PDA

View Full Version : Importing parts?

Motig
20th May 2011, 17:45
Can anyone point me to the idiots guide on how to do this ? I gather when the article arrives in the country you have to pay GST on what the item cost you including postage plus approx $38 for MAF and some other thing. Does customs let you know the items arrived in the country so you know what to pay or what ? And can someone confirm that the above is all that is payed and theres no duty on motorcycle parts. My apologies as this has probably been covered several times but the only relevant thread I found seemed more to be an argument re local vs import.

Cary
20th May 2011, 17:56
I get parts in a now and again and don't pay gst. Not had to pay any MAF fees.

Shop around for parts and cost of p&p as that varies A LOT.

Don't think the local bike shops know anything about internet shopping, prices they charge.............

If i can get it here as cheap i do but that doesn't happen often on bigger ticket items.

Talking about small purchases here not container loads or anything.

Shadowjack
20th May 2011, 18:10
If you haven't already, have a look at www.customs.govt.nz

Gremlin
20th May 2011, 18:15
Keeping it real short and simple.

Packages coming in are assessed by Customs. If over $400 (inc shipping) or about $60 GST's worth, they charge you GST plus a handling fee. They ring you, and you have to sort out payment (right then and there with credit card is easiest). Package is then carried on through the delivery process.

You MAY win the lottery, and not have packages caught by Customs, but it's pure odds, and expect to pay.

Motig
20th May 2011, 19:25
Thanks folks thats what I wanted to know.

cheshirecat
20th May 2011, 19:55
Ebay is certainly worth a look - Used it a few times for camera stuff..
latest just found a complete set of pads (two front, one rear) for about$70 landed after being quoted $220 (honda part) for a set for the rear disc by a local honda dealer.

Laava
20th May 2011, 22:31
the only relevant thread I found seemed more to be an argument .

Yip, doesn't take much to get the trolls going in here!