PDA

View Full Version : V-Rod or Rocket III?

Dafe
29th June 2005, 19:19
Hey fellow bikers.

I'm really keen to hear from people who have riden both 2005 V-Rods and Rocket III's.
I'm in love with the harley cruiser after riding it last weekend. It was a VRSCR model. Bummer I was running short on time and didn't get the opportunity to ride the triumph rocket III.
I would love to hear your thoughts after riding the two.
I will ride them both next weekend, but in the meantime am curious for your opinions.
P.S. To anybody on the site, who loves big bikes but has only ridden Jappers - Go book a cruiser ride with a harley. Its opened up a whole new definition to motorcycling for me.

DingDong
29th June 2005, 20:42
I havent ridden eitherof them... and if I had a spare 30-40k my wife would make me put it on the mortage.

Cruisers are for certain types... Im not one of them.

Bonez
30th June 2005, 07:41
Hey fellow bikers.

I'm really keen to hear from people who have riden both 2005 V-Rods and Rocket III's.
I'm in love with the harley cruiser after riding it last weekend. It was a VRSCR model. Bummer I was running short on time and didn't get the opportunity to ride the triumph rocket III.
I will ride them both next weekend, but in the meantime am curious for your opinions.
P.S. To anybody on the site, who loves big bikes but has only ridden Jappers - Go book a cruiser ride with a harley. Its opened up a whole new definition to motorcycling for me.Rumour has it that Rocket IIIs snap footpegs when going around roundabouts. Would make a good basis for a trike.

Krusti
30th June 2005, 07:51
Mate owns a Rocket 3 and a Street Rod....loves both but reckons if one had to go it would be the Rocket. Followed the Steet Rod through the Awakino Gorge last weekend....it corners!

Krusti
30th June 2005, 07:53
He did the Southern Cross on the Rocket and said he was pleasantly surprised with how it went....torque is addictive!

Lou Girardin
30th June 2005, 08:19
The Street Rod is better in the twisty's, but that Rocket torque is addictive.

Dafe
30th June 2005, 20:43
Torque is good! At the moment I prefer the harley VRod. But for five grand less, I could consider a Rocket.... Such a hard decision...

Indiana_Jones
30th June 2005, 20:56
Being a pommie in all I'd say Rocket III :D
But A Bonnie would be way better then the V-rod or rocket III :ride:

-Indy

sels1
30th June 2005, 21:47

Funny you should ask, I rode them both last weekend. As a person who wasnt into cruisers it was an intersting and enjoyable experience - I appreciate these beasties a bit more now - I might consider owning one sometime. And my choice? I loved the Rocket

Bonez
1st July 2005, 08:15
Personnally when I make a vehicle purchase total cost of ownership is a major consideration, not just wank factor and country/brand loyalty. You how, such servicing I can do myself, what is the cost of replacement items such as tyres filters etc, am I realy getting good value for my hardearned, how does it compare with other m/cs of the same capacity/styling not just brit/yank stuff. Get away from that emotional/advertising hoop la as it where. I'm sure a lot of other riders would do similar. :Punk:

sels1
1st July 2005, 08:35
Personnally when I make a vehicle purchase total cost of ownership is a major consideration, not just wank factor and country/brand loyalty. You how, such servicing I can do myself, what is the cost of replacement items such as tyres filters etc, am I realy getting good value for my hardearned, how does it compare with other m/cs of the same capacity/styling not just brit/yank stuff. Get away from that emotional/advertising hoop la as it where. I'm sure a lot of other riders would do similar. :Punk:

I agree. Owning some of these big cruisers is a bit like owning a boat - an expensive (but fun) toy that only goes out on the weekend. I chose my bike because of its versatility and practicality. Altho I must say maintenence has been a bit higher than expected so might be heading back to Jap equivient some time.

Big Dave
1st July 2005, 09:07
Get away from that emotional/advertising hoop la as it where.

So does that mean you called everyone who has bought one a wanker?

It has nothing to do with advertising hoopla - it's about taste and style.
And If you're doing well enough to lay down $33 - 35K on a motorcycle, running costs probably aren't really the issue.
Plus they come with 2 year warranties that require authorised service

Bonez
1st July 2005, 09:09
And If you're doing well enough to lay down $33 - 35K on a motorcycle, running costs probably aren't really the issue.
Yes they are. Could buy one tomorrow if I wanted............ :yes:

Bonez
1st July 2005, 09:11
Bugger!! double posting sucks. :nono:

Big Dave
1st July 2005, 09:23
Yes they are. Could buy one tomorrow if I wanted............ :yes:

Yeah me too - if fact taking AMPS demo on the RAT ride on Sunday and have my eyes on the black 2nd hand one on the floor.

Bonez
1st July 2005, 15:56
Yeah me too - if fact taking AMPS demo on the RAT ride on Sunday and have my eyes on the black 2nd hand one on the floor.I hope it works out well.

TriumphMan
1st July 2005, 16:06
Hey fellow bikers.

P.S. To anybody on the site, who loves big bikes but has only ridden Jappers - Go book a cruiser ride with a harley. Its opened up a whole new definition to motorcycling for me.
I went to the demo day at wellington motorcycles. I looked at the VROD and then looked at the Triumph. I didn't ride the VROD but after 20 minutes on the Rocket I bought one. I think that you would really need to push a tight roundabout to snap the pegs as it handles like no other cruiser I ever rode. I had originally gone in to get a Speedmaster. Apparently the warranty is 3 years as opposed to the standard two year and the service intervals are supposed to be 16000km, yeah right. Either way, you are going to buy a lot of chrome polish.

Lou Girardin
1st July 2005, 16:16
Apparently the warranty is 3 years as opposed to the standard two year and the service intervals are supposed to be 16000km, yeah right. Either way, you are going to buy a lot of chrome polish.

That's right. Just like car engines. 147 hp from 2.3 litres is less than a Mazda 6.
It should last forever.