PDA

View Full Version : uk to nz

goaters
30th June 2005, 04:05
Hi i`m looking for some help and advice, at the moment i live on the Isle of Arran in the west coast of Scotland and me and my partner would very much like to live and work in Newzealand, the climate and way of life look to be better than here in the uk.
And my bikes wont rust as much.
Has anyone on this site made a similar move. :cold:

Thanks Nick

Jantar
30th June 2005, 04:22
Welcome to the site goaters,

TOADS moved over here from the UK about 18 months ago.

Lewis_Walker has recently (or is still in the process) moved over here.

You'll find them in the membership list.

Now take my advice and don't even consider moving here just yet. There is snow down to low levels and a bloody cold SW wind howling through. These conditions are expected to last until July 10th, the day after the Lions 3rd test. After that the Barmy Army will return to Britain and we'll be back to our normal glorious motorcycling weather. You would find it much better then. :whistle:

RiderInBlack
30th June 2005, 08:05
Now take my advice and don't even consider moving here just yet. There is snow down to low levels and a bloody cold SW wind howling through.Only for you poor Mainlanders and Central Northlander, Melcome:eyepoke: No snow up here in the "Winterless" North. Don't let that fool you but. We get plenty of rain with the odd bit of frost and hail up here in Northland. Melcome (Jantar) lives in the driest place in NZ and only Westcoasters get more rain than were I live.

jimbo600
30th June 2005, 08:13
Hi i`m looking for some help and advice, at the moment i live on the Isle of Arran in the west coast of Scotland and me and my partner would very much like to live and work in Newzealand, the climate and way of life look to be better than here in the uk.

Thanks Nick

Mate in 1996 I left the RAF and took a year off to do a 'around the world trip.' Got as far as NZ and here I still am. Kiwi citizen and all now eh bro. I have never looked back and love the place. It is easy to get along here and the standard of living is far superior to that of the UK. My advice is to just do it. the hardest thing is only to commit to the decision. Try and organise work before departure as this will make getting residency easier.

MSTRS
30th June 2005, 09:17

Thanks Nick
Furnish my gargre with a new K51000 & I'll see what I can do for you....

Eurygnomes
30th June 2005, 09:44
I think XP@ is also an expat (hmmm...now...where was the clue?). I moved here from England when I was six. My family rode there and don't ride so much here (no need for such a long commute in New Plymouth). I'm intending on returning to Europe (Prague baby!!!), and XP@ attempted to convince me that it's better motorcycling here! :)

zadok
30th June 2005, 09:55
Welcome to K.B. N.Z is a beautiful place and I don't think you would regret it. Have you heard of Dunedin? I've never lived there, but it is/was very Scottish apparently (look at the name).

Biff
30th June 2005, 11:38
I'm a fellow celt, and moved here from Wales last October. If you want any specific information, or general advice feel free to PM me.

Good luck.

RiderInBlack
30th June 2005, 13:14
Have you heard of Dunedin? I've never lived there, but it is/was very Scottish apparently (look at the name).Waipu up here is also a Scot settlement. Has Highland games every year on New Years Day and is a lot warmer than Dunedin:cold:

Jabez
30th June 2005, 13:23
Welcome to the site Goaters.
Mybe we will see you in NZ soon....:)

boomer
30th June 2005, 21:24
Been here 5 years, from tut Norf England. Meeza not going home !!!

:ride:

You'll fit in easily, all scotts know how to do the 'haka'

Odin
30th June 2005, 21:40
Came over here from Denmark in 95. Only had a year back in the old country to show the kids of to the family. Se if you can apply for work visa and all that before you get here. I think its easiest to get prior. I married my way in so i guess i can't help to much in that regards other then saying that it takes time....a long time :drinkup: But NZ is a beautiful country and the people here are great.

Welcome anyway

unhingedlizard
30th June 2005, 21:54
I moved over here from Glenshee in 2000.
Havent looked back. In fact, my folks and brother are moving over next year!

toads
30th June 2005, 21:57
Welcome to the site goaters,

TOADS moved over here from the UK about 18 months ago.

Lewis_Walker has recently (or is still in the process) moved over here.

You'll find them in the membership list.

Now take my advice and don't even consider moving here just yet. There is snow down to low levels and a bloody cold SW wind howling through. These conditions are expected to last until July 10th, the day after the Lions 3rd test. After that the Barmy Army will return to Britain and we'll be back to our normal glorious motorcycling weather. You would find it much better then. :whistle:

Ummmm, sorry mate I've been here well over 30 years now, bit of a communication error I think!, I think Lewis is still in the process of coming to NZ though.

TwoSeven
30th June 2005, 22:28
Its getting closer to 30% of the population are foreigners now.

Odin
30th June 2005, 22:32

...we are taking over the country ..... just watch out :shifty: ;)

goaters
1st July 2005, 03:23
Many thanks to all so far, if it was up to me we would be in nz asap but i still have to persuade my partner gail (she is the true scot, i moved here from England as a kid 30 years ago) that less rain and even fewer midges would be a good thing.

As for work i dont think that would be a problem, i am a joiner to trade and would hope to find a job befor we moved out.

I would like to live in the north island away from the rain as much as posible or anywhere that has less rain than Arran.

The better climate would also help our hobbies ie motor bikes, mountian bikes, hill walking, and the great out doors in general.

When (if) we did move it would be within 12 months at the earliest so keep the posts coming in and i will show them to the boss as so far you have all been very helpfull.

Thanks Nick

MSTRS
1st July 2005, 09:21
I would like to live in the north island away from the rain as much as posible

Generally that would be Hawkes Bay (although lately I'm not so sure). East side of both islands has less rain/more sun than the west

toads
1st July 2005, 09:46
Many thanks to all so far, if it was up to me we would be in nz asap but i still have to persuade my partner gail (she is the true scot, i moved here from England as a kid 30 years ago) that less rain and even fewer midges would be a good thing.

As for work i dont think that would be a problem, i am a joiner to trade and would hope to find a job befor we moved out.

I would like to live in the north island away from the rain as much as posible or anywhere that has less rain than Arran.

The better climate would also help our hobbies ie motor bikes, mountian bikes, hill walking, and the great out doors in general.

When (if) we did move it would be within 12 months at the earliest so keep the posts coming in and i will show them to the boss as so far you have all been very helpfull.

Thanks Nick

Come to Gisborne, best place in NZ

MikeL
1st July 2005, 12:07
If you're not committed to a big city because of employment/business or educational opportunities, you will do a lot better in one of the provincial centres. Certainly the east coast of the north island has better weather than most other places (though you could look at the top of the south island as well (Nelson/Blenheim/Marlborough). Gisborne is a great place, underrated I think, because it is a bit isolated - but heaps of sunshine and some excellent beaches, and property prices half what you'd pay in Auckland. Alternatives would be Hawkes Bay (Napier) or Bay of Plenty (Tauranga/Mt Maunganui) but housing would be more expensive. Almost anywhere you go will give you easy access to great roads, mountains, bush and beaches... if that's what you're into. Or you could come to Auckland and experience all the disadvantages of living in London or Los Angeles without the benefits...

ManDownUnder
1st July 2005, 12:24

I'm a kiwi through and through, but I'm not all here...

...would you take that into account when calculating the 30% number you mentioned?

TwoSeven
1st July 2005, 13:49
I would suggest that you save up and do the camper van tour in the summer before throwing your lot in and moving out.

Moving to a country thats in the backwaters of no-where can be quite difficult because you give up doing a lot of stuff you take for granted (especially if your a city person). I still get frustrated that I cant just go down the road and buy a part for my bike and that everything is always 2 weeks from japan and I've been here most of my life.

The other thing that takes a bit of getting used to is how slow kiwis are at doing things. I'm used to asking for something to be done and getting a prompt result - however, in this country your lucky if they'll phone you back by the end of the week if at all (although it is improving). I'm used to living in europe and asia where you do things promptly or give them a time when its done, none of this she'll be right, have it when I do it crap - which is a bit of a culture shock if you are not expecting it.

Having said all that, its the end of the lunch time rush hour where I live and I cant hear a single car, I can walk around the corner to the supermarket (like buggery - i'll take the car) and spend my $40 on the weeks shopping. This is the main reason I keep coming back here - I can shut the door from the hustle and bustle of living and working in the real world and just de-stress. :)

Ixion
1st July 2005, 13:53
I would suggest that you save up and do the camper van tour in the summer before throwing your lot in and moving out.

Moving to a country thats in the backwaters of no-where can be quite difficult because you give up doing a lot of stuff you take for granted (especially if your a city person)...

heh heh . He's coming from the bustling metropolis of the Isle of Arran !

eliot-ness
1st July 2005, 15:44
Just do it mate. Use the same excuse that I used. "It's only for a couple of years then if you don't like it we'll come home." That was thirty years ago. Never did go back myself. The wife goes back every couple of years and brags about how good things are here. Bloody good place to live, good food, high standard of living, cheap gas, (compared to U.K.) Wages good and pretty low unemployment. Heaps of work in your line. Building boom at the moment and shortage of skilled workers. Roads are mainly good, Probably more traffic than Arran but stuff all compared to the rest of U.K.. Bike prices are about the same but not many rusty ones. Great beaches and walking tracks.
Swimming six months of the year in WARM water. Fishing's brilliant, Bike riding ditto. If the wife/girlfriend gets homesick she can call home at prices you would't believe, The missus rings twice a week, 2hrs per call, and it costs around 6 quid. Can't think of one thing to knock it on. If you can survive on Arran you'll think you're in heaven over here.
If you want to compare prices etc PM me with a list of things you want to know.

marty
1st July 2005, 15:53
Having said all that, its the end of the lunch time rush hour where I live and I cant hear a single car, I can walk around the corner to the supermarket (like buggery - i'll take the car) and spend my $40 on the weeks shopping. This is the main reason I keep coming back here - I can shut the door from the hustle and bustle of living and working in the real world and just de-stress. :)

the stoning begins @ 6pm

marty
1st July 2005, 15:56
if you don't like rain though, don't move to auckland. or anywhere on the west coast.

i was in inverness about 18 months ago (xmas), and it wasn't too different to how it is here right now....

RiderInBlack
1st July 2005, 15:58
As for work i dont think that would be a problem, i am a joiner to trade and would hope to find a job befor we moved out.Tradesmen are always in need, so you should be set where ever you wish to live in NZ as long as you are not too far from a town. Lots of life-style blocks over here (10-20arces of grass-land near to (15mins or less by "cage") a town, so you could have some stock and even a horse/pony (which are a lot cheaper here in NZ) for the misses/kids. If you end-up around Whangarei contact me, I'm a local Farrier around here. Of course if you just want to ride the bike, I'll show you all the good back roads up here (I like to get away from horses in my off times). There is plenty of places to take MX bikes up here as well.

Doug (The Rider In Black).

marty
1st July 2005, 16:08
my family comes from colensay - there's no-one (literally) left there now, but we visited it last year - not sure i could talk my wife into moving over there :)

BM-GS
1st July 2005, 16:09
Just do it. Me & the missus did a bike trip around the place in Feb 02 and started the moving-here-permanently process as soon as we got back. Having a sprog complicated things a bit, but probably no more than it would have done anyway.

I recommend a trip round first, though, as has already been suggested, if only because you'll never be able to do it once you move here & get a job...

Been here 2 years, not going back.

Trakxntrials
2nd July 2005, 09:43
Hi there, both Terry & I moved out here to NZ from the UK. Me, I moved here years ago. Terry has been out here 4 years. It is a bit of a shock to the system at first in the employment versus pay $$$. A big shock actually. But as everyone says, once you get here, you wouldn't want to leave. But I do recommend heading southwards. Auckland is way too busy, overpopulated etc - not too mention the off road riding scene not as easy. Now if your talking South Island - thats a dream, that will become a reality for me in the next few years. I hope you south island riders can make way for two more riders :)

Also for the points that you need to score to apply for permenant residency in NZ works better for you if you
* have a job all lined up for you
* have plenty of $$$ in your account
* have a place of residence (relations/friends)
* also the type of trade your in (i.e. qualifications)

Another factor is that ..."Do you have family coming with you, or family that you are leaving behind?" and " Do you have family already living in NZ"
This all helps :yes:

NC
2nd July 2005, 10:36

Hey Nick,

New Zealand is currently SCREAMING out for Joiners.
I work for a Joinery Company in Wellington as an apprentice Joiner, we advertised for 5 weeks in the news papers around NZ and we had 2 call backs. And even then we got 2 German guys who are only here for 1 year and the other is here for 6 weeks.It's an employees market.

Feel free to PM me if you would like my employers contact details:)

Sparky Bills
2nd July 2005, 10:55

Thanks Nick

Mate!
Sounds like you need to come to the Kapiti Coast.
An hour north of Wellington, Close to great roads, great weather, great people, Big ass hills, great people who ride R1's (one in particular).
Good luck with the move.
Martin

FROSTY
2nd July 2005, 11:38
Dude --come over here. So many reasons to come.
A lot of people harp on about wages beeing low here and stuff like that but actually the relationship between income and expense is better than the UK
for example-petrol is $1.35 a litre - um around 50p
Houses in most areas of NZ are around $200000 for a good 3 bedroom home
Cars are cheap-- $10000 buys you a good late model family car
Bikes are really cheap
As a joiner You'll have no worries getting work

XP@
2nd July 2005, 11:55
I think XP@ is also an expat (hmmm...now...where was the clue?). I moved here from England when I was six. My family rode there and don't ride so much here (no need for such a long commute in New Plymouth). I'm intending on returning to Europe (Prague baby!!!), and XP@ attempted to convince me that it's better motorcycling here! :)

Too true!!!
Been here since 1999, ridden approximatly 180,000 Kms
Learned how to survive on gravel and off road...

A couple of years ago a british writer stayed for a night at our place, i forget his name, but he came up with the prefect description of NZ roads. "SALE! Special offer on corners, go round one and get three for free!"

There are a lot more roads to discover here than on Arran. As for the UK mainland... well Scotland ain't too bad but the rest... just too busy! (only 4.5million residents total here:-)

will read the rest of the thread now...

XP@
2nd July 2005, 12:00
Will be quick... baby just woke up...

Joiner: 99% of houses are built from ood, not stone.

Immigration website: www.immigration.govt.nz

See you soon!

PS Bring a few Arran sweaters!!

Ogri
2nd July 2005, 15:45
Me and the old man moved out here in 2002 from Galashiels/Melrose/Jedburgh area of the Borders. Wouldn't go back now. You will love it. I agree with the other comments on here about coming out and having a good look round first. We came out in 2000 hired a campervan for 2 months and toured both islands. We went back and started the immigration process right away and it was a breeze - start to finish only took 4 months. Don't get involved with those agencies that say they will do it for you - costs a packet and you end up doing it all yourself anyway. We did it all ourselves and the most difficult bit was the waiting on an answer, then deciding on a date to go. Took us about a year to sort out all the shit at the Scottish end. Make sure all your paperwork is spot on. We came in on the points system which, at the time I think was about 26. Also had to prove that we could support ourselves financially for 2 years without working in NZ, but we both had jobs within two weeks of arrival. We had planned to settle in the Tauranga area, but when we came out for good in 2002 the difference was unbelievable - too many houses (Papamoa) and too many people. We're down the other end of the Bay of Plenty at the moment (best climate in NZ) and loving it. Half hour from the coast, half hour from the lakes and awesome roads for the bikes. The hubby is into Mtb and says that the bush and forest rides round about here are great. If you want to come and doss with a couple of fellow Scots, while you have a look round - feel free, you are more than welcome. We'll even provide the odd beer or two!

Cheers

Virago
2nd July 2005, 23:58
Just to add my voice of encouragement......

I came out here with my parents in the early 70's, originally from Thurso in Caithness. New Zealand is a great country, and your skills as a tradesman joiner will be very sought after.

I'm in Dunedin in the South Island (The "Edinburgh of the South"), and there's a major shortage of building tradesmen here at present.

City of Dunedin website: http://www.cityofdunedin.com

surfchick
6th July 2005, 21:36
The other thing that takes a bit of getting used to is how slow kiwis are at doing things. I'm used to asking for something to be done and getting a prompt result - however, in this country your lucky if they'll phone you back by the end of the week if at all (although it is improving). I'm used to living in europe and asia where you do things promptly or give them a time when its done, none of this she'll be right, have it when I do it crap - which is a bit of a culture shock if you are not expecting it.

orrrrh i just got the meanest fish and chips from the parakai fish & chip shot. and they were so lovely. NZ rocks. pack you bags and don't look back. :Punk:

parsley
6th July 2005, 23:26
Has anyone on this site made a similar move.
Not from Scotland - I was a Englishman, and a southerner at that. I came over a couple of years ago on a Travelling Holiday Visa. Excellent way of checking the place out first if you're under 30 (or just over). Only cost me 30 quid and a half hour wait at the NZ Consulate (or by post), meant I could live and work here for a year all nice and legal. Once the year is up if you've got a job you can get a Work Visa that way. It's much easier to get if you're in the country and working, as they know you're not going to come over and be a drain on the system.
Of course, if you're over 30 you're screwed. :cold:

goaters
7th July 2005, 04:48
Bugger it i`m 43 , never mind just found out the cost of housing in nz compared to the uk, all i want now is a big garage for all my toys and a huge BBQ so all you folk who have helped can come and party :drinkup:

XP@
7th July 2005, 11:23
Bugger it i`m 43 , never mind just found out the cost of housing in nz compared to the uk, all i want now is a big garage for all my toys and a huge BBQ so all you folk who have helped can come and party :drinkup:
Go to the immigration site and see if you can get enough points ... you may be lucky...

Lucyloo
7th July 2005, 16:56
Hi there.
One of my work colleagues comes from the Isle of Arran too!
She's cool....so I guess you must be too!
Come on over.
Lucy.

goaters
7th July 2005, 22:32
Hi Lucyloo what is your work mates name, i may know her as Arran is a small place.
:yes:
Nick Goatley
Whiting Bay
Arran

scumdog
8th July 2005, 08:51
Dad comes from West Kilbride, I was born in Glasgow.

Come doon sooth pal, ye don'y want ta be up in the sticky tropical north.

We got the E'mrugh of the sooth doon here ta make ye feel at home!

Do it, move down to N.Z and ENJOY life. :niceone:

Rincewind
20th July 2005, 20:54
You'll never know unless you make the first move, which should be a holiday, dont just come for a couple of week's though, and time your visit to coincide with some good N Z wevva, you'll feel at home in the south,brrrrrr, I have not beeen any further south than Rotorua, the north is my home at the moment I live in the Bay's on the north shore, immigration is a nightmare and a wallet emptier, but if you ask me would I do it all again ,I would say (oh Yea).

The people are friendly the air is fresh the food is good and it's great bikey country. Don't come here expecting to earn a fortune though, the Kiwi's all go to Europe for that !!!

Loadsa info on the nz immigration web site...

YOUR MOVE NOW, !!!!!!!

MD
20th July 2005, 21:37

Thanks Nick
You're joking right? Has any motorcyclist living on the Isle of Arran immigrated to NZ? Oh yeah that happens daily. Hope its not to long a queue for you over there at the Arran office for "Immigration to NZ - motorcyclists division"

Sorry sorry, just couldn't resist seeing the humour in your question. Don't forget to turn the lights off in Scotland as you leave seems they are ALL here now. Well that's jolly fine because they are a good bunch and like whiskey - you do like whiskey don't you goaters? That will be on the immigration questionnaire and you better get it right.
Don't bring your bikes over, we don't like em, and you need to support our struggling bike shops
Heed the warnings about Auckland. Lastly ... welcome

Otis243
20th July 2005, 22:20
... immigration is a nightmare and a wallet emptier, but if you ask me would I do it all again ,I would say (oh Yea).

The people are friendly the air is fresh the food is good and it's great bikey country. Don't come here expecting to earn a fortune though, the Kiwi's all go to Europe for that !!!

Hi

I am almost through the immigration process and should hear the final decision any day/week (I hope), but you are right the immigration process certainly is protracted and wallet emptying! (I sent in the EOI forms last October and was selected the same day!... still no decision though :( )

We came over in February for 3 weeks touring the North Island to work out where to settle and came back to the UK way more confused than when we left ! :confused: Everywhere we visited we really liked. The issue then comes down to where the work is, but just as importantly (as the move from the UK is all about improved quality of life) what the leisure scene is like.

Bikes are my passion and I love road riding, track days and off road, regularly racing enduros & cross country type events. My boys are also getting into it riding trials bikes (TY80 & Beta 80), so family trail rides would be interesting.

Can anyone advise on places to ride and frequency of events, particularly for track days and enduros. Our current favoured locations are: Tauranga area, Hibiscus Coast, Kapiti Coast or New Plymouth but need to visit all these places again. We have also talked about Christchurch.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Andy

Lucyloo
21st July 2005, 08:39
Hi Lucyloo what is your work mates name, i may know her as Arran is a small place.
:yes:
Nick Goatley
Whiting Bay
Arran
Hi Nick
Her name is Annie Bisland. Her parents own a store on the island I think.
Luce.

Paul in NZ
21st July 2005, 08:43
Hi

I am almost through the immigration process and should hear the final decision any day/week (I hope), but you are right the immigration process certainly is protracted and wallet emptying! (I sent in the EOI forms last October and was selected the same day!... still no decision though :( )

We came over in February for 3 weeks touring the North Island to work out where to settle and came back to the UK way more confused than when we left ! :confused: Everywhere we visited we really liked. The issue then comes down to where the work is, but just as importantly (as the move from the UK is all about improved quality of life) what the leisure scene is like.

Bikes are my passion and I love road riding, track days and off road, regularly racing enduros & cross country type events. My boys are also getting into it riding trials bikes (TY80 & Beta 80), so family trail rides would be interesting.

Can anyone advise on places to ride and frequency of events, particularly for track days and enduros. Our current favoured locations are: Tauranga area, Hibiscus Coast, Kapiti Coast or New Plymouth but need to visit all these places again. We have also talked about Christchurch.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Andy

Born in Christchurch living on the Kapiti Coast. It's good where ever you are Andy... New Plymouth is wonderful but a little 'isolated' from the rest of the country (to be fair, some folk, including me like that)

There is nearly always a decent place to live close to your job in NZ.

Cheers

goaters
21st July 2005, 19:44
Hi Nick
Her name is Annie Bisland. Her parents own a store on the island I think.
Luce.

Hi lucyloo my partner Gail worked for the family in their cafe some years ago and looked after Ann and the rest of the kids when they were small.
I also fitted a new kitchen in the her folks house.

its a small world but would you want to paint it?

Otis243
22nd July 2005, 21:33
It's good where ever you are Andy... New Plymouth is wonderful but a little 'isolated' from the rest of the country (to be fair, some folk, including me like that)

Thanks Paul

I really liked New Plymouth, especially the mountain dominating the whole area. Like you I prefer to be slightly off the beaten track, but my concerns about New Plymouth are:

1. that it is a little too isolated. At the moment I try to race an enduro every month and 1 or 2 track days in the summer, almost never staying away overnight. Is NP too far from this level of activity ?

2. what about the climate ? isn't NP colder and wetter than most of the rest of the North Island ?

lewis_walker
23rd July 2005, 06:17

Thanks Nick

Hey - I'm the "Lewis" that some have been referring to. I'm moving out to NZ in just four weeks' time. Tying up loose ends here in the UK before we go..
Send me a PM if you like, or want any advice regarding getting residency etc.

Paul in NZ
23rd July 2005, 09:30
Thanks Paul

I really liked New Plymouth, especially the mountain dominating the whole area. Like you I prefer to be slightly off the beaten track, but my concerns about New Plymouth are:

1. that it is a little too isolated. At the moment I try to race an enduro every month and 1 or 2 track days in the summer, almost never staying away overnight. Is NP too far from this level of activity ?

2. what about the climate ? isn't NP colder and wetter than most of the rest of the North Island ?

If you are born there you think nothing of jumping in the car / on your bike and drive / ride to where you need to be...

NP is OK climate wise. Yeah it can get a bit chilly but has great beachs etc and the people there are great...

Cheers

riffer
23rd July 2005, 14:34
New Plymouth isn't a bad place. Granted, the place is full of bogans, but its less than five hours from 80% of the North Island.

I've always enjoyed the place. :yes: