PDA

View Full Version : Re 22

Firefight
29th June 2005, 18:30
Re 22.

Disclaimer
Not sure how this is going to come out as I have only just come out of the geek closet and this whole sticking pics thing in is new for me…

As some of you will know I have a slight bias to a section of H/way 22, in particular the section between the Tuakua Bridge and the Raglan turn off at Ohautira Rd.

This section of road is not unlike many other NZ back roads/highways, it has cool twisty sections, some technical stuff, narrow shaded parts of road that hardly see the sun at any part of the day, dips, cracked surface seal, narrow one way bridges, amazing scenery. If you ride sports bikes, adventure bikes, touring, cruisers or trail bikes, there is something for everyone on this bit of road, as I said its not unlike many other NZ roads, it just so happens that this bit is in my back yard, I don’t know how many times I have ridden this bit of road over the last few years, I guess it would have to be 150+ I never get bored with it.

Like most of NZ roads, you can expect to encounter wandering stock, campervans, logging trucks, milk tankers, stock trucks farmers on tractors and of course the odd turkey, we have even been buzzed by crop duster planes and helicopters(Not Eagle).

The road is in pretty good nick considering the amount of heavy traffic that use it on a daily basis; I have hopefully managed to attach some pics for you.

There are two service stations on this part of 22, one at Pukekawa and one at Glen Murray, both normally are open to midday on Saturday.

Just past the Raglan turn off (Ohautira rd) are the Waingaro hot springs, the owner is bike friendly, and it’s a great safe place to stop, park the bike and have a refreshing dip, or rark about on the slide before continuing on.

Normally when we do this road we continue on past the hot springs to Ngaruawhaia and stop at the BP for coffee, gas and a chat.

If you chose to go to Raglan via Ohautira rd, there is a small amount of metal road about 3-5 ks, which is fine to ride for sports bikes (despite what some think)

One of the other great things about this road are the slight variations of route that can be taken for example, Hetherington Rd to Huntly or Huntly to Hetherington is a great road for bikes, some great scenery from the top of the range.

Also the Glen Murray to Rangiriri road is pretty cool.

Another great aspect of this road is the lack of the weekend traffic that we seem to encounter on other more popular roads, and apart from the odd CVIU cop, there are
Hardly ever any cops on this road, I can only think of one time when I have seen/been stopped by a cop on 22

F/F

bugjuice
29th June 2005, 18:38
nice write up, and good shots..
gotta love the 22..

justsomeguy
29th June 2005, 18:46
nice write up, and good shots..
gotta love the 22..

We are gonna use pic one in the road test vid aren't we??

say :yes:

Awesome road - if only it was a little closer to home I'd have both Scenic Drive:love: and 22 to play with :banana:

FROSTY
29th June 2005, 18:54
fantastic bit of road --Some lucky sods live with it in their backyard.
One bit you left out FF --If you're in the mood to just cruise,the scenery is pretty darned spectacular.

sAsLEX
29th June 2005, 19:12
150? thats on the low side I would say FF!

but yeah a cool bit of road, for having a blat or slowing down and relaxing with a view!

Zed
29th June 2005, 20:00
Like most of NZ roads, you can expect to encounter wandering stock, campervans, logging trucks, milk tankers, stock trucks farmers on tractors and of course the odd turkey, we have even been buzzed by crop duster planes and helicopters(Not Eagle).Yes I remember that day the copter flew over and beside us, it was a buzz. My visor got covered in spray from it!

Re 22.

Disclaimer
Not sure how this is going to come out as I have only just come out of the geek closet and this whole sticking pics thing in is new for me…

As some of you will know I have a slight bias to a section of H/way 22, in particular the section between the Tuakua Bridge and the Raglan turn off at Ohautira Rd.
Well written Dave, I recognise most of the pics (you geek).

Hey one thing you neglected to comment on was your availability and willingness to help other KBers out if they break down on 22 or thereabouts! I commend you for this my biker friend! :2thumbsup

DingDong
29th June 2005, 20:06
i might head over one weekend now...

oldfart
29th June 2005, 20:20
[QUOTE=FROSTY]fantastic bit of road --Some lucky sods live with it in their backyard.

Mate this is Auckland's back yard & it's far more cop friendly than SH16

Motu
29th June 2005, 20:43
I've been riding 22 since I got the XLV750 in 1999,but of course have ridden it even earlier,way back to the 70s.I always do the full SH22 to Te Uku and have my break in Raglan.Now I live in Huntly 22 is really in my back yard....there are a lot more roads than SH22 and I have been on nearly all of them - I'm looking forward to being able to go out my drive and be on the best riding roads before my bike has a chance to warm up.

Wellyman
29th June 2005, 20:50
One bit you left out FF --If you're in the mood to just cruise,the scenery is pretty darned spectacular.

When you get to your age Frosty you have only one speed huh mate: cruise :devil2:

HDTboy
29th June 2005, 20:52
I use 22 whenever I go to hamilton now unless it's raining (relative noob)
You forgot one photo

FROSTY
29th June 2005, 21:14
its a bit harder for me when I have a 2 hour ride window. 3/4 of an hour each way to 22 doesnt leave a lot of riding on 22

FROSTY
29th June 2005, 21:17
When you get to your age Frosty you have only one speed huh mate: cruise :devil2:
Yea what can I say -Im just a slow old fart :devil2:

oldfart
29th June 2005, 21:46
Yea what can I say -Im just a slow old fart :devil2:

can relate to that

2_SL0
29th June 2005, 21:53
Well I have to admit its one of my favourite roads, its a regular on my riding calender. If you havent ridden it, its a must if you live in Auckland.
Nice write up FF.

WINJA
29th June 2005, 21:56
LIKE ME FROSTY

Marmoot
29th June 2005, 23:27
FF,
do you happen by, any chance, to have the complete topographical map of the SH22 from end-to-end along with the elevation markings, corner radius and the numbered pothole list?
Might improve my time by 1.3 seconds on our next run.
:yes:

P.S.
Good write up!

Motoracer
30th June 2005, 11:38
Well done Dave. Dispite the technical set backs, I am glad you were able to put this thread together for everyone to see.

If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have loved SH22 as much as I do now. I had done it before and thought it was OK but from your enthusiasm of SH22, I got the 22 bug as well and I now consider it to be one of my favourate bit of roads to ride on as well.

Well done and A+ for you for being able to pull off something as technical as attaching pics, at your age. :)

V Twin Raver
30th June 2005, 12:06
Thanks for the info there Dave - I must take a ride down there sometime.

stify
30th June 2005, 13:19
nice write up dave,

still remember my first wobble down 22,was dec 2003 on me spanking new 250
got passed by a yellow vtr,watched with amazment as he buggered off round
the next bend,then hit one of those dip things and bounced off me seat an squishin me nads for the first time on a bike....ah memories

i prefer the run back to tuakau in the afternoons,sun strike just adds that extra element

cu u's out there

Riff Raff
30th June 2005, 15:10
Gotta love 22 - and now that I'm not going down to Welly on my days off anymore I can start enjoying it again, and have the pleasure of attempting to keep up with WT! Yeehaa!

Firefight
30th June 2005, 15:26
and have some pleasure with WT! Yeehaa!

hoi, :nono: we don,t want to hear about that, and btw, when is the AK piss up to welcome him ?

F/F :ride:

marty
30th June 2005, 16:07
hey motu - have a look at waikere rd, behind lake waikere, between ohinewai rd and waeranga rd te kauwhata. another awesome off-road road near you is ohinewai rd, from waikere over to sh29 - it's like the 309 or tapu-coroglen, but better!

Coldkiwi
1st July 2005, 13:35
If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have loved SH22 as much as I do now. I had done it before and thought it was OK but from your enthusiasm of SH22, I got the 22 bug as well and I now consider it to be one of my favourate bit of roads to ride on as well.

ah well, maybe there's hope for this SH22 cynic yet! I really oughta get back out there now that i've got some decent tyres on again.

good write up dave

Two Smoker
5th July 2005, 08:58
Dave your a bloody legend for all sorts of reasons.. Namely cause you led me on my first ever jaunt through 22.. remember that day?
Fuck I wish I had a licence I would go to the nearest bottle shop and buy a big bloody Bundy and bring it to your humble cottage... by the way I was at Bundaburg the other day

Good to see you back Glen :niceone: Hope you had a great trip :niceone:

loosebruce
7th July 2005, 00:26
When i first read ya write up dave, i was all yeah it's okay but it's not that great a road, that kinda changed last Sunday, had a bloody great ride, pity your elderly arse6 couldn't keep up. But i'll be hitting 22 more regularly now and if all goes to plan with my new business, i might be taking lunch breaks more often. Still would like to get up north and explore a bit more, but for roads closer to home than the coromandel, 22's the shizzle.
I'm with MR on you posting pics, top effort old man, mind you i dont have a clue how to do it.

Big Dave
7th July 2005, 14:44
Send it and the pics to editor@kiwirider.co.nz for inclusion in the 'readers roads' page. :ride:

Big Dave
7th July 2005, 14:46
mind you i dont have a clue how to do it.

Scroll down till you see the 'manage attachments' button and it's all straight froward from thar.

MSTRS
7th July 2005, 15:22
Looks like an Orkland-style rush hour in those pics - you know,. nothing's moving :whistle:
Good report. I can see why you northerly types rave about 22, must try to get there myself one day before the tar snakes take over completely.