - if i cant see it, it cant scare me.

Pathos
1st August 2005, 15:29
Last week I was nearly blinded by the sun at twilight with my clear visor. I never realised how painful it would be. However its going to be pitch black when I go home tonight.

Gonna get a tinted one next, cuz it looks better.

GN1NiteStnd
1st August 2005, 18:26
had a mirror tint visor insert for my helmet. was really great, and didnt cause too much probs at night. but i left it in a bin @ bp after riding on cold rainy night. the visor was fogging between the visor and the insert. couldnt see shit and opening visor just resulted in 140kph odd raindrops in eyes. maby would have had better luck on a bike with better headlight than the old gb400tt

stify
5th August 2005, 19:06

just got me one of them iridum visors,an in the day light it rocks,a shite load
better than sunglasses and a clear visor for me anyway

SARGE
6th August 2005, 08:56
Visor down for bright
Visor up for dark.
Wipers?

i wanna get one of those Top Gun Fighter Pilot type helmets with the 2 slide-down visors..

them's kewl!!

bkrwench
8th August 2005, 10:58
i use a high def visor great for blockin glare
not too bad at night

Hitcher
8th August 2005, 19:06
i use a high def visor great for blockin glare
not too bad at night
Fascinating. Despite the marketing hype, I fail to see how something that takes something away (i.e. a tinted visor) can increase definition.

Polarising lenses reduce glare by filtering it in one direction and also removing certain elements of the visible colour spectrum. Polarising lenses are great in strong sunshine but hopeless under flat light conditions, such as white-out. Needless to say, you can't buy polarising visors. If you want polarising, you need eyewear.

Gold or yellow tint lenses are great for flat lighting. That's why they are popular as ski goggles and for trap shooters. Shooters call these "enhancers", but that's because they don't know any better...

And finally, but not for the last time I suspect, anybody who wears any form of tinted eyewear (visors included) after dusk and during the hours of darkness is a ferkin idiot. Bikers more than other road users need to have everything working to their advantage. Inhibiting the amount of light available to your eyes is just asking for trouble.

Enhance your sight.
Wear clear visors at night.

White trash
8th August 2005, 19:11
I wear a tinted visor at night. But it's up.

Edit: For the record, "high definition" visors look gay and do nothing except make shady, damp patches look like light, dry patches.

NordieBoy
8th August 2005, 19:20
One of my helmets has a photochromatic insert that is fantastic.
OK-ish at night, brilliant in sunlight absolutly no fogging at all and now after about 3 years and the sticky tape has pulled away along the top a bit when it rains the water sits beween the visors and looks like a little fish tank with the water sloshing from side to side :D

Hitcher
8th August 2005, 19:21
I wear a tinted visor at night. But it's up.
It's good to know you can get it up in the dark...

NordieBoy
8th August 2005, 19:22
i wanna get one of those Top Gun Fighter Pilot type helmets with the 2 slide-down visors..

them's kewl!!

Like these?

http://www.customlids.co.uk/helmets/roof/bumper/bumper_o.jpg

White trash
8th August 2005, 19:23
It's good to know you can get it up in the dark...

Don't go there big fellah, don't go there.........................

DEATH_INC.
8th August 2005, 19:42
I usta use a black visor day and night a while back.The iridium visor for my axo offers awesome nightime vision without glare from oncoming cars,better than a clear even.

stunz
18th August 2005, 16:18
use clear but wear shadze when sun is shining. prefer that other road going objects can see me seeing them...

Matt Bleck
18th August 2005, 16:52
I got a tinted visor and wear it day and night, no worries.

Hitcher
18th August 2005, 21:08
I got a tinted visor and wear it day and night, no worries.
What a hero...

Beemer
18th August 2005, 23:03
What a hero...

Yeah, bet he wears it to the Hero Parade so his mates don't recognise him. :motu:

Lou Girardin
19th August 2005, 08:23
Those who wear tinted visors at night, why do you think it's tinted?
To cut glare, right?
How does it cut glare?
By cutting down the amount of light transmitted.
Here endeth this lesson.
The next lesson will be piling into some object you didn't see in time.

avgas
19th August 2005, 08:47
Those who wear tinted visors at night, why do you think it's tinted?
To cut glare, right?
How does it cut glare?
By cutting down the amount of light transmitted.
Here endeth this lesson.
The next lesson will be piling into some object you didn't see in time.
I always seem to get blinded by those suns they put on cars when i wear a clear visor though. That and i do about 90% of my riding at night, so the darkness side of things doesnt affect me too badly.
But mind due i am running a photochromatic insert now and that works lovely. Its probably about 10% darker (max) at night. And its stops those fucken 4wd spotties (who the fuck needs them anyhow - blind drivers or something?) from taking all my vision away.
also note - i have never crashed at night, only during the day when the assholes come out

Hitcher
19th August 2005, 08:54
I always seem to get blinded by those suns they put on cars when i wear a clear visor though. That and i do about 90% of my riding at night, so the darkness side of things doesnt affect me too badly.
But mind due i am running a photochromatic insert now and that works lovely. Its probably about 10% darker (max) at night. And its stops those fucken 4wd spotties (who the fuck needs them anyhow - blind drivers or something?) from taking all my vision away.
also note - i have never crashed at night, only during the day when the assholes come out
Three points:

1. Don't look directly at the headlights of oncoming traffic at night.
2. Photochromatic materials are only activated by incident ultra-violet light. And they wear out over time, usually stabilising at a level halfway between clear and dark.
3. Around these parts you need to watch out for arseholes.

Change the Government. Party vote for BDOTGNZA.

Purest Evil
21st October 2005, 20:47
Whats an iridium visor. I have an el cheapo FFM Tour Pro with a mirrored visor, can't see jack at night or when it fogs up

quickbuck
21st October 2005, 21:58
I have a tinted anti fog insert in one of my Visors, and change the visor according to the light conditions. If I get caught out big time without my clear visor in black conditions then tearing off the for insert is no biggie. $35 vs dead.

davenz
25th October 2005, 16:27
I have both (with prescription glasses), and usually just swap them over if if working late I ride home with the visor up (luckily not far).

madmal64
31st October 2005, 18:00
I now have both clear & Iridium visors. I usually ride with the Iridium and the clear at night. The only thing is that I find it harder to change the visor from clear back to mirrored as its hard to see the locating lugs on my HJC FL14. My old HJC CL12 was a peice of cake and this new one is a right pain.

DMNTD
31st October 2005, 18:19
I now have both clear & Iridium visors. I usually ride with the Iridium and the clear at night. The only thing is that I find it harder to change the visor from clear back to mirrored as its hard to see the locating lugs on my HJC FL14. My old HJC CL12 was a peice of cake and this new one is a right pain.
I find holding into the sun helps you to be able to see through :niceone:

Busy
1st November 2005, 22:10
Verying interesting thread, but have a question.

Why not a half tint half clear visor? (or top 1/3 tinted)
Say get the top section of a clear visor tinted a light(ish) smoke colour (so it blends better if you're worried about the looks) and so when it's bright (sun strike etc) you lean down and use the tint otherwise use the clear without neck strain.

If I'm not stoned to death by proposing such a thing, would it have to be a special type of tint or would the car stuff work. The only down side I can see is the line at the bottom of the tint, it may distort somehow.

I wanted to get a tinted visor as I can't wear sunnies, have perfect vision but sunnies, cheap and expensive give me headaches after 30mins or so, even tried different colours - gets expensive.

Sniper
2nd November 2005, 06:54
I use a silver tint visor on my rides now. I learn a valuable lesson last night though when it got dark half way home.

I now carry both visors on me.

nobbie
2nd November 2005, 07:10
i use a black visor during the day and normally carry clear with me.but can someone tell me as i`m quite new to nz are tinted and coloured legal over here or is it like the uk where it all depends on coppers mood on the day ,i have known some to confiscate your visor leaving you to ride home without one and then bloody fine you as well :crybaby:

Lou Girardin
2nd November 2005, 07:22
Verying interesting thread, but have a question.

Why not a half tint half clear visor? (or top 1/3 tinted)
Say get the top section of a clear visor tinted a light(ish) smoke colour (so it blends better if you're worried about the looks) and so when it's bright (sun strike etc) you lean down and use the tint otherwise use the clear without neck strain.

If I'm not stoned to death by proposing such a thing, would it have to be a special type of tint or would the car stuff work. The only down side I can see is the line at the bottom of the tint, it may distort somehow.

I wanted to get a tinted visor as I can't wear sunnies, have perfect vision but sunnies, cheap and expensive give me headaches after 30mins or so, even tried different colours - gets expensive.

Done! The Nolan N101VPS has a separate tinted sunvisor that pivots out of the way when not needed.

SARGE
2nd November 2005, 08:23
i ride with a clear visor and a pair of Oakley's

James Deuce
2nd November 2005, 08:36
I use a silver tint visor on my rides now. I learn a valuable lesson last night though when it got dark half way home.

I now carry both visors on me.

That wasn't a lesson, that was a fit up. Good luck with the battle.

pyrocam
3rd November 2005, 14:55
my situation changed actually. I recommend you get a photosensitive visor addition. stops fog and goes blue in UV light (Ie the sun) $45 from your local bike shop (im sure sarge and lou will correct me if im wrong) but they are mint. work a treat and saves me carrying two visors.

also two lines of electrical tape at the top of your visor will help with glare if you just dip your head. im sure crashe and... um... slashwyde (I think)will agree with me.

Tricia1000
7th December 2005, 21:10
I have a clear visor, but with an inbuilt retractable sun visor. This is operated by a small sliding switch on the side of the lid. There are three companies that make these helmets, and they are worth every cent you might spend on them. So when you are in bright sunshine, put sun visor down, and when you go into that shaded area, slip sun visor back into the shell of your lid.
This is not the nolan version of lid, that has the sun visor on the OUTSIDE of the lid. This is a flip up version, with sun visor on the INSIDE. Highly recommended.

Tricia1000

placidfemme
8th December 2005, 19:17
wow this thread is still going...

I'm riding with a clear visor now... find the glare a pain in the butt, but night riding and dark damp days are a lot better, can see further, I didn't actually realise how much dimmer things are with the tinted visor at night...

thanks for all the advice :)

robbie
8th December 2005, 19:25
I have two helmets, one with clear and one with tinted visor. Depends on time of day / weather etc as to which one I wear, best of both worlds....cheers R:whocares:

scumdog
8th December 2005, 19:55
wow this thread is still going...

I'm riding with a clear visor now... find the glare a pain in the butt, but night riding and dark damp days are a lot better, can see further, I didn't actually realise how much dimmer things are with the tinted visor at night...

thanks for all the advice :)

Nice to see you back on the site PlacidFemme, keep them posts comming in!!!

Sniper
8th December 2005, 21:16
i use a black visor during the day and normally carry clear with me.but can someone tell me as i`m quite new to nz are tinted and coloured legal over here or is it like the uk where it all depends on coppers mood on the day ,i have known some to confiscate your visor leaving you to ride home without one and then bloody fine you as well :crybaby:

Come down here and visit my friendly policeman with whom I had 2 run-ins.

Brett
8th December 2005, 21:44
I use a clear visor, but i would really like a mirror one. My brother has one, i thought it was the tits...untill i went for a ride at night.
What we really need is a polarised visor so taht you can see at night.Does anyone make polarised visors? I imagine they would cost a fair bit.

KLOWN
8th December 2005, 22:51
I have recently bought a blue irrdium visor which i use for day riding and a clear for night. But I have only ridden at night once so not much of an issue. Both my visors aren't shatterproof and the bit of plastic wrapping that my new visor came in (blue irridium) said : This is not an homologated product and shouldn't be used for road use blah blah blah. Anyone know y it say this.

flash
9th December 2005, 16:09
im looking at getting a irrdium visor. are they really easy to scratch?

alley cat
9th December 2005, 18:05
at the end of the day i suppose it comes down to each persons personal choice. Me i dont mind, plus it looks cool too.
Later dude,
SwamoRat.[/QUOTE]

Living dangerously! yeehaa. they look way cool too...:headbang:
I love my tinted visor. Just keep eatin those carrots and nite ridings a breeze.:eek5: :eek5: :eek5:

Test Pilot
15th December 2005, 11:06
i use a tinted visor during the day and clear at night, pain in the arse but i dont like wearing sunnys wit my helmet. I find on overcast days the tinted one isnt safe, cant see little details. Iv found the more i ride the more i have the visor up, vision is best and the fresh air is nice. Just the occasional bee or bug that hits you sucks

JWALKER
15th December 2005, 11:34
i wear a tinted one during the day and as i dont ride much at night, normally leave the titnted one on, but, if riding at night i would probably swap over
to the clear one

miSTa
15th December 2005, 18:19
Clear visor all the time, sunglasses underneath as required. Wouldn't mind getting myself a pair yellow glasses - they're supposed to be the biz in rain and poor light situations.

loosebruce
22nd December 2005, 23:42
My cap doesn't have a visor and i find at speed sometimes it tends to blow off, but me beanie sits on at much higher speed than my cap and is a bit more aerodynamic, so i wear that when open road, but my cap round town, does good at keeping a little sun out of my eyes.

APPLE
23rd December 2005, 13:44
mirrored visor,kbc racing helmet$60....red baron

flash
23rd December 2005, 13:58
mirrored visor,kbc racing helmet$60....red baron

are they any good?, i was thinking of getting one for my kbc. the dark tint ones look green and there about $40

APPLE
23rd December 2005, 14:13
yeh mate,i like it aye?i dont ride at nite or anything with it on,cos its gets dark'n everythin.but its brilliant for cloudy days,brightins everythin up?i think it woz $55bucks man. if i new how 2 send a foto of my lid?yu'd c wot looks like?

flash
23rd December 2005, 14:17
dont worry, ive seen them, their just down the road at moto gb, they look damn good for the price and yeah there about $55 here too. tell if it breaks though ;)

APPLE
23rd December 2005, 14:23
dont worry, ive seen them, their just down the road at moto gb, they look damn good for the price and yeah there about $55 here too. tell if it breaks though ;)
SWEET:rockon:

froggyfrenchman
28th December 2005, 14:39
i have a mirror tinted visor insert. It sticks on the inside of your visor and can be take off easily when darkness threatens, coz in the dark i cant see shit

DogBreath
28th December 2005, 22:53
Always thought a graduated tint would be perfect, why does no one make these? A dark band at the top, clear from halfway down
It seems so obvious.
I thought some of that stick-on stuff might be OK too, just across the top, might try it next yr.

froggyfrenchman
31st December 2005, 22:54
had a mirror tint visor insert for my helmet. was really great, and didnt cause too much probs at night. but i left it in a bin @ bp after riding on cold rainy night. the visor was fogging between the visor and the insert. couldnt see shit and opening visor just resulted in 140kph odd raindrops in eyes. maby would have had better luck on a bike with better headlight than the old gb400tt

Me logged in as the missis, AGAIN! really should check top of page before posting!

Racey Rider
19th April 2006, 10:52
im looking at getting a irrdium visor. are they really easy to scratch?

Can anyone give share experiance with this question?

Thinkin about buying a Mirror Blue as I need a new visor for racing with.
Cheaper to get one overseas I guess. CS-10

To those that have used Both, Whats your preference between Mirror or Dark tint as far as use on a sunny day goes. (ie. not how they look)

Racey

dhunt
19th April 2006, 11:07
Can anyone give share experiance with this question?

Thinkin about buying a Mirror Blue as I need a new visor for racing with.
Cheaper to get one overseas I guess. CS-10

To those that have used Both, Whats your preference between Mirror or Dark tint as far as use on a sunny day goes. (ie. not how they look)

Racey
If the blue is anything like the silver it scratches easy as only on the surface where as the dark is all the way through (I think I paid $40 for my dark at the local suzuki shop). I like the dark tint better as it is a darker tinting (ie lets less light through) and more scratch resistant.

Cajun
19th April 2006, 11:53
The mirror visor depends on brand

the hjc mirror i had was bad for scratching. (brand new leaving tga, time i got to taupo already had scratch and rub mark on it)

the wifes shoei mirror, was bloody great - 4 years still looked great
the wifes new suomy mirror, she doesn't is as good as shoei one. had it 2 months, already a few scratches

Personally i much perfer dark tint visor, i have noticed with mirror visors with sun on right angle you can see your reflection on inside of helmet, out of corner of eye, which is not a good thing when cranked over in a corner.

But that i think is due to riding with tint visors for well over 10 years, my wife prefers the mirror over the dark tint, and thats what she has riden with for 6 years.

madmal64
20th April 2006, 07:38
The HJC Irdidium visors that I have used have scratched very badly very quickly. I couple of good rides and I have found that the bugs that hit the visor have scratched it bad enoungh that I have had to change it. I now just ue clear or tinted visors

kiwifruit
20th April 2006, 09:32
yep, my hjc mirrored visor is very prone to damage
good solid bug will leave a hole in the finish :(

vifferman
20th April 2006, 09:36
My AGV is both dark-tinted and mirrored, and not particularly subject to scratching. There are some minor scratches, but the only one noticeable when riding is a small stone-chip; the stone would've chipped anything, even glass.
I ALWAYS wet-clean it; either Plexus at home, screen-cleaner at work, or when riding, some Windolene diluted with distilled water, using a damp cloth followed by a clean dry hanky or similar. My visors last YEARS with kind treatment.

Dont_die_wondering
2nd May 2006, 13:14
clear visor here, but new gear time so im going for tinted :yes:

nezorf
23rd August 2006, 15:05
i have both tinted and clear, havent got to use tinted yet coz havent got my bike home. my tint is so dark u cant see in but easy to see out

robertydog
23rd August 2006, 15:41
I have a clear and a tinted visor.

Fub@r
23rd August 2006, 15:55
I was using a clear visor and sunglasses. Only problem was especially in the evenings was you needed the sunglasses due to driving in to the sun, but as I near home its getting dark, and cant really stop on motorway or alike to take them off and put them somewhere for the rest of my ride. Also putting my sunnies on in my helmet was a pain and not 100% comfortable. Least with the visor I can lift it up as it gets dark. Wont be such an issue coming towards summer now.

So other day I got a tinted visor for nice sunny days and use my clear on miserable days. With the tinted visor and not using sunglasses my feild of vison has improved and I'm far more comfortable

Dazza
23rd August 2006, 16:01
Only one I haven't tried is the photochromic(sp,is there such a word but you know what I mean). Just don't do tinted visors any more as I like to see where I'm going. With our road surface and in and out of shadows and wet surfaces you cannot beat the clear with good sunnies, unless you have a UV proof,doesn't let UV through you have to wear sunnies to protect the eyeballs anyway. It's maybe my eyesight is failing as I get older, I'm over the trying to look intimidatingthing :dodge:

mstriumph
23rd August 2006, 16:59
have problems with the strong sunlight over here .........

have a clear visor and those specs that get darker the stronger the light gets ----- is working for me so far

mmmm but i STILL think tinted/mirrored visors look mint!

Colapop
27th August 2006, 17:00
Gonna be picking up this lid with a gold tinted visor this Friday... I reckon it's freckin hot!

mdooher
27th August 2006, 17:34
I don't ride much in the dark so I use tinted visor but I have a pair of clear safety glasses just in case I caught out after dark....they don't stop everything but at least I dont get moths in my eyes

Maha
27th August 2006, 17:49
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40122&d=1156657367

Only been caught once at night, so swapped with Anne, she had a clear visor

MD
27th August 2006, 18:21
Well I'm blown away by how good the new Caberg is. Just got home from a dusk ride and the fun of flicking the internal sun visor up as you ride along is a buzz. Helmet's awesome as far as low wind noise, comfort, features, styling and outright quality of manufacture. No more hassles getting caught out wearing the wrong visor by sunstrike or nightfall.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=31921&page=3

07fatboy
28th August 2006, 02:34
Well I'm blown away by how good the new Caberg is. Just got home from a dusk ride and the fun of flicking the internal sun visor up as you ride along is a buzz. Helmet's awesome as far as low wind noise, comfort, features, styling and outright quality of manufacture. No more hassles getting caught out wearing the wrong visor by sunstrike or nightfall.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=31921&page=3

i have a agv gt-pro helmet ive got all the color visors blue,black,silver and gold blue is my personal favourite. allways get caught out at night so have the clear wrapped in my bag allso have the tear away refills which are handy asthe bloody tint is hard to keep clean. The blue blocks all the uv's with out glasses dont squint where as the others you still gotta wear glasses. Also polaroids reflect a mirror like image and is eeeeenoyyyying , Hope this helps any one

dawnrazor
28th August 2006, 16:09
iridium for the summer, clear for the winter and night riding.

I NEVER WEAR SUNNIES - cuts out to much peripheral vision and narrows your focus without you realising it, and a dark visor is cheaper then good polaroids.

placidfemme
13th September 2006, 13:28
wow this thread is still going... I'm amazed...

I know have a new helmet... Shark (yay!) with a clear visor... havn't even used it yet lol... waiting on my bike :)

iridium for the summer, clear for the winter and night riding.

I NEVER WEAR SUNNIES - cuts out to much peripheral vision and narrows your focus without you realising it, and a dark visor is cheaper then good polaroids.

I've got one of those nose covers on mine anyway to try and cut down on fogging and keep my nose warm when the visor is open, so sunglasses don't work with this anyway.

ZeroIndex
13th September 2006, 13:35
I have 2 HJC helmets, both with clear and tinted visors, both of them at present have clear visors, and I just can't be bothered changing them, oh wait.. I feel like changing my one helmet now.. cya

LilSel
13th September 2006, 13:36
I have a tinted and a clear one.
Tinted for day... clear for night...
sometimes if unsure as to when getting home... go out with tinted one on... and take clear one in backpack just incase it gets dark.
got caught out with tinted one on once at night... was ok riding with visor up... untill it started pouring down. rain stings! lol

unhingedlizard
13th September 2006, 18:58
I agree with this comment and/or opinion

ZeroIndex
13th September 2006, 21:33

I'm going to steal that line for an opportune moment :p

Kendog
14th September 2006, 07:59

I thought this was spam to get your post count up.

Maybe this post is spam to get my post count up.

Who knows.

unhingedlizard
16th September 2006, 14:04
;)

MidnightMike
16th September 2006, 14:17
I have a mirrored one and a clear one, considering getting a tinted one but dont have the dosh.

So please donate to the 'help midnightmike get a cool visor' fund. :dodge:

Oh and i swap them for night. :rockon:

Mental Trousers
16th September 2006, 15:50
I have a pair of prescription sunnies that I wear. They have top of the line lens/layers on them so glare is never a problem.

Naki Rat
17th September 2006, 12:08
I started with a clear visor and sunnies (take your helmet with you if buying them - bummer when you buy a pair and they don't fit inside your helmet or hurt your head!) but bought a dark tinted visor soon afterwards. I find the tinted one pretty good, but haven't used it much since buying a gold mirrored one. I love the look of it and you can perve at guys at the lights without them knowing!

I would NEVER ride at night with a tinted visor - for a start it is illegal so if you get pulled up you could be ticketed, and secondly it really does lower your vision in the dark, making for a dangerous ride home if the area is not well lit. I even find the tinted ones too dark for some winter rides - especially if I am heading home when the sun is setting.

My Nolan is too snug a fit to get the sunglasses in but fortunately visor changing from clear to iridium (both with fog-city's) is a 10 second task.

Seriously considered a Uvex Predator helmet when purchasing due to the UV rating of the visor but decided the Star Wars styling was too over the top.

A quality UV rated visor perhaps with gradient tinting would be nice - but probably expensive. I also understand photochromatic lensed glasses are a no-no for air pilots due to the tint delay thing so probably not wise for bikers either.

unhingedlizard
17th September 2006, 15:00
Has anyone tried a yellow one? Some folks rekon they are better during rain, good at night and as good as a tintined one during the day.

dawnrazor
18th September 2006, 15:49
I tried some coloured visors once, the yellow/amber ones and the blue ones, both certainly make certain road conditions clearer, however I just felt really spaced out by the hyper reality of the visors, that exaggerated colours and sharpness thing, it can be very distracting in itself, which kinda negates the point....but hey thats just me

paturoa
18th September 2006, 18:57
Silver mirror for day and clear for nights.

The mirror finish scratches real easy :mellow:

NighthawkNZ
20th September 2006, 20:50
I use to have a full black tint but was bad at night, then I got a smoke or lighter tint better but...

Now I got a new helmet with a standard visor and with a second half black tinted visor or drop down sun visor.... is the best helmet i've had in years

http://www.helmetcity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=39-5611&Category_Code=xlitex1002

jade
23rd September 2006, 19:37
Are iridium visors good for day AND night?