PDA

View Full Version : Check this out - Fairing Protection

justsomeguy
30th June 2005, 10:11
Came accross this looking for bike pics....are these available here??

Look more useful than crash bungs and will probably pay for themselves in the first crash......

http://l934.myspace.com/00121/43/96/121036934_l.jpg

duckman
30th June 2005, 10:15
Looks like great crash protection .... but godamm their ugly !! :puke:

zadok
30th June 2005, 10:17
Ditto. I can't see them being popular.

justsomeguy
30th June 2005, 10:18

I'd still want one.

bugjuice
30th June 2005, 10:20
there are some kits in the US for them, and a few around Europe too, but most are custom jobbies. Tisn't hard. But man, it's fugly.
Just get some tubing bent outta shape, find the best mounting points on the frame, and weld it all up. sorted. Really detracts from the shape and look of the bike. Might as well just take the farings off

JohnBoy
30th June 2005, 10:27
the idea is good, but the look like they are just a bastardised engine covers off a beemer. hate to see what would happen if you came off at high speeds, wouldn't like to get tangled up in them as you exit the bike!

Mr Skid
30th June 2005, 10:37
Stunters tend to use these, as they expect to drop their bikes quite regularly, but for a road bike they seem pointless.

Isn't the idea of having expensive bits of plastic bolted to the side of your bike to make it look pretty and go faster?
I'd imagine crash bars on a sprotsbike would make it look uglier and go slower.

They're reasonably popular on adventure bikes- The BMW GSA's come with them factory, and chek out advrider.com for peeps fitting them to all manner of adv bikes KTM 950's, 640 adv's, KLR's, NX's etc.

But then again, adv riders are more likely to drop their bikes at low speed and tend to be biased towards function over form.

Ixion
30th June 2005, 10:51
Isn't the rear bend, where it bolts to the frame just forrard of the seat, going to get majorily in the way of your leg?

v.ros`
30th June 2005, 11:09
I actually wouldnt mind putting on a black or even a chrome one...

Found out the price before i got my crash knobs and they are around 250 USD on ebay plus prolly 50 US for shipping to tiny NZ..

So guess they could be worth if you really inot wheelies and other stunts..

Artifice
30th June 2005, 11:23
Isn't the idea of having expensive bits of plastic bolted to the side of your bike to make it look pretty and go faster?

plastic fairings are there to protect your expensive parts from damage in a crash. expensive being engine and frame. of course then people started putting on crash bungs to protect the paintjob on the plastic. Does anybody know where i can get protectors for crash bungs?

bugjuice
30th June 2005, 11:28
plastic fairings are there to protect your expensive parts from damage in a crash. expensive being engine and frame. of course then people started putting on crash bungs to protect the paintjob on the plastic. Does anybody know where i can get protectors for crash bungs?
you can, there's some here (http://www.aspak.co.uk/images/bubble-wrap.jpg)...

Mr Skid
30th June 2005, 11:38
plastic fairings are there to protect your expensive parts from damage in a crash. expensive being engine and frame.
Fairings designed to protect the engine and frame?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Artifice
30th June 2005, 11:45
ok ok, i not really honest. back in the days of yeor when motocicles was tryin to go fasternstuff. they put these new fangled fairings on bikes to cut the wind away from the nastyframework and rider.

of course it always costs a tonne to repair em. hey i was looking for protectors to protect crash bungs. you know like maybe those trainer wheels they put on kiddies bikes so theyl nevah learn to ride propah.

justsomeguy
30th June 2005, 17:30
ok ok, i not really honest. back in the days of yeor when motocicles was tryin to go fasternstuff. they put these new fangled fairings on bikes to cut the wind away from the nastyframework and rider.

of course it always costs a tonne to repair em. hey i was looking for protectors to protect crash bungs. you know like maybe those trainer wheels they put on kiddies bikes so theyl nevah learn to ride propah.

You talk like a guy who is either too rich to care or who has never had to pay for expensive fairing repairs......

NhuanH
30th June 2005, 17:39

Look more useful than crash bungs and will probably pay for themselves in the first crash......

[Cartman]:
"whoa, that shit is GHEY duude!"

[Nhuan]
Hell, why stop there? Just wrap ya whole damn motobicycle in bubble wrap! I :love: the popping noises :devil2:
I like the idea of bungs for your crash bungs though :clap:

Marmoot
30th June 2005, 17:46

still wouldn't work if you hit the ditch.......or a car.......or a tree......

Ixion
30th June 2005, 17:48
still wouldn't work if you hit the ditch.......or a car.......or a tree......

Or an elephant. Nothing works if you hit one of them.

Marmoot
30th June 2005, 17:53
Or an elephant. Nothing works if you hit one of them.

the pink one or the blue one?

Ixion
30th June 2005, 17:55
the pink one or the blue one?

Uh, usually they are a dirty grey colour. I believe white ones are possible but rare. If you have encountered pink or blue ones I recommend either the National Geographic , or a detox clinic. I guess a grey one could look bluish in some lights.

Bonez
30th June 2005, 17:56
You talk like a guy who is either too rich to care or who has never had to pay for expensive fairing repairs......It was, I beleive, a rather amusing attempt at humour. :rofl:

skidz
30th June 2005, 18:01
If you have a naked bike, you won't have to worry about the fairing.

DingDong
30th June 2005, 18:18
no on no no no no no no not eva! :0

Coyote
30th June 2005, 18:23
I would get them, if I had them before I might still be riding

Bonez
30th June 2005, 18:26
no on no no no no no no not eva! :0C'mon, the Rfs just waiting to be undressed...................

Marmoot
30th June 2005, 18:26
if I remember correctly, they normally use that thing in those american stuntbike practise. and sometimes in the competition too.

justsomeguy
2nd July 2005, 01:37
if I remember correctly, they normally use that thing in those american stuntbike practise. and sometimes in the competition too.

Yup you do remember correctly, they seem like decent things especially handy if you park your bike and it gets knocked over or for lower speed low sides....maybe it may save some lever snapping off so you may be able to ride home.......

Aww......I don't know:no:

John
2nd July 2005, 01:44
You dont crash much eh? :lol:

Trust me flag them all, either buy naked or ride slow.. there it is straight and simple.

justsomeguy
2nd July 2005, 01:50
Trust me flag them all, either buy naked or ride slow.. there it is straight and simple.

Damn you -- :mad:

For being correct

Marmoot
2nd July 2005, 11:42
Yup you do remember correctly, they seem like decent things especially handy if you park your bike and it gets knocked over or for lower speed low sides....maybe it may save some lever snapping off so you may be able to ride home.......

same as the faux fur that starboyz (and the like) use in their tribal appearance. To stop scratches become too apparent and detract from their looks.

I do fancy a tiger-fur coated fireblade, though :love:

XTC
2nd July 2005, 12:13
Didn't save the tank tho did it???

FROSTY
2nd July 2005, 12:29
In yon days of yore.Us biker types used to use those things all the time
Totally useless at high speed though

hXc
2nd July 2005, 13:06
I'll take the skid knobs/crash bungs over that anyday. They are way more unnoticeable(sp?)

TonyB
2nd July 2005, 13:44
Yuck! Why not just fit training wheels and be done with it? :whistle:

hXc
2nd July 2005, 13:59
Yuck! Why not just fit training wheels and be done with it? :whistle:

I never took my training wheels off in the first place. Is that a bad thing?

RiderInBlack
2nd July 2005, 19:09
You dont crash much eh? :lol:

Trust me flag them all, either buy naked or ride slow.. there it is straight and simple.So your going naked are John:ride: :wait:
John naked. That would be like the bike secne in "Waking Ned Divine". Now that is scary:blink:

Hitcher
3rd July 2005, 14:31

Look more useful than crash bungs and will probably pay for themselves in the first crash...
Is this for bikers with a bullbar fetish?

James Deuce
3rd July 2005, 15:14
Is this for bikers with a bullbar fetish?

Said the guy with factory plastic covers over HIS bike mounted bullbars.

Hitcher
3rd July 2005, 17:04
Said the guy with factory plastic covers over HIS bike mounted bullbars.
Picky, picky...

Beemer
3rd July 2005, 17:17
Ugly, ugly, ugly! Man, did I mention how ugly these things are? At least crash bungs aren't so intrusive, these look like chainsaw guards or a rack off the back of a push bike - WHY would you want to make your bike look so ugly? I'd rather put the money into rider training so I didn't need them!

And until they make them for tanks, don't waste your money... :rofl:

justsomeguy
3rd July 2005, 17:41
I'd rather put the money into rider training so I didn't need them!
:rofl:

Could you please tell me a little bit about this course in rider training I can take that will save me from crashing in the future.

FROSTY
3rd July 2005, 21:53
Could you please tell me a little bit about this course in rider training I can take that will save me from crashing in the future.
The new Frosty rider training course that is 100 percent gonna make sure you don't crash.
Follow these instructions.
1)Take 1.5m of bolt cutter proof chain -Fit through front and back wheel.
Join the ends together with a stout lock.
Take the lock keys and join em to ya bike keys
Drive ya car to the waterfront and throw your bike keys in the sea.
You will never fall off the bike again.

justsomeguy
4th July 2005, 02:07
The new Frosty rider training course that is 100 percent gonna make sure you don't crash.
Follow these instructions.
1)Take 1.5m of bolt cutter proof chain -Fit through front and back wheel.
Join the ends together with a stout lock.
Take the lock keys and join em to ya bike keys
Drive ya car to the waterfront and throw your bike keys in the sea.
You will never fall off the bike again.

Thanks, but no thanks - I'd rather crash.

John
4th July 2005, 02:12
thats the spirit...

placidfemme
4th July 2005, 09:23

http://l934.myspace.com/00121/43/96/121036934_l.jpg

hmmm... Protects the farings by looking ugly enough to scare the road off touching it... doesn't do jack to save the tank or back farings...

XP@
5th July 2005, 16:54
hmmm... Protects the farings by looking ugly enough to scare the road off touching it... doesn't do jack to save the tank or back farings...
Yeh, there is nice dent in the tank!

It's a stunters engine protector. Those guys are going to drop the bike, at some stage, prob in the near future. they want to be able to pick it ip again and do the next stunt. They can do this if they have a dent in the tank, or other bent bits, but if the engine case is cracked they not doin any more stuntin. Also makes the track slippy for the others.

Would you still notice the bars when the the bike passes you on the front wheel only at 150 km's / hr and the rider is picking his nose?