PDA

View Full Version : Bike registration/licensing information required

centaurus
13th May 2011, 15:02
Hi guys,

I own quite a few bikes these days and was wondering if there is any legal way of reducing the rego cost on these, given that only I ride them so only one bike si on the road at any given time.

I know that registered bike dealers are allowed to have a "generic" registration plate that can be put on any vehicle, but I don't know how involved is to register yourself as a vehicle dealer.

I was also wondering if there are any vehicle licensing options for car collectors or such, that would help me reduce my expenses on vehicle registration.

Subike
13th May 2011, 15:10
You own a bike mate, the government thinks you are a high risk person.
They want every cent out of your skin they can suck out.
There is no avoidence of the parisitic entities called Nick Smith & ACC.
The end result is $$$$$$$ yours, taken by them, to have a basic enjoyment of freedom of choice.

racefactory
13th May 2011, 15:28
Just put them all on hold and ride on hold (free). It's only a 200 dollar fine if you are caught.

Voltaire
13th May 2011, 15:41
The Police site says:

No current warrant of fitness
$200
No current registration
$200

so at $600 a pop, your still ahead if you get busted 3 times for no rego( unless it happens early in the year)..... might pay to keep the wof up to date...:innocent:
Would not be too hard for 'them' to see mileage increasing on non used vehicles though.....

cbfb
13th May 2011, 16:10
Would not be too hard for 'them' to see mileage increasing on non used vehicles though.....

That's assuming the mileage does actually increase :innocent:

mazz1972
13th May 2011, 16:16
Hi guys,

I own quite a few bikes these days and was wondering if there is any legal way of reducing the rego cost on these, given that only I ride them so only one bike si on the road at any given time.

I know that registered bike dealers are allowed to have a "generic" registration plate that can be put on any vehicle, but I don't know how involved is to register yourself as a vehicle dealer.

I was also wondering if there are any vehicle licensing options for car collectors or such, that would help me reduce my expenses on vehicle registration.

If there was, we'd all be doing it.....

sil3nt
13th May 2011, 16:18
Would not be too hard for 'them' to see mileage increasing on non used vehicles though.....Its on hold because its a track bike :yes:

Murray
13th May 2011, 16:23
Don't you need a registration for a warrent or vice versa?/ If so you can be done $400 a time??

neels
13th May 2011, 16:36
You can WOF a bike with no rego, but you can't rego a bike with no WOF. So it is possible to keep it half legal.

Don't forget the addition of demerits to no rego though.

centaurus
13th May 2011, 17:42
Don't forget the addition of demerits to no rego though.

??????

Last time I checked (quite a long time ago) there weren't any demerit points for no rego.

ac3_snow
13th May 2011, 18:04
??????

Last time I checked (quite a long time ago) there weren't any demerit points for no rego.

Well, that would be the most recent 'brain'wave
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/136526-Demerit-points-hiked-for-unlicensed-vehicles?highlight=demerits
I think that registrations for bikes dropped by half so despite the increase in levies they are still down on takings :laugh:

robinm
13th May 2011, 18:07
Are actually called trade plates, and according to the LTSA here: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/tradeplates.html
there are a few different criteria to get one. If you had a number of vehicles, in one location, would or could you consider that a museum?

centaurus
13th May 2011, 20:03
Are actually called trade plates, and according to the LTSA here: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/tradeplates.html
there are a few different criteria to get one. If you had a number of vehicles, in one location, would or could you consider that a museum?

Yeah... I see that NZ is not different than other countries - politicians are c**ts no matter what country they're from - they make laws to suit them: you need to register and warrant your car for public safety, unless you are an offician, in witch case by law you are entitled to use trade plates on any unregistered vehicle.

FJRider
13th May 2011, 20:12
??????

Yup ... things change though ... :innocent:

pzkpfw
13th May 2011, 21:31
The other thing with dealer plates is the limited uses they are acceptable for.

So even if you got yourself registered as a dealer, that doesn't mean you could use such a plate to do your shopping or touring or pootling or hooning or whatever.