PDA

View Full Version : Speeding is Bullshit

justsomeguy
30th June 2005, 02:58
:headbang: http://www.speedingisbullshit.com/ :Punk:

John
30th June 2005, 03:01
amen, I travel how I want if I feel like going fast I do so If I see a cop I may or maynot slow down. Who cares? fuck the man :lol:.

Bonez
30th June 2005, 07:52
amen, I travel how I want if I feel like going fast I do so If I see a cop I may or maynot slow down. Who cares? fuck the man :lol:.You :devil2: you.

Lou Girardin
30th June 2005, 08:22
Oooh, you naughty, naughty boys. Speeders are mad dog, home invading killers dontcha know?
BTW there's around 1.3 million of 'em.

Bonez
30th June 2005, 08:38
Oooh, you naughty, naughty boys. Speeders are mad dog, home invading killers dontcha know?
BTW there's around 1.3 million of 'em.Nice lil earner for the Gov ah?

inlinefour
30th June 2005, 08:44
It looks like is not a NZ site. I'm sure that some of it is relevant, but how much?

bugjuice
30th June 2005, 09:01
well, for one, if there weren't any speed cameras to 'collect the revenue', then more would be put on fuel, so you'd just bitch about that.

What's another way of stopping people speeding then?
This is an old debate that's getting grey and smelly. Newer bikes, cars etc can achieve faster, safer speeds. Older cars, bikes etc can achieve these speeds too. But the people behind the wheel are the ones that can hack the speeds. There's the danger.
I do think the laws should be relaxed when there's cicumstances like the arse-end of nowhere with no one around for fukin miles and miles, and there's a camera van waiting for you. Fukin well done.

aff-man
30th June 2005, 10:35
Ditto BJ :rofl: :rofl:

now that that merriment is over. it's the age old fact of bla bla bla. and i think there has been some contention you know. REstricted riders can only ride 250's (which can atill do bloody good speeds but it takes a loooooooooong stright to do so) where punk ass boys racers can get thier daddie's twin turbo death machine and drive it.

I think too much emphasis is put on what they are doing and not enough is being done about the who and where. Sure young guys(and gals) crave speed etc etc etc but then so do older guys n' gals. The difference is experience. I have had a few moments where i know if i had only been riding for 6 months or a year i wouldv'e cocked up big time......

As to how this australian article relates to nz. Bottom line.We both have revenue collectors who are doing nothing to improve road safety.

gaggan
30th June 2005, 10:56
YOU WHANT TO TRY LIVING HERE IN BANGOR CO DOWN N/IRELAND.
WE HAVE POLICE ON BLADES,R1.S, BUT THE THE RACE AT THE START IS GOOD AS YOU DID NOT NOTICE THE WHITE LID WITH "POLICE" ACROSS IT "DHO

YES OFFICER I THOUGH YOU WHERE A MAD MAN CHASEING ME THAT IS WHY I DID 130MPH AND PUT MY KNEE ON THE DECK AND NO I DID NOT NOTICE THE BLUE LIGHTS BUILT IN TO TOUR MIRROR :weird: :Punk:

Wolf
30th June 2005, 11:04
WE HAVE POLICE ON BLADES,R1.S, BUT THE THE RACE AT THE START IS GOOD AS YOU DID NOT NOTICE THE WHITE LID WITH "POLICE" ACROSS IT "DHO

YES OFFICER I THOUGH YOU WHERE A MAD MAN CHASEING ME THAT IS WHY I DID 130MPH AND PUT MY KNEE ON THE DECK AND NO I DID NOT NOTICE THE BLUE LIGHTS BUILT IN TO TOUR MIRROR :weird: :Punk:
Welcome to the kb gargre, gaggan.

Where abouts in NZ are you heading for?

:drinkup: Slainte

bugjuice
30th June 2005, 11:25

cops riding R1s? now there's a challenge.
I do remember seeing the odd 'unmarked' cop bike in the UK, but forget what bikes they were. Didn't see many either. Now that'd be my dream job..

Lou Girardin
30th June 2005, 11:31

Ssssshhhhhh! Someone in Plod headquarters will hear you.

Flyingpony
30th June 2005, 12:33
:headbang: http://www.speedingisbullshit.com/ :Punk:

Worse still, many devices are badly placed, resulting in motorists panic-braking to avoid being "flashed" and putting drivers behind them in danger.

I've been at the tail end of (Edit: had six car's in front) some serious braking sessions when people suddenly noticed the flash of a speed camera. Their reaction to avoid getting flashed is just a dangerous as when they suddenly get blinded by a glass building reflection.

bugjuice
30th June 2005, 12:46
but the flash is the end of it. By the time you have been flashed, it's way too late to hit the brakes..

I once heard thee most stupid comment I have ever heard with regards to speed cameras. It's from the UK, and I remember it word for word, just becuase it was so fukin stupid;

'The elder drivers are more likely to get a speeding ticket from a camera as they aren't often quick enough to look in their rear view mirror...'

since when has looking in the mirror got you off a ticket from a camera? fukin :weird:

Lou Girardin
30th June 2005, 16:58
but the flash is the end of it. By the time you have been flashed, it's way too late to hit the brakes..

I once heard thee most stupid comment I have ever heard with regards to speed cameras. It's from the UK, and I remember it word for word, just becuase it was so fukin stupid;

'The elder drivers are more likely to get a speeding ticket from a camera as they aren't often quick enough to look in their rear view mirror...'

since when has looking in the mirror got you off a ticket from a camera? fukin :weird:

UK ones photograph the rear. But seeing it in the mirror still won't save you.

vifferman
30th June 2005, 17:01

Instead of just measuring your speed and flashing you at one camera as our ones do, the UK ones measure your speed between two points, so that's quite correct. After noticing you've gone past a Gatso, you can slow down before you get to the second one.

TygerTung
30th June 2005, 17:14
Yeah I notice that it's strange that the speed camera vans are put in places where there is likely people to be speeding, ie 7 o clock in the morning on long straights, rather than in places where there is often accidents?

Whats up with that?

Ixion
30th June 2005, 17:27
Yeah I notice that it's strange that the speed camera vans are put in places where there is likely people to be speeding, ie 7 o clock in the morning on long straights, rather than in places where there is often accidents?

Whats up with that?

Cos at the places where there are accidents MOST people are careful, cos they realise it is dangerous. Those that are not careful, of course, crash. Most people travelling slowly, therefore , less revenue.

What is the point of having a speed camera placed where it will not maximise returns ?

bugjuice
30th June 2005, 17:33
Instead of just measuring your speed and flashing you at one camera as our ones do, the UK ones measure your speed between two points, so that's quite correct. After noticing you've gone past a Gatso, you can slow down before you get to the second one.
If you re-read what you wrote, you put the same thing, but different! They both work pretty the same, mesuring the time over a set gap, and the gap isn't that big, so by the time you notice it, it's way to late anyway..

TygerTung
30th June 2005, 20:19
Cos at the places where there are accidents MOST people are careful, cos they realise it is dangerous. Those that are not careful, of course, crash. Most people travelling slowly, therefore , less revenue.

What is the point of having a speed camera placed where it will not maximise returns ?

I feel that speed camera's should be about road safety, not just gathering revenue for bloody polititions free lunches!

Lou Girardin
1st July 2005, 08:23

On the TOP GEAR demo, the one Gatso flashed twice. That's why, at over 172 mph, they can't get a speed check. You're out of range.
Are you thinking of VASCAR?

Drew
1st July 2005, 14:03
Seems to me, that site is just a bit of a rant session. We allready know what they are saying, but we live in a society where minority rules. Speed cameras are obviously a revenew gathering device, Highway snakes have a quota to fill, and we all play right in to there hands, by continueing to offend.
Look at it this way, in order for us to have a problem with them, we must have broken the law by speeding, (weather or not the speed limit is realistic in this day, is irrelevent,) ergo, we have no right to stand up and bitch about them.
Don't get me wrong, I hate all fuckin highway snakes, and would burn down every speed camera I could, (given half the chance), But the law says I'm a criminal, for speeding. What-ya-gonna-do?
p.s.
If any KB's happen to be a filthy highway snake, "ha ha, you didn't have what it takes, to become a real cop!" :motu:

Lou Girardin
1st July 2005, 14:50
S

If any KB's happen to be a filthy highway snake, "ha ha, you didn't have what it takes, to become a real cop!" :motu:

They have to be "real cops" first. You don't go straight into traffic.
Maybe if a law is so widely flouted, it's a bad law.

scumdog
2nd July 2005, 00:02
They have to be "real cops" first. You don't go straight into traffic.
Maybe if a law is so widely flouted, it's a bad law.

Too true Lou, you have to have what it takes to become STU/HP. :rofl:

And agree to a certain extent with you second comment too, - but it's still law..

eliot-ness
2nd July 2005, 06:45
Speeding must be the cause of more rants than any other subject in motorcycling but I wonder how many people realise how far back the problem goes. Looked up a few facts. (stuff all else to do at 2.30am)
1896. The law that demanded all powered vehicles must be preceded by a man carying a red flag was repealed. Speed limit increased to 12 mph. Bikers complained they had only to push their bikes to get a ticket.. Police were accused of being over keen.
1905 limit increased to 20mph. Bikers and car drivers testing their vehicles posted watchers to warn when police were around. (Police still had pushbikes). Later, a group of motorists formed a paid group of watchers in the form of cyclists who toured the back roads acting as lookouts. Within months of forming the group became known as the AA. and a motorcycle combination joined the ranks. Soon more motorcyclists joined and the familiar wave to warn of police presence was started. Police complained to parliament about this action, so, to avoid prosecution, the AA only waved when police weren't around. No law against not waving. This warning continued until the 60s when the AA changed to minivans.
In 1921 the police got their first pursuit bikes. By 1928 the 'flying squad' were using unmarked vehicles. Speeding prosecutions required two officers. One to check the speed, the other as a witness. Soon after the Hendon police driving school was formed.

Working from memory now. 1955 to 1960 open roads were unlimited (U.K.) Oil shortages saw the introduction of blanket speed limits, max. 60mph. This was soon followed by a temporary 50mph imit. Accidents, particularly nose to tail and overtaking increased. This prompted a no overtaking law. Double lines were painted on all roads. Overtaking was only allowed where they left a gap. More accidents, more prosecutions for dangerous driving. Politicians began to realise there was money to be made. All previous laws pertaining to speeding were dropped. Police now only needed one man per car and a charge of dangerous driving could be brought if no speeding evidence was availlable. In the mid 60s the first speed cameras made an appearance. At first, warning signs were erected in areas where they were in operation. These were soon dropped and the current war against speedsters began.
At no time has it been proved that speed was a major factor in the majority of accidents. The reverse has often been the case. Huge nose to tail accidents on the motorways of the UK and Europe are usually the result of traffic being restricted to one speed, i.e. 16 wheeler trucks. Ferraris, Morris Minors etc all travelling at the posted limit with no allowance for vehicle age or performance. A recipe for disaster, but unlimited potential for the revenue collectors.
Now, despite all the safety factors built into modern machines, we are stuck with the same speed limits as we had 40 years ago. Fatalities are still rising, and as usual bikers and motorists are getting the blame. Politicians will never admit they got it wrong. More acccidents will lead to more restrictions and heavier penalties and police will have to enforce more ridiculous laws. Being on the front line, they get the backlash.. Some may be over enthusiastic but the vast majority are doing a thankless job that I for one wouldn't want.

----------------------------------

Depression is anger without enthusiasm

Drew
2nd July 2005, 12:29
I would quote you elliot ness, but that would take up another page. You are right about the cops only enforcing law they had no part in inventing, but do they have to be such asses about it, I will quote the last cop that pulled me over. "Restricted liscence eh? In that case, (chuckle chuckle,) 113kph is 42kph over the limit, not 13 as I was going to site you for." Now is that something, a civil servent, just doing his jos would say, or a deliberate attempt to piss me off. After he said that, without thinking, I told him he was a "filthy snake cunt, just being an asshole," to which he made no attempt to refute.
I am only trying to point out, They need not be so vindictive, if they are only doing what they have to. And in my experience, it is the majority that are this way.