PDA

View Full Version : Turning fuel 'tap' off?

KEN
31st May 2011, 11:39
Does it pay to turn the fuel 'tap' off from the Carbs [when storing over winter] or just leave the fuel on. ????:

unstuck
31st May 2011, 11:44
Turn it off.:yes:

Bald Eagle
31st May 2011, 11:56
Leave it on and ride it :scooter:

Crasherfromwayback
31st May 2011, 11:57
Makes no difference if it's a vacuum tap.

bogan
31st May 2011, 12:01
Tap off to be on the safe side, and full tank to discourage corrosion and fuel degradation.

rustyrobot
31st May 2011, 12:02
[when storing over winter]

Awww, that makes me sad. Guess that's the trade-off for all those beautiful alpine roads you lot have.

Crasherfromwayback
31st May 2011, 12:05
and fuel degradation.

That'll happen regardless

bogan
31st May 2011, 12:08
That'll happen regardless

I thought large volumes of fuel degraded slower? or is that perhaps two stroke mix? Less corrosion is enough of a reason anyway I reckon, poured about a cup full of rust out of my kr-1 tank when the previous owner stored it dry for 6 years :facepalm:

Crasherfromwayback
31st May 2011, 12:13
I thought large volumes of fuel degraded slower? or is that perhaps two stroke mix? Less corrosion is enough of a reason anyway I reckon, poured about a cup full of rust out of my kr-1 tank when the previous owner stored it dry for 6 years :facepalm:

Our shite fuel turns to muck really quickly regardless, but you're on the sprocket regarding corrosion prevention. I drain the pre mix out of my race bikes after every race meet as well. Plastic tank though...

Banditbandit
31st May 2011, 12:22
I don't have a fuel tap.

It really depends on the bike ... on older models (pre-1990) it probnably pays to turn them off. In some cases gravity will push pertol passed the needle valve in the carb/s float chambers and flood the intakes if the carbs were angled downwards and the float chamber was not on the bottom of the carb. If an intake valve is open it could flood the cylinders. I have heard (tho' I have no proof of this) that cyclinders have filled with fuel - which has then blown the motor apart as soon as it as started (and someone will give me technical reasons why it's not possible) .. but the idea is a good one. It at least stops the tank drainig through a faulty needle valve ..

I always turned the fuel tap/s off on carbed bikes, when I owned them .. every time I stopped.

Of course, on modern injected motors that doesn't matter ..

cbfb
31st May 2011, 14:06
Leave it on and ride it :scooter:

+1

Just left my bike for 3 or 4 weeks and it was a bastard to start even over that length of time (starting first go now), can't you take it for a pootle at the weekend now and then?

KEN
31st May 2011, 14:23
Ya I start it up and run the motor up to operating temp. about once a month..