PDA

View Full Version : Queens Birthday Etiquette

XF650
31st May 2011, 21:17
Just a reminder to our fellow adventurers that it's "gypsy time".
Over the next few days the share milkers shift properties, which means many stock trucks on our back roads spilling slippery shit on the corners or splashing sticky liquid gold onto ya visors.
Some herds are walked to their next home, emptying out as they go & often hidden by that brow in the road.
Watch out too for unsecure loads on dodgey looking trailers, often being towed by a slow tractor that's just around the next blind corner.....
It's an interesting time of year in the rural areas.

blackdog
31st May 2011, 21:24
Well put. No bling left.

Motu
31st May 2011, 21:41
While on another thread they aren't so forgiving. Why aren't people a bit more accepting of life...what makes their life interesting if it runs perfectly to their rules? Maybe that's it...control freaks.

I love our ever changing roads and conditions....all you have to do is keep your eyes open,what's so hard about that?

XF650
31st May 2011, 21:51
Spot on Motu.
I get the impression many of the whingers forget we live in a rural based economy.

Woodman
31st May 2011, 21:53
While on another thread they aren't so forgiving. Why aren't people a bit more accepting of life...what makes their life interesting if it runs perfectly to their rules? Maybe that's it...control freaks.

I love our ever changing roads and conditions....all you have to do is keep your eyes open,what's so hard about that?

Well put, I think there are those out there who believe that public roads should be at all times groomed like a race track with marshalls waving flags etc, and the sole point of roads is so that motorcyclists can ride around on them how they like.

Aslan
31st May 2011, 21:55
useful post Struan - I experienced some of what you describe when traveling the Forgotten World Highway this past weekend - enjoy the Brass! Cheers S :scooter:

young1
31st May 2011, 22:24
Steve, while in the area, did you pay a visit to your "favourite" rural bus shelter?

useful post Struan - I experienced some of what you describe when traveling the Forgotten World Highway this past weekend - enjoy the Brass! Cheers S :scooter:

tri boy
1st June 2011, 06:36
Slap her on the arse,
pinch her jewelery,
flog her best brandy.
Say G'day to Charlie, and pinch Katies bum on the way out.
Roll Britania:devil2:

NordieBoy
1st June 2011, 09:35
And when you're out on your bike this weekend, make sure you remember to wave in the prescribed royal manner...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/queenie2.gif

Monstaman
1st June 2011, 09:46

Rode over from Herriot to Ettrick last Sunday on the 990 SMR, rural road and covered in shit and mud, wet just to add flavour.

Had one moment where there was wet shit ALL over the road on a straight and through the bend, combine with deep muddy clay under it .... less than I deal for roady 17's.

I was not going fast at all (in low gears here) but she did a big slide and I thought I was gonna do some gardening on the bike.

So yeap eyes peeled and be ready for shit in the middle of shit too.

Ride safe gents (and smart).

Motu
1st June 2011, 12:34
And what's with all these fuckin' possums all over the road? Hit one of those in a corner and you'll slide on the guts into the ditch...or worse yet end up with possum brains in your knee slider. Why don't they have road crews out cleaning these things up...dead possums are a death trap!

marks
1st June 2011, 14:17
And what's with all these fuckin' possums all over the road? Hit one of those in a corner and you'll slide on the guts into the ditch...or worse yet end up with possum brains in your knee slider. Why don't they have road crews out cleaning these things up...dead possums are a death trap!

probably not an ideal situation from the possums point of view either

Box'a'bits
1st June 2011, 19:08
Re Possums, I rode with a couple of good friends to do the 1000 Miler Grand Challenge a decade or two ago. That year we did a number of backroads nr Hamilton. I was the 3rd bike. The first bike would dazzle the possum. The second would hit the brakes & dazzle me. I would ALWAYS hit the possum...:confused: Decimated the nightlife, and kept me well awake.

98tls
1st June 2011, 19:19

Was out and about today down here in cowsville,hear what your saying M but will add a few signs wouldnt go astray.Big herds mean heaps of shit and when they have moved on and theres no obvious signs of a herd on the move ie 4wds,4 wheelers etc its pretty easy to get caught out.

Motu
1st June 2011, 20:11
I guess I'm just a tinarsed bastard,but in a shit load of years riding on a shit load of back roads,although I've been surprised by roaming wildlife (and never hit any)...I've never been surprised by a stock movement,even in the bad old days when any sort of warning was unheard of. It's just a case of being aware of where and when you are...and being aware of your own mortality.

And as for cow shit - COME ON !!!!!! I know those in Auckland get a bit annoyed with a touch of cow poo on the Porsche Cayenne,but any Kiwi who recoils in horror from cow pat needs to fuck off back to Australia.

FJRider
1st June 2011, 20:18
Rode over from Herriot to Ettrick last Sunday on the 990 SMR, rural road and covered in shit and mud, wet just to add flavour.

Had one moment where there was wet shit ALL over the road on a straight and through the bend, combine with deep muddy clay under it .... less than I deal for roady 17's.

I was not going fast at all (in low gears here) but she did a big slide and I thought I was gonna do some gardening on the bike.

So yeap eyes peeled and be ready for shit in the middle of shit too.

Ride safe gents (and smart).

I don't know why they call it Moa FLAT .... :lol:

scumdog
1st June 2011, 20:23
And when you're out on your bike this weekend, make sure you remember to wave in the prescribed royal manner...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/queenie2.gif

But not if you're a Harley rider, you're not allowed to...:shutup:

scumdog
1st June 2011, 20:24
I don't know why they call it Moa FLAT .... :lol:

Yeah, it's moa hilly than flat:shutup:

FJRider
1st June 2011, 20:30
But not if you're a Harley rider, you're not allowed to...:shutup:

UNLESS ... it's the KB wave ... :innocent:

98tls
1st June 2011, 20:31
I guess I'm just a tin arsed bastard,but in a shit load of years riding on a shit load of back roads,although I've been surprised by roaming wildlife (and never hit any)...I've never been surprised by a stock movement,even in the bad old days when any sort of warning was unheard of. It's just a case of being aware of where and when you are...and being aware of your own mortality.

Sounds like something my old man would have said before collecting a Kamikaze ewe whilst heading through to Waiau many years ago on a not very old wire wheeled Katana,fucked him up pretty good and he still has whats left of the helmet,possibly a reminder of his mortality.

Monstaman
2nd June 2011, 09:17
Yeah, it's moa hilly than flat:shutup:

It is a groovy road even in the wet but deep wet poos and wet clay, I won't take the SMR over than again at least in winter for the lack of traction.

Don't mind a dirty bike from a great ride but ... a n d I want to know,

WHY does it stick (like shit to a blanket) literally ... I mean you can make adhesive from that crap

yet

WHY is it so slippery to ride on .

It must have been designed by a woman cos a bloke wouldn't do that! :shutup:

Aslan
2nd June 2011, 19:44
Steve, while in the area, did you pay a visit to your "favourite" rural bus shelter?

Hi Mike - no due to time constraints I gave the Mt Damper Road and the School Bus shelter a miss :)

warewolf
2nd June 2011, 20:13
Re Possums, I rode with a couple of good friends to do the 1000 Miler Grand Challenge a decade or two ago. That year we did a number of backroads nr Hamilton. I was the 3rd bike. The first bike would dazzle the possum. The second would hit the brakes & dazzle me. I would ALWAYS hit the possum...:confused: Decimated the nightlife, and kept me well awake.On one I did about that long ago, we came west over the Coromandels in the middle of the night. I crested a curved rise to spot a possum on the ideal line, with a 180 section hollow in it's back. I didn't alter my line, didn't feel a bump, and I spoke to a couple of dozen riders at the after-party - they'd all seen and done the same thing! The possum was still there in that state a couple of hours later. :D

The triple-whammy trick I've seen in cars, but with a rabbit. First car goes over it, second car sees rabbit pop up from underneath and they collect it on the back of the head while it's busy watching the first car receding, must be thinking "Sh!t that was...clonk!<clonk>". Third car sees rabbit spat out underneath number 2, wildly cartwheeling towards them, fur flying, cartoon style, it bounces off the windscreen and over the top! :lol:

any Kiwi who recoils in horror from cow pat needs to fuck off back to Australia.Cow pats not a Kiwi-only phenomena. Plenty of them in Aussie, too! :yes: And lots of rural Aussie roads are only one lane of bitumen - at least here you generally have a second lane to swerve on to.</clonk>

Ender EnZed
2nd June 2011, 22:11
Sounds like something my old man would have said before collecting a Kamikaze ewe whilst heading through to Waiau many years ago on a not very old wire wheeled Katana,fucked him up pretty good and he still has whats left of the helmet,possibly a reminder of his mortality.

Well I agree with him and I could probably be your old man's grandson, have never lived outside of a city and I hit a sheep last year. Mind you, the sheep lost. My views might be different if it hadn't.