PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Phillip Island MotoGP?

GPXchick
26th May 2011, 13:31
Husband and I are looking at going over to the Moto GP this OCtober 15th. We have a quote rom flight centre blah blah.

I was wondering has anyone here actually been to the Moto Gp there?
How did you find your way from Melbourne. We are looking at a rental car?
Where did you stay, we have a studio Villa avail with a spa. However its top dollar? and all that is left.

Any information would be great. Also is anyone planning on going this year would you be keen on a couple of tag alongs :)

Crasherfromwayback
26th May 2011, 13:37
Hey there,

I've been to the GP around 5 times at the Island. I find it much easier to stay on the Island, or in Cowes, as travelling from Melbourne each day is a pain in the ass.

My sister lives in St Kilda, so if I do stay there, I found it easier/faster/better to fly from Melbourne to the Island, and it's not actually that expensive.

Only my opinion of course, but I think you should buy tickets for a grand stand, as the general admission ones don't get you such great views.

You'll be blown away when the GP bikes first come out. I promise.

Timmeh:P
26th May 2011, 15:34
Oh... you lucky bastards!! I take it the Faster DVD and DTK DVD we gave you motivated this? :scooter:

Dutchee
26th May 2011, 19:55
Def rental car. Another option is to camp. Take lots of clothes (warm), gumboots, rainsuit/jacket, hat, more warm clothes etc etc (oh and that's not just if camping).

If camping, buy a cheap tent here, throw it away at the end of the weekend, buy pillows there & throw it away, sleeping bags whatever. That way you don't have to wait for the damned thing to be fumigated by MAF. The natives don't seem to mind being given those sorts of things either lol. Camping's around $100ea for the weekend, there's toilets & showers, but no cooking facilities (i.e. you're just in a field). If you want lots of noise & no sleep, camp trackside, otherwise go for highside (which is a bit cheaper anyway).

We're going with a group of friends, but you'll see plenty of kiwis there.
Oh, and if they start baaing when queuing up, that's not a reason to jump their bones, they're just pretending they're sheep following the leader.

The track's a couple of hours drive from Melbourne. Cowes is nearby where you can buy groceries etc, (but not pillows that I saw).

Have fun and may spot ya there :)

Oh, and go for grandstand seats - any are good, but I wouldn't go for Gardiner Strait as it's on the straight, and yes you see the start/finissh, but the pit garages are in the way the rest of the time (never sat there and don't plan to either)

tigertim20
26th May 2011, 22:12
Husband and I are looking at going over to the Moto GP this OCtober 15th. We have a quote rom flight centre blah blah.

I was wondering has anyone here actually been to the Moto Gp there?
How did you find your way from Melbourne. We are looking at a rental car?
Where did you stay, we have a studio Villa avail with a spa. However its top dollar? and all that is left.

Any information would be great. Also is anyone planning on going this year would you be keen on a couple of tag alongs :)

Tag alongs? ID LOVE TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Youre paying... right?:bye:

GPXchick
27th May 2011, 09:26
Hi TIMMEHP yes the DVDs have inspired us to go. However we have now changed our plans to the ASSEN TT in The Netherlands We went there last year and fell in love withthe place. So 2012 here we come, rent a couple of bikes, ride up to Assen form Amsterdam.

SO bloody excited. If anybody is keen on joining us you pm me.

WOWOWOWOWO :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::yes: :ride:

Nasty
27th May 2011, 10:53
We went a couple of years ago .. got tickets in the siberia stand and only seemed to use them for the main race .. but knew we could any time ... was awesome ... stayed at a Bed and Breakfast near the island .. and had a rental car ...

have an awesome time!

Maha
27th May 2011, 10:58
Hi TIMMEHP yes the DVDs have inspired us to go. However we have now changed our plans to the ASSEN TT in The Netherlands We went there last year and fell in love withthe place. So 2012 here we come, rent a couple of bikes, ride up to Assen form Amsterdam.

SO bloody excited. If anybody is keen on joining us you pm me.

WOWOWOWOWO :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::yes: :ride:

Yes WOW indeed. What an absolute blast that would be!...:rockon:

Chancebmx25
27th May 2011, 11:31
GOOOOOOOOO!!! YOU MUST GOOO!! it is perfect!!!!! get some sweet accomadation if ur not happy with staying there. but stay thea though and get rowdy with everyone. they go nutz. its bloody awesome man. its a real thrill. the experience is unforgettable. go thea. all 3 days. go nuts have fuhn. heaps of goodies aswell.... lots of free shit. just collect it all uhp. make use of all the free shit. get all the stickers you can cos itd be hard getting half of em hea. talk to the racers. loved it. the showrooms and showgirls are just awesome. 10/10 bro

Chancebmx25
27th May 2011, 11:32
GOOOOOOOOO!!! YOU MUST GOOO!! it is perfect!!!!! get some sweet accomadation if ur not happy with staying there. but stay thea though and get rowdy with everyone. they go nutz. its bloody awesome man. its a real thrill. the experience is unforgettable. go thea. all 3 days. go nuts have fuhn. heaps of goodies aswell.... lots of free shit. just collect it all uhp. make use of all the free shit. get all the stickers you can cos itd be hard getting half of em hea. talk to the racers. loved it. the showrooms and showgirls are just awesome. 10/10 bro

too add to that im prob going over this year aswell. dont worry about grandstand tix aswell. theas big screens allover and ur ears will start to ache being on the fenceline. just get thea and pay. the grounds are huge.