PDA

View Full Version : Best way to hook a Gps up to the battery?

The Singing Chef
30th May 2011, 17:47
So i was wondering if hooking my Gps up straight to the battery would be alright or should i keep it going through the charger boxes that come with it, and because they wires on the charger wire are so damn small would soldering be best for that and attaching a nice big wire onto there with a switch?

...I also want to hook up a playstation and a tv into the tank....and maybe a fog machine for riding through the city at night..and whatever else takes my fancy.

Cheers

Hawkeye
30th May 2011, 17:56
So i was wondering if hooking my Gps up straight to the battery would be alright or should i keep it going through the charger boxes that come with it, and because they wires on the charger wire are so damn small would soldering be best for that and attaching a nice big wire onto there with a switch?

...I also want to hook up a playstation and a tv into the tank....and maybe a fog machine for riding through the city at night..and whatever else takes my fancy.

Cheers

Add a relay with a power block. Then you can wire a number of things in

Check this link.... http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

slofox
30th May 2011, 18:11
Add a relay with a power block. Then you can wire a number of things in

Check this link.... http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

Wot 'e said.

I've done it. Easy. If I can do it myself without blowing up the bike anyone can do it...

Phreak
31st May 2011, 23:22
I wired my GPS up to the battery with just a plain old cigarette lighter socket from Jaycar, through a fuse that I wired inline of course. Power switch sits in the boot (under the pillion seat) so people that like to fiddle cant get at it. That way I'm not cutting the cigarette plug that the GPS came with, so I can remove it all if I ever need to (like when the missus decides she wants to go for a random road trip in her cage to somewhere off the beaten track...!) Cigarette socket sits nicely under my seat, wire runs up the frame under the tank to the mount. Also have a stereo earphones wire running under the tank to a 3.5mm plug that sits just under the back edge of my seat, so I can plug into it on long trips.

Hehe only reason I got the GPS in the first place was that it has a clock (I ride an old bike that doesn't) and plays music from a memory stick! Hardly ever actually use the GPS function, find it distracts me too much... But then, the music can too...!