PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Wheelies

swanman
30th June 2005, 11:00
I read about this yesterday in the Herald, so I checked it on the web, got the fuller story:

"Man fined for bad driving while taping fatal, bare-bottomed motorcycle stunt

FREDERICK, Md. A man who videotaped his friend's lethal nearly-naked motorcycle stunt has been convicted of two misdemeanors and is being fined.
A Maryland judge says if Ben Meacham hadn't been taping it, his bare-bottomed buddy might never have had the September accident.

Shaun Matlock was wearing only tennis shoes, a T-shirt and a helmet when he lost control during a "wheelie" and slammed into a parked tow truck.

Another friend in similar attire was riding alongside, but was not injured. He was fined a-thousand dollars in November after pleading guilty to indecent exposure and negligent driving.

According to testimony at the trial, Matlock wanted to do a special stunt on his last ride before surrendering his bike. The 21-year-old had fallen behind on payments.

Meacham wouldn't join the ride, but agreed to tape it from a van. He was convicted of reckless driving and negligent driving."

Tragic comedy of the motorcycling persuasion. 'Spose there are a few lessons to be drawn.

scumdog
30th June 2005, 11:03
Yep. Cover Your Arse. :whistle:

Motu
30th June 2005, 11:36
I see no problem here,just natural selection at work.Only disapointing part is that the guy with the video was too scared to join his mates - they could of gone out as a threesome and cleared the gene pool of three sets of faulty DNA.

HDTboy
30th June 2005, 18:12
Why bother with a helmet?

Ixion
30th June 2005, 18:13
Why bother with a helmet?

Cos it's the law, silly

DingDong
30th June 2005, 18:45
...they'll put funnyest home videos out of business!

Id like to see this clip... :devil2: just to make my own decision about this whole matter :yes:

GSVR
30th June 2005, 18:47
I was thinking about this one...

SixPackBack
30th June 2005, 18:48
...they'll put funnyest home videos out of business!

Id like to see this clip... :devil2: just to make my own decision about this whole matter :yes:
You like bare bottomed men......URGH

Zed
30th June 2005, 19:52

Fatal ? Maybee he's just waiting for the ambo.Bit gory that Garry, perhaps you can re-attach that photo as x-rated and forewarn the onlookers that it could be offensive? :no:

Zed
30th June 2005, 19:55
I read about this yesterday in the Herald, so I checked it on the web, got the fuller story:

Tragic comedy of the motorcycling persuasion. 'Spose there are a few lessons to be drawn.I don't even want to try and understand why they were naked? What a way to go out! :no:

onearmedbandit
30th June 2005, 20:45

http://www.strangedangers.com/images/content/2898.jpg

Fatal ? Maybee he's just waiting for the ambo.

He is just waiting for the ambo isn't he Garry? Garry???

TonyB
30th June 2005, 21:21
He is just waiting for the ambo isn't he Garry? Garry???
He's fine, it's just a flesh wound.

Tis perhaps a tad gory for 'forced' veiwing- ie, if you veiw this thread you can't choose no to look.

swanman
1st July 2005, 10:44
Fuck man that's a bad photo, he's dead, you can see the paramedics latex glove next to the body. Little bit too much reality for me there. Still I guess the guy in the original story would have looked pretty similar just with his arse showing.

bugjuice
1st July 2005, 10:58
it's just a scratch.. it'll grow back...

personally, I don't see the point of these idiots riding in shorts and tshirts. And then trying stupid shit like wheelies etc.. When you and I went Swanny, for that 'session' out in the wilderness, it was bloody baking that day (still remember it... ahhhhh...). No way in hell would I try doing shit without protection. You get pregnant for one..

ManDownUnder
1st July 2005, 10:58
Agreed with whoever said change the rating of the pic, and warn about the gore..

I have a strong stomach but... YEESH!

Ambos and fire/emergency crews get my thanks for dealing with this sort of stuff... yoiu'd need help after picking that up surely...

Hope he survived - I don't hold out high hopes though

TonyB
1st July 2005, 11:28
When you and I went Swanny, for that 'session' out in the wilderness, it was bloody baking that day (still remember it... ahhhhh...). No way in hell would I try doing shit without protection. You get pregnant for one..
EEEEEWWWWWwwww!!!
Very badly worded Buggy- very badly worded!

I'm just glad the word 'doing' wasn't 'pushing' :puke:

XP@
1st July 2005, 11:38
Image is not pleasant. But is a reminder to:

Don't push the limits too far
Wear the correct gear
DONT BE BLOODY STUPID IN FRONT OF A CAMERA

However if you think the image should be removed then please PM me and i will convert all references to a link and add a note to explain.

ManDownUnder
1st July 2005, 11:43
When you and I went Swanny, for that 'session' out in the wilderness, it was bloody baking that day (still remember it... ahhhhh...). No way in hell would I try doing shit without protection. You get pregnant for one..

You YOU TWO ar responsible for the rash of mini bikes... I was wondering where they'd all come up from...:nono:

MDU

XP@
1st July 2005, 12:00
</HIJACK> Thanks

thehollowmen
1st July 2005, 12:15
For a moment there I thought the article was about him crashing his naked motorcycle and was thinking 'what's so unusual about that'

:weird:

I wonder if "they" will missinterpret the article and try to ban naked motorcycles soon?

Squiggles
1st July 2005, 12:23
urgh! tht image is disgusting...was about to eat lunch

sounds like the fool should have been wearing the gear and not trying to be an idiot

Ixion
1st July 2005, 12:29

Wear the correct gear

However if you think the image should be removed then please PM me and i will convert all references to a link and add a note to explain.

Reality is often unpleasant. That's what people end up like when they crash. Maybe all bikes should have to have such an image affixed where the rider sees it all the time. Might make people think, eh?

scumdog
1st July 2005, 12:40
Ah well, whenever I think I'm having bad day I just think of poor buggers like that!!
BTW I have seen people survive with worse looking injuries but that dude don't look like he's going to make another cup of coffee...

TonyB
1st July 2005, 12:45
Reality is often unpleasant. That's what people end up like when they crash. Maybe all bikes should have to have such an image affixed where the rider sees it all the time. Might make people think, eh?
I reckon people might actually crash MORE if they have something like that to look at in a genuine sphinkter pucker moment.

I was doing a search for an image of some sort of bike one day when something pretty gross came up- I guy riding with no helmet had been in some sort of smash. He was lying face down on the road, pretty much unmarked....except for the fact that the top of his head had burst open and his brain matter was spread out on the road in front of him...

placidfemme
1st July 2005, 12:45
The picture below has been seen bofore on KB, but it's a more sublte (sp) reason not to pull wheelies when not wearing appropriate gear...

I can't imagine why you'd ride a bike naked... and then wearing a helmet... the irony of it :doh:

bugjuice
1st July 2005, 13:40
The picture below has been seen bofore on KB, but it's a more sublte (sp) reason not to pull wheelies when not wearing appropriate gear...

I can't imagine why you'd ride a bike naked... and then wearing a helmet... the irony of it :doh:
i posted that myself a while ago. I then got bored, so I made it a little more amusing (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9166) (i thought, anyway)

placidfemme
1st July 2005, 14:06
i posted that myself a while ago. I then got bored, so I made it a little more amusing (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9166) (i thought, anyway)

lol yeah that is amusing :ride:

John
1st July 2005, 14:24
If the ambo/fire people leave their glove its a fatal :(

But really what more can you expect not wearing gear? He would have being ok, just a broken leg in leathers, what an idiot - naked biking heh, I have a funny video of that somewhere...

Zapf
4th July 2005, 21:56

Wear the correct gear

I think the photo should stay there.... as a reminder of what may and can happen..... it is a thought that may save someone, because they might think of that photo before they do something silly.

scumdog
4th July 2005, 22:00
If the ambo/fire people leave their glove its a fatal :(

But really what more can you expect not wearing gear? He would have being ok, just a broken leg in leathers, what an idiot - naked biking heh, I have a funny video of that somewhere...

I suspect he would have died regardless what gear he was wearing. :yes:

myvice
16th July 2005, 20:43
Gee, that'd make your eyes water.
Have to disagree with Scumdog, he would have been in pain, may have lost the leg, long stay in I.C. but he would have had a better than even chance of living through it with the right gear.
Darwinism is alive and well!
May sound cold but I will reserve my sympathy for people who die with the gear and attitude of someone who wants to see another day.
People see this sort of thing and go "Motorcycles are so dangerous!"
No shit, that will be why we stuff our heads in a bucket and strap on 1/2 a cow! We cant all drive Volvos!
Controlling the danger is what makes it a challenge, we often ride at the edge (or within 15% of it, safety first) And when we learn more, we can push more. That is part of riding for a lot of us.
Fast and smooth, mmmmmmmmmmm, (pity I'm still slow and shakey)
And then this prat gets himself killed.
Makes us look like we all have a death wish.
If it wasnt a bike it would have been surfing on a car, or running along the top of a train. You cant save some people.

scumdog
17th July 2005, 08:42
How would extra gear have helped this guy survive myvice?

(going from memory here - can't be arsed going back too the picture.)

Ignore the leg "it's just a flesh wound", ignore the head injury possibility (he WAS wearing a helmet - maybe he could have had a better one but it does not look like an issue here)

IMHO it is likely the bike landed on his chest/he broke his neck or similar, the obvious injuries look survivable, there is no lake of blood around the leg - or anywhere else obvious that I can see.

MAYBE a chest protector would have done just that but as far as better gear saving this sorry-arsed individual? hmmmm. I have my doubt it would have given him a SIGNIFICANTLY better chance.

myvice
17th July 2005, 09:45
Tru, body armor may have helped, maby not tho, and theres sweet FA you can do for a broken neck!
Would have been beter to have the gear and at least try to minamise those injurys than not bother at all.
At least if it goes pear shaped you dont look like you have been attacked with a cheese grater!
I'v seen some nasty injurys when people have had all the gear, and others where just leathes would have saved a kneecap.
Depends on the individual maby? I doubt I would live through a 200+kg bike landing on my chest! Maby a suit of armor? Luck of the draw?
The 125 MX bike hurt enough and thay weigh bugger all!
I dont know, still hate to see the shorts and t-shirt super bike pilots tho!
Must be getting old :no:

Groins_NZ
17th July 2005, 10:09
there is no lake of blood around the leg - or anywhere else obvious that I can see.

What's all the red under his body then. He's wearing a white t-shirt in the top picture - no sign of a red jacket? Or is it something the ambo has laid down under him?

Anyone notice that it looks like he's still gripping the handlebar with his left hand?

Thanks for the 'reality' pic...
<BR><BR>

froggyfrenchman
8th August 2005, 20:20
strange shit man

scumdog
8th August 2005, 20:26
What's all the red under his body then. He's wearing a white t-shirt in the top picture - no sign of a red jacket? Or is it something the ambo has laid down under him?

Anyone notice that it looks like he's still gripping the handlebar with his left hand?

Thanks for the 'reality' pic...

<BR><BR>

People I have seen shot through the head often have that 'throttle-grip' hand/arm position too....