PDA

View Full Version : How do I warm a surfboard to 60 degrees C?

scissorhands
15th May 2011, 10:11
I have just scored this cheap board off TM but it has a bow from being shed stored, near a hot roof while over hanging half its ten foot length, the weight of the the unsupported half caused a drop and now permanent kink in its trueness looking lengthways down the wooden stringer

I can figure out how to support, and how to attach weights to straighten, but I cant figure out the best way to heat the board.

At present I reckon strapped to a bench seat with 2 fan heaters aimed at bend spot so heating is localised to area that needs straightening.

Dont have garage, empty bedroom with a couple of heaters for a hour or two?

A string line held to the central wood stringer will indicate straightness, then any twisting (none at present) will need to be checked again at the end, and adjustments continued till acceptable.

Painters oven would be handy. if it was summer I could have used a van with all the windows up.

Small bedroom should do eh?

Jantar
15th May 2011, 10:30
Cover it in black polythene and put it in the sun. 60 - 80 C will not be a problem.

FJRider
15th May 2011, 10:33
a hot air dryer/blower ... will do the trick ...

nosebleed
15th May 2011, 10:43
LPG heater/ blower from Hirepool.
Talk to a local car painter and "rent" (usually at the price of a box) some floor space in their oven next time they're using it.

scissorhands
15th May 2011, 10:56
I've set it up in the lounge just with 2 dive belts and 1 fan heater, so I can keep an easy eye on it. I think even at lower temps but a long time some straightening may occur

wait and see a bit

BMWST?
15th May 2011, 11:05
as you know roof spaces can get very hot...how about seeing if you can get up into your roof space.It will never get to 60 but will easy get over 30 on a sunny day

scissorhands
15th May 2011, 21:39
Okay very limited success just with the fan aimed at the board. Problems with not enough heat into the board.

Then I tried a electric blanket, could have heated enough as i wrapped lots of blankets but then couldnt observe the string line and may have over corrected the bend.

Now I'm on to it. I just got 2 bicycle boxes from the sports store, spliced them together(still 180mm too short so the tip of the board is sticking out) and made an oven with the fan heater poked in the side.
I made some inspection flaps to monitor the string line and inserted an oven thermometer. The upper temps are stable at 53degrees C. I have weights pulling the center of the board downward, while chocks are under the board 350mm from each end.

Remember this aspergian kid did it first

scissorhands
18th May 2011, 10:01
I now have a straight surfboard!

I think all this could have been achieved done cold over time like 1 or 2 weeks depending on temperatures. The box oven shortened it to one day

Well done:woohoo::woohoo:

geoffm
22nd May 2011, 21:07
I now have a straight surfboard!

I think all this could have been achieved done cold over time like 1 or 2 weeks depending on temperatures. The box oven shortened it to one day

Well done:woohoo::woohoo:

Well done - that is clever that is