PDA

View Full Version : Well hello there! (rick78)

rick78
29th May 2011, 09:26
I'm Rick, from the UK but emmigrating to NZ (Auckland) in a little under 8 weeks... naturally bringing my motorbike (Falco, 2001 model). Looking forward to when it arrives and some riding in NZ!

So... first things first... compliance tests, registration and WOF... any advice appreciated! Do I need to bring bike back to standard? It has a chip, race cans and an air kit...

Thanks in advance!

YellowDog
29th May 2011, 09:47
I'm Rick, from the UK but emmigrating to NZ (Auckland) in a little under 8 weeks... naturally bringing my motorbike (Falco, 2001 model). Looking forward to when it arrives and some riding in NZ!

So... first things first... compliance tests, registration and WOF... any advice appreciated! Do I need to bring bike back to standard? It has a chip, race cans and an air kit...

Thanks in advance!

Hi Rick, I did the same 4 years ago. It was a lot easier at $3 to the pound :yes:

Make sure your bike is certified as having been cleaned before it comes over. The boys at MAFF will be looking under your mudguards, in the frame, and under the fairings for an excuse to take loads of money from you to clean it.

The compliance process is very strightforward, however they do look for any mods away from the OEM spec. They even questioned my brake cables as being the wrong colour :shit:

I suspect that you may well have to remove your mods for compliance. If you PM me, I have the email addresss of the guy who did my first compliance check, so you can ask him directly as to what the correct process is. I didn't use him for my second bike import as he was a bit too fussy for my liking.

So which part of the UK are you moving over from and which part of Auckland do you plan to settle in?

Maha
29th May 2011, 09:52
Not enough posts to PM you YD.

YellowDog
29th May 2011, 10:08
Not enough posts to PM you YD.

OK Thanks - I'll PM him

rick78
29th May 2011, 11:19
Hi all - thanks for the information... I don't like fussy inspectors!

I'm hoping I don't need to return the bike to standard... I can't be bothered replacing the air box, end cans and factory eprom... not to mention the standard indicators and tail that I did not have with the bike when I bought it.

I'm currently in B'ham... and working in the CBD in Auckland... will be staying there for 6 weeks before settling somewhere within 30 mile radius... northshore or MAssey at the moment I think... but we need to come over to explore.

So who did you use the second time you imported?

YellowDog
29th May 2011, 11:55
Look at www.realestate.co.nz for properties. Don't rush into anything. It's scaringly easy to sign a piece of paper here and be committed to a purchase :shit:

The compliance inspection isn't so fussy that they will check the internals of the bike. You'll have to check. My understanding is that if your aftermarket exhaust is listed as road legal and suitable for the bike, they will still pass it. Most just change them back straight after, as the WOF inspection (MOT) is pretty lenient. Hopefully the indicators and other farkles wont be an issue. I wouldn't confess up front as the chances are the inspector won't be too clued up.

I used the Coventry Group for my second bike http://www.coventry.co.nz/ They're the guys most Auckland importers use and wiz the motors through as fast a possible.

Good luck.

devers
2nd June 2011, 18:18
Hi Rick,

I recently moved here from UK and shipped my car and bike together with household goods (bike at the back of the container in a made up crate). Check out NZTA website regarding compliance http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/index.html .

I cleaned both the car and the bike myself (too tight to pay someone else). My chain & sprocket/ rear tyre were due for replacement so decided to do it in the UK before shipping.

The process for me was - household container arrived with local removals company, they arranged both MAF inspection and transportation to AA facility. I also had to goto customs house in the CBD with V5 registration documents, passport (i.e. showing appropriate visa) and original invoice to prove ownership - you will have to pay a proportion of GST if you have not owned the vehicle for more than 12 months - in your case I guess you might not have original invoice. If not then be prepared to get a valuation when you get here (similar to Glass guide in UK) . I then signed papers to say if I sold the car/bike within 2 years I would pay a sliding scale of GST. I then sent clearence papers from customs to removal company so they could release vehicles.

First time I saw the car/bike was at the AA after they had done the entry certification. Took all the above paperwork with me. Paid for registration and entry certification and rode away (NB as a result of the entry certification the car/bike had 12 months WOF).

No problem with MAF from my personal experience - no need for any 'special' certificates of cleanliness etc. Just make sure you give it a good clean.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Pete

PS. I guess the process of clearance (MAF/customs) will be the same regardless of how you ship your bike. You might pay a local 'importer' but the process will be the same. May sound complicated but just ride the wave and don't worry about it too much

Mort
2nd June 2011, 19:12
You should be fine with the bike as it is. I think you'll have 12 months grace anyway to ride it when you get here on UK plates/tax etc. Think carefully if you really want the expense of transport and reregistration - is it worth it ? I think you'll be looking at the thick end of £500+ charges to get it fully compliant and taxed etc.... Much cheaper all round to sell the bike and bring the cash.... depends on how much you love the bike though :)

YellowDog
2nd June 2011, 19:48
Yep, I rode my bike around for a couple of months whilst investigating the compliance process. Because it was an older bike 1999, there was no GST issues.

One thing to bear in mind is that UK used bike prices are less than half than in NZ :blink:

rick78
3rd June 2011, 10:20
Thanks for info guys.

I didn't realise I didn't need to get the compliance done straight away... I was under the impression that I had to get compliance, tax, WOF, plates etc. etc. all done before I could legally ride it... this isn't sounding as bad now.

I've contacted the previous owner and he's written a letter stating when I bought the bike and for how much... he's a star.

Its getting crated and put into our sole use 20ft container.

Mort
3rd June 2011, 10:28
Yes you can ride it as a visitor for a while (I believe its 12 months) on UK plates etc as if you were touring here. (But check with LTNZ to absolutely sure)

Good luck with the move. I did this move nearly 5 years ago so I know it can be a stress. Hope it goes well.

DrunkenMistake
3rd June 2011, 21:09
If you have race rans etc make sure its not over the 95db or you may be in for a bit of a hassle, I just put a race system on my bike and its putting out 106db (Fuck it) im not sure if this effects a compliance test but maybe look into it just incase.

rick78
4th June 2011, 11:30
Thanks for that... I dont have a sound meter to check it but it the scorpion race cans without baffles means its quite loud!

I'll put the standard cans and eprom back on for shipping and compliance... the swap them back later :)

What happens re: reg plate? Is it like the UK where the plate is linked to the vehicle, so you change vehicle and you get a new reg number, or does it follow you from vehicle to vehcile?

Mort
4th June 2011, 12:06
Reg plate is for the vehicle.... but you can transfer a private plate for instance (just like the UK)

YellowDog
4th June 2011, 18:08
Reg plate is for the vehicle.... but you can transfer a private plate for instance (just like the UK)

After compliance you get your wof and rego. The registration No. on the rego and on the bike will be the next sequential one.

If you go to www.plates.co.nz , you can choose your own. I have a mate who bought the same No. as his UK plate number, just so it still felt like his bike and he'd still remember it. :facepalm:

rick78
2nd August 2011, 23:57
Landed just over a week ago... so far so good :yes:

Bike should be here soon... I want to pick it up and ride it on UK plates for a while like yellowdog to investigate the compliance process... and wait for my first paypacket to arrive to pay for it!

In this case do I need to let them know that I don't want compliance? Do I just get my arse down to where the bike is and ride it away?!

Can't wait to get on two wheels again!

Wessa
12th August 2011, 09:13
Hello Mate.. Glad i found you on here too..
Interseting replies.. Like me, i never thought you could ride it on uk plates. Probably just as easy to get it all done together. Anyway,mine should now be over before the end of Nov.. Im going to the Burt Monroe weekend with some guys at work.. Unforunatley for you its at the bottom of the south island..

Take it easy mate, let me know who the sytem works when you have done it please. Im still a bit miffed...:laugh: :rockon: